Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated January 28, 2015
3.2

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • Good benefits including health, subsidized daycare (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a great place to work.

Current Employee - RN in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - RN in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am a nurse in an hourly position and I truly feel the management team in place is paramount. They encourage and support efforts to continue my education. The scheduling system is fair, it isn't left up to one person to decide everyone's schedule like my previous employer.
          I am extremely satisfied with my work environment. They do not tolerate disrespect to their nurses from anyone (attendings, residents, other nurses). At my previous employer the doctors had free reign to act inappropriately, and nurses were shown zero respect as professional members of the team. It is a very professional environment.
          I should also mention I received a significant pay increase when I started at Vanderbilt and have received several in the last 3 years. I came from an institution that never provided increases. I was there for 4 years and they would tell their nurses year after year there was no money while they installed HD flat screens in all the rooms. When things got tight at Vanderbilt there was none of this.

Cons

Parking is definitely an issue. While most University hospitals do charge their employees to park, I do agree it is ridiculous. If you work day shift expect to spend 20-30 minutes to get from your car to your unit. Night shift doesnt have this problem.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Nashville, TN

Pros

Supportive environment with good people

Cons

Too little diversity and too much bureaucracy.

Make it more diverse

Great place to work

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work at Vanderbilt, decent benefits, convenient location in Nashville, close to downtown.

Cons

Pay isn't great, parking is a pain, the hospital smells, traffic can be a problem before and after work.

Great culture, great opportunities

Current Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Continual access to knowledge, research, higher education; support for furthering education within field of nursing; excellent mentoring opportunities; culture of learning; culture that values innovation, evaluation, and quality improvement; respected reputation in academic, biomedical research, medical, and nursing fields; open to change; good benefits; highly-trained and educated leadership; objective and multifaceted evaluation process.

Cons

Cons of working within a huge system that employees tens of thousands of individuals: communication by the administration, broad policies that may not be relevant to specific sites (inpatient policies extended to outpatient settings),overall financial challenges affecting all healthcare; questionable whether salary is competitive; no financial compensation (raise) despite very high performance evaluation score.

Improve staff-wide communication and roll-out of policy changes. Improve pay equity-- provide compensation for high-performing employees.

Great Place to work!

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

One of the most professional and postdoctoral scientists-friendly policy.

Cons

Need to create Generate local funding opportunities in research.

Better than many other options in the area, but not competitive salary-wise.

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

There are a wide range of positions available campus-wide, and many medical providers close by. The location is good.

Cons

Parking is expensive and inconvenient, especially in bad weather. If you're running late, you'll be really late! Also, salaries are not comparable to those at other institutions, even considering cost of living(COL). Nashville COL is also going up steadily as more young grads find the area trendy/desirable. Renting or buying anywhere close to Vanderbilt is very expensive, and the commute from reasonable areas is beastly. Davidson County schools are deplorable, so unless you can afford private schools, living in Davidson isn't desirable.

Lower the price of parking and provide shuttles to ALL areas of the University and Med Center. A centralized daycare would be an amazing way to help current employees and attract new talent. Reinstating the discounts on maternity care costs for employees that deliver at Vanderbilt would also be a major +. Re-evaluating salaries for positions to be more in-line with national av. at similar institutions would be great, and reasonable yearly raises. Finally, HR does not seem to promote from within departments as much as show preference to outside candidates and transfers from other departments. That is counterproductive.

Very good

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Good work life balance and benfits

Cons

Lot of business oriented mindset for a university

RN

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

It was a good hospital with a learning opportunities, at least in the beginning. The insurance was good. I was proud to work there.

Cons

The pay was terrible. I got another job in another state for $15 more an hour doing the same thing! Management was so nit picky. They'd tell you to do something, and then you'd get in trouble for doing it! That happened to me on several occasions. There were also mass layoffs. People who worked there for years were let go. Then they didn't have enough staff, so the staff that remained got stuck working really long shifts....

Let experienced RNs who want to switch specialties participate in the RN residency program. I worked in the OR, but really wanted to work psych. I applied several times at the psych hospital, but couldn't get hired. And I had too much experience to do the RN residency for psych nurses. Didn't make any sense!

Great place to work

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Very caring management and coworkers. Great open door policy and also friendly. Salary was great.

Cons

Very long drive from home. The parking for employees was at times very difficult. Employees should not have to pay to park at work.

Working close with patients

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Nash, TN

Pros

Getting the experience to learn new systems

Cons

Learning to be more patient and caring for others

Needs to care more about employees

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Photos