Vancouver Institute of Media Arts

Vancouver Institute of Media Arts Reviews

2.8

CEO

So far so good.

Current Employee - Instructor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancouver Institute of Media Arts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like working with the Dean of Animation, nice guy and listens to my feedback. I look forward to working with him more in upcoming projects.

Cons

I would like to see more equipment updates; I believe the school should provide tablets for all students enrolled, since it is a pretty important tool for animation.

I think they should hire more part time instructors; so the students can have more feedback on their work.

Low pay for teaching!

Current Employee - Media Instructor
    Current Employee - Media Instructor

I have been working at Vancouver Institute of Media Arts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours and having full control over materials

Cons

very low pay per hour for part-time instructors

A decent place to teach and work with other industry professionals.

Former Employee - Game Art Instructor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Game Art Instructor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Vancouver Institute of Media Arts

Pros

Vanarts is a well established media arts institution located conveniently in downtown Vancouver. There is a variety of courses to teach there and all the instructors are industry professionals. By developing a well-rounded curriculum of visual, media and performing arts, VanArts has created an educational environment that encourages collaboration between teachers from different faculties. Each shift is about 3 hours long and the schedules each term can be flexible. Most staff members already work full time jobs at other companies in their respective fields but teach part-time at Vanarts for some supplementary work. The class sizes are generally small with around 10-15 students each. The working atmosphere is welcoming and relaxed for the most part and there is adequate resources and support for instructors to teach their lessons.

Cons

The management aspect of the school is poorly organized. There is a lack of communication between the instructors, such was myself, and the administrative team. The reluctant attitude by the school leaders to improve classroom equipment for the game art program for instance, ultimately thwarts the learning of the students and makes teaching harder for the instructors. Unless it is urgent, the school generally neglects the needs of its staff and students. When it comes to termination of an employee there are no warnings, emails, notices, or anything in writing for the individual. The school also takes longer than 6 months to mail out ROE letters.

As a trade school, It is critical for the leaders of Vanarts to educate themselves about the needs of the working industry and implement similar working conditions into this institute. In the game art faculty for example, every student should have 2 functional monitors instead of 1, and the curriculum should include all aspects of video game art and not just focusing on 3 limited programs. Teachers should also be granted access to basic privileges like installing software on their own machines.