Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated October 1, 2014
3.1

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • Good benefits including health, subsidized daycare (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Just doing this for access

Current Employee - Research Coordinator  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Ability to move up and around

Cons

Huge facility, too many people work here it feels like you're a number

Should do random drug tests

Pretty solid despite the recent uncertainty

Current Employee - Research Assistant II  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

wonderful city and relatively casual atmosphere for such a top research institution. So far its a great place for people starting there career.

Cons

Things may be changing. The administration is tightening the belt quite a bit.Hard to know how that will effect things going forward.

Benefits are good - red tape can be frustrating

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work is steady. They typically trust you to do your job and don't overlord. There are learning opportunities if you seek them out. Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

Sometimes it's very difficult to find the right person to answer your questions. There have been times I have contact HR and they just stopped responding to the email thread... If you can get in front of some to answer your questions, that would be best. Could use a better pay grade based on my past experience and pay grades, though.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Comfortable Existence.

Current Employee - Medical Receptionist  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Medical Receptionist in Nashville, TN

Pros

Once you are trained, you move fluidly into being part of the machine. If you mind your Ps and Qs, nobody bothers you, you just clock in, do your best, and clock out. Once you are ingrained, if you play well with others, it is not difficult to keep your job. If you are someone who does not want to answer to deadlines or your boss every day, this job is for you. The flexibility with scheduling is better than anywhere I have ever worked before. The healthcare benefits are great, especially if you stay within the Vanderbilt network.

Cons

Long, long hours sitting. A twelve hour shift in one place with only a quick 30 minute break and two quick 10 minute breaks (if you are lucky enough to get them every day) can wear you down after a while. Training your brain to multitask causes some form of adult ADD. No raises for the past two years, supposedly due to the economy and "restructuring of the work flow". Company culture is preached but not exemplified often enough.

Provide upward mobility or incentive to carry on. Some sort of edification or enrichment.

Good place to work!

Former Employee - Director  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Director in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vanderbilt has a good work environment along with a good work/life balance. The organization is trying to be one of the best places to work.

Cons

With the cutbacks of recent years, a lot has changed. Opportunities for advancement are more limited and there are more politics. Training, especially external training, is at a minimum.

Get back to core values! Provide more training and growth opportunities. Get a handle on the politics around promotions and direction of the organization.

Cornelius Vanderbilt's Robber Baron Tradition Lives On

Former Employee - Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent World Class Physicians and medical care. Pride in knowing you help make a true difference in peoples lives. Previously long term employment and a great culture. People use to be valued and not treated as disposable.

Cons

Cornelius Vanderbilt's robber baron tradition lives on. "In extending the title of robber baron to these men, we emphasize the cruel and self-centered entrepreneurs who took advantage of the worker to accumulate wealth. The factory was a place where the worker experienced harsh conditions and poor pay."
    The Executive Level uses the sequestration as an excuse to robber baron the common man. When re-designing work flows, they create more $100, 000+ jobs to reward cronies while withholding pay increases and reducing benefits for the common man. They have developed a mentality of "is it legal?" as opposed to is it "moral and ethical".

A corporation is a thing. It worries about what is legal. It does not concern itself with is it moral or ethical. The Executive Level is the "human element" which is suppose to create a check and balance in the system. The health of the system is out of balance. Everything is about "Financial" and the "Human"; be it employee or patient, has somehow been downplayed and dehumanized. Review your Business Office and take a good hard look at the poor treatment of the staff. A cancerous growth exists there where people are no longer valued. Those in power have lost the hearts and minds of the staff. The Executive Level is important, but "unless you want to clean the bathrooms yourself, you should respect the janitor." You have forgotten this truth.

It really depends on your manager...

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are good (but they used to be a lot better). If you have a good manager, then you are blessed and you will likely want to stay at VUMC for many years. On the whole, doctors, residents, NPs and nurses and support staff have the best working relationships I have ever experienced in my long career.

Cons

The culture has changed drastically in the last 5 years. The recent cutbacks were brutal and this affected culture and morale widely. So many bedside nurses left over the last 12-15 months that VUMC now has a nursing shortage. Some units close beds to admissions because they don't have the necessary staff. So now, staffing incentives are being offered to current staff to pick up additional shifts.

Clearly the cutbacks were too severe and pushed many nurses and clinical staff to leave for other opportunities. Those policy changes to our accrued vacation time were poorly conceived and executed that many nurses chose to vote with their feet. Staff accrued vacation time (at full pay rate...or so we thought) through many years of sacrifice and should have been paid for it in full pay...not 50 cents on the dollar. There are clinical staff who have been at VUMC for many years with hundreds of hours of vacation time banked. Unable to take all their time by the end of the fiscal year, they are forced to sell back their accrued vacation at 50 cents on the dollar or lose it forever. It is one thing for staff not to get raises for years but to claw-back what we have already earned is clearly too much for many staff to bear.

Good for getting your foot in the door

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Nashville, TN

Pros

Benefits are good
    I have a great supervisor
    Great coworkers in my area

Cons

Salary is horrible! If you are looking to advance your career (make more money), this is not the place if you are in research

It was very rewarding

Current Employee - Lab Support  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Lab Support in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It was a very rewarding experience.

Cons

I was employed through the temporary services and my assignment ended.

Great leadership.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful city and campus. Light traffic. Smart research with lots of funding. Many opportunities for social engagement. Good benefits.

Cons

Am constantly annoyed that there is a McDonald's at the hospital

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Photos

Worked for Vanderbilt University Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!