Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated October 24, 2014
3.2

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • Good benefits including health, subsidized daycare (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent.

Former Employee - Vice President in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Vice President in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and work environment.

Cons

Parking is a nightmare for employees.

Excellent working environment, keep it up.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and great work schedule. Employees are devoted to their jobs and have a lot of experience.

Cons

Work can sometimes be dull and repetitive. Some work is tedious but that is the nature of working in a lab.

Solid Place for Research

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

I interned in one of the labs at VUMC, and the people in the lab were amazing! Super friendly and super helpful especially to just a high school student. The research being done is top notch, and it really challenged me.

Cons

I didn't get paid to intern here, so there's that. Also if you're from out of town, that finding a place to live is a bit inconvenient. The housing at Vandy is pretty expensive.

Appreciate Your Staff

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people...staff and patients
    Benefits...love the healthcare
    Flexibility...was able to alter my schedule to cater to my son a little more

Cons

Overworked and underpaid
    Fewer staffing, limited resources...but more work
    Unfairly compensated

Care more for the incredible staff you have on hand. You will continue to lose great staff members who would love to stay at Vanderbilt. However, people refuse to stay places where they feel they are not appreciated, receive little pay and have less resources.

Things have changed

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on department, some flexibility

Cons

Benefits have changed and many removed
    poor management skills in leadership

Just doing this for access

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Ability to move up and around

Cons

Huge facility, too many people work here it feels like you're a number

Should do random drug tests

Growth and new experiences.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to move around, but not necessarily UP.

Cons

I havent really experienced many opportunities for advancement and I definitely dont have any opportunities to make more money. As of right now we are terribly understaffed and over worked... But they are not hiring any new people in my area. We are required to be on call at least twice per 6 weeks, and those calls ALWAYS get called in. So mandatory overtime.

Great Benefits which outweigh the negatives

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN

Pros

My manager is amazing. Super flexible, understanding, and actively asks if you're engaged and satisfied with the work that you do. It's a family type atmosphere and my department is genuinely interested in each others lives. The tuition benefits are exceptional. 70% of tuition paid for children. 70% of tuition paid for employees. I've gotten a Master's Degree for almost free.

Cons

The pay is majorly below the market average, like 25% below what you would be making if you worked for a for profit company. However the vacation (almost 6 weeks) is awesome, opportunities to work from home, and encouragement of work life balance make up for it. It is a tough time right now with a lot of restructuring and lack of communication. The new normal is to do more with less resources.

More open communication about the direction of the medical center. Include lower level staff in the financial target reward system.

Pretty solid despite the recent uncertainty

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN

Pros

wonderful city and relatively casual atmosphere for such a top research institution. So far its a great place for people starting there career.

Cons

Things may be changing. The administration is tightening the belt quite a bit.Hard to know how that will effect things going forward.

Benefits are good - red tape can be frustrating

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is steady. They typically trust you to do your job and don't overlord. There are learning opportunities if you seek them out. Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

Sometimes it's very difficult to find the right person to answer your questions. There have been times I have contact HR and they just stopped responding to the email thread... If you can get in front of some to answer your questions, that would be best. Could use a better pay grade based on my past experience and pay grades, though.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Photos