Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated March 2, 2015
3.2

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • Good benefits including health, subsidized daycare (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start a career

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Vibrant community of researchers and state of the art facilities

Cons

Career advancement is limited for those with entry level positions in the lab.

Great company for my position

Current Employee - Sitter in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sitter in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Work when I want to, Easy money

Cons

Sometimes there are no assignments

Stuck between two focuses

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Focused on producing quality work, some teams are sold out on their hospital, ownership

Cons

They change their plans constantly, nothing comes to fruition. They seem to think that quality healthcare and making money are mutually exclusive.

Your recent restructuring decisions will hurt your reputation as an employer for years to come. You operate with opressive red tape and inconsistency in your HR processes. Remove the BS and empower managers to be able to hire and fire as needed. Your pay scales and red tape encourage mediocrity. It is a shame that you are allowing the business of health care to keep you from good to great. You are rapidly losing market share to other area hospitals.

I have worked at Vanderbilt for 3 years. You can't beat the experience and knowledge gained from working at Vandy!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good team work
    Good management in most areas

Cons

'Market adjustment' pay raise every 3-4 years only

This is a great place to work.

Current Employee - RN in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - RN in Nashville, TN

Pros

I am a nurse in an hourly position and I truly feel the management team in place is paramount. They encourage and support efforts to continue my education. The scheduling system is fair, it isn't left up to one person to decide everyone's schedule like my previous employer.
          I am extremely satisfied with my work environment. They do not tolerate disrespect to their nurses from anyone (attendings, residents, other nurses). At my previous employer the doctors had free reign to act inappropriately, and nurses were shown zero respect as professional members of the team. It is a very professional environment.
          I should also mention I received a significant pay increase when I started at Vanderbilt and have received several in the last 3 years. I came from an institution that never provided increases. I was there for 4 years and they would tell their nurses year after year there was no money while they installed HD flat screens in all the rooms. When things got tight at Vanderbilt there was none of this.

Cons

Parking is definitely an issue. While most University hospitals do charge their employees to park, I do agree it is ridiculous. If you work day shift expect to spend 20-30 minutes to get from your car to your unit. Night shift doesnt have this problem.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Nashville, TN

Pros

Supportive environment with good people

Cons

Too little diversity and too much bureaucracy.

Make it more diverse

Great place to work

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work at Vanderbilt, decent benefits, convenient location in Nashville, close to downtown.

Cons

Pay isn't great, parking is a pain, the hospital smells, traffic can be a problem before and after work.

New Benefits and PTO Will Make You Want to Leave

Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay (at least in my area) Could be due to high turnover
    Vanderbilt is well-renowned
    Reimbursement on license
    Ability to Get Overtime

Cons

Parking. The rate is the same, despite the salary (a doctor making over $100k/year pays the same parking rate as someone who makes $25k/year)
    PTO (if you don't use it you lose it and your new PTO bank starts over July 1st) Also you can't really cash it only maybe for only 5% of the pay I believe
    High turnover rate in the pharmacy - We've had 4 people quit in the past 2 months and an additional 8 people in the past year when our staff is about 20 of us
    HR is SLOW about hiring. We can't find people to cover shifts which is causing more people to get fed up and quit!

PTO: If we put in 3 months notice for a vacation to last a week and get denied because you guys can't hire people when we're already 2 people short that's a huge problem. It wouldn't be if we could cash out our time off or get it to rollover. Not to mention I only have 2 more months to use my PTO and can't because no one can cover my shift.

Parking: I'm within 30 minutes of being on night shift yet you guys won't honor it for parking and I'm a female. I'm not walking across the street to park when a woman was kidnapped in the same place 2 months ago. Parking people need to be straightened out.

Great culture, great opportunities

Current Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Continual access to knowledge, research, higher education; support for furthering education within field of nursing; excellent mentoring opportunities; culture of learning; culture that values innovation, evaluation, and quality improvement; respected reputation in academic, biomedical research, medical, and nursing fields; open to change; good benefits; highly-trained and educated leadership; objective and multifaceted evaluation process.

Cons

Cons of working within a huge system that employees tens of thousands of individuals: communication by the administration, broad policies that may not be relevant to specific sites (inpatient policies extended to outpatient settings),overall financial challenges affecting all healthcare; questionable whether salary is competitive; no financial compensation (raise) despite very high performance evaluation score.

Improve staff-wide communication and roll-out of policy changes. Improve pay equity-- provide compensation for high-performing employees.

VUMC's Decline

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Tuition Benefit for Children
    Great place to learn clinical skills due to acuity of patients

Cons

Unskilled Management - nurses/friends are promoted regardless of skills or productivity
    Colleagues do not "elevate" one another - it is a cutthroat environment, not a healthy competitive one
    No raises for years/Unequal pay for same job
    Leadership is dated and has not evolved with the time - 3 Chief Nursing officers have left, nurse managers are leaving in droves and nursing turnover is astronomical. Most units are staffed with travelers.

It is time to develop a succession plan. The new healthcare environment has outpaced your skills. It's time for some fresh ideas. You have some great people, but instead of developing great leaders, you support an environment that undermines people.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Photos