Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated October 24, 2014
3.2

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • Good benefits including health, subsidized daycare (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent.

Former Employee - Vice President in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Vice President in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and work environment.

Cons

Parking is a nightmare for employees.

Excellent working environment, keep it up.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and great work schedule. Employees are devoted to their jobs and have a lot of experience.

Cons

Work can sometimes be dull and repetitive. Some work is tedious but that is the nature of working in a lab.

Solid Place for Research

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

I interned in one of the labs at VUMC, and the people in the lab were amazing! Super friendly and super helpful especially to just a high school student. The research being done is top notch, and it really challenged me.

Cons

I didn't get paid to intern here, so there's that. Also if you're from out of town, that finding a place to live is a bit inconvenient. The housing at Vandy is pretty expensive.

Just doing this for access

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Ability to move up and around

Cons

Huge facility, too many people work here it feels like you're a number

Should do random drug tests

Growth and new experiences.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to move around, but not necessarily UP.

Cons

I havent really experienced many opportunities for advancement and I definitely dont have any opportunities to make more money. As of right now we are terribly understaffed and over worked... But they are not hiring any new people in my area. We are required to be on call at least twice per 6 weeks, and those calls ALWAYS get called in. So mandatory overtime.

Great Benefits which outweigh the negatives

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN

Pros

My manager is amazing. Super flexible, understanding, and actively asks if you're engaged and satisfied with the work that you do. It's a family type atmosphere and my department is genuinely interested in each others lives. The tuition benefits are exceptional. 70% of tuition paid for children. 70% of tuition paid for employees. I've gotten a Master's Degree for almost free.

Cons

The pay is majorly below the market average, like 25% below what you would be making if you worked for a for profit company. However the vacation (almost 6 weeks) is awesome, opportunities to work from home, and encouragement of work life balance make up for it. It is a tough time right now with a lot of restructuring and lack of communication. The new normal is to do more with less resources.

More open communication about the direction of the medical center. Include lower level staff in the financial target reward system.

Appreciate Your Staff

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people...staff and patients
    Benefits...love the healthcare
    Flexibility...was able to alter my schedule to cater to my son a little more

Cons

Overworked and underpaid
    Fewer staffing, limited resources...but more work
    Unfairly compensated

Care more for the incredible staff you have on hand. You will continue to lose great staff members who would love to stay at Vanderbilt. However, people refuse to stay places where they feel they are not appreciated, receive little pay and have less resources.

Things have changed

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on department, some flexibility

Cons

Benefits have changed and many removed
    poor management skills in leadership

Cornelius Vanderbilt's Robber Baron Tradition Lives On

Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent World Class Physicians and medical care. Pride in knowing you help make a true difference in peoples lives. Previously long term employment and a great culture. People use to be valued and not treated as disposable.

Cons

Cornelius Vanderbilt's robber baron tradition lives on. "In extending the title of robber baron to these men, we emphasize the cruel and self-centered entrepreneurs who took advantage of the worker to accumulate wealth. The factory was a place where the worker experienced harsh conditions and poor pay."
    The Executive Level uses the sequestration as an excuse to robber baron the common man. When re-designing work flows, they create more $100, 000+ jobs to reward cronies while withholding pay increases and reducing benefits for the common man. They have developed a mentality of "is it legal?" as opposed to is it "moral and ethical".

A corporation is a thing. It worries about what is legal. It does not concern itself with is it moral or ethical. The Executive Level is the "human element" which is suppose to create a check and balance in the system. The health of the system is out of balance. Everything is about "Financial" and the "Human"; be it employee or patient, has somehow been downplayed and dehumanized. Review your Business Office and take a good hard look at the poor treatment of the staff. A cancerous growth exists there where people are no longer valued. Those in power have lost the hearts and minds of the staff. The Executive Level is important, but "unless you want to clean the bathrooms yourself, you should respect the janitor." You have forgotten this truth.

10 years experience with the company

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big Name to put on a resume, some of the most innovation healthcare implementation

Cons

Due to recent austerity measures they have ceased to be the premier employer they once were and that justified being the lowest paying hospital in middle TN. Further due to staffing reductions it is creating overload dangerous to patients and practitioners. All of which is leading to a downward trend in the perception of the Vanderbilt brand in Middle TN.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Photos