Vanguard Reviews in Malvern, PA

Updated August 26, 2014

3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

320 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ethical, Friendly, Takes Care of Employees

Former Employee - College to Corporate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are incredible, everyone is willing to help you learn here. I came in as an intern and found no shortage of people willing to help me find ways to help the team, contribute, and ultimately be successful. If you put in the effort and enjoy a place where it's easy to network and try out positions you might not have the training for this is a great place to work. My boss consistently went to bat for me when needed and was always interested in finding ways to help me move up, I was even lucky enough to set up meetings with people 2 and 3 levels above my boss and they were no different. CEO Bill McNabb is even in the cafeteria enough days, showing how down-to-earth the C-suite staff are. Their training and education programs are top-notch and easy to access. Work/life balance is a huge priority and I found most weeks I wouldn't even receive any emails between Friday at 5pm and Monday morning!

Cons

Pay is better at other places, but if the friendly, networking-based culture is something you like, there's not many better places to work.

15 years down the drain

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO policy is decent for starting out, plus you can deduct from your weekly pay in order to add time. 401k matching investment plan is good

Cons

After 15 years of doing everything that was ever asked of me (quite well at that - I regularly received awards from management and coworkers), I was nitpicked and harassed to the point that I took advantage of the early retirement. The abuse was so bad that on several occasions I needed medical attention for anxiety. (My supervisor KNEW that I was suffering PTSD from a car accident).
    Vanguard might be an ok place for someone starting out, but if you're and older person who's been there for years, you will be driven out in favor of younger (cheaper) new hires. They get around their no layoff policy by treating people like dirt to make them quit.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at VG more than 5-6 years. After that, take your skills where you'll be appreciated.
    When I received my 'retirement' gift in the mail, I sent it back to them.That's how disgusted I am with them, but I'm sure they really don't care. They didn't while I worked for them.

Stop giving kids just out of college management positions! One of my managers admitted that it was her first real job. How could anyone think this is a good idea? Inexperienced, immature, pulling the same kind of games that don't belong in junior high school, let alone a professional corporation

Great company for the right fit

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company that doesn't lay people off. Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time. They provide a lot of resources if you know how to take advantage of them.

Cons

Job postings are very competitive and it can be tough to move up. You must learn to navigate the corporate culture very well. Benefits are great but salaries for loyal employees are downright insultingly low. It's also a very conservative work environment.

Reward your loyal and tenured employees with more competitive pay. Stop putting so much weight into interviews and do more research on job candidates. Make yourself more available to the employees that follow you

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not much of a career here

Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people work here for the PTO.
    Nice 401k matching plan
    They have nice gyms
    Its not a bad ho-hum job. (no long hours, while salaries are below average) Raises are around 1% or 2% at best. Everybody gets about the same yearly meager raises.

Cons

If your on the phones they are constantly micro-managing your day. It gets pretty stressful. Most of lower management is made up of "Yes men/women." Very few Team Leaders think for themselves.

Management is overly concerned about winning best place to work awards. Beware of the short one sentence reviews on here.

Networking is a joke. Upper management controls everything. Promotions consist of going to other phone jobs at the same salary.

The company's goal is to lower the companywide expenses from .14% to .10% and that money has to come from somewhere. On a percent basis that's more then a 40% decrease. I'm afraid its only going to tougher on the average crew member. Including myself.

They give you a ton of PTO but its almost impossible to take days off around the major holiday's. In three years, I have not gotten a day off around Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's.

Stop trying to squeeze everything out of your employees. Value your people. Its not all about costs.

Good company culture, goof benfits, so-so pay, older employess struggle to gain new positions

Current Employee - CSS Representative  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - CSS Representative in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and work / life balance.

Cons

Employess hired externally struggle once in the company to advance into management positions. Previous experience is rarely taken into account. Low raises.

Look at outside management experience crew can bring to the table.

Fund Financial Associate

Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate Culture, Work-Life Balance and a Positivie Learning Environment

Cons

Pay - You could be getting paid a lot more for your skills

Best to place to work in IT

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

Cons

Low pay and not many promotions

Great Place to work. People are engaging and friendly - very smart.

Current Employee - Project Administrator  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Project Administrator in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, room for growth for someone coming in at an entry level. Continuing education opportunities are encouraged. It is a multi-generational and multi-cultural working environment. HR is a force there. Team oriented work environment.

Cons

Technology improvements are very slow to materialize. Most technology dollars are used for what the client sees - slow to improve internal systems. Many departments use there own technically skilled staff to build workaround solutions to solve processing issues locally - the risk here is the know how may leave when that staff member moves on to another position.

Apply more technology dollars to internal systems. Offer technology budgets at a departmental level.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Brokerage Investment Professional  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Brokerage Investment Professional in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

They helped me study and pass the series 7 and then I succeeded in getting promoted during a very busy time for the company. Met many great people, including Mr. McNabb, who told me to call him Bill.

Cons

lots of red tape and policies to follow

keep listening to all your employees and the company will be great.

It was ok, i've had much better experiences in my professional career.

Former Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a paycheck, young professional atmosphere.

Cons

Low pay for industry, very conservative, answering 80 calls a day.

Be more ambitious with your own careers

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!