Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Vanderbilt University Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos

Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • It boasts talented and well-rounded students, as well as a beautiful campus and tremendous resources(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, great university, great city(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student drama" which resulted in duplicate efforts among research group members and myself(in 6 reviews)

• Cost of living isn't cheap, but certainly not as bad as, say, NYC(in 3 reviews)

Find your niche

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat people to work with. Seeks and is open to innovative ideas. Motivated and interesting students. With such a large campus lots of resources. Most of the HR Consultants are fabulous.

ConsAs with most large organizations, there can be significant red tape and politics. This can slow down the process of trying to impact change or create something new. The pay isn't great either.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no doubt it is a tough job. I would encourage top leadership if you say you are being transparent, than be transparant before the Tennessean releases more information than you have shared. Otherwise just say we will share as much as we are able.

What i think about vanderbilt uni.

Plant Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsIts a good place to work

ConsH.R needs to change some their policies

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your best employees go easily

Certain times of the year are very hectic, otherwise, you more or less get to decide your own schedule

ProsGreat learning environment with a lot of resources

ConsCan be hard to find support for different career goals

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Assistant

ProsThe people are great and the campus is beautiful (it is a national arboretum after all)! The food on and off campus is delicious.

ConsIf you commute, parking permits can cost a lot of money and you may have to walk a bit to get to your office.

A good, independent summer internship experience for high school or early college student

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Pros1. Mentors are helpful to a healthy extent, providing assistance and tips as needed
    2. Relatively stable as a large institution
    3. Quite a bit of mobility between labs if one fails

Cons1. Some projects are dull and monotonous
    2. Some mentors aren't around most of the time due to conferences, travel, etc
    3. Funding typical of academic institution (read: sparse)
    4. Employee benefits are also sparse

Awesome place to work

Trademark Licensing Intern (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsVanderiblt was an awesome place to work, my supervisors were incredible and were very flexible with my schedule. As it was an internship there was a learning curve but once I got the hang of it most of it was a no brainer, I would highly recommend working here.

ConsSome of the other people working in the Creative Services Department with me were a little strange and probably not the type you'd want to hang out with outside of the office, but they all mean well and there are plenty of others more outgoing in the office as well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

As a graduate student worker, Vanderbilt has been respectful to me and providing many opportunities.

Financial Aid Front Desk (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe coworkers are friendly, management is understanding, and the pay is above minimum wage. It also is providing work experience that will will improve my chances for obtaining a well paying job after graduation.

ConsLike with any company, it all depends on departments, management, and people. The book store was an unfortunate experience with poor management. The financial aid office has proven to be exceptionally better, but there is no room for advancement as a graduate student.

Vanderbilt is a good place to work that seeks to be on the leading edge of all of their endeavors.

Assistant Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe compensation and benefits are better than most universities.

ConsCurrently they are downsizing the medical center operations.

No job security--executive administration cares only about their futures

Senior Management (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat academic university-I am an alumnus.

ConsEmployees are unaware of the incredible compensation packages of the Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, Assistant Vice Chancellors, Deans and other senior management even with thousands of employee layoffs. No job security even though the executive administration and Human Resources promise security and are very vocal about job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees how you would want to be treated as well as how you would want your own family members treated.

Graduate Research Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs good as the advisor gets..

Conslong hours and grad life. Nothing gained

Worked for Vanderbilt University? Contribute to the Community!