Vanderhouwen & Associates

Vanderhouwen & Associates Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Kathy VanderHouwen

Great Company to work for

ProsVery Friendly & Willing to go the extra mile for their employees. Always on the look out to make sure the next project is already lined up when a contract is ending.

ConsHaving been on contract with them for a while now i have not found any cons so far

Consultant's View

Engineer (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsHands off management, only met with them about once per year in total, regular pay

ConsI never understood the value they brought to the table besides initially connecting me to a job. Never tackled any of the issues that I had while on the job. When they failed to get a me a raise they were not happy that I had found another job and were quite rude. For a company to take nearly 50% of the pay-rate I have higher expectations. I had the most minimal of benefits, no time off, no sick leave, quite poor overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to hold onto a valued consultant you have to provide a value to them.

Ethics are not a priority with this company and poorly managed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFamily and locally owned. Nice office space. Some of the recruiters are professional. Payroll process seems to be relatively efficient.

ConsFamily owners are hands-off. Internally this is a frat house. An environment where employees are afraid to go to management and complain even when it's the right thing to do. Management prefers to turn the other cheek rather than deal with problems head-on. Making money is the first priority to the detriment of consultants and clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the entire managment team. Have a Human Resources Department with a qualified Human Resources Representativ. Employees can work hard and play hard without being unethical.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Staffing Company in the Northwest!!

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsExtremely successful family run company that takes care of it's employees in every way. VHA promotes open communication, encourages and implements new ideas from all employees and has excellent work/life balance. Employees are motivated professionals who are the best in the business!

ConsThere are not any that come to mind. Employees are not micro-managed but are expected to be professionals and know how to work.

VHA is a great place for job seekers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWe just recently moved from So. California and I was worried that finding a job in the Portland area would be a problem. But within a week of working with VHA, I was able to find a job that matched my skills and most importantly in close proximity to where I live. Kudos to Gabe Hoppe who constantly communicated with me regarding work opportunities in the area of finance and assisted me in preparing for an interview with potential employers. I had signed up with other staffing agencies and it was only VHA that was responsive and was genuinely interested in my career opportunities. Thank you VHA!

ConsThere are no cons associated with this firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementBased from my experience, management already excels in the area of finding a perfect job match for job seekers, so I cannot think of any advice for improvement.

VHA is a dynamic, locally founded staffing firm dedicated to providing the highest level of service to the Pacific NW.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFamily atmoshphere, work hard-play hard, able to adapt to change quickly, personal approach to business. Dedicated to revenue growth, compensating staff effectively, and being involved in the community.

ConsMedical/dental/vision coverage is always tough for a small company to lock in great rates, but improvement could be considered in this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to strategize on creating team unity so VHA can continue to be a powerful force in the staffing community. We're on a great path so far!!

Short and sweet

IT Recruiter (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsPrivate and nice work space environment and location

ConsA need for more qualified fillable requirements with clients you can interact directly with hiring manager

Great Owners

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsEric VanderHouwen is a caring person and is a solid business person. The golden rule policy really is the bottom line at VanderHouwen.

ConsGrowing company with growing pains.

Quality over quantity

Recruiter (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe company cares about delivering a quality product. Very competitive and excels at qualifying people and positions.

ConsSmall, privately held company. Limited opportunities for long term growth.

V&A is a great place for contractors.

Senior .NET Developer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsV&A is my goto shop when I am looking for work as a .NET contractor. Everyone there is very competent and a pleasure to work with. I have had some very negative experiences with other head hunters in the Portland area, but V&A has always been very good to me. They recognize that the contractor is their source of revenue and they treat you as such, other head hunters treat you like a warm body to fill a seat.

ConsThe contracts they have to offer are not really "dynamic" or "exciting", but let's face it, contractors are called in to do the dirty work the other employees cannot or are not willing to perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have nothing to offer to management to improve, I think they do an excellent job.

Worked for Vanderhouwen & Associates? Contribute to the Community!