Vanguard

Updated January 27, 2015
3.3

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 120 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 53 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

259 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Processing Associate

Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, good team atmosphere, exposure to different managers, consistent hours, introduction to fellow crew in different departments, training from experienced employees with multiple years of service

Cons

Very monotonous work with almost no room for creativity or process improvement. Too many different computer systems, requiring different programs for similar transactions. An often unreasonable expectation between volume of work vs. accuracy of work. Many of the reference materials for many procedures are inconsistent and at times difficult to follow. Many errors in processing that are referred to client relations come back with "no action required," creating a sense of redundancy. Many in the training team received additional training in special subjects, leaving some to feel left behind. Very, very little flexibility in terms of when lunch and breaks may be taken. Many of the tenured and experienced trainers were still awaiting promotions themselves, indicating the difficulty in advancing upwards in the company.

Focus on exposing new talent to different departments. Simply doing the same basic tasks day in, day out does not provide a very strong impression of how the company works as a whole.

satisfying

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and enough room to grow professionally

Cons

if you are not a people person, it will be hard to get promoted.

Client Services Associate

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vanguard has excellent benefits. They include medical coverage, profit sharing, retirement that they pay for you, 401k, excellent vacation benefits. I didn't like their sick leave policy. The training was 3 months long when I started there and that was so beneficial because one knew how to answer certain questions that shareholders would ask. They also had ongoing training for consistently changing software.

Cons

The salary wasn't up to standards for all one had to do. It was very difficult to advance. A lot of times I felt that management were too robotic in that everyone talked like everything was always wonderful.

You really should listen to members of your team more to see how everything was doing.

Limited opportunities for advancement, outdated systems, overly conservative

Former Employee - Supervisor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to invest or start your career. Good benefits; both health and retirement.

Cons

If you don't drink the "kool-aid" good luck in advancing in the company. I was there for almost 20 years and found the company favoring college grads over experience. The culture is overly politically correct which stifles creativity. The systems are antiquated, but the company touts being on the cutting edge of technology. Although the company promotes that their pay is in line with the industry, it's actually 20% less. If you work in the IT areas, the pay is substantially lower since it is a financial company and not and IT company. Advancement is based on who you know, not necessarily hiring the right person for the job. Management does not care if you are good at what you do or hard-working. We had to keep telling employees that if they are not "visible" they can't get promoted regardless of how hard they work. There is near zero empowerment or flexibility. No consistency between crew members performance. Company doesn't believe in layoffs, so they restructure departments and make everyone apply for their jobs again or have you look for another job. If you can't get one in 60 days, you are terminated. At the senior management level, they are incredibly slow with decision making, what they say make take two years to implement can take longer. The is a lot of dead weight in senior level positions because of who they know, but not how they perform. This makes it tough to work for those individuals because they are only concerned with themselves and not with your advancement. Staffing is a joke for certain areas, but the company promotes doing more with less so this just creates more work for everyone else, but top management doesn't seem to care. This can make work life balance impossible since their can be mandatory overtime or the inability to take earned vacation. Promotions get harder, the higher you get due to lack of opportunity. No free thinking. Started using Gallup survey to gauge crew satisfaction, but has been seen as a way to avoid having to respond to direct questions. Interview process is absurd and is behavioral based questions, which doesn't allow the right people to be moved into the right positions.

Read the reviews on this site and see what what crew have been trying to tell you for years,

Better place to invest than work!

Former Employee - RFP Writer in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - RFP Writer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training, job security, lovely suburban campus, short work week(37.5 hrs but most work less)

Cons

Slow career progression, low pay, politics, group think, far too many layers of management, micromanagement!

Listen to your employees not just what their supervisors managers senior managers principal think they know.

As a contractor, I felt the company to be OK. The manager was good. But the team members were not mingling.

Former Employee - IT Contractor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - IT Contractor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

In the short time frame of my work there, I feel the project manager in my team was OK.

Cons

Teammates are not friendly. All the time the contractor will be left alone. I left the company for my personal reasons though.

Treat everyone in the team, either it is contractor or FTE equally.

Good.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people there are great.

Cons

Micro management from top down.

Continue to keep great values.

Great jobs, Good Co but some departments need better leadership.

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good training, Flexible environment ,Benefits, No lay offs, Stable and growing company. Plenty of potential.

Cons

Unqualified managers and employees- some managers lack communication skills.Dont understand what they are trying to convey.
    Totally unqualified contractors and crew. Get very little done during business hrs - claim overtime, and are as hired full time employees! Mind you I am talking just data-entry here. Nothing fancy.
    Slow moving. Low pay.
    Form my experience, if you pay more attention to your looks, talk a lot (non work related subjects) and act like you are working hard--- you have a job !

Please think twice before hiring young people without looking at their talent or qualification. Give credit for credit worthy work and high time to lay off those not performing.

Good company with great benefits, great people, and great values

Current Employee - Line Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Line Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Terrific benefits; I can't believe I get 5 weeks paid vacation, 14% 401k match/contribution, and health insurance that costs $60/month. What??
    - By and large, terrific people who care about each other and our clients
    - I fully believe in the values and culture of this company, something that is rare in finance
    - Love how supportive the company is of making lateral moves to other roles, departments, and even careers
    - If you can develop a mentor who believes in you, it will prove tremendously helpful

Cons

- Getting promoted relies tremendously on who you know; this seems to carry more weight than how well you actually do your job.
    - For all the talk of getting more women in leadership, I don't see a ton of progress in this area. It's going to take way more than "you go girl!" speeches to make this tightly buttoned culture more open toward people who look and think differently than the tall, white males who primarily run the company.
    - I've been lucky that most of the people I've worked with have been top notch. However, I have encountered a couple who really just stink at their jobs. I wonder how it is that their managers don't see this.

- I see people who came in through special programs (VADP, MBA, AFP) and are automatically put on the talent watch lists. This means they get way more opportunities than others, some of whom are actually a lot better than the people in the special programs. My advice: make a way for people who are not on the talent watch lists to get noticed and give them a chance to earn a spot on the talent lists.
    - Please, please make it easier to work from home for those of us who work in client-facing groups

good people, low pay, lots of red tape

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good people, friendly, hands on managers

Cons

managers micro manage, to many projects to do outside of your regular job duties, to much kissing butt to upper management to get ahead

look at people who work hard and don't ask for the "pat" on the back mentality

Vanguard Photos