Vanguard Healthcare Services

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.4

William D. Orand

Review from someone who has been here a long time...

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vanguard is great at presenting opportunities to shine. You are never locked into a box where you only do these five tasks and cannot stretch your legs or try something new. I believe everyone has real opportunity here and I have seen it first hand, holding several positions myself. If you like to work hard, this is the right place for you.

Cons

I would have to say that my biggest peeve is that the 401k match is lacking. With that being said, i've accumulated 10's of thousands using it.

I believe Vanguard now has the right team in place to get things on track, and can continue to flourish and grow.

Chaos at best

Former Employee - Anonymous in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started looking for a new position after a short time and thankfully moved to a competitor. I did meet several wonderful co-workers who worked hard to grow the business and increase census, but most everyone was trying to leave.

Cons

Hostile work environment and unprofessional behavior although several bad eggs have been recently weeded out. They had a horrible HR recruitment manager who abused power and gossiped about employees. Many employees were afraid to go to the other HR Manager (now Director) for help. She clearly did not understand the positions well enough to recruit for them and critical positions sat open for way too long.

Hire someone to run Finance with a SNF background. Money is not being collected, billing is a nightmare. Get a solid HR dept in place now. You made improvements by getting rid of the unqualified Business Development Director and HR Chief, now select carefully going forward.

Hard Work

Current Employee - CNA in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - CNA in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is the love for your title CNA

Cons

Challenges for working here is always being short of staff people quit everyday and call-in

Be equal with all staff

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time

Pros

Excellent staff that are great to work with. Decent pay, flexible hours, great work-life balance.

Cons

The company has quit growing, and morale is down.

Great place to work

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services

Pros

Great co workers and environment

Cons

no cons that I know of

sinking ship

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay is decent, but not enough to keep me here as soon as I find something else.

Cons

extremely stressful environment, the misery trickles down from the top. the company is having trouble staying afloat financially and everyone is always on edge and talking about each other behind backs. turn over is very high. too many way overpaid chiefs and consultants in corporate office and not enough Indians in the buildings.

hire another outside consultant to help figure out which positions should be eliminated at corporate, the company is not big enough to support so many senior management positions. let the buildings do their own admissions because centralized admissions has not worked. finally, be honest with employees. everyone knows we are in trouble.

Not a good experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was offered a good salary for my role.

Cons

I was placed in two facilities with high turnover and horrible management. I spent 2 years of hell working in these facilities. The corporate office does not care about your dedication at the site level. You give your all, blood, sweat, and tears, and that is still not enough. You are often blamed for responsibilities that you were not trained on. The Corporate office does not take ownership of what is going in the facilities to make it better. They simply fire the employees to make themselves look good and continue to perpetuate the problem by hiring someone new and allowing them to go through the same cycle.

Really start to care about your employees and maybe you will progress as a company.

Horrible! Not a good company to work for at all!!!

Former Employee - Nursing Supervisor and Administrator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Nursing Supervisor and Administrator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NONE..No one is accountable and you as an employee are blamed for the Company's incompetence in LTC or Nursing /PT Rehabilitation.
    High turn over rate because of the lack of quality care or resources. Nurse and others in the facility are leaving for better managed LTC and Nursing Home companies as soon as they can!

Cons

The Corporate management is poor at best. The Higher -ups or Directors will not be accountable for mistakes and make unkept promises for improvement. Nursing is suffering due to lack of encouraging or qualified assistance and the Marketing for facility's is non-existent and the Corporate Director people seem to be unqualified in LTC industry as well as, ill equipped to their role and rude. They tell you what they think you want to hear then blame you for their inadequacies. You will be blamed for the lack of resources to your patient care also, because they do not provide adequate management in problem solving. They do not offer any purposeful techniques or "role modeling" just operate on threats and De-motivating.

Hire new Corporate Director's and Management that is able to promote your company positively and care about the image that is made. Stop hiring incompetent so called Directors that use scare tactics or blaming but, instead look to hire Corporate people that encourage and inspire you with real experience and are qualified in LTC for Rehabilitation. Not people who will just say anything to make themselves look better for the boss.

Identity Crisis

Former Employee - Management in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Management in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Willing to try new approaches

Cons

Management at the top turns over every few months, resulting in chaos and failure at the facility level. The mission statement is fabulous, but in reality it confabulates an image of being at the cutting edge when they actually have a very backward, institutional approach to care. Residents eat inferior food and Medicare is milked to the max for profit. The facilities stay in trouble because of the identity crisis in management. Unfortunately many wonderful people have passed through the management gauntlet to move on to more reputable companies.

Decide what kind of company you want to be. Follow you mission/core values statement. Give the residents respect and continuity by putting more quality in their food and activities and lose the" cash cow" attitude that actually creates image problems and bad reputation.. The owner should get more involved. He wouldn't want his family member living in one of his facilities. Health care will always be in change, but your identity should be unwaivering. Build upon the roots/values that made you a good company 6-8 years ago.

Review of stated mission and values

Pros

Each facility carries it's own set of great employees and line staff.

Cons

Where to begin- with an unyielding and uncompromising high turnover rate, it remains a company even many recruiters refuse to refer people to. Changes in leadership affect more than the people they terminate for no reason, but also the Residents and their community perception.

The owner I have heard great things of. I wish he took a more active look at the lack of ethics within the corporate leadership team. Maybe then state would stop attacking their homes.