Valvoline

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015
3.1

John D. Barr

Pros
  • I get health benefits, 401k, vacation time, holidays off, and a Flexible Schedule (in 7 reviews)

• Great pay for starting off with no experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, bad working conditions low pay (in 7 reviews)

• And pray to God should you fall in the crosshairs of someone in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, good experience with a huge company.

Former Employee - Valvoline in Florida State, FL
    Former Employee - Valvoline in Florida State, FL

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training and support was great. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Best actors, not employees, usually got recognized, rewarded and/or promoted.

CSR role and sales tactics

Former Employee - Csr1 in Alton, IL
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Alton, IL

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent 401k and Health. Safe environment. VIOC has excellent sales training for a people who are new to sales. Very good closing tactics, customer complaint resolution skills, goal setting and follow up, etc.

Cons

Many district managers have been with the company longer than corporate level staff. There is obvious friction in some districts. The new sales tactics leave open opportunities for CSR roles to become overly aggressive. That is hard to manage when store management has to hit such high goals.

Focus on value added services and overhead reduction. Be more price conscious, premium oil is a niche concern. Mass marketing such high prices compared to local competition makes new customer acquisition cost a very real problem. District management seems to overlook local competitive forces. Ashland can supply a very fast, very affordable oil change and price compete aggressively at a local scale to absorb volume. That may be better than having a base price for a basic service stand at %20 higher than local shops.

As long as managed well its great job, if you like working your way up n setting goals!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative and Top Tech in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative and Top Tech in Waltham, MA

I worked at Valvoline full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love my shop because once you show your committed and hard working its a second family and you work, play, greive, and celebrate together as a family. I have never worked for a such close knit company...though that may just be my store. But I absolutely love everyone I work with!

Cons

Management is null at times, and hours are long, pay isn't amazing, but ide rather love my job and get paid less, then work my way up, then hate my job and kill my soul.

Set goals for people and keep to it. Give direction and don't hold anyone back from learning and moving ahead. And if you are a manager then don't just sit in the office but help your teammates and have team meetings to up moral every morning.

Cool place to work.

Current Employee - Technician in Milford, CT
    Current Employee - Technician in Milford, CT

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun work envorinment, opportunity to learn hands on

Cons

Can be too fast paced at times for some people

Keep an eye on employees

If your into it.....

Current Employee - Valvoline Customer Service Advisor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Valvoline Customer Service Advisor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

-Possible bonus
    -Great opportunity to work with customers

Cons

-Working in cold weather sucks
    -Management not consistent with training
    -Training classes cut short
    -Week-of job schedules

-Make people want to come back and know they are wanted

Crap unless your a Area Manger or higher

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

Decent pay with benefits. But not for the bs of going backwards when you are salary

Cons

long hours, not a family friendly schedule. You only get 1 weekend off a month if you are a store level employee while corp employees are monday-Friday. Having to work while sick even puking and running a fever. Good old boy society with only people that only suck up will move up. Promoting people only on sales. Expecting people to spend a $100 every time they come in. Lying to customers about extra services. Area managers that just sit at the office or drive around in their cars acting to work.

make the employees actually feel like you care. Maybe give Scms 2 weekend off a month to spend with there family and friends. Area managers should be required to work in stores a few times a month so they actually remember how it is to be a store level employee. Don't micro manage employees

Senior Technician for a year, used to love it!

Current Employee - Senior Technician
    Current Employee - Senior Technician

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

Good benefits, 401k, Health, Dental, Vision, and Paid Vacation.

Cons

Once people get used to the job, they become lazy. People don't want to clean and it leads to more work for the employees that really do their part. If everyone stayed clean while they worked, we would not have to spend so much time doing it after our scheduled hours. Most of our locations are understaffed, which again, leaves more work for the good employees. And, the managers are overworked and underpaid. If they are short staffed they have to put in sometimes, and excess of 60 hours a week. And they are only paid for forty. But when you pay 9-something an hour, you can not expect your employees to be outstanding; well at least not for the amount of work we do for the money. They should easily pay a technician 14 or 15 dollars per hour for the workload they endure. I am a senior tech and have been there over a year (senior tech is a management position, mind you) and i make 10 and some change per hour. Terrible.

Raise the wages, make better hiring decisions, and show more appreciation to the employees. We all work a lot harder for a lot more hours than you, and sometimes it feels like we have holes in our pockets, while our bills are piling up.

Entry level, and unrealistic expectations. Need I say more?

Current Employee - Technician In Training in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Technician In Training in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

Get to see all different types of cars that roll in.

Employees are tight knit as there are usually only 6-8 per store.

Decent hours, 7:30-7:30 on week days so you're never home late.

Customers are generally appreciative.

Plenty of room for advancement, if you're good enough in your supervisors eyes.

Cons

Strict three month training. If you are certified by the end of it you're golden, if not you're looking for another job. It doesn't matter if you're part time or not, you are rushed. Speed is key, if you don't speed up you're treated quite badly, as frustrations mount and concerns aren't voiced until it's too late.

Because the employees are so tight knit, new hires will undoubtedly be pushed to the side socially until they are able to prove themselves.

Favoritism runs rampant in my store, one of the employees freely using their cellphone to call auto repair places and the like.

Look at who you are promoting. When I'm being trained by someone who speaks so fast they're unintelligible to me, there's an issue. When I'm being left now that say verbatim, "Step up or step out", something is going wrong here.

Promotions to nowhere

Current Employee - Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employees are great to work with.
    The hours aren't bad
    The benefits are pretty good

Cons

The wages aren't great
    Little support from corporate with customer grievances
    There are lots of promotions available, but unless you're at least a service center manager, I wouldn't call it a career.

It was okay, the pay was above normal.

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

Everyone was always happy. The store manager was always helpful and worked as hard as the other emplyoees. The hours are flexible and it was rarely understaffed.

Cons

Anyone above the store manager would forget what it was like to be in a store and set very unrealistic standards. The few times we would be understaffed it was hectic and no one else would come in.

Get it together.