Vance Publishing

William (Bill) Vance

Good place to work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Vance Publishing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vance has integrity and the people that work there are good people. I've worked there many years and plan to work there many more years. Vance gives you the opportunity to make your own path.

Vance does not micro-manage employees - you have the freedom to do your job. They expect results, and if you are up to that challenge you will enjoy working here.

Vance is a great place to start your career, and stay if you can find your path. If not, Vance is great training for your next job.

Great profit sharing plan, the company generously shares its profits with employees and also offers a 401k plan and good health benefits for the size of company that it is.

Cons

Not everyone can see the career opportunity that Vance provides and may want a more structured career path.
    The rewards and advancement will not come quickly but for those that are patient, they will be rewarded.

All media companies have struggled in the past few years with the changing media environment. Vance has adapted better than most b-to-b media companies, and has always remained profitable and debt free.

Physical office environment could be better

Don't have any suggestions in this forum

Opportunity here, but won't be realized until president's departure.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Vance Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong brands, lots of talent.

Cons

President is awaiting retirement. Only making decisions in her best interest. CEO trusts her which is a shame. Bringing in friends instead of the right leadership. This company almost gets it right with changes and then she blows it.

Either sell or bring a president in that cares. Another round of leadership changes ahead. It is only a few months before everyone realizes recent mistakes made and the need for another round of changes.

Work here if you like being treated like you're just another pawn in their business game...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Vance Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have learned a lot while working here mainly because of all the responsibilities that were dumped on me. I worked with a great group of people who made coming to work worthwhile. Benefits are pretty standard but nothing off the charts. There is a walking path around the Lincolnshire office so that's nice in the summer.

Cons

Where to begin. There is a lot of mismanagement, decisions are made very rashly without consideration of the outcome, people are taken for granted, layoffs make no sense [and they happen pretty often], company is reorganized every few months leaving workers feeling confused and uneasy, compensation is low for the amount of work done, those who are praised don't do much of any work, if you work hard your work is not acknowledged. It's a backward place stuck in an old business model. There is no clear sign of growth within the company. Employee morale is low but management doesn't care... we're just pawns.

The company is small and the building is small. You would think that would mean you would actually get to know upper management. They never remember your name even if you've met them several times. There is a disconnect there. Business is not thriving so wake up and smell the coffee or retire already.

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Vance Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of travel if you like that sort of thing. Pay was good and the people you meet in the office and around the country are always interesting.

Cons

Again if you don't want to travel this is not the place for you. Also the workload can be heavy at times with 20 stories in a single section not unheard of.

Be careful who gets promoted from within. The people who rose to the top in my time therer weren't always the best fits for the job.

Reasons to avoid working at Vance

I worked at Vance Publishing

Pros

Some employees are talented and work hard to compensate for the unplanned, disorganized work they receive.

Cons

Managers neglect to take ownership of the process and leave issues to those without the authority to change unreasonable requests. Many deal with ongoing stress that could be avoided with better planning or management of people.

To be respectable, you must avoid favoritism by holding managers accountable to be more current in software and industry norms than those they hire, refine processes to avoid departments leaving their responsibilities to those who are more conscientious and will make up the difference, and prevent unfair treatment of those who are stepped on in order for some with tenure to look good.

Decent place to work

I worked at Vance Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to move up.

Cons

The pay is pretty low for entry level employees.

True to itself

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Vance Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Caring people, plenty of talent, not boring

Cons

Constant change, frequent platform migrations

Agreeing with some of the previous reviews I'd like to add that I appreciate what the company does for the industry, it's employees and myself. They try to listen by inviting ideas and in my opinion they haven't reached their full potential yet. That bruised and battered red, white and blue flag is still hanging from the front pole. It's unique path is not easy or joyous, yet it's necessary. We can overcome the trials which the change brings to test our resilience by caring for the team which ultimately causes a return to yourself.

Little respect for employees

I worked at Vance Publishing

Pros

There are some employees who are trying their best to help the company and they are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The company is rudderless. There is no communication with employees. Therefore, morale is very low.

Treat your employees with the respect they deserve.

Some work hard, others take advantage

I worked at Vance Publishing

Pros

Nice location, some capable, talented people

Cons

Those who have seniority, avoid accountability to manage well. Most are expected to be professional, while some key positions can make others lives miserable.

Don't allow some to act unprofessionally toward others or avoid teamwork, regardless of their position.

Get me out of HERE!!!

I have been working at Vance Publishing full-time

Pros

Employees are very passionate. Some of the brands are still strong in their respective markets.

Cons

Management is a mess. Communication is abysmal. There is no direction. The CEO needs to leave before the company is driven into the ground.

Sell... Sell... Sell...