Valvoline Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
3.2

John D. Barr

Pros
  • I get health benefits, 401k, vacation time, holidays off, and a Flexible Schedule (in 7 reviews)

• Great pay for starting off with no experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, bad working conditions low pay (in 7 reviews)

• And pray to God should you fall in the crosshairs of someone in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to build a career!!!

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

The people you work with, the pay is competitive , Management , Benefits etc... You get what you put in with this company, we are all a family and not just peers, bosses , employees.

Cons

Really none - the weather conditions I guess.

Keep engagement with the field going. There has been huge improvements the past couple years. Keep up he great work!

very stressful job.

Current Employee - Senior Technician
    Current Employee - Senior Technician

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (less than an year)

Pros

if you love cars you will love this job.

Cons

very cliquy among co workers. so much stress.

stop pushing promotions and making techs do all the work.

Valvoline

Former Employee - Certified Technician in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Certified Technician in Memphis, TN

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compoany overall good hours if you need then all the training you will ever need and people that will work with you to get the job done.

Cons

Bad Schelling no time off 37+ hours a week not much time off to make plans overwork the new people to test them.

Great for a Beginning Job.

Current Employee - Senior Tech in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Tech in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast Paced, Easy, Fun, Benefits, Paid Vacations, Friendly Staff

Cons

You are paid very little compared to other mechanic shops, No commision, No compensation.
    Much of the profits rely on "Selling" in which the Customer Service Rep is not paid commission for selling because "it can cause dishonesty" yet the staff is pressured to "Sell, Sell, Sell" which in turn may make them dishonest to look good to their employers but without the actual commission deserved for Selling.

Individual Bonuses for meeting monthly quota distributed throughout the staff, not just the manager. Higher salaries.

Bad Company

Former Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Need a job without experience

Cons

You are expected to lie and cheat to customers. Low pay, for all positions.. They will fire you for any reason. If you can not sale extra items to customers on a regular basis, you will be let go. Few breaks or lunches, sometimes none. Horrible scheduling, changes from day to day with no consistency. Part time employees expected to work shifts of as little as one hour a day. Employees expected to work at multiple locations without advanced notice or compensation for travel . Manager expected to work long hours sometimes 6-7 days a week, for months at a time with no extra pay. They will deny you raises and bonuses previously promised without reason. Little or no benefits.

Treat your employees as a valuable resource, instead of cheap expendable labor. Be honest and upfront with customers, and employees. Focus less on add on sales on more on customer satisfaction, and retention.

Good company, questionable managers.

I have been working at Valvoline full-time

Pros

Great pay for an easy job, easy advancement (to a point), no experience necessary

Cons

Some poorly trained managers, not enough stores in Pittsburgh area for advancement.

Treat your employees with more respect. Be more understanding of situations.

Great job for 18 yr olds. Bad for anyone else

Current Employee - Senior Technician in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy job, great hours, if you can sell headphones and an ipod to the deaf, you'll do great.

Cons

Training is heavily dependent upon who trains you, if at all for the more "advanced" things. All about sales, sell sell sell.

Always felt like it was Corporate / Marketing against the individual stores, they constantly send out coupons to "irregular customers" however everyone can get at least a 5 dollar off coupon. So when your net revenue goes down, they act like everyone would spend $20 on an air filter, or 150 on a trans service. Balance out the coupons and give your workers some slack. Also, even a 5% commission on sales of additional services would help promote the drive to sell. Nothing like having a "ticket" of over 400 dollars and all you get is a pat on the back and a "You should be able to do this everytime."

Needs improvement

Current Employee - Certified Technician in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Technician in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy work, customer interaction is great, good learning experience for people new to automotive, and upper management is very friendly and engages in conversations with non management employees and seems to actually care what you have to say.

Cons

New employees get overwhelmed quickly with minimal training, by the way the training is a joke, trying to advance is like having teeth pulled, no one seems willing to help train for new positions. Store Managers easily forget where they came from and expect everything to be perfect and disregards all experience and backgrounds other employees have.

Actually listen to employee concerns and stop acting like your the best of the best. Respect the little guy because in reality they make the company money not the CSR's ability to sell services.

I love working at Valvoline.

Current Employee - Senior Technician in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am a senior technician and have been with valvoline for two years. I love my job! I get health benefits, 401k, vacation time, holidays off, and a Flexible Schedule.

Cons

You have to work with the elements, which you get used to. Could pay better. Hire people that actually want to work and you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate.

I believe that you should drug test and really take time before hiring someone.

Not Part of the Crowd

Former Employee - Valvoline Customer Service Advisor in Hesperia, CA
    Former Employee - Valvoline Customer Service Advisor in Hesperia, CA

I worked at Valvoline part-time (less than an year)

Pros

New experience for those interested in the field.

Cons

Compensation sucks, if you hire on part-time they knock your hours down. I was hired part time to be a CSA, was basically thrown into working top side oil changes immediately instead of being trained to learn CSA role. As the weeks went out, my hours went from 15, to 12 to 9 until I was let go. I'm delirious not to be working there anymore. Got ranted at if I didn't know the procedures right away. Not everyone learns at the same pace.

New management for Hesperia store. The current one is well, I can't say it on here.

Valvoline Photos