Vanguard Investments Australia

3.3

Vanguard Investments Australia Managing Director John James
John James
1 Rating

A great organization, thanks for thinking of the client

Current Employee - Sales in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Vanguard Investments Australia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great purpose and they want to do the right thing. Working for a global company has lots of benefits. Very long term in thinking.

Cons

Only 300 crew so promotions can take longer than a big bank but far less politics. Lots of change as they go global, so lots of early. Calls.

Don't let poor performers get away with not performing

What's all the fuss?

I have been working at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Low stress, career development, lots and lots of opportunity to learn and increase your investment knowledge. Nice people. Fun people.

Cons

Career development is in the employee hands. You must be a self-starter at Vanguard to advance. The pay is low when you're on the phones; but improves when you advance off the phones and into higher level investment positions.

Get to know your crew.

Vanguard

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Vanguard offers great benefits. These include 401k, profit-sharing plan, medical benefits & generous time off. They also offer decent training for people who have no industry experience.

Cons

I compare Vanguard to working for the government. Given the huge number of workforce, advancement is slow and beareucratic. The pay is mediocre to start, rises to mediocre mid-career, and tops out mediocrely.

They should seek to allow individuals to advance more quickly based on personal performance and not place long time-in-job requirements across the board.

OK place to work

I worked at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Great Benefits, average salary and job stability

Cons

No advancement opportunities unless you work at corporate

Offer more advancement opportuities

Not for Everyone, but Great for Me

I have been working at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Fair treatment of employees, reasonable policies, strong commitment to ethics, commitment to development and training, keeping costs low helps save jobs during times of economic disturbance, commitment to diversity, decent benefits, very friendly people (almost too nice!), free graduate degrees, team-oriented environment, complaints are taken seriously, strong customer focus, doing the right thing is always rewarded, I am always proud to say I work at Vanguard

Cons

The pay isn't spectacular. If money is your primary motivator, it might not be the place for you. Vanguard is a "pay for performance" company, so there are good raises and bonuses to be had, but you'll have to work your tail off for them. If you're OK with a decent salary, challenging work, opportunities for unlimited lateral transfers, a free MBA/CFP/CFA, and a comfortable, friendly work environment, and you're willing to trade that for the fast-track to promotions and six figures, it's a great place.
    The "nice" culture does let lower performers slide for a while, and that gets annoying. There is a lot of bureaucracy and levels of approval for seemingly trivial things. Dress code is outdated.

Overall, management is doing a great job. Trust your employees and managers more. We know what we're doing, and we work here because we're ethical. If we were greedy crooks, we'd work somewhere else that paid more.

Vanguard is a fair and highly ethical company to work for

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Vanguard has a unique culture of loyalty to clients and employees. It is a very conservative company and well run. Vanguard is known for low expenses to help their clients keep more of their investment returns. I can attest to that philosophy - We truly watch every penny. In fact, you will never see an employee of our firm riding first class on an airplane. It is always coach for us. By being conservative, I don't think we ever laid off any of our employees. Despite the turmoil on Wall Street, we were not really impacted except for some belt-tightening.

Cons

Vanguard offers stable employment, but you will definately not get rich working there. No huge bonuses and our salaries are somewhat below industry average. While the benefits are still reasonable, they are not as good as they used to be.

Stay true to the loyalty of your clients and employees.

Vanguard

I have been working at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Opportunity to move around company. Decent benefits. Onsite conveniences. Company has never laid off. Keeps investors in mind all the time.

Cons

Compensation program changed this year so that next year we'll potentially earn less. Long time employees not recognized the same for years of service. College new hires arriving at a very high salary compared to long times. Boys club.

Assess employees on all skills, not just technical. Rudeness abounds in employee to employee contact - yet these crew are recognized as more effective although they lack half the skills as others. The ability of higher ups to communicate and treat crew fairly is a huge opportunity area. Your employees are not leaving to pursue school. They're leaving for other jobs.

A satisfactory place to work

I have been working at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Great work-life balance, employees treated with respect, outstanding benefit packages available to employees. Overall, a great place to work if you want to live a decent life and have a family.

Cons

The money that could be made at a financial firm in NY is just not the same. This is a company for people that are satisfied with a slightly above-average lifestyle, nothing more than that.

Overall, keep doing what they are doing as managers. Management here cares very much about the people that they have in their departments, and are always willing to help accommodate an employee's needs.

Good Place to Gain Experience

Current Employee - Paraplanner With CFP in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Paraplanner With CFP in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Good Place to Work. You won't get rich there, but great 9-5.Excellent benefits!! Very fair organization. Client tend to really like Vanguard.

Cons

Only 3 offices nationwide.Charlotte is the smallest office. Not much advancement if you're not willing to go to PA or AZ offices.

Develop more programs to increase one's earning potential.Everyone is on salary. They need to develop a solid,lucrative bonus plan for employees.

A strong employer

Former Employee - Supervisor in Valley Forge, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Valley Forge, PA

I worked at Vanguard Investments Australia

Pros

Great benefits and profit sharing. Vanguard is a fair employer when reviewing your performance and it helps that they care about career advancement. Vanguard is very reluctant to do any layoffs and they try hard to find areas where struggling employees will have increased chances for success.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of what work life balance truly means. You can certainly work your 40 hours per week but anything less than 55-60 is unrealistic to achieve an 'exceeds expectations' review. A flip side of their commitment to finding employees a better job is that a few people who really do need to be let go due to poor performance can sometimes stick around too long.

Provide more project opportunities to young employees.