Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos

Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • I worked with great people and had good benefits(in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park(in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough(in 9 reviews)

Good scientific environment with many opportunities for creative work

Research Assistant II (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsTalented scientists, good benefits, effective administration, good health and wellness program for employees.

ConsFewer holidays, Retirement benefits starts after work anniversary, Difficult to advance personal career depending upon position.

Good place to work

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat perks, good health insurance, and great benefits. Focus is on science and the pursuit of knowledge.

ConsAcademic salaries are mostly soft money, so without outside funding you have no job.

Why Vanderbilt is on its way down

RN Critical Care (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe people you work in the trenches with

ConsThere is more to good management than spreadsheets. Your people are more than your bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like people not cost centers. For highly educated leaders they are very short sighted. Take care of your people and they will take care of you, lead without coercion

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a trap.

Lead Technical Specialist (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe name used to mean something good on a resume. Some of the people really do care about their colleagues.

ConsVanderbilt used to be a great place to work. It was a culture of caring for patients and employees. Now it is about the bottom line and only the bottom line. If to an anonymous accountant somewhere you make too much money (after years of lower than median pay for your job), then Senior management wants you gone ASAP. Vanderbilt has been "facing headwinds" for years and has been cutting staff, over working the remaining staff, cutting pay by not giving raises for 5 years, cutting vacation time, reducing benefits, and outsourcing their talent to other companies to try to make up for these oft mentioned "headwinds." So while they have a 5 billion dollar endowment, they choose to make the people caring for you in the hospital balance on their financial backs the short comings of the Leadership by taking away the financial incentive for that care. Quality of care will decline if the people caring for you are worried if they will have a job tomorrow, since they just saw half of their colleagues get cut/outsourced. Middle management is rarely listened to and Senior Leadership is a top down command and control system that brokers no dissidents. The pay for performance rating is a joke. There have been no raises for the workers in 5 years and even when they did give a token raise it was limited by the Senior Leadership. Leadership gives the marching orders of how many people will get raises at any given rating in a department and then your review is lowered to match those numbers, often by a manager that never knows what you do on a day to day basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf anyone in Vanderbilt Leadership cared to take advice (which they don't), I would remind them that they are in the Caring business, which means not only caring for the sick, poor and hurting that come through the doors, but also the workers and support staff that provide that care. If you don't give a damn about the people that give the care, why would they care to work for you? The people that work for you want honest pay for honest work and to feel like the place they work for thinks of the personal impacts on the workers as they make the choices that come with the heathcare profession.

Business Office Status

(Current Employee)

ProsThis was a wonderful place to work prior to current "corporatization."

ConsNot allowed to replace staff. More work - less pay. Redeployed (did we sign up for military service?) at Management whim, so no opportunity for long term growth or development of work area. Employees overloaded and stressed trying to pull the weight of exiting staff members. Upper Management lacks communication skills. Staff are blamed as being negative or not a team player when they have trouble adjusting to unrealistic reassignments and work volumes. Overall, not a great place right now. If our personal lives were as unstable as our work life you would need a crisis intervention. Yet, we are just expected to smile and adapt to the instability. The environment is bordering on being a hostile work environment due to the bullying of staff by Sr. Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink you current decimation of any type of culture for the sake of saving a buck. Reconsider the creation of more over $100K jobs while not replacing hourly staff members. I wish all the people making these decision would read the book "Jesus CEO." The current sociopathic methodology will ultimately destroy your foundation. You cannot support the "Pillars" without a foundation. You need a reality check into how abusive your current practices are.

Should have left a long time ago

Technology Support Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsDecent benefits, Tuition reimbursement. Nice facilities, up to date decor. Good reputation and Vanderbilt looks good on a resume.

ConsVanderbilt does not care about its employees. Now we are getting outsourced. Pay is horrid. You have to pay to park there and we won't be able to use the tuition benefit because I will be replaced by the time my kids go to college.
    Most of the time the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
    Weak middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees!

Okay place for a pharmacist to work considering today's healthcare climate.

Pharmacist (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsChances for advancement, good compensation, learning atmosphere, many different types of pharmacist jobs and opportunity, tuition benefit for employee and children

ConsHospital system is cutting back on employees making for a stressful working environment both from a job security and workload standpoint. Poor management in an area leads to poor morale. Poor communication and high technician turnover in my area. Poor leadership with a "moving target" philosophy on direction. Very large hospital system makes an individual little more than a number, i.e., everyone is quickly replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate openly about the department and decisions with employees instead of treating professionals like kids who can't be trusted. Give authority to (and expect) pharmacists to manage technicians instead of a tech supervisor that sits in an office all day. Treat clinicians and staffers equally and give more opportunity to staff to engage in clinical tasks. Stop playing favorites! It is a huge problem and creates horrible morale among staff. Listen to and value the input of professionals in the department--some of it might just be good.

Collaborative and friendly research departments but recent issues with funding and job cuts

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsCollaborative environment with friendly employees. Cutting edge research

ConsRecent job cuts, funding issues

Advice to Senior ManagementMore tightly monitor financial departments so that the current money crisis doesn't happen again

Employer

ProsI feel my work supports high quality patient care.

ConsSenior leadership does not use evidence in practice. Senior leaders do not seem to have any mentors. Senior leaders rely on successful methods of the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementNursing leadership is fantastic. Other senior leaders should be transformational rather than transactional. Leaders should employ organizational change theory or models and use evidence in practice when making decisions.

Great place to go to grad school

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsExcellent core facilities and laboratory spaces

ConsGrad school is grad school, it's a grind sometimes

Worked for Vanderbilt University Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!