Van Kampen Investments

www.vankampen.com

Van Kampen Investments Reviews

3.5

Ed Wood III

Good Company to work for; Great learning experience.

Former Employee - Portfolio Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Portfolio Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at Van Kampen Investments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company culture is one of professionalism, knowledge, and collaboration. I loved the company, the culture, the willingness to help and share. This job taught me a lot about mutual funds. I was challenged with the Series 6 and 63 exams, which was a great achievement.

Cons

Great company-only downside is lack of opportunities for growth.

Great company while it existed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Van Kampen Investments full-time

Pros

Great group of people before the lay offs.

Cons

Some managers spent too much time sabotaging instead of doing their job.

Recognize and reward.

Poor Communication in leadup to transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Van Kampen Investments

Pros

- Good benefits, 4 weeks vacation time when hired
    - Good name recognition
    - Senior management not afraid to admit where they were weak
    - Flexible with work hours

Cons

- Left employees hanging out to dry when news of sale was making its way through the news, all employees left wondering if their jobs were still going to be existing while top management sat idly by.
    - Never really brought into the Morgan Stanley fold, will be interesting to see if they are a greater part of the Invesco team.

All top management is going to be cut loose when the transaction goes through, kind of a moot point now.

Quality organization, bad times

Former Employee - Analyst in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Van Kampen Investments

Pros

Great environment to learn and grow - problems right now with current financial market make job security obviously questionable - you will need to decide how bad you want to work in finance right now, given the absolutely abysmal position of the market. If you are dedicated to finance, I would recommend reading the FT/Journal on a daily basis, having a strategy for investing $10,000 in the market, being able to talk about petrol prices, and generally having solid examples of your ability to prove yourself in the industry. Track record of success my friend, always important to show.

Cons

Market is weakest in decades - but this should be apparent to you - and instead of saying, "Well, that means I'm not going to apply" - you should be saying, "I'm going to get in on the ground floor, before things start picking up again, and position myself head of the pack". Think smarter.

Try to weather the storm - understand that you've got lots of pressure coming down from all over, but stay focused and only sacrifice the necessary pieces.

good opportunity, make sure you budget your income for the down years

Former Employee - Internal Sales Consultant in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Internal Sales Consultant in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Van Kampen Investments

Pros

had solid funds to offer to FAs, so it was just a matter of getting through to them. great training and great seminar support. Value added could really get you in the door to some big FAs if you knew how to work that into business it worked in your favor.

Cons

volital industry to work in. When the markets went down, your income really suffered and part of the compensation was paid out quarterly, so it was hard to budget. The commission checks were paid out monthly and always had the required 25% taken out in federal taxes even if you didn't come close to paying 25% in federal taxes. This was a payroll decision and could have been corrected. Depending on the external partner you had, you will be a glorified secretary or a true sales person. Make sure you get some feed back from other internals on who you will be working with.

Make things like payroll work for the internals and help with marketing support. We need more of a uniform communication across different devisions. Several times we would get request or mailed in marketing request material and didn't even know that we started a new offering.

Regional Wholesaler at Van Kampen

Current Employee - Regional Wholesaler
    Current Employee - Regional Wholesaler

I have been working at Van Kampen Investments

Pros

the pay was okay, the territories were relatively small and therefore there were few overnights and they had a plethora of products

Cons

Senior management was indifferent to sale people. Compensation package changed from year to year and territory assignments were changed indiscriminantly

Most wholesalers are willing and able to adapt to changes in compensation and territory assignments with the proper communication from management

Great place to work

Former Employee - Compliance
    Former Employee - Compliance

I worked at Van Kampen Investments

Pros

Great benefits, competent management.

Great work/life balance.

Challenging work and interesting issues to handle on a regular basis.

Cons

Communication of overall corporate strategy and goals could be better.

Try to communicate the organizational objectives more regularly and clearly.