ValueOptions

Updated September 5, 2014
2.8

ValueOptions CEO Heyward Donigan
Heyward Donigan

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement and work from home on average 1-2 days per week (in 6 reviews)

• Retention, low turn over and good benefits for leave/timeoff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would like to see the company bring back 401K match (in 7 reviews)

• No room for advancement, no employee incentives (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a very good experience as an Employee of VO

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Morrisville, NC

I worked at ValueOptions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work, good benefits, good people, this company has opportunities for growth and promotes internal for employees first before advertising externally. This company has a good open door policy. Most supervisors are lenient on the rules and tries to apply them to meet each employees needs while being fair to all employees.

Cons

too many favorites by supervisors

I'm a CCM who loves their job

Current Employee - Clinical Care Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than a year

Pros

support from co-workers and supervisors; ability to work from home; ability to speak to a variety of people with a variety of needs; I feel a great sense of satisfaction at each call as I know I have made a difference in their life.

Cons

it's a call center so we often have "back to back calls." but I was told that upfront in the interview and I enjoy the variety of calls.

I sense that management is aware that our jobs can be difficult as we often talk to members who are very upset,sad,angry,etc and take out their emotions of us. We are given constant feedback regarding that they realize how hard we work and that they appreciate what we do for our members. We are constantly given kudos for our hard work and our excellent customer service we provide to our members and to our co-workers. I find managment to be very supportive of all of us.

Clinical Care Manager

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at ValueOptions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits!! Fun working environment. Flexible manager

Cons

Monotanous, not a lot of variety in job duties, limited room for advancement

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

By far, the best career opportunity I have had.

Current Employee - Field Care Manager, Value Options New Mexico  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Field Care Manager, Value Options New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at ValueOptions

Pros

Management support, very high morale, accessability of management at all levels, corporate culture of respect, better than average compensation and benefits, clear expectations of job duties. Value Options New Mexico was a model of how all service centers should be operated, from both the standpoint of service to the consumers, to how the service center was run. For the duration of the 4 year contract which ended in 2009, there was relatively little turnover. Working there was like being in a nurturing extended family.

Cons

The high morale and great support brought out the best in the employees. However, good ideas from all but mangement were rarely passed on, and the company never fully benefitted from the potential they built. Value Options does not seem to be able to successfully perpetuate contract renewals in large contracts. The service centers are run from Virginia, but the further the service center location is from Virginia, the more out of touch corporate leadership seems to be.

Make sure the corporate culture of cohesiveness and respect actually permeates the individual service centers. Consistently staff the service centers, both commercial and public contracts, to ensure that workers do not burn out and create high turnover. Adequate staffing in contracts with razor thin profit margins will yield more profit by avoiding turnover.

Decent Employer

Current Employee - EAP Workplace Consultant  in  Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - EAP Workplace Consultant in Coppell, TX

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provides training for clinical staff, casual atmosphere, ability to work from home, opportunity to change positions internally with openings in new departments.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement, high expectations for low talk time in call queues (which can result in poor quality of care), 30 minute lunch breaks, clinical care managers micromanaged, very difficult to get highest level of performance on annual review, typically 2.5% annual increase, no 401k matching, vacation can be denied depending on coverage. Clinical care managers and UM staff do have tiered salaries and pay more for higher performers.

Recognize high performers in all departments and reward accordingly. Try to retain talented employees.

Great Company with good benefits

Former Employee - Marketing Production Specialist  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Production Specialist in Falls Church, VA

I worked at ValueOptions part-time for more than a year

Pros

The health benefits are reasonable priced and excellent very good teamwork in Marketing

Cons

No cons very flexible with work schedules and great teamwork amongst all employees

Great place to grow

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good leadership... Does the best it can with what it has... Room to grow.. Encouraged and challenged. Great co workers. really smart and dedicated IT staff; internal and external opinion. Retention, low turn over and good benefits for leave/timeoff

Cons

Slow to change though everyone wants to... Technology stack is aging but very robust nonetheless... Salaries not competitive... There comes a time when moving up becomes impossible given no one leaves and new positions/opportunities don't come by so often... Lacking financial backing for people development though it is something that mgmt wants

Focus on benefits and people development... You already have incredible talent and leadership in the industry... Value your employees...

Acceptable Work Environment

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good vacation time, CEU reimbursement, employee activities are decent and we play trivia every Friday.

Cons

The health insurance is HSA HDHC so you have no idea how much an office visit will cost.

Great company to start out with.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Latham, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Latham, NY

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starting out, this was a great company to get my foot in the door with. If you're dedicated, you can move up quickly, and if you've never had a professional job before, the money makes you feel rich. The biggest benefit the company offers is their paid leave. Starting out at 3 weeks a year, it bumps up to 4 weeks a year after 5 years or you become salaried, and a 5th week is added if you've been with the company 5 years AND are salaried.

Cons

As in many companies, a point is reached where you can no longer move up. The higher the rank within the company, the less turnover there is, so you end up getting locked into your position and accept your annual merit raises which hardly account for anything. From a benefit perspective, their 401K isn't the greatest. In my five plus years with the company, I've had them do a one time match which hardly accounted for anything. The sick time plan doesn't really make much sense either; you earn the time, but it's frowned upon to use it.

Very positive experience

I worked at ValueOptions

Pros

Supportive manager and varied work responsibilities
    Low turnover

Cons

No downsides noted at that time

Salaries should be reviewed

Worked for ValueOptions? Contribute to the Community!