Vanguard

Vanguard Reviews in Malvern, PA

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb

William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path(in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions(in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones(in 13 reviews)

225 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's all about politics.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsYou have a job. I had it for 5 years. Experience and knowledge are of a great value.

ConsNot a career company. Promotion is based on politics. It's who you know rather than what you know and how well you do it.

Processing and phone associates are pretty much Vanguard's version of a sweat shop with a very limited chance for advancement. You are timed to a second on what you do. Management is often unreasonable, but I think it's coming from the top.

Work and life balance on the phones and in processing doesn't exist. Employes are overworked and underpaid compared to other companies in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis was once a great company to work for. Benefits were great, life work balance was good. It's very different now.

Great Company to work for. Do the right thing culture.

Line Manager (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsVery loyal to the employees. Excellent benefits. Do the right thing culture. Low risk tolerance. Clients come first.

ConsFlat organizational structure makes it extremely difficult to move up if you are not willing to travel the General Manager path. Not known for paying very well at the base level. However, overall total compensation is not too bad. You sacrifice pay for stability.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou over value the GM and under value the specialist. As a specialist manager in my field, I can leave right now and make way more money at a Director or VP level. (I know because I've turned down offers)

Long-term career opportunities abound!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsWork is challenging and varied. Management in my area is very flexible with work/life balance and remote working opportunities. I feel like my time, opinions, and output are valued.

ConsThe corporate culture is very strong and may not be everyone's cup of tea. Decision-making based on employee feedback could be more transparent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsVanguard has a strong emphasis on doing what's right for client and focuses on the genuine improvement and growth of their employees. Vanguard is ethical when it comes to their clients, especially when compared to other financial institutions.

ConsIt has Lower salary than competing firms but makes up for that with great benefits. Vanguard needs to improve its technology if it wants to remain competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advice then to focus the call centers around quality of conversation rather than length of calls.

Vanguard - mutual fund company

Procedure Writer (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsAt Vanguard, there is a great spirit of doing whatever it takes--both for internal and external customers.
    Every Friday is casual dress day. And usually in the summer everyday is casual dress.
    The company provides frequent, convenient van service for transport from a nearby train station to many locations across its sprawling campus.

ConsThere are a lot of silos. It can be difficult to meet people from other work groups unless your job specifically requires it. Casual meeting is not made easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing fairly well. I speak as someone who worked there and as an investor.

Client Service Administrator

CSA (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsVacation, nice facilities and good non management people.

ConsUpper management does not embrace diversity but has a dog and pony show diversity program. Everyone is expected to drink the cool-aid. Managers play favorites. Skip level meetings will be used against you. Company is dishonest about it's no layoff reputation. They will change your job and make you reinterview or give you 6 weeks to find a new position. Take note it takes at least 6 weeks to get a job. Mangers are put in charge of business units and have no clue what the employes daily activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your Crew Members they are smarter than you think. Embrace longtime employees instead of running them out of the company.

Good place to start a career--but get out before age 40

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsIt's easy to feel good about working for Vanguard, because you always feel like you're doing the right thing for the client. It's a good place to start a career. They have a good training program and you can fairly easily move up or across, and try different things.

ConsVanguard is very "clubbish," and has a very strange passive-aggressive culture. They have a pattern of pushing out people who reach a certain age and at a certain level by undermining them at every turn. Perhaps it's their constant focus on the bottom line--once you reach a certain pay level, unless you're solidly in the very small club, you're going to be targeted. This is particularly true with women.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people like you treat your clients.

Great for clients, not so much for employees

Software Developer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

Encourages brown nosers
    Pathetic pay

Mgmt take note

Corporate Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsBenefits and promotional opportunities exist for those with little talent.

ConsBusiness exists in silos. Managers appear to sabotage each other's work. Little recourse for employees. HR is useless.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that when someone gets promoted they can do the job of the individuals they are going to be supervising and they understand the business they will be managing. Staff, sometimes needs guidance from their boss to learn and become a better employee. Eye candy is not needed to do a good job.

Culture will suck out any ambition you have.

Analyst (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsJob security, work life balance, and easiness of work.

ConsNo development of skills, pay is below average, most people you work with are not smart.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more, teach more skills.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!