www.valvoline.com

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
3.1

John D. Barr

Pros
  • I get health benefits, 401k, vacation time, holidays off, and a Flexible Schedule (in 7 reviews)

• Great pay for starting off with no experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, bad working conditions low pay (in 7 reviews)

• And pray to God should you fall in the crosshairs of someone in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great First Job

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth , Training, Work with lots of different people, AVERAGE pay for starting job, not a lot of work while still staying busy, looks great on resumes due to mechanical aptitude you gain, hours are flexible benefits are very cheap and averagely decent, vacation after 1 year employed full time.

Cons

Upper management can be pushy, pay scale raises slowly 9-11.50 then assistant manager and up are better paid, higher raises not .10 every 6 months, need to take it completely upon self to move up almost have to be pushy towards managment

Less pressure on CSR's to sell, especially when no commission is paid, just makes employees bitter after time.

Great opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedules are usually short days, 5-6 hrs per day, for 6 days a week. Medical and dental plans are the best I've ever received from any employer. Fast-paced, fun, and friendly environment that recognizes and celebrates achievement. Learning how to properly perform minor maintenance work and checks. Evaluations and merit dates are very fair and more frequent than other companies. Training sessions are well done and very helpful.

Cons

Starting wages are low unless one is single and right out of high school. As with most car maintenance jobs, there is always a risk of serious injury, even with proper training. The best salespeople get promoted more often than the best leaders. Very hard to receive weekends off.

Focus more on the positives versus the negatives. In most jobs, promotion goes to those that are the most well versed in all areas of the job, not just the sales portion. Often times, great sales people will be content with a raise or bonus because that's what they do best - sell. Most of them are not fit to be managers or leaders of a team. Management should be handed to those that can perform the leadership duties and handle the responsibility of putting the right people in the right places. One store in particular, Store 7, needs to be remodeled or torn down. I remember upper management telling me that, "20 years ago, we used to do 8-10 minute oil changes!" You can't tell me that with ever-changing world that we live in today, upper management is boasting about the "glory days" of yesteryear. Change is good, unless you refuse to adapt.

Great place to build a career!!!

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

The people you work with, the pay is competitive , Management , Benefits etc... You get what you put in with this company, we are all a family and not just peers, bosses , employees.

Cons

Really none - the weather conditions I guess.

Keep engagement with the field going. There has been huge improvements the past couple years. Keep up he great work!

Underpaid and overworked..

I worked at Valvoline

Pros

You can get bonus if your store exceeds plan.

Cons

Overworked for the amount of pay you get. The company promises raises upon certifications and never give them out. Employees who are customer service advisors have their jobs threatenef if they don't meet HIGH goals; additionally, therr is no commission. Employees are required to stand on the rosd with signs at all times if no cars are present. Store managers only care for themselves and throw employees under the bus. This company wants "yes sir/yes ma'am" people and do not want you to voice opinions even when asked. General and area managers hate to hear criticism about their managers and will actually take it out on you if you bring something wrong to their attention. Lots of favoritism. Timecards are adjusted without notice, be aware of this.

Don't hire managers in training from out of company because Managers fail to properly train them (from my 3.5 years experience). If employees bring up concerns about store manager, do not assume the employee is wrong or acting out.

Learned a lot.

Current Employee - Certified Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Certified Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot about cars, and the experience you gain is usable outside of the workplace. It's a great place to talk shop about cars. And you may just find a few people to network with, who will work on your car for dirt cheap.

Cons

Company values are cool and all but it gets annoying having to hear that crap after so long. Not only that, but the job has a ton of rules when, in actuality, the job ain't all that serious. Sometimes in different stores there is the occasional know-it-all jerk who will take personal pride in scolding you for not following certain frivolous rules, but I digress. 11 hour shifts suck too.

It can be difficult to get time off, and many people in management take the company values way to seriously. It's almost like a cult sometimes.

very stressful job.

Current Employee - Senior Technician
    Current Employee - Senior Technician

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (less than an year)

Pros

if you love cars you will love this job.

Cons

very cliquy among co workers. so much stress.

stop pushing promotions and making techs do all the work.

Former Employee - Certified Technician in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Certified Technician in Memphis, TN

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compoany overall good hours if you need then all the training you will ever need and people that will work with you to get the job done.

Cons

Bad Schelling no time off 37+ hours a week not much time off to make plans overwork the new people to test them.

Great for a Beginning Job.

Current Employee - Senior Tech in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Tech in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast Paced, Easy, Fun, Benefits, Paid Vacations, Friendly Staff

Cons

You are paid very little compared to other mechanic shops, No commision, No compensation.
    Much of the profits rely on "Selling" in which the Customer Service Rep is not paid commission for selling because "it can cause dishonesty" yet the staff is pressured to "Sell, Sell, Sell" which in turn may make them dishonest to look good to their employers but without the actual commission deserved for Selling.

Individual Bonuses for meeting monthly quota distributed throughout the staff, not just the manager. Higher salaries.

Good company, questionable managers.

I have been working at Valvoline full-time

Pros

Great pay for an easy job, easy advancement (to a point), no experience necessary

Cons

Some poorly trained managers, not enough stores in Pittsburgh area for advancement.

Treat your employees with more respect. Be more understanding of situations.

I love working at Valvoline.

Current Employee - Senior Technician in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a senior technician and have been with valvoline for two years. I love my job! I get health benefits, 401k, vacation time, holidays off, and a Flexible Schedule.

Cons

You have to work with the elements, which you get used to. Could pay better. Hire people that actually want to work and you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate.

I believe that you should drug test and really take time before hiring someone.

Valvoline Photos