Vanguard

Updated November 23, 2014
3.3

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 120 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 53 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

249 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company good people

Former Employee - Supervisor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's a process for everything

Cons

That some times stifles creativity and ingenuity

Begin to pay top of market rather than at market for compensation

Career, not just a job.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are covered more than most jobs. The employees are also good to work with. Good place for a career if you put the effort in. Great work life balance.

Cons

The pay can seem low but over time it can show beneficial. Some management can be difficult to deal with.

Recognize those who work hard a little more with higher pay.

Great Place to start a Career

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vanguard has a facade of different Career options for you to follow. Vanguard has great benefits and will pay for higher education. Vanguard has the best Paid time off I have ever encountered.

Cons

The pay is on the lower level for the industry. Very Corporate and Regimented. Career Progression does take a long time.

Solid company that makes a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Vanguard is an industry leader in the investment management area. It is a highly ethical company, looking for the best interest of its shareholders. It offers good total compensation and benefits, on-site gym facilities, healthy menu options cafeterias, and strong community impact.

Cons

Vanguard has a very strong corporate culture that is collaborative. This might be difficult to navigate by those who want things done exactly their own way.

Great company, great ethics, great crew.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vanguard has been a great place to learn and grow as a professional in the financial services industry. I started in the call center and moved up through the ranks to manager. The company paid for licensing when I came on board and additional training and certifications as my job responsibilties required. I have become ASPPA certified thanks to Vanguard and continue to learn even at my level.

Compensation is fair, bonuses are truly performance based, and can be generouse for a high performing employee, and retirement plan benefits are generous.

Cons

Management places little value on "technical" abilities and does not aways recognize an individual's committment and contribution in that area.

Processor

Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some great people that you come in contact with on an everyday basis. The work/life balance is great, benefits are excellent.

Cons

Management has the worse demeanor ever! From my time there during the last 3 years of my employment with them and a department switch I can honestly say I hated working there. They have high expectations, for a process that they do not have any idea how to do themselves. Some of them are just out right rude, will not even speak to you when you say something as simple as "Good morning, Bob!" Morale is at it's all time low! If you've been there for 10 yrs or more or closer to retirement age, get ready for them to find any reason to let you go so that they can hire younger kids who are fresh from college and have no idea what they are doing to take their place.

Compensation does not match the aggravation that is received on a daily basis. It doesn't hurt to say hello, or good morning to your subordinates! You get better results when you treat people fairly and like adults instead of micromanaging every little thing that they do.

Ethical company, strict working environment

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Retirement savings plan, benefits, ethical company to represent. Big on giving back by volunteering and days of service.

Cons

Excuses for somewhat low pay are the good benefits. Certain departments are very strict and somewhat constricting.

Be more realistic about growth opportunities.

good cmpany to work for

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

benefits are the best part. paid time off is the best in the industry

Cons

Pay is on the lower side, lots of changes being made

Great culture but poor on compensation

Current Employee - Flagship Representative in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Flagship Representative in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of time off, great people and activities for employees

Cons

Pay is too low. There are lots of employees with advanced degrees making what an entry level bachelor degree should pay. Difficult to move to other departments

The healthiest work experience for anyone interested in financial services, or even general business.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company culture is incredibly inviting. There are so many ways that Vanguard looks to get "crew members" involved - in fact, promoting crew engagement is one of management's top priorities. The fact that Vanguard operates at-cost (especially noticeable in a client-facing role) makes work satisfying, knowing with confidence that you are doing the right thing by other people and are not driven by ulterior motives. There are a number of new Crew Resource Groups (known as Employee Resource Groups at other institutions), encouraging a diverse workforce, as well as hundreds (more?) of people who have spent their entire careers here. Job security is taken very seriously, as Vanguard has never conducted a layoff in its 40 year history. An extensive benefits package (health, vacation time, dry-cleaning, etc. etc.) is extremely competitive, and Vanguard really believes in the work-life balance. As the largest mutual fund company in the world, you know you're working for one of the most reputable, ethical companies out there.

Cons

Because Vanguard operates at-cost (with few, if any, commission-based positions), salaries are not competitive for side-by-side comparisons with other financial services institutions; however, I personally believe that the benefits package really fills the void here. There are very few companies that match what Vanguard offers in that arena. Furthermore, advancement into leadership is a different game at Vanguard. In many cases, having tenure and years of experience in one area does not guarantee you for a leadership position, as Vanguard is really looking for those with specific leadership characteristics, some of which are difficult to really determine. Leadership is incredibly competitive, and beyond one's early career (as Vanguard has developed leadership programs, highly catered to those new to the company and toward the beginnings of their careers), it is a tough battle to get to that stage.

The culture as far as inclusion and doing the right thing by other people is unmatchable. I can't imagine another company that is on par with Vanguard as far as that is concerned. My advice would be to consider the way in which crew are hired into leadership; I feel as though the approach is far too close-minded, and this is the cause of the most discouragement among those I have spoken with.

Vanguard Photos