Vanderbilt University Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

3.9

Vanderbilt University Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos
Nicholas Zeppos

Pros
  • It boasts talented and well-rounded students, as well as a beautiful campus and tremendous resources (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, great university, great city (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student drama" which resulted in duplicate efforts among research group members and myself (in 6 reviews)

• Cost of living isn't cheap, but certainly not as bad as, say, NYC (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice community

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work / life balance.

Cons

Not many opportunities to move up.

fair

I worked at Vanderbilt University

Pros

flexible, not much stress, close to home

Cons

boring, small space, salary not competitive

Stable and innovative workplace

I have been working at Vanderbilt University

Pros

Grants enable the University and medical center the ability to keep up with some of the latest technologies. Tons of different IT systems/platforms that increase the experience of the admins and engineers working on them.

Cons

You have to pay to park at work. Permits are in the 300-500 dollars ranges and these are not the special parking. Pay raises are small and far between.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Staff members are not graduate students

Former Employee - "IT"  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - "IT" in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are great with PTO split into vacation and sick time. It is "hit or miss" as if you find the right department and right boss you will be in great shape.

Cons

Don't work for a professor! I provided IT expertise as part of my boss's research group and his utter inability to recognize the difference between staff and graduate students was problematic:

- 8 hours worth of meetings and seminars every week, including one every late Friday
    - Professor assumed full time staff had the same passion and knowledge of his subjects as his graduate students and expected me to take classes (that did not happen, by the way).
    - Too many performance reviews (1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year)
    - No work from home options, even though the software development and nature of the work did not require a 100% on-site presence.
    - "Graduate student drama" which resulted in duplicate efforts among research group members and myself.
    - I had over half a dozen major projects going on at any given time with deadlines that could not be achieved. See the first item again.
    - No one could ever provide sufficient justification for why we get charged high parking permit fees and why we cannot even park close to our offices.

Most staff members will just learn enough about "the business" (e.g. your subjects or research interests) to get their jobs done. If you want more than that, get a graduate assistant or a post-doc or someone that has degrees in your background.

Find your niche

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Seeks and is open to innovative ideas. Motivated and interesting students. With such a large campus lots of resources. Most of the HR Consultants are fabulous.

Cons

As with most large organizations, there can be significant red tape and politics. This can slow down the process of trying to impact change or create something new. The pay isn't great either.

I have no doubt it is a tough job. I would encourage top leadership if you say you are being transparent, than be transparant before the Tennessean releases more information than you have shared. Otherwise just say we will share as much as we are able.

What i think about vanderbilt uni.

Former Employee - Plant Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Plant Operations Supervisor

I worked at Vanderbilt University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a good place to work

Cons

H.R needs to change some their policies

Don't let your best employees go easily

Certain times of the year are very hectic, otherwise, you more or less get to decide your own schedule

I have been working at Vanderbilt University

Pros

Great learning environment with a lot of resources

Cons

Can be hard to find support for different career goals

Research Assistant

I have been working at Vanderbilt University

Pros

The people are great and the campus is beautiful (it is a national arboretum after all)! The food on and off campus is delicious.

Cons

If you commute, parking permits can cost a lot of money and you may have to walk a bit to get to your office.

A good, independent summer internship experience for high school or early college student

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

1. Mentors are helpful to a healthy extent, providing assistance and tips as needed
    2. Relatively stable as a large institution
    3. Quite a bit of mobility between labs if one fails

Cons

1. Some projects are dull and monotonous
    2. Some mentors aren't around most of the time due to conferences, travel, etc
    3. Funding typical of academic institution (read: sparse)
    4. Employee benefits are also sparse

As a graduate student worker, Vanderbilt has been respectful to me and providing many opportunities.

Current Employee - Financial Aid Front Desk  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Front Desk in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University part-time for less than a year

Pros

The coworkers are friendly, management is understanding, and the pay is above minimum wage. It also is providing work experience that will will improve my chances for obtaining a well paying job after graduation.

Cons

Like with any company, it all depends on departments, management, and people. The book store was an unfortunate experience with poor management. The financial aid office has proven to be exceptionally better, but there is no room for advancement as a graduate student.

Worked for Vanderbilt University? Contribute to the Community!