Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc

Robert S Brustlin

Great Place to Grow Professionally

Current Employee - Environmental Planner
    Current Employee - Environmental Planner

I have been working at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Fast-paced
    -Variety of meaningful and interesting projects
    -Opportunity to work with and learn from dynamic industry leaders
    -Good benefits
    -Focus on professional growth/development
    -Flexibility to work remotely
    -Management open to new ideas/encourages feedback both ways

Cons

-Very high billability targets
    -Some weeks require a lot of OT to meet deadlines

Continue to listen to employees and evolve as a company.

Unrealistically high billability targets can stress employees out when workload is slower or if they have essential (but not billable) work to complete such as interviews, staff meetings, etc.

Good for starting out as an environmental professional however limited options

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Watertown, MA

Pros

The variability in the work in the office and in the field. Given a lot of responsibility which definitely allowed me to grow and learn new things. Flexible work schedule to an extent if the company was not busy.

Cons

People who I have met in my or similar positions at different companies seemed to all be jaded environmentally and that was really overwhelming. They also seemed like they all fell into the jobs and just stayed rather than a career choice that they were excited about. The 100% bill-ability was very stressful for obvious reasons. The company culture was not as welcoming as one would hope for especially because of how people weren't excited about their work so hanging out with work "friends" was low on the list of priorities. Not much room at all for advancement and very small raises with very stressful time commitments with little notice (worked 20+ hours in one day because there were no enforced rules for a young associate and tried to do the job as cheaply as possible so long travel and long hours worked out to be more beneficial to the company than just springing for a hotel when you were working far away).

Create a more welcoming environment for younger generations with competitive salaries that allow for individuals to grow and feel excited about the company.

hire to fire, laid off within 11 months due to lack of work

Former Employee - Part of Land Development Group
    Former Employee - Part of Land Development Group

I worked at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great company benefits, very laid back culture

Cons

very poor management, managers cannot bring work on to the hands of production staff during the promised allocated time during your weekly schedule, resulting in scrambling of billable work in order to meet a very highly unrealistic 95% billable rate.

A couple months into my employment, I noticed that work repeated doesn't come through as planned, while managers will be either busy with their more "urgent matters" or took extended vacation, leaving production staff to a stand still.

get your act together. Your managers are short-sighted and understand a 95% billable rate is only possible if the managers have readily available billable work lined up for their production staff.

Poor Growth

I worked at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc

Pros

Direct leadership is good
    CEO is ok
    A good starter job, and learning potential.

Cons

No growth potential.
    Non-competitive salary
    A solid job for about 2 years and then move on or you will go no where.

VHB is a strong home-grown company with excellent projects and enjoyable co-workers.

Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

VHB has a strong entrepreneurial spirit and "can do" atmosphere. VHB is a well balanced mixture of civil engineers, environmental and water resources scientists, planners and landscape architects. VHB highly values project managers and technically oriented engineers equally.

Cons

Project managers work hard to bring work and the workload can be daunting at times, but fellow workers step up to share the load.

Keep the civil engineering core of the company central to the mission.

Transportation CAD Work

Current Employee - CAD Drafter II in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - CAD Drafter II in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My position specifically is a good way to start a career. I am intimately involved in all things transportation with clients I can grow with.

Cons

Small tedious work is inevitable as with any job. I am afraid my particular office fails to get large scale projects to break up the monotony.

Don't bother unless you're entry level.

Former Employee - Senior Transportation Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Transportation Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, good work-life balance for the most part, excellent and diverse projects if you're allowed to work on them.

Cons

I read on here that a dirty little secret is age discrimination. This is absolutely true, and I've witnessed it. Going along with that is that if you're brought in for a mid-level or higher level job, you will not have a chance to advance. Advancement is only for those who have been with the company since they were entry level. This is what they mean by "Generational Company."

When times get tough, there are constant layoffs, and the people who will go are the older ones and the mid-level people who haven't been around and who haven't been given good work or work at all to do. It can be a pleasant place to work for 2-5 years, but you WILL NOT advance or be given a fair chance to succeed. You'll have to move on to move up, and there's a good chance they'll make you move on before you want to anyway.

Give everyone the same fair chance to succeed.

In 2006, it was a somewhat disorganized company that lacked strategy and sound management

Former Employee - Communications in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Communications in Watertown, MA

I worked at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc as a contractor

Pros

Paid well. Benevolent work environment despite lack of clear direction and backroom complaining.

Cons

Lots of backstabbing and lack of business planning, perhaps because the managers are civil engineers, not manager with executive and administrative experience. At the time, the strategy was to simultaneously pay more and yell more to get results from employees when results were sub-par. In the marketing department, the problem was clearly a lack of planning.

Hire experienced managers. There is no reason to keep promoting engineers to their point of incompetence a la Peter Principle.

No corporate ladder to climb

I have been working at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Good group of people to work with.

Cons

Lack of training on systems and procedures. Lack of career advancement

Roll out a more formal training. Hire a training coordinator.

Great learning experience, poor growth and below average salary.

Current Employee - Traffic Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Traffic Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tons of amazing and smart senior people to learn and grow from.

Cons

There is a regimented ceiling so you feel like you are trying to fight to perform more than your peers.

Consider your junior staff to be the future of the company and be clear to the ones you really have goals for.