Vanguard Reviews

Reset
3.3
Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Fairly easy to maintain good work/life balance (in 120 reviews)

• Great benefits (PTO & Healthcare) (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • most employees are complacent in this call-center environment (in 53 reviews)

• This can make work life balance impossible since their can be mandatory overtime or the inability to take earned vacation (in 16 reviews)

1. Great for getting your foot into the financial industry right out of college.

Current Employee - Brokerage Investment Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Brokerage Investment Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-live balance, friendly-easy going atmosphere

Cons

Reactive not proactive, loss of focus on employees because too much focus on clients.

Advice to Management

Invest more into crew engagement

Great place to work!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - BDG Investment Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - BDG Investment Sales in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture. Huge push on development! great people and awesome opportunity to get licensed

Cons

Base pay is a bit less than what you can get elswhere for a licensed position but with the bonus it puts you past the mark

Advice to Management

Stay awesome!!!!!!!!!!

3. IT Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Intern in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Looks great on the resume A great place to learn and grow since there isn't a whole lot of pressure put on interns Quite a few fun activities for the interns

Cons

You may not get a role that you wanted to work in. All the interns were at least doing technical work though which is better than some companies.

Brokerage Associate

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package is amazing. Pay is just okay, but total compensation is competitive. More laid-back atmosphere than similar jobs at other B/Ds from what I hear. Supportive management/supervisors in most cases. Relatively efficient management hierarchy. I.e. I have one boss and he has one boss etc... PTO is fairly flexible depending on the situation/time of year. Minimal to no threat of being laid-off given the company's track record. Sound philosophy and very prosperous business model. Client-focused.

Cons

Frequent internal changes to call routing and business process. Sometimes you can end up feeling like a number and that what you do isn't all that important or difficult. Can sometimes be difficult to work with other internal business partners because of the frequent changes and other challenges due to misunderstandings around service agreements. Can be difficult to get a raise based on the metrics-based pay increase system. Often raises are not that substantial when you do qualify for one. They barely keep up with inflation. Lately there's been a lot of external hiring. That and other internal factors have made it difficult for people to advance within the company. I've seen a lot of people leave VG because of the lack of upward mobility. Especially here in Charlotte, there are limited opportunities. Calls are often back-to-back regardless of the time of year making this something of a burn-out job.

Advice to Management

Hire more from within and invest more time, effort, and resources in training and developing people that are already hired and invested in the company rather than hiring outsiders. Do a better job of managing call flow and routing to provide some time between calls to decompress. This isn't supposed to be a typical call center.

6. High net worth assigned representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, great growth opportunities, excellent benefits .

Cons

Lower pay compared to industry average

Great Company

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Puts customers first, great employee benefits

Cons

Very little autonomy, poor salary

Advice to Management

You'll have to either pay more for your employees' salaries or you're going to continue to pay through attrition

If you can handle a call center....

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is laid back and very friendly. No pressure about sales, books of business, etc. Great benefits. Company does a lot to support community.

Cons

Being a call center, it gets very robotic after a while. Pay is less than competitors salary. Not much incentive to stay if you don't mind doing a little more elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as well as you treat your clients.

Don't drink the kool aid (or work in Flagship)

Former Employee - Flagship Assigned Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Flagship Assigned Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the beginning of your employment, much is done to provide the employee with a feeling of being part of a "team".... i.e. fun contests, rally's, even a Vanguard band you can listen to during certain events. Good training program for Flagship Assigned Reps

Cons

Rigid work environment Poor mid-level management Discrimination towards pregnant women (yes I hired an attorney) Your career opportunities include: mid-level management of a call center OR be the subordinate of a mid level manager in a call center.

Advice to Management

People do hire attorneys to represent them when they feel they are being treated unfairly.

Relationship Specialist

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*I worked in Charlotte for 9 months -Series 7 and 63 sponsorship for first 1.5 months, then "Vanguard University" training (or baby sitting) for the next 1.5 months. -Independent, motivated self-starters may leverage the many resources Vanguard provides to enhance their knowledge. -From an outsider's perspective; solid company that only hire smart people -I was able to flip less than 1 year of work experience for a job with an industry giant. The same position is in VG in Malvern, however it takes more than a year at your entry level job and subsequent promotion (ideally 2 years). No question, I would have NOT have been able to land this job so early in my career (graduated 10 months ago) without VG's resources and sponsorship for 7 + 63. -Gain an objective understanding of financial services, given you learn to think independently, thus not blacking out on the VG "kool-aid". This objectiveness gives you comprehensive knowledge of the financial services industry. -Educating retail investors and encouraging them to invest/save for their retirement. Providing good everyday allows you to leave work with a clean conscious. Also you leave work at work, no stress. -Most workers are young, recent graduates in my position. You will meet a lot of friends and good people. -Humbling experience for recent college grads who think they are already "masters of the universe" in finance. until you realize this is the lowest point in finance, thus an overall humbling experience. This realization will either drive you crazy or instill patience, perspective, and motivate you to work hard in developing your self. -If you want a low stress life, middle class income with outstanding benefits, VG is great for you

Cons

-I worked in Charlotte which is only a call center -Lack of transparency from the Vanguard University and On-boarding HR employees who train you the first 3 months. -Majority of management and HR suffer from delusion (or ignorance). They treat the new employees on the phone (thus the only ones who provide real value for VG) as second class citizens given their utter disgust for the job when they were in the same role. This disgust by mgmt is a big factor in their repression of what they really did for 5+ years before even receiving any hint that they could be hired in a mgmt role. This repression leads to their delusion pertaining to the value they add to VG, as well as the way they treat their employees under them. Note: not all mgmt is delusional, and some are very empathetic and grounded. But as a whole, mgmt does not see the big picture of how insignificant retail services in charlotte is to VG. The large disconnect between the delusional mgmt and actual employees is the fundamental issue with VG's epidemic disgruntled to happy workers and their large turnover rate for recent college grads in their first 1-3 years. -Career advancement is not merit based in Charlotte. Nor is it desired if you're a hungry recent graduate looking to advance in finance. Essentially, management baby sits high functioning college grads that are underutilized. -They do not encourage independent thinking in regards to the financial world, and only allow you to provide cookie cutter advice, i.e. stating VG's "We Believes" when providing guidance to clients. -you're in a call center -main objective is to "get off the phones". The further you are from the phones, the farther you are from finance. If you are career oriented and want to advance in finance, VG is not the place for you long-term -very corporate -Get rid of a lot of metrics so mgmt actually has to manage us. Our metrics indicate if we are working, in the bathroom, or in the building (basically our every move). Mgmt does not need to be present to monitor if we are doing our job. Given these metrics are in place, mgmt really does not need to do much, so most of their meetings with eachother are utterly pointless (or i assume they are given how easy it is to meet the stated metrics).

Advice to Management

-PA mgmt needs to implement stricter policies on charlotte HR and mgmt during hiring process. The main principle should be an emphasis on transparency, i.e. you will be in a call center, this is not place to actually implement capital market knowledge and independent thinking, Flagship is still retail clients and is a call center as well, our fixed income desk is still retail, etc. -This lack of transparency and exaggeration is the main factor in the epic turnover numbers and disgruntled to content workers. -PA mgmt needs to gather the opinion of the employees who deal with our clients everyday. Listen to the front line, recent graduates who, for the most part, are very intelligent and will be procured by another institution that will utilize their talents. The longer you're in VG charlotte, the lower your signaling device is, thus the more likely you will be a part of upper mgmt. This vicious cycle will only continue, which VG is content with given how little we cost. And that is Okay for us, considering we use VG to increase our pay (I will by ~3x) for our next employer. However, they would derive a ton of value if they ask for our opinions on issues plaguing charlotte -At cost is a great buzzword, until it is reflected on how us college grads are treated during work hours. Allow employees to eat more than 2 pieces of pizza at lunch during tax seasons, considering we are taking 80+ calls a day. Do not add insult to injury by monitoring our food proportions -Get rid of a lot of the metrics that give incentive to provide bad service. Study successful call centers (zappos) given the important services we provide for people that have their life savings at VG.

They change direction frequently and rarely complete what they begin.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a good place to get an entrance into the professional world. They take diversity seriously and take great care to train new hires to handle their new positions.

Cons

Pay is 15% less than similar jobs for other investment firms. Not much connection between the goals set by senior management and the actual jobs being done at the ground level.

Advice to Management

Managers should pick a direction and sick with it. Then he willing to own it when that direction doesn't pay off like they expected. They should keep their goals based on concrete, measurable information instead of changing gears to hide poor performance.

RSS Feed </> Embed