Vanderhouwen & Associates

Updated June 21, 2014

4.0

Kathy VanderHouwen

Great Company to work for

Pros

Very Friendly & Willing to go the extra mile for their employees. Always on the look out to make sure the next project is already lined up when a contract is ending.

Cons

Having been on contract with them for a while now i have not found any cons so far

Consultant's View

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Hands off management, only met with them about once per year in total, regular pay

Cons

I never understood the value they brought to the table besides initially connecting me to a job. Never tackled any of the issues that I had while on the job. When they failed to get a me a raise they were not happy that I had found another job and were quite rude. For a company to take nearly 50% of the pay-rate I have higher expectations. I had the most minimal of benefits, no time off, no sick leave, quite poor overall.

If you want to hold onto a valued consultant you have to provide a value to them.

Ethics are not a priority with this company and poorly managed.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Family and locally owned. Nice office space. Some of the recruiters are professional. Payroll process seems to be relatively efficient.

Cons

Family owners are hands-off. Internally this is a frat house. An environment where employees are afraid to go to management and complain even when it's the right thing to do. Management prefers to turn the other cheek rather than deal with problems head-on. Making money is the first priority to the detriment of consultants and clients.

Restructure the entire managment team. Have a Human Resources Department with a qualified Human Resources Representativ. Employees can work hard and play hard without being unethical.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Staffing Company in the Northwest!!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Portland, OR

Pros

Extremely successful family run company that takes care of it's employees in every way. VHA promotes open communication, encourages and implements new ideas from all employees and has excellent work/life balance. Employees are motivated professionals who are the best in the business!

Cons

There are not any that come to mind. Employees are not micro-managed but are expected to be professionals and know how to work.

VHA is a great place for job seekers

Pros

We just recently moved from So. California and I was worried that finding a job in the Portland area would be a problem. But within a week of working with VHA, I was able to find a job that matched my skills and most importantly in close proximity to where I live. Kudos to Gabe Hoppe who constantly communicated with me regarding work opportunities in the area of finance and assisted me in preparing for an interview with potential employers. I had signed up with other staffing agencies and it was only VHA that was responsive and was genuinely interested in my career opportunities. Thank you VHA!

Cons

There are no cons associated with this firm.

Based from my experience, management already excels in the area of finding a perfect job match for job seekers, so I cannot think of any advice for improvement.

VHA is a dynamic, locally founded staffing firm dedicated to providing the highest level of service to the Pacific NW.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Family atmoshphere, work hard-play hard, able to adapt to change quickly, personal approach to business. Dedicated to revenue growth, compensating staff effectively, and being involved in the community.

Cons

Medical/dental/vision coverage is always tough for a small company to lock in great rates, but improvement could be considered in this area.

Continue to strategize on creating team unity so VHA can continue to be a powerful force in the staffing community. We're on a great path so far!!

Short and sweet

Former Employee - IT Recruiter  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Private and nice work space environment and location

Cons

A need for more qualified fillable requirements with clients you can interact directly with hiring manager

Great Owners

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Eric VanderHouwen is a caring person and is a solid business person. The golden rule policy really is the bottom line at VanderHouwen.

Cons

Growing company with growing pains.

Quality over quantity

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

Pros

The company cares about delivering a quality product. Very competitive and excels at qualifying people and positions.

Cons

Small, privately held company. Limited opportunities for long term growth.

V&A is a great place for contractors.

Current Employee - Senior .NET Developer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior .NET Developer in Portland, OR

Pros

V&A is my goto shop when I am looking for work as a .NET contractor. Everyone there is very competent and a pleasure to work with. I have had some very negative experiences with other head hunters in the Portland area, but V&A has always been very good to me. They recognize that the contractor is their source of revenue and they treat you as such, other head hunters treat you like a warm body to fill a seat.

Cons

The contracts they have to offer are not really "dynamic" or "exciting", but let's face it, contractors are called in to do the dirty work the other employees cannot or are not willing to perform.

I have nothing to offer to management to improve, I think they do an excellent job.

Worked for Vanderhouwen & Associates? Contribute to the Community!