www.mc.vanderbilt.edu
Employer Engaged

It really depends on your manager...

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good (but they used to be a lot better). If you have a good manager, then you are blessed and you will likely want to stay at VUMC for many years. On the whole, doctors, residents, NPs and nurses and support staff have the best working relationships I have ever experienced in my long career.

Cons

The culture has changed drastically in the last 5 years. The recent cutbacks were brutal and this affected culture and morale widely. So many bedside nurses left over the last 12-15 months that VUMC now has a nursing shortage. Some units close beds to admissions because they don't have the necessary staff. So now, staffing incentives are being offered to current staff to pick up additional shifts.

Clearly the cutbacks were too severe and pushed many nurses and clinical staff to leave for other opportunities. Those policy changes to our accrued vacation time were poorly conceived and executed that many nurses chose to vote with their feet. Staff accrued vacation time (at full pay rate...or so we thought) through many years of sacrifice and should have been paid for it in full pay...not 50 cents on the dollar. There are clinical staff who have been at VUMC for many years with hundreds of hours of vacation time banked. Unable to take all their time by the end of the fiscal year, they are forced to sell back their accrued vacation at 50 cents on the dollar or lose it forever. It is one thing for staff not to get raises for years but to claw-back what we have already earned is clearly too much for many staff to bear.

Good place to work!

Former Employee - Director in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Director in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vanderbilt has a good work environment along with a good work/life balance. The organization is trying to be one of the best places to work.

Cons

With the cutbacks of recent years, a lot has changed. Opportunities for advancement are more limited and there are more politics. Training, especially external training, is at a minimum.

Get back to core values! Provide more training and growth opportunities. Get a handle on the politics around promotions and direction of the organization.

It was very rewarding

Current Contractor - Lab Support in Nashville, TN
    Current Contractor - Lab Support in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It was a very rewarding experience.

Cons

I was employed through the temporary services and my assignment ended.

Great leadership.

over worked under paid

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great learning experience for nurses. great doctors and state of the art equipment

Cons

Employees are over worked and under paid. Especially after the monumental cuts made recently. PTO was put on hold for months. Raises were also put on hold. People are walking around wondering who will be next. It was very tense.

Things have got to get better

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good and pleasant working environment.

Cons

The pay is poor. Worked here for over 4 years and have yet to see a pay increase. There has not even been a cost of living increase.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Vanderbilt University Medical Center as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful city and campus. Light traffic. Smart research with lots of funding. Many opportunities for social engagement. Good benefits.

Cons

Am constantly annoyed that there is a McDonald's at the hospital

Great Learning Environment!

Current Employee - Certified Surgical Technologist II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Surgical Technologist II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I used to work in the ED and left for several years--now working as a surgical tech. Have always found the doctors to be incredibly respectful and collaborative with the rest of the staff, which fosters excellent learning opportunities on a regular basis.

Cons

Management decision making very frenetic. Lays off staff one month, offers bonuses to recruit staff back 6 months later when there's a staffing crisis.

Start focus groups with staff to better clearly see day to day running of the hospital and get ideas from your talent to help meet financial goals.

Very satisfied

Current Employee - Clinical Fellow in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Clinical Fellow in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere makes for great research environment. Great support for young researchers. Good benefits including health, subsidized daycare. Location is very convenient as well. Excellent IT division for clinical medicine

Cons

Salaries aren't on high end considering Nashville isn't a cheap city anymore. Higher out of pocket healthcare costs than other places I've heard of; cost ~$2500 for labor and delivery charges for recent pregnancy at local hospital.

Vanderbilt is a really great place to work.

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Pros

The people are great, everything is typically well organized/ efficient.

Cons

Salaries are usually a bit lower than average (but the amazing health benefits kind of make up for it.)

Continue to show that you value your employees hard work.

What a GREAT work and learning experience

Current Employee - Sonographer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sonographer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone works together to do what's best for the patient. Best team work I've seen at any hospital I've ever worked for the past 10 yrs

Cons

Get use to working short staffed

Find others ways to cut the budget besides making the hops so short staffed

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Photos