Vanderbilt University Medical Center

241 reviews filtered by
3.3
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • Good benefits including health, subsidized daycare (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough (in 9 reviews)

1. Very good place to grow skills

Former Employee - Clinical Trials Specialist
    Former Employee - Clinical Trials Specialist

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great benefits, positive atmosphere, lots of resources and intelligent people from whom to learn

Cons

Low pay for work done

Advice to Management

Compensate employees more to compete with other businesses

2. Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Exciting work environment. Intellectually stimulating. Opportunities for further education and advancement in career.

Cons

Recent downsizing due to budget constraints but now rebounding.

3. Excellent employeer with a lot of experience gained.

Current Employee - Health Systems Engineer III in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Health Systems Engineer III in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits and atmosphere are great.

Cons

There are none at the moment.

5. Working at Vanderbilt was great!!

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

The graduate school and post doctoral office is truly catered to tailor their trainees needs. Anything the students request to improve moral was incorporated.

Cons

Human Resources could be better.

Advice to Management

Teach HR how to work with post docs.

6. I love working for Vanderbilt. It's a big place and not all areas are the same, but the Health IT department is awesome!

Current Employee - Health IT in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Health IT in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, growth, training, fun, low stress, making a difference in patient care.

Cons

I can't think of anything significant.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. A great place to work.

Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work in a research lab, so my experience is based on interactions with my small group of lab-mates, who are great. As an institution, VUMC provides excellent employee benefits, and it is an open-minded community of smart people. There are excellent resources for research scientists.

Cons

My major problems with VUMC have not been as an employee, but as a patient. To me, VUMC seems very disorganized in their billing for medical services. Despite paying my bills on time, I have been referred to a collection agency more than once. Representatives in the billing department have admitted this is their mistake. The same thing has happened to some of my colleagues. This may be relevant, because it's possible that this problem is rooted in poor management.
    I do have a few minor problems as an employee: The internet in my building (Medical Center East) is a bit spotty, the VUMC campus can be very confusing, and people are always lost in my building.

Advice to Management

Continue treating employees with respect, and please consider taking less money from grants.

8. Vanderbilt Medical Center undergoing labor changes

Current Employee - Worker
    Current Employee - Worker

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Still plenty of opportunity to do your job and help others do theirs. Still good people there are can work together to get things done and appreciate each other for it.

Cons

Not much information coming out regarding future of Vanderbilt employees that work under contract agreement. Very unsettling that we are being sold to a management company in order to save money.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. What happen to the "Vanderbilt family" we heard so much about.

9. Great research assistant job as undergraduate student

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Great environment and supervisors. Accommodating and flexible of student schedules but I was still given responsibility as a student research assistant that made me feel involved and like i wasn't just doing busy work.

Cons

Didn't have a set up program in place for student research assistants so I just got a hodge podge of work. Interesting, but inconsistent

10. Great place for research.

Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Research is very cooperative. The labs all work as a team. Almost everyone is friendly, and the campus is tobacco free. While you do have to pay to park, the fee can be taken out of your salary - which is a pro to a con.

Cons

Starting salary is supposedly based on experience, but the university tends to start them out really low. Paying to park is also expensive.

11. Not the same company...

Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vandy has flexible hours in most departments. RNs & many areas set their own schedules and I actually had the opportunity to work from home. There are great discounts to community events. It may sound weird but a lot of people respect you when you say "I work at Vanderbilt".

Cons

Not the same company from years ago. A shift around 2007-2009 changed the company culture, maybe it was Gordon Gee's departure. Things changed and management (housewide) made the "bottom line" the only factor. Employee morale is wayyy down and it is sad to see such a great institution with a great name change so drastically. Many benefits were reduced, cut, and annual bonuses are non-existent.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when we complete the annual employee satisfaction forms. WE ARE NOT HAPPY. PAY US A DECENT WAGE!!! Please go back to the Vandy of early 2000s when employees were valued and appreciated.Budget cuts have affected everything but the higher ups are still generously paid. The annual September employee celebration is laughable compared to years past and the annual Nurses' Week is shameful.
    Oh, and hire more minorities in your C-Level positions, that place is white-washed!

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Photos