Vanderbilt University

Vanderbilt University Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos

Nicholas Zeppos

88 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent place to work

Office Assistant (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsVanderbilt really cares about its students and its employees and encourages continued growth. The administrative staff is incredibly open and doesn't thrive on a hierarchy. Rather, there is a sense that everyone, no matter what level employee, is an integral part of the team.

ConsStaff works throughout the summer, understandably, though students aren't there. It would be advisable, given the stifling Nashville heat, that staff get off early on Fridays in the summer.

Overall great place for graduate students

Graduate Student (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsLots of resources. Collaborative environment. 99% of PIs and students are supportive. Great seminars with visiting scientists from around the world. Vandy also does a good job of supportive a strong work/life balance for all students. Excellent career office for interests inside and outside of science.

ConsYou will need a car to get around Nashville.Parking on campus is very expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the cost of parking for graduate students. Originally was less than $10 dollars a month and then, with little to no warning, parking costs increased to over $30.

Great research environment

Research Instructor (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsSingle institute has most of the cutting-edge facilities, researchers are also very collaborative. Great medical center for patient care and biomedical research.

ConsNot other big institutes in the vicinity. Although Vanderbilt does a great job of inviting eminent researchers for lectures, abundance of more schools will only improve Nashville research environment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not worth the hype

Business Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsEmployee gym access is the only benefit I can think of as a pro.

ConsThe benefits are below what is usually given for higher ed - 401k or 403a-b contribution, health insurance, etc.

The cultural in my department was too top heavy with extreme pressure to be perfect despite having no guidance from management. Furthermore there was a disconnect to build relationships between employees. I felt like there was little time or events to socialize. It was constantly work in front of my screen and little down time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is try to walk a mile in your employees shoes and show some innovative to motivate positively and build cordial relationships.

Good organization

Adjunct Assistant Professor (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGood students, good atmosphere if you can avoid meetings, sense of faculty camaraderie (for some at least). For the most part, a very welcoming and supportive environment.

ConsAs with many departments in many universities, mine was subject to semi-frequent spats amongst those who considered themselves the heads/stars. Uncomfortable and distracting, though the convenience of tenure kept others who weren't so fortunate from saying anything.

Teaching Assistant

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsNice place to work. You learn a lot while helping students

ConsDeadlines to finish grading can be little tough in exams time

Great!

Research Analyst III (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGreat benefits, great university, great city!

ConsDependent upon the department and people you worked with.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the people in the department were very demeaning, but I ignored that because I loved my job.

unstable, hostile, uncohesive environment.

Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

Prosi do not care for the benefits. they aren't what they were even a few hours ago. and, we are about to lose some of our paid time off going with PTO.

ConsI am underpaid in my role. as most are at vanderbilt whether university or med center.

Advice to Senior Managementmy advice to executive leadership is get to know the little people a little better.

Very Satisfied

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGood culture. Nice coworkers. Nice city and weather. Good career development.

ConsFocused on very narrow field. Not so many industry in Nashville.

A great environment

Graduate Student (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsIt's a good environment for a PhD student. Professors are very supportive. Mostly everyone is collaborative. The cores provide great equipment and resources.

ConsAs students, you do not get the same benefits as other employees do. Vision and Dental plans are available, but they are not the best.

Worked for Vanderbilt University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanderbilt University reviews and ratings in Nashville, TN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vanderbilt University CEO Nicholas Zeppos . All 88 reviews posted anonymously by Vanderbilt University employees.