Vanguard Reviews in Malvern, PA

Updated September 6, 2014
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

233 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ethical, Friendly, Takes Care of Employees

Former Employee - College to Corporate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are incredible, everyone is willing to help you learn here. I came in as an intern and found no shortage of people willing to help me find ways to help the team, contribute, and ultimately be successful. If you put in the effort and enjoy a place where it's easy to network and try out positions you might not have the training for this is a great place to work. My boss consistently went to bat for me when needed and was always interested in finding ways to help me move up, I was even lucky enough to set up meetings with people 2 and 3 levels above my boss and they were no different. CEO Bill McNabb is even in the cafeteria enough days, showing how down-to-earth the C-suite staff are. Their training and education programs are top-notch and easy to access. Work/life balance is a huge priority and I found most weeks I wouldn't even receive any emails between Friday at 5pm and Monday morning!

Cons

Pay is better at other places, but if the friendly, networking-based culture is something you like, there's not many better places to work.

Good place to work, hard to get ahead

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome job security. Even when the market crashed in 2008 they did everything they could to keep full-time crew (at the expense of contractors).

The June Partnership payment (think profit sharing) is usually pretty good. There's an end of year bonus too, but it's usually less.

Time off starts around 3.5 weeks/year and increases with tenure. By the fifth calendar year, you're up to almost five weeks.

The 10% 401(k) benefit plus 4% match is awesome.

A lot of training is offered, but I usually find the classes aren't as good as I would hope. I could learn a lot more from a senior developer who knows how we do things instead of a vendor who teaches the topic generically.

I rarely work more than 40 hours a week.

Like a lot of places, your experience will depend on the department, manager, and team you have. If you're lucky, you get a good fit and do well. Coworkers are generally nice.

Cons

The salary is on the low end of the market. (I was told by a recruiter they knew of at least one other place that paid less.)

The raises are awful, usually less than 2%. They created this video for us explaining how the pay evaluations are done. They tried to make the viewers feel almost guilty for wanting a raise, because of course they means company costs go up. I find my rent goes up just about as fast as my salary, so I don't feel like I'm gaining any ground.

I find recognition of good work to be lacking. I've had some good years and other years I didn't think were as good. But they were all rated the same in the final evaluation. On the team I'm on now, I find that I have to make sure my manager knows when I do something because nobody else is going to tell him.

It is VERY hard to get a promotion. Vanguard wants its employees to stay long-term. The downside of this is that there are lots of people who have been there 10-15 years or more. So even getting the first promotion from beginning software developer to mid-level often takes 5 years or so. There are only a few pay grades, so you could work there 30 years and only get promoted once or twice.

They say you can switch positions every 18 months. However, for the same reasons, it can be hard to do even a lateral move. You post for a position and find out so did a lot of other people. This is a real downer if you land onto a team and/or manager that you discover you don't enjoy. It is hard to get away, and even harder if your performance suffers and you get a sub-par rating.

They took away our cubicles and replaced them with an open-air environment, which I would guess a grand majority of the developers did not want. So it's best to learn how to "tune out" all the crap going on around you. Many resort to iPods.

There is a major emphasis on giving to charity at Vanguard. There are 2-3 drives each year. I get why the company wants to be seen as "giving back to the community." However, it does have a downside in that at least some of the employees wonder if they are being judged on whether they give the "suggested" amount. I personally find the drives tedious. If I wanted to work at a charity, I'd go work at a charity.

I personally wish there were more pay grades. Getting promotions every few years would really help workers feel that good work was recognized.

Comfortable, but stifling.

Current Employee - Rich Media Designer  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Rich Media Designer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent job security
    Some folks are very talented
    Nice perks and bonuses
    Genuine love for the clients

Cons

Extremely slow moving
    Massive amounts of red tape
    Conservative to a fault
    Terrible IT support for designers
    Poorly-staffed IS department limits the available tools
    Management can be horrendous
    Their no layoff policy means you will work with people that are horrible at their jobs

In my current position as a designer, I have 4 non-billable jobs (jobs related to improving your team or department) for every 1 real job. With initiatives for Best Place To Work, BHAGs, VUE, personal plans, and team activities and projects, I spend 80% of my time working on things that are not design. Some people enjoy it, but I wanted the job so I could use my degree.

Listen to your crew
    Stop approaching conversations with handbooks on corporate speak and "crucial conversations" and just talk with us.
    Get rid of the people that are bad at what they do.
    Completely rethink your IT and IS infrastructure, because they're beyond repair.
    Educate or fire all the tech support reps who refuse to learn Mac support because they don't like the platform. This makes designers' work infinitely more frustrating and wastes a ton of time and money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not much of a career here

Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people work here for the PTO.
    Nice 401k matching plan
    They have nice gyms
    Its not a bad ho-hum job. (no long hours, while salaries are below average) Raises are around 1% or 2% at best. Everybody gets about the same yearly meager raises.

Cons

If your on the phones they are constantly micro-managing your day. It gets pretty stressful. Most of lower management is made up of "Yes men/women." Very few Team Leaders think for themselves.

Management is overly concerned about winning best place to work awards. Beware of the short one sentence reviews on here.

Networking is a joke. Upper management controls everything. Promotions consist of going to other phone jobs at the same salary.

The company's goal is to lower the companywide expenses from .14% to .10% and that money has to come from somewhere. On a percent basis that's more then a 40% decrease. I'm afraid its only going to tougher on the average crew member. Including myself.

They give you a ton of PTO but its almost impossible to take days off around the major holiday's. In three years, I have not gotten a day off around Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's.

Stop trying to squeeze everything out of your employees. Value your people. Its not all about costs.

15 years down the drain

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO policy is decent for starting out, plus you can deduct from your weekly pay in order to add time. 401k matching investment plan is good

Cons

After 15 years of doing everything that was ever asked of me (quite well at that - I regularly received awards from management and coworkers), I was nitpicked and harassed to the point that I took advantage of the early retirement. The abuse was so bad that on several occasions I needed medical attention for anxiety. (My supervisor KNEW that I was suffering PTSD from a car accident).
    Vanguard might be an ok place for someone starting out, but if you're and older person who's been there for years, you will be driven out in favor of younger (cheaper) new hires. They get around their no layoff policy by treating people like dirt to make them quit.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at VG more than 5-6 years. After that, take your skills where you'll be appreciated.
    When I received my 'retirement' gift in the mail, I sent it back to them.That's how disgusted I am with them, but I'm sure they really don't care. They didn't while I worked for them.

Stop giving kids just out of college management positions! One of my managers admitted that it was her first real job. How could anyone think this is a good idea? Inexperienced, immature, pulling the same kind of games that don't belong in junior high school, let alone a professional corporation

Fund Financial Associate

Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate Culture, Work-Life Balance and a Positivie Learning Environment

Cons

Pay - You could be getting paid a lot more for your skills

Best to place to work in IT

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

Cons

Low pay and not many promotions

Vanguard's United Way Campaign

Former Employee - Client Relationship Administrator  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Below average pay
    constant micromanagement
    very political environement

Cons

- Every year they're constantly pressuring you to give to the United Way. I think we should all give to local charities regardless.
    - Vanguard claims its anonymous, yet there are events for "high donors."
    - We are pressured to give to an organization that has had multiple scandals. Search "United Way Scandals."
    - If you question anything your black listed from promotions or advancement opportunities.
    - If your going to pressure people to donate then address the multiple scandals of your favority charity.
    - Considering we're only collecting .14% in expense ratio's for our funds. Its a little much to agree to pay 12.5% for the feeder fund to charge in administrative costs before, the money ever reaches the charity. As that charity is going to have their own expenses.

Find local charities. Give crew member ten separate charities, listing how much the administative costs are per charity. Stop worries about making headlines but doing what is right.

Great company for the right fit

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company that doesn't lay people off. Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time. They provide a lot of resources if you know how to take advantage of them.

Cons

Job postings are very competitive and it can be tough to move up. You must learn to navigate the corporate culture very well. Benefits are great but salaries for loyal employees are downright insultingly low. It's also a very conservative work environment.

Reward your loyal and tenured employees with more competitive pay. Stop putting so much weight into interviews and do more research on job candidates. Make yourself more available to the employees that follow you

Good company culture, goof benfits, so-so pay, older employess struggle to gain new positions

Current Employee - CSS Representative  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - CSS Representative in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and work / life balance.

Cons

Employess hired externally struggle once in the company to advance into management positions. Previous experience is rarely taken into account. Low raises.

Look at outside management experience crew can bring to the table.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!