Valve Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gabe Newell

Great Company

Pros- awesome work environment
    - very talented people
    - great benefits

Consnothing bad about this company

It's like being in high school again.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGood pay, sometimes good projects, good talent

ConsThe lack of solid structure in management reduces the company to schoolyard politics where bullies and loudmouths reign.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises to prospective employees that you're not planning on keeping. Stop pushing the hype about flat management structure. It's not true at all.

The best company to work for in the tech industry

N/A (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsAmazingly empowering. No management. No red tape. Salaries are above top of the industry. And families come first - work-life balance pretty much couldn't be better. Not constrained by public/outside investment - entirely self-funded, so making customers happy is all we have to worry about. Easy to make an individual contribution that impacts millions of customers in a positive way - every day. Whole company takes everyone to freaking Hawaii (with families) every year - not to work, just to chill out. And so far, things the company doesn't do well have gotten identified and have become the target of concerted redesign and improvement.

It's not the superficial workplace niceties that make Valve awesome - those are a given. It's the substance of the place that is different.

Also, Gaben's beard.

ConsNot having a boss often makes it hard (at least temporarily) to know whether I'm doing the right thing. Let's see, what else... Company doesn't yet have an office in Hawaii.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a. Maybe I should use this space to advise myself... Uh, use breath mints more often. Remember to smile.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and learn

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsYou get to work with the smartest people in the industry, you get to take on as much responsibility as you are capable of, you get to directly influence and make decisions about product direction, no on else has the authority to force you into a decision you don't agree with, compensation and benefits are amazing

ConsYou will be held to very high standards, having to take on more responsibility and make higher level product decisions can mean additional pressure/stress vs more narrow roles at other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring only the very best and don't let standards slip as the company grows

Good start for engineers alike

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good for engineers like myself

ConsNo cons at all, you know yeah, none

possibly the best game company to work for

Prosgood quality of life, and being surrounded by creative people. there are many reasons to work at valve. the standards are pretty high, but they push you and really make you strive for the newest, best thing. there is no formal management structure, and responsibility is given on a competence level or if one asks for it. there is lots of room to try new things, so you feel like you are learning all the time. i have been at valve for many years and found it to be extremely rewarding, both in a business sense and personal one.

Consvery competitive internally (high standards).

Advice to Senior Managementmore insight into what's happening at the company, future plans.

Worked for Valve Corporation? Contribute to the Community!