Valve Corporation

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
4.4

Gabe Newell

Challenging, chaotic, interesting, surprisingly similar to other great companies

Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Valve Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Valve offers extremely generous benefits and perqs, and affords employees high levels of trust to do whatever they need to be productive. It is a privilege to work with the folks at Valve because nearly all are exceptionally accomplished, competent and eager to build something great. The environment really encourages employees to be positive and to focus on work that will directly impact the customer. Productivity is rewarded in part by peer review which makes employees accountable to their team. Changing teams/projects is usually easy, and is usually each employee's own decision. Employee autonomy is inherent in Valve's process.

Cons

Many of the ways in which Valve seeks to differentiate from other companies are not actually so valid. While it's true that Valve has no official job titles or promotions, compensation varies greatly among employees and many teams have an obvious pecking order. There is no formal management structure, but it's clear that some people have substantially more control over project direction and the work of others. Even though productivity is said to be the only metric that matters, people who are already connected or are accomplished social engineers will do just fine. Denying that all of these social forces are at work makes the problem intractable and difficult to even discuss.

For a company that makes so much money, Valve is surprisingly risk-averse. New projects, internal tools, dev infrastructure, and anything that doesn't contribute to a current product are met with disdain. Because teams are intended to be self-forming, it's rare that enough people will want to assume risk to all collectively embark on a new project. It's too safe and too profitable to just contribute to something that's already successful. Even though failure is supposed to be tolerated and even encouraged so that employees will try new ideas and experiments, there is little evidence of this. After a few rounds of bonuses, folks learn quickly what is rewarded, and what is not.

Valve's success has made folks arrogant, and this contributes to the problem of how new ideas are considered and discussed. Dogmatic thinking is actually common because people can always point to a great success in the past and use this to justify why everything should continue as it is. Some folks at Valve do not want the company to grow. Valve already has an incredibly strong profit/employee ratio. Why dilute it? This line of thinking crops up in project discussions as well, and causes many ideas to be dismissed because they seem too niche/unprofitable (at the time).

I think that funding separate companies would be the best way for Valve to invest in new/different product areas. Identify capable teams who already work together and let them make their own rules and set their own goals.

Be more honest about management structure. It will go a long way toward helping people make better decisions and will create more trust among employees.

Great work if you can get it, and by "get it", I mean "understand it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Valve Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, unbelievable perks. Very smart and talented coworkers with impressive high-profile experience in the game and film industries. Got first-hand experience with the fabled Valve flat hierarchy. Family-friendly schedule (at least for me). Enjoyed almost everyone I worked with directly.

Cons

The downside to the lack of hierarchy for me was a huge amount of confusion over roles on given projects. Employees are encouraged to take risks and chart one's own course in terms of initiating projects and/or choosing projects to work on, which sounds good, but ultimately left me constantly second-guessing my bigger decisions. I also don't think I picked up many skills that have benefited me outside this company.

my review

Former Employee - Programmer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Valve Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great culture to be working in.

Cons

that all companies aren't run like this!

keep up the good work

Great Company

I have been working at Valve Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- awesome work environment
    - very talented people
    - great benefits

Cons

nothing bad about this company

It's like being in high school again.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Valve Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, sometimes good projects, good talent

Cons

The lack of solid structure in management reduces the company to schoolyard politics where bullies and loudmouths reign.

Don't make promises to prospective employees that you're not planning on keeping. Stop pushing the hype about flat management structure. It's not true at all.

The best company to work for in the tech industry

Current Employee - N/A in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - N/A in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Valve Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly empowering. No management. No red tape. Salaries are above top of the industry. And families come first - work-life balance pretty much couldn't be better. Not constrained by public/outside investment - entirely self-funded, so making customers happy is all we have to worry about. Easy to make an individual contribution that impacts millions of customers in a positive way - every day. Whole company takes everyone to freaking Hawaii (with families) every year - not to work, just to chill out. And so far, things the company doesn't do well have gotten identified and have become the target of concerted redesign and improvement.

It's not the superficial workplace niceties that make Valve awesome - those are a given. It's the substance of the place that is different.

Also, Gaben's beard.

Cons

Not having a boss often makes it hard (at least temporarily) to know whether I'm doing the right thing. Let's see, what else... Company doesn't yet have an office in Hawaii.

N/a. Maybe I should use this space to advise myself... Uh, use breath mints more often. Remember to smile.

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Valve Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with the smartest people in the industry, you get to take on as much responsibility as you are capable of, you get to directly influence and make decisions about product direction, no on else has the authority to force you into a decision you don't agree with, compensation and benefits are amazing

Cons

You will be held to very high standards, having to take on more responsibility and make higher level product decisions can mean additional pressure/stress vs more narrow roles at other companies

Keep hiring only the very best and don't let standards slip as the company grows

Good start for engineers alike

I worked at Valve Corporation

Pros

Very good for engineers like myself

Cons

No cons at all, you know yeah, none

possibly the best game company to work for

I have been working at Valve Corporation

Pros

good quality of life, and being surrounded by creative people. there are many reasons to work at valve. the standards are pretty high, but they push you and really make you strive for the newest, best thing. there is no formal management structure, and responsibility is given on a competence level or if one asks for it. there is lots of room to try new things, so you feel like you are learning all the time. i have been at valve for many years and found it to be extremely rewarding, both in a business sense and personal one.

Cons

very competitive internally (high standards).

more insight into what's happening at the company, future plans.