Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated October 3, 2014
3.2

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • Good benefits including health, subsidized daycare (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Place for Research

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

I interned in one of the labs at VUMC, and the people in the lab were amazing! Super friendly and super helpful especially to just a high school student. The research being done is top notch, and it really challenged me.

Cons

I didn't get paid to intern here, so there's that. Also if you're from out of town, that finding a place to live is a bit inconvenient. The housing at Vandy is pretty expensive.

Just doing this for access

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Ability to move up and around

Cons

Huge facility, too many people work here it feels like you're a number

Should do random drug tests

Growth and new experiences.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to move around, but not necessarily UP.

Cons

I havent really experienced many opportunities for advancement and I definitely dont have any opportunities to make more money. As of right now we are terribly understaffed and over worked... But they are not hiring any new people in my area. We are required to be on call at least twice per 6 weeks, and those calls ALWAYS get called in. So mandatory overtime.

Great Benefits which outweigh the negatives

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN

Pros

My manager is amazing. Super flexible, understanding, and actively asks if you're engaged and satisfied with the work that you do. It's a family type atmosphere and my department is genuinely interested in each others lives. The tuition benefits are exceptional. 70% of tuition paid for children. 70% of tuition paid for employees. I've gotten a Master's Degree for almost free.

Cons

The pay is majorly below the market average, like 25% below what you would be making if you worked for a for profit company. However the vacation (almost 6 weeks) is awesome, opportunities to work from home, and encouragement of work life balance make up for it. It is a tough time right now with a lot of restructuring and lack of communication. The new normal is to do more with less resources.

More open communication about the direction of the medical center. Include lower level staff in the financial target reward system.

Cornelius Vanderbilt's Robber Baron Tradition Lives On

Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent World Class Physicians and medical care. Pride in knowing you help make a true difference in peoples lives. Previously long term employment and a great culture. People use to be valued and not treated as disposable.

Cons

Cornelius Vanderbilt's robber baron tradition lives on. "In extending the title of robber baron to these men, we emphasize the cruel and self-centered entrepreneurs who took advantage of the worker to accumulate wealth. The factory was a place where the worker experienced harsh conditions and poor pay."
    The Executive Level uses the sequestration as an excuse to robber baron the common man. When re-designing work flows, they create more $100, 000+ jobs to reward cronies while withholding pay increases and reducing benefits for the common man. They have developed a mentality of "is it legal?" as opposed to is it "moral and ethical".

A corporation is a thing. It worries about what is legal. It does not concern itself with is it moral or ethical. The Executive Level is the "human element" which is suppose to create a check and balance in the system. The health of the system is out of balance. Everything is about "Financial" and the "Human"; be it employee or patient, has somehow been downplayed and dehumanized. Review your Business Office and take a good hard look at the poor treatment of the staff. A cancerous growth exists there where people are no longer valued. Those in power have lost the hearts and minds of the staff. The Executive Level is important, but "unless you want to clean the bathrooms yourself, you should respect the janitor." You have forgotten this truth.

Amazing Oncology Floor, Manager and Coworkers amazing. Hospital doesnt care about staff

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of education opportunities and growth. Able to treat complicated patients and cases from all around the South, Well respected hospital. Great coworkers and management. New floor (critical care tower)

Cons

Horrendous pay... Bottom 10% that nurses make in the entire nation. Haven given a raise in over 3 years, Have taken away holiday gifts, No long accrual sick or vacation pay and cannot cash out when leaving the hospital. Nursing patient rations increasing. Very short staff and making no improvements towards hiring staff

Treat your staff like you appreciate them

10 years experience with the company

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big Name to put on a resume, some of the most innovation healthcare implementation

Cons

Due to recent austerity measures they have ceased to be the premier employer they once were and that justified being the lowest paying hospital in middle TN. Further due to staffing reductions it is creating overload dangerous to patients and practitioners. All of which is leading to a downward trend in the perception of the Vanderbilt brand in Middle TN.

Pretty solid despite the recent uncertainty

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN

Pros

wonderful city and relatively casual atmosphere for such a top research institution. So far its a great place for people starting there career.

Cons

Things may be changing. The administration is tightening the belt quite a bit.Hard to know how that will effect things going forward.

Benefits are good - red tape can be frustrating

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is steady. They typically trust you to do your job and don't overlord. There are learning opportunities if you seek them out. Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

Sometimes it's very difficult to find the right person to answer your questions. There have been times I have contact HR and they just stopped responding to the email thread... If you can get in front of some to answer your questions, that would be best. Could use a better pay grade based on my past experience and pay grades, though.

Comfortable Existence.

Current Employee - Medical Receptionist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Medical Receptionist in Nashville, TN

Pros

Once you are trained, you move fluidly into being part of the machine. If you mind your Ps and Qs, nobody bothers you, you just clock in, do your best, and clock out. Once you are ingrained, if you play well with others, it is not difficult to keep your job. If you are someone who does not want to answer to deadlines or your boss every day, this job is for you. The flexibility with scheduling is better than anywhere I have ever worked before. The healthcare benefits are great, especially if you stay within the Vanderbilt network.

Cons

Long, long hours sitting. A twelve hour shift in one place with only a quick 30 minute break and two quick 10 minute breaks (if you are lucky enough to get them every day) can wear you down after a while. Training your brain to multitask causes some form of adult ADD. No raises for the past two years, supposedly due to the economy and "restructuring of the work flow". Company culture is preached but not exemplified often enough.

Provide upward mobility or incentive to carry on. Some sort of edification or enrichment.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Photos