Van Andel Research Institute

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
3.1

CEO

Could not ask for a better employer!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance! Amazing-co-workers that are passionate about their job and the organization! Management encourages growth and development!

Cons

At this current time, I cannot think of any cons.

Beautiful on the outside - disaster on the inside

Former Employee - Development Communications and Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Development Communications and Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stunning state of the art facility in great downtown location. Opportunity to work with some incredible scientific minds. Chance to feel like you're making an impact and helping people battling cancer. Vacation builds up quickly. Nice 401k match.

Cons

Where to begin? No real path or structure for advancement...It just depends who you are and who you work for. Relatively low pay (on administration side) compared to local market. Culture is harsh, dog eat dog. Only those who are willing to do whatever they're told, are "successful" long-term. Employees with talent, drive, knowledge in their fields are driven out by complacent/uneducated management. Tons of turnover on the administration side - one department went through a dozen employees within about a year. Too many politics to focus on what everyone is really there to do.

Have someone in charge who can actually make (and enforce) decisions instead of a CEO who is incredibly disconnected from the real issues. Get your upper management under control. Work on establishing respect on all levels...learn to treat people like people, not disposable place holders... and really refocus on what everyone is there for: saving lives.

Van Andel Research Institute Response

Oct 8, 2014Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate the time you have provided in sharing your thoughts on VAI. We take great pride in our facilities and the work which is taking place here.

We
    ... More

VAI is a very politically challenging environment to work in.

I have been working at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, excellent benefits, great location

Cons

Best advice is to keep your head down, do your job, and stay out of all the politics and game playing.

Adopt a no bullying policy, especially among managers.

Van Andel Research Institute Photos