Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos

Nicholas Zeppos

Pros:
  • "I worked with great people and had good benefits"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay, low standards, politics, under skilled staff, non-standard development practices,"
    in 6 reviews
  • "low pay comparison, pay for parking"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place for medical research

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee)

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat research teams and resources available in both discovery and translational science. Excellent postdoctoral association.

ConsNot helpful for filing taxes through a stipend. Minor issue

Disappointing, Disheartening, Discouraging

Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBrand Recognition, Social Health Involvement

ConsEnterprise is silo and position protection oriented. No focus on associates. No career path, Pay scale under market. No security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best plans of an enterprise won't work unless the people do. Consider taking care of your most important asset, the associates. Develop career ladders, provide training and have supervisors who are mentors. Uncover the productive truth of middle management qualifications, performance and supervisory practices (or the lack there of). Stop adhering to the theory of Mushroom Management. Abandon the practice of generic job descriptions and leveraging "other duties as required" to cover enterprise demands without fair compensation for expanded skill sets or recognition for expanded work performed.. Reconsider the rating point system on performance reviews and make reviews applicable to responsibilities and not generic blanket statements. Develop and publish organizational charts for ALL departments to enhance the understanding of the responsibility chain and functional roles, Realize and be determined to change the fact that department politics, protectionism and self interest may be negatively impacting enterprise business decisions and impeding progress and profitability.

Great Place

Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTuition plan for Employees children, Decent benefits, Lots of room to advance.

ConsNot so great pay. Ever changing policies. Lot of bosses.

Not sure about the future

Manager (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits and not much else.

ConsBenefits are changing. Not sure about the future of a lot of jobs.

Research Assistant II; good research exposure for bare minimum pay

Research Assistant II (Former Employee)

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Prosresearch 1 institute and endless opportunities to learn from the best in the field. The atmosphere is usually inviting and people are not afraid to voice political views (this can be con as well since it can be a bit irksome at times).

Consemployee retention is not valued. Only tenured professors and MD are safe from layoffs. There are no employer/supervisor evaluations, only employee evaluations which allows lopsided reviews of workplace efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement employer evaluations. You might be surprised to see that some employees will be truthful and will not sugar coat there experience. You get better work out of an employee who feels valued and needed versus one that feels worthless and unimportant to the project/objective.

Vanderbilt has a terrific culture, with an emphasis on transparency in employee relations and highly collaborative.

Research Assistant III (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

ProsPositive and collaborative work environment

ConsSensitive to national and state level politics

Lots of support

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

ProsThe VUMC research community is very diverse which allows for lots of collaboration. The core facilities are excellent and very helpful

ConsCan't really think of any

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Fantastic Run...

CFA/CST3 (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent surgeons, fellow, residents medical students, staff and resources. High-tech and state of the art equipment for the medical staff.

ConsThere were just WAY TOO many in management. When those who finally achieved the lofty goal of becoming management, they soon forgot from where they came.

Security

Executive Secretary (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

ProsThe best part about working at Vanderbilt is the strong sense of family and being a part of something. The benefits are good (gym membership, educational credits, health insurance, decent vacation).

ConsThere have been some major cuts in sick time recently. The pay is low because the benefits are high.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't cut the benefits. Its the one thing that a non-profit should do, take care of its employees.

Good learning experience; low pay.

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsPromotions seem to come from within.

ConsLayoffs, pay cuts, and insecurity.

Worked for Vanderbilt University Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanderbilt University Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vanderbilt University Medical Center CEO Nicholas Zeppos. All 140 reviews posted anonymously by Vanderbilt University Medical Center employees.