Vanguard Investments Australia

Vanguard Investments Australia Managing Director John James

John James

Vanguard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsVanguard offers great benefits. These include 401k, profit-sharing plan, medical benefits & generous time off. They also offer decent training for people who have no industry experience.

ConsI compare Vanguard to working for the government. Given the huge number of workforce, advancement is slow and beareucratic. The pay is mediocre to start, rises to mediocre mid-career, and tops out mediocrely.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should seek to allow individuals to advance more quickly based on personal performance and not place long time-in-job requirements across the board.

The Cult Strikes Back

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsGood benefits, otherwise this is not a place to make a career unless you are tip-top management. The best people go elsewhere

Conslousy compensation, a..-kissing helps promotions, no room for creativity, this is not a company for those who want to advance based on skill

Advice to Senior ManagementTake away the Kool-Aid and get out of your offices to talk to the people on the front lines

Not for Everyone, but Great for Me

ProsFair treatment of employees, reasonable policies, strong commitment to ethics, commitment to development and training, keeping costs low helps save jobs during times of economic disturbance, commitment to diversity, decent benefits, very friendly people (almost too nice!), free graduate degrees, team-oriented environment, complaints are taken seriously, strong customer focus, doing the right thing is always rewarded, I am always proud to say I work at Vanguard

ConsThe pay isn't spectacular. If money is your primary motivator, it might not be the place for you. Vanguard is a "pay for performance" company, so there are good raises and bonuses to be had, but you'll have to work your tail off for them. If you're OK with a decent salary, challenging work, opportunities for unlimited lateral transfers, a free MBA/CFP/CFA, and a comfortable, friendly work environment, and you're willing to trade that for the fast-track to promotions and six figures, it's a great place.
    The "nice" culture does let lower performers slide for a while, and that gets annoying. There is a lot of bureaucracy and levels of approval for seemingly trivial things. Dress code is outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, management is doing a great job. Trust your employees and managers more. We know what we're doing, and we work here because we're ethical. If we were greedy crooks, we'd work somewhere else that paid more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vanguard is a fair and highly ethical company to work for

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsVanguard has a unique culture of loyalty to clients and employees. It is a very conservative company and well run. Vanguard is known for low expenses to help their clients keep more of their investment returns. I can attest to that philosophy - We truly watch every penny. In fact, you will never see an employee of our firm riding first class on an airplane. It is always coach for us. By being conservative, I don't think we ever laid off any of our employees. Despite the turmoil on Wall Street, we were not really impacted except for some belt-tightening.

ConsVanguard offers stable employment, but you will definately not get rich working there. No huge bonuses and our salaries are somewhat below industry average. While the benefits are still reasonable, they are not as good as they used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the loyalty of your clients and employees.

Vanguard

ProsOpportunity to move around company. Decent benefits. Onsite conveniences. Company has never laid off. Keeps investors in mind all the time.

ConsCompensation program changed this year so that next year we'll potentially earn less. Long time employees not recognized the same for years of service. College new hires arriving at a very high salary compared to long times. Boys club.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssess employees on all skills, not just technical. Rudeness abounds in employee to employee contact - yet these crew are recognized as more effective although they lack half the skills as others. The ability of higher ups to communicate and treat crew fairly is a huge opportunity area. Your employees are not leaving to pursue school. They're leaving for other jobs.

A satisfactory place to work

ProsGreat work-life balance, employees treated with respect, outstanding benefit packages available to employees. Overall, a great place to work if you want to live a decent life and have a family.

ConsThe money that could be made at a financial firm in NY is just not the same. This is a company for people that are satisfied with a slightly above-average lifestyle, nothing more than that.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, keep doing what they are doing as managers. Management here cares very much about the people that they have in their departments, and are always willing to help accommodate an employee's needs.

Good start - advancement muddled by incompetent management.

ProsVanguard is secure, easy, stress free, and pays fairly.

ConsOnce you hit a ceiling you can only advance into management which is a maze of beauracracy. Filled with favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes. Figure out what people want, and your not fooling anyone when you say "this is what you said you wanted", when trying to position a new idea.

Not a great ship to take a ride on.

Supervisor (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsThe people are great. The benefits are excellent. The working conditions are very good. You will make many friends here.

ConsSenior managment is deluded and turns on a dime. The direction of management changes frequently. It is unfortunate, but this is the type of place where you are evaluated once, and if liked, you move ahead. If not - you are cast aside. Beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Jack Brennan. He has no soul.

Good Place to Gain Experience

Paraplanner With CFP (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGood Place to Work. You won't get rich there, but great 9-5.Excellent benefits!! Very fair organization. Client tend to really like Vanguard.

ConsOnly 3 offices nationwide.Charlotte is the smallest office. Not much advancement if you're not willing to go to PA or AZ offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more programs to increase one's earning potential.Everyone is on salary. They need to develop a solid,lucrative bonus plan for employees.

good company to work for

Investment Representative (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThis is a great place to work if you are just starting out and want to work your way up.
    If you have the initiative and are willing to relocate, you can eventually do well though the salaries are low.

ConsLow pay.
    somewhat redundant work
    no opportunity for performance based bonus or commissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more financial incentives to do well and to stay with the company.

Worked for Vanguard Investments Australia? Contribute to the Community!