Valvoline

Valvoline Reviews

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

John D. Barr

Pros
  • I get health benefits, 401k, vacation time, holidays off, and a Flexible Schedule (in 7 reviews)

• Great pay for starting off with no experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, bad working conditions low pay (in 7 reviews)

• And pray to God should you fall in the crosshairs of someone in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Warren, OH

I worked at Valvoline

Pros

schedule usually flexible, health benefits are great, great team environment

Cons

sales goals can be tough to reach at times but training and help is always available

good people to work with not a good company

I worked at Valvoline

Pros

50% off of services and oil change

Cons

every week you working different days and hours. no set schedule. dirty place to work.

stop playing favortism

Training needs to be consistant

Former Employee - Technician
    Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Valvoline (less than a year)

Pros

They try to accommodate personal schedule. Unless your Store manager has a stick. Always learning new things. You will learn Sales, Technical and Customer Service. Make sure you practice your script and be sincere. Customers will complain, but that's mostly because they don't know how to work on their own cars, or to lazy to. Everything that you are trained to do is for a purpose. Always maintain safety first. Also, forget about what you know about cars. That will just trip you up during your training.

Cons

Some store managers go through candidates like crazy! If you don't learn in enough time your gone! If your too slow, your gone! If they dont like you and they cant fire you they will get you to quit. One way they can do this is by not allowing you to finish your training. Claiming that you suck at whatever your supposed to learn to keep practicing till the clock runs out then they can just fire you. You have 90 days. or your gone!

Moving poeple around all over town is not a good practice if your interested in keeping your people. the pay sucks. You might do better with higher pay. Make sure if you are training 2 or more people that you give them each a fair shake at learning the ropes. You will keep more people.

Favoritism

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

Company outings & decent pay only after busting your butt to get a bonus Is the pay decent for the amount of work and stress they bring to the table.

Cons

They let a customers perseption determine who the want running the company. No matter what record numbers your putting in there wallet. If your family though you will get rushed right to the top. For child support purposes though so that's fine. Lol

To uper management fix what you have instead of buying more problems.

Better on paper

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

Helping customers understand why it's important to take care of their car. What valvoline stands for & believes in is wonderful
     The store I worked for had a poor manager.

Cons

Store I worked for was constantly out of products.... oil, air filters, wipers, etc. They have sales expectations which were fine as long as there were actually products in stock to sell. I was brain dead bored with the job. Physically you will be tired but mentally the job lacks simulation.

Train your store managers how to properly manage inventory. A store being out of oil is like going to the beach & them being out of sand. It's embarrassing for the rep & the Co to tell a customer we can't service their car!

Great First Job

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth , Training, Work with lots of different people, AVERAGE pay for starting job, not a lot of work while still staying busy, looks great on resumes due to mechanical aptitude you gain, hours are flexible benefits are very cheap and averagely decent, vacation after 1 year employed full time.

Cons

Upper management can be pushy, pay scale raises slowly 9-11.50 then assistant manager and up are better paid, higher raises not .10 every 6 months, need to take it completely upon self to move up almost have to be pushy towards managment

Less pressure on CSR's to sell, especially when no commission is paid, just makes employees bitter after time.

Great opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Schedules are usually short days, 5-6 hrs per day, for 6 days a week. Medical and dental plans are the best I've ever received from any employer. Fast-paced, fun, and friendly environment that recognizes and celebrates achievement. Learning how to properly perform minor maintenance work and checks. Evaluations and merit dates are very fair and more frequent than other companies. Training sessions are well done and very helpful.

Cons

Starting wages are low unless one is single and right out of high school. As with most car maintenance jobs, there is always a risk of serious injury, even with proper training. The best salespeople get promoted more often than the best leaders. Very hard to receive weekends off.

Focus more on the positives versus the negatives. In most jobs, promotion goes to those that are the most well versed in all areas of the job, not just the sales portion. Often times, great sales people will be content with a raise or bonus because that's what they do best - sell. Most of them are not fit to be managers or leaders of a team. Management should be handed to those that can perform the leadership duties and handle the responsibility of putting the right people in the right places. One store in particular, Store 7, needs to be remodeled or torn down. I remember upper management telling me that, "20 years ago, we used to do 8-10 minute oil changes!" You can't tell me that with ever-changing world that we live in today, upper management is boasting about the "glory days" of yesteryear. Change is good, unless you refuse to adapt.

Passionate organization

Former Employee - Regional Manager - Overseas Market
    Former Employee - Regional Manager - Overseas Market

I worked at Valvoline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career opportunity and independence to contribute to job.

Cons

Could get stagnant if performance is mediocre / transfers can disrupt family life to an extent.

Great place to build a career!!!

I have been working at Valvoline

Pros

The people you work with, the pay is competitive , Management , Benefits etc... You get what you put in with this company, we are all a family and not just peers, bosses , employees.

Cons

Really none - the weather conditions I guess.

Keep engagement with the field going. There has been huge improvements the past couple years. Keep up he great work!

Underpaid and overworked..

I worked at Valvoline

Pros

You can get bonus if your store exceeds plan.

Cons

Overworked for the amount of pay you get. The company promises raises upon certifications and never give them out. Employees who are customer service advisors have their jobs threatenef if they don't meet HIGH goals; additionally, therr is no commission. Employees are required to stand on the rosd with signs at all times if no cars are present. Store managers only care for themselves and throw employees under the bus. This company wants "yes sir/yes ma'am" people and do not want you to voice opinions even when asked. General and area managers hate to hear criticism about their managers and will actually take it out on you if you bring something wrong to their attention. Lots of favoritism. Timecards are adjusted without notice, be aware of this.

Don't hire managers in training from out of company because Managers fail to properly train them (from my 3.5 years experience). If employees bring up concerns about store manager, do not assume the employee is wrong or acting out.

Valvoline Photos