Van Ru Reviews

Daniel Calderon

1. collections

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Van Ru full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Van Ru for over 15 years. It is my honest opinion that if you are willing to come to work every day and make an honest effort to achieve and learn you will be fairly compensated AND can be promoted. No company wants to lose talented people-Van Ru is no exception and therefore when they see someone with talent they will pay them and promote them. As for the stress, the collection industry can be a very stressful one but that is not something you can blame on Van Ru itself. I have been with several other agencies prior to being at Van Ru I can say with certainty I am much happier at Van Ru than any of the previous agencies. As for the management style, if you come at them like they owe you a living you will be met with resistance but in my opinion that is the way it should be.

Cons

I cant really think of any. Maybe that is why I have been there so long!

Advice to Management

Never lose sight of the fact that calling people and asking them for money when they are financially struggling can be very stressful. Do things to make the floor upbeat and have some compassion for your employees when they are having a tough day.

2. Meh..

Current Employee - Collection Representative in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Collection Representative in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Van Ru

Pros

*Only 40 hours per week
    *Good health benifits-fairly low cost

Cons

*Very hard to start working there, skill wasn't considered.
    *Takes away commission/bonuses at end of month for petty reasons, their contract gives them authority to turn one small mistake into taking away your entire bonus. Being 5 minutes late twice means 1/3 of your pay commission being taken away.
    *Policies constantly change and the communication within the company is poor.
    *The number of directors and upper management personnel is very high compared to the number of collectors, making it difficult for the company to make much money.

Advice to Management

This is a family owned business and until they started paying attention to their business it will go into the ground as current upper management isn't paying attention to the company.

3. This place is a dump.

Former Employee - Debt Collector Department of Ed in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Debt Collector Department of Ed in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Van Ru full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid every other Friday.

Cons

Everything. This is a review for the Department of Ed contract. This place is a dump that does not take care of their employees and treats them like garbage. While working there I consistently hit my goals and was still treated like garbage. STAY AWAY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!!! This company is a joke that is run by clowns. They change their rules and their commision structures daily and don't tell you till they are writing you up for it. Or till you claim your commision and are then told that it was changed and that you didn't hit your number. Trust me look elsewhere if you do take this job plan on looking for another one in about 6 months.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Get rid of management.

5. One of the worst employers I've ever had.

I worked at Van Ru

Pros

Good base pay if you can stand the job and actually continue to work there.

Cons

Shabby management comparable to any third party collection company. Dishonest management and a "We don't care if you work here or not" attitude makes for a "wonderful" atmosphere. Seriously, if you're reading this because you're considering employment, go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Don't fire people because they were hospitalized and bring you documentation. Then deny them unemployment. That's just not very human of you.

6. Collecting on consumer debt that is many years post due.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Van Ru

Pros

The Bonus structure wasn't bad

Cons

They would fire you in a heart beat

Advice to Management

implement a Retraining program

7. Hell....

I worked at Van Ru full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are fun, supervisor was cool

Cons

Hours suck, People curse at you over the phone all day, or never answer

8. Very mismanaged

Current Employee - Anonymous in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Van Ru full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The bonus money is great is the don't try and cheat you.

Cons

Lack of management and fairness. Will jip you out of money owed to you

Advice to Management

Manage!

9. OK Company Despite Ridiculous Corporate Attitude

Former Employee - Collection Representative in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Collection Representative in Largo, FL

I worked at Van Ru full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good local management team. Progressive and motivated

Cons

Corporate management still has a 1980 attitude towards employees despite spouting propaganda about being a bottoms up company

Advice to Management

Hire a TQM specialist and develop a program for Van Ru

10. This is one of the best from what I've seen so far.

Current Employee - Collector in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Collector in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Van Ru full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, even though you are required to work 2 nights a week and two Saturdays a month. If you work a Saturday, you can let management know how you plan on reducing your hours during the week. Very positive work environment. Everyone is friendly and folks dress professionally. People are respectful and don't use foul language in the workplace. Some of the agencies where I've worked had an undesirable work environment. Management wants you to succeed. If you don't make commission, you still have an opportunity to make other monthly incentives, like a department or mid month bonus for attendance and being in compliance. Excellent Training for 3 weeks, for those with or without prior experience.

Cons

Low starting salary. It would help if they would increase it a few more dollars. Long commute to and from work. Kind of stressful because you can't control who answers the phone so you spend most of your time leaving messages. Lots of rules from the client (one of the major credit cards) constant monitoring, following FDCPA and having to say a Tape disclosure advising customers that the line is being monitored and recorded. You could lose a portion if not all of your bonus if miss not saying the name of the company, mini miranda, tape disclosure and not identifying your first and last name, along with the name of the company. Pay schedule is the 15th and the 31 which can be difficult on a single household income. Paperless environment, so you have to use the tools on the computer to look up information and they provide you with an marker and dry ease board.

Advice to Management

Offer more incentives, like a gas card for $45, Movie tickets or tickets to sporting events like Major League Baseball or NFL.

11. Nice place to work, but very high stress.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/collector
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/collector

I have been working at Van Ru

Pros

The hours. They have flex hours. I enjoyed the work and it was not a bad company to work for. The work is stressful, but rewarding. Management does respect what we do and does realize how hard it is to deal with customers who have defaulted on loans or credit cards.
    Management backs you up when dealing with diffcult customers. They are always willing to take the phone call from you and don't expect you to have to deal with abusive customers. It is a good lace to work and would go back to work there if i needed to.

Cons

The pressure can sometimes be to much. You are dealing with people who have defaulted on loans and credit cards and are trying to avoid you. The customer can be abusive and it can really make you feel bad to try and collect money from people who really don't have it. You must have a strong backbone because you get a lot of sob stories from customers. This job is not not the faint of heart.
    I wish management woul promote more from within, they bring in outsiders instead of training the assocates that they already have. Help us relevie the stress.

Advice to Management

You need to have some stress relieve. Everyone is under pressure and some humor would help.