Vanguard Reviews

William McNabb

1. Good place to work

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Good management. Flexible schedule.

Cons

A lot of completion for promotions.

Great place to work, but pay could be better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In my 10 year career across multiple industries and employers, Vanguard was THE best. The management was intelligent and actually cared about you and your career progression. The organization REALLY DOES care about it's customers and doing the right thing. Amazing uncompromising work life balance. I can't tell you how awesome getting THAT MUCH time off is! It led me to be always motivated and productive. Let's put it this way, when I left Vanguard I left all my money there and had all my family members move their money there as well. That's saying something.

Cons

Pay. When I was recruited outside of the industry, I was paid DOUBLE. Not 5%, not 20%, not even 50% more. DOUBLE. I would have loved to stay at Vanguard but the pay is just not competitive for high performers. For a company that doesn't release the compensation packages of the top executives, it's unfortunate that they're not even on the same planet of the rest of the working world in terms of pay.

Another negative, is that in Scottsdale, the vast majority of the work is call center. Sure, they might call it a more fancy title, but in actuality it's a pure call center environment. The "thinker" type jobs are in Valley Forge PA.

Basically every moment of every day that you're at work. You're monitored. They keep track of how quickly you do quite literally anything. How long you take for restroom breaks, the moment you log in until the moment you log out. It's crazy how closely you're monitored. All communications are recorded and can be used against you.

Completely revamp pay, be a little less CIA about monitoring your employees, bring some better positions down from PA.

3. Growth is impossible

Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid bene package. Plenty of free meals during tax season.

Cons

Little growth. They don't like moving people out of divisions and salary is VERY LOW

Good short term job, wouldn't call it a career

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

work life balance, good benefits, good people

Cons

glorified call center with not mush respect

more responsibility for associates, no ownership taken 90% of the time

good place to start in the industry and get some experience

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good support in obtaining necessary licensing for the industry. Good Benefits

Cons

pay is not up to par with the expectations. Hard work is not rewarded.

Great company to invest with, okay company to work for.

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training, fun people to work with, little to no pressure, work life balance, solid benefits.

Cons

Little to no reward for incentive or the person who wants to work harder. Slow, structured career development. You work in a call center. Very little of your job responsibility actually requires financial expertise. Career advancement is based off of networking/politics and call statistics as opposed to providing excellent customer service and investment expertise.

Possibly consider changing the way the job is advertised both online and throughout the recruitment/interview stages. Or discontinue recruitment at universities. I believe this would help with the high levels of turnover.

Poor Management and decision making

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Aasociate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Aasociate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Between a base salary in the low to mid 40's and the annual partnership, you can make a relatively decent living. D level and higher receives a yearly bonus as well.

Cons

Newer managers are right out of college and have no real world or people skills. Vanguard seeks micromanager A type personalities who only care about themselves and upward mobility.

Stop promoting so much from within based strictly on visability and zero talent. It's all very "who you know" and "projects" not substance.

Client Relationship Administrator

Former Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture and values of the company are very positive. The people are great to work with, the benefits package was competitive. It was nice to not have to take work home and position really allowed for work/life balance. It was definitely a great place to enter the industry to begin getting your licenses.

Cons

Getting promoted within the company was sometimes difficult as there are dozens of qualified applicants for every one new position posting. The salary and bonus was good but the reason I left is I am looking for more income potential and career development opportunity.

The company is okay, Didn't like the atmosphere

Former Employee - CRA in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - CRA in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits, Company perks. work/life balance

Cons

-I worked in their participant Service division. and took calls all day. so it wasn't the best experience but the worst part is not having support from your supervisor when their is an elevated situation.
    - Lack of growth opportunity off the phones.
    - No realistic expectations, I felt like as long as I was there taking calls they were okay with it.

Good place to start a financial career and then move on to greener pastures once you have some experience and licenses.

Former Employee - Retail in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Retail in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, generous PTO, typically less than 40hr workweek. Met some nice people who were passionate about serving clients and were fun to be around. Very good training for licensing. Partnership bonus every summer.

Cons

Low pay and 2-3% raise per year for the majority. You often can't use the PTO that they give you because they are drastically understaffed (read: cheap). Lack of ownership for client issues. Many long term employees that do mediocre work at best. The no commission structure is great for clients but a big de-motivator for many employees. If you bring more than a million into the company you ought to get something more than baseball tickets and a manager telling you "good job." Managers too preoccupied with NFS scores and their own bonuses meanwhile the department was being poorly managed.

Listen to employees, increase pay according to the position. Staff appropriately so that employees with tenure can actually use their PTO.

Vanguard Photos