Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated August 25, 2014

3.1

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • I worked with great people and had good benefits (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, convenient location, looks good on your resume to work at Vanderbilt (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Systematically cutting of staff benefits, have to pay to park (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, sometimes not being challenged enough (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay place for a pharmacist to work considering today's healthcare climate.

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Chances for advancement, good compensation, learning atmosphere, many different types of pharmacist jobs and opportunity, tuition benefit for employee and children

Cons

Hospital system is cutting back on employees making for a stressful working environment both from a job security and workload standpoint. Poor management in an area leads to poor morale. Poor communication and high technician turnover in my area. Poor leadership with a "moving target" philosophy on direction. Very large hospital system makes an individual little more than a number, i.e., everyone is quickly replaceable.

Communicate openly about the department and decisions with employees instead of treating professionals like kids who can't be trusted. Give authority to (and expect) pharmacists to manage technicians instead of a tech supervisor that sits in an office all day. Treat clinicians and staffers equally and give more opportunity to staff to engage in clinical tasks. Stop playing favorites! It is a huge problem and creates horrible morale among staff. Listen to and value the input of professionals in the department--some of it might just be good.

Collaborative and friendly research departments but recent issues with funding and job cuts

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collaborative environment with friendly employees. Cutting edge research

Cons

Recent job cuts, funding issues

More tightly monitor financial departments so that the current money crisis doesn't happen again

Employer

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time

Pros

I feel my work supports high quality patient care.

Cons

Senior leadership does not use evidence in practice. Senior leaders do not seem to have any mentors. Senior leaders rely on successful methods of the past.

Nursing leadership is fantastic. Other senior leaders should be transformational rather than transactional. Leaders should employ organizational change theory or models and use evidence in practice when making decisions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to go to grad school

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Nashville, TN

Pros

Excellent core facilities and laboratory spaces

Cons

Grad school is grad school, it's a grind sometimes

Good scientific environment with many opportunities for creative work

Current Employee - Research Assistant II  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented scientists, good benefits, effective administration, good health and wellness program for employees.

Cons

Fewer holidays, Retirement benefits starts after work anniversary, Difficult to advance personal career depending upon position.

Business Office Status

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center for more than 5 years

Pros

This was a wonderful place to work prior to current "corporatization."

Cons

Not allowed to replace staff. More work - less pay. Redeployed (did we sign up for military service?) at Management whim, so no opportunity for long term growth or development of work area. Employees overloaded and stressed trying to pull the weight of exiting staff members. Upper Management lacks communication skills. Staff are blamed as being negative or not a team player when they have trouble adjusting to unrealistic reassignments and work volumes. Overall, not a great place right now. If our personal lives were as unstable as our work life you would need a crisis intervention. Yet, we are just expected to smile and adapt to the instability. The environment is bordering on being a hostile work environment due to the bullying of staff by Sr. Management.

Rethink you current decimation of any type of culture for the sake of saving a buck. Reconsider the creation of more over $100K jobs while not replacing hourly staff members. I wish all the people making these decision would read the book "Jesus CEO." The current sociopathic methodology will ultimately destroy your foundation. You cannot support the "Pillars" without a foundation. You need a reality check into how abusive your current practices are.

Why Vanderbilt is on its way down

Current Employee - RN Critical Care  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - RN Critical Care in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people you work in the trenches with

Cons

There is more to good management than spreadsheets. Your people are more than your bottom line.

Treat employees like people not cost centers. For highly educated leaders they are very short sighted. Take care of your people and they will take care of you, lead without coercion

Nurse

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

Great staff with leading experts in their respective fields.

Cons

The parking can be challenging

They will lie to you

Former Employee - LAN Technician  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - LAN Technician in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to pay to park! Your other choice is to walk about 2 miles to your car or park nearby and have your car booted! So you can work for below market salary!
    But the education benefit is so good...if you don't get 'laid off' before you get to use it!

Cons

Poor leadership; some supervisors actually PROMOTE problem employees to get them out of their area (Linda, I'm looking at you!). They will lie to you and twist words so you will stay with no salary increases for YEARS! (Hang in there; we are a family; hard times will pass! We will take care of you!)
    Then they bring in the axe man and you are gone....but hang in there! There will be jobs for you!

The best part of it all is that they didn't include HR in at least some of the layoffs. Ridiculous!

HR is a resource. Use it. It will help you.

Low pay, Better than thou doctors

Former Employee - Central Appointment Scheduler  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Central Appointment Scheduler in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meet a lot of great people just was not impressed with management. I learned how I did not want to treat my employees.
    Tuition Reimbursement is great, yet not sure how much longer this will be around.

Cons

Expects you to give a 150% but fail to give a raise, praise, or promotion.
    Paying to park was ridiculous. Parking fees should be related to income.

At times when the economy is bad & new employees fail to receive their mere 50 cent raise at a low paying job find ways to at least praise them & make them feel appreciated.

Worked for Vanderbilt University Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!