Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Reset

1. VUMC Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good work life balance.

Cons

Lots of transition, but headed in the right direction.

2. Awesome

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Two hour lunches, plenty of libraries, lots of no-waiting bathrooms.

Cons

Email services always down, had to walk to VA Hospital to smoke.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. Getting worse.

Current Employee - Patient Services Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Patient Services Representative in Nashville, TN

Pros

Nurses and Physicians are excellent to work with.

Cons

Unstable schedule; changed every week. Sometimes would not know the weekly schedule until the Friday before it began. Very high turnover.

5. Work here if you want to be treated like a robot!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a check, understanding and helpful coworkers, meeting great and inspiring patients/clients.

Cons

doing task that are far out of your job description, lack of proper training, no raises, high benefits that won't cover anything, lots of incompetent managers & directors who are rude and arrogant, payment for parking each month that's taken out of your check, unhelpful and careless HR department... the list could go on. I'm not bitter, just stating facts. Vanderbilt can improve on a lot.

Advice to Management

Value others and humble yourself... i've worked here for 3 years & has been in two departments and have friends who have been here for years. Most of the managers and individuals higher up are not friendly.

6. Excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Emergency Department RN
    Current Employee - Emergency Department RN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Evidence based practice, low nurse to patient ratios, physicians you can talk to.

Cons

Pay isn't the best.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Response

May 19, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're glad you are finding opportunities for evidence based practice and feel like partner to our patients and physicians. We think these ... More

7. General Company information

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Positive mission, renowned and progressive medical care, largest employer in the region.

Cons

Shift away from positive reinforcement of employee contributions, reduction in workforce producing increased workload on current employees.

Advice to Management

Mentor more employees who demonstrate a commitment toward their jobs and organizational mission.

Gone down hill

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

[This is a huge institution and lots of variability] Environment is generally laid back. I have lots of flexibility with my schedule. In medical research at Vanderbilt, you will be surrounded by intelligent people.

Cons

One universal problem is that there is a very strong divide between faculty and staff. As a staff member in research, no matter how educated, knowledgeable, valuable, hard-working, skilled, etc, you are, you will always be below the lowest faculty member in many ways. Additionally, at least on the research side, there are many positions that are staff, but in actuality, their job description and actual work more closely resembles those of faculty. Things have deteriorated so much over the last 5-10 years. We never get to go to conferences anymore, and the criteria for promotion has changed drastically (although this is not overtly acknowledged). I have grown more and more unhappy over the years, and I can't wait to find a new job. Vanderbilt has been decreasing benefits more and more over the years. Salaries are low. They laid of thousands of people around 2013. They have a new "Pod" system that organizes departments, and the Pod managers have put more and more unncecessary restrictions on our members, for example, restricting working from home when there had been no problems.

Advice to Management

Treat highly qualified research staff with more respect on par with MDs and other faculty with respect to job title, parking, private office, pay, etc.

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager, Applications Systems Analysis & Programming in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good work life balance Great benefits Great people Amazing mission focused on research, teaching, and patient care Tremendous opportunity to learn

Cons

Lots of shifting direction & 'science projects' that go nowhere. Commute is very hard from most places with good public schools. Good raises only seem to go with promotions or threats to leave, and those can only happen so often. Tries to compete with vendors by reinventing the wheel.

Advice to Management

Please delegate to your employees and streamline your business. Give us some focused direction and help us feel like and operate as a team!

10. Review

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment, flexibility in projects, excellent ASPIRE program postdoc support system

Cons

Low salaries, stunted growth for postdocs

Clinical Recruiter for VUMC

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Nashville, TN

Pros

Educational Assistance. Vanderbilt helps pay for some certifications. High turnover in some departments can lead to advancement opportunities for others. Health benefits are decent but they could be better for spouses. Most Vanderbilt employees are friendly.

Cons

Leadership can be inexperienced. Pay is meager and education is not taken into account. Pay increases are non existent. Performance Management works off of IOU's and "Atta Boy's" since there are no pay increases. Work - Life balance is not what it should be. PTO is being cut subsequent years in a row.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees. Indifference abounds when you say things like, "Why do you need a raise? We can cash out your PTO at 50% this year. On the plus side that is what you could consider your raise." Do not nickle and dime your employees out of benefits that are not near what they could be.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Response

May 19, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions. VUMC aims to offer competitive pay and benefits while considering the best interests of a very large and diverse employee population. VUMC, like ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed