Vanguard

Updated March 5, 2015
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 120 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 53 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

323 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Rotational Leadership Development Program Participant

Former Employee - Leadership Rotational Program in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Leadership Rotational Program in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vanguard has great benefits and company values as well as a solid work/life balance. The people are extremely friendly and always willing to meet and talk about their roles in different departments. As a Leadership Development rotational program right out of undergraduate I felt as though I was very privileged and had many more opportunities than regular hires. Granted there are about 20 odd Leadership development hires in a company of 20,000 people.

Cons

As a large organization it is very hard to get recognized if you do not have the right boss promoting you and your skills. Promotions are few and far between. It is very easy to get stuck in one silo of the organization. For example it would be virtually impossible to move from Sales to Corporate Strategy unless you were top management. You are looking at at least 4-5 years in one role before being considered for movement within the organization.

Although the conservative thought leadership has worked very well for Vanguard for many years, to get the type of talent to take the company to the next level of international scale, management is going to have to start thinking outside the box in terms of the people they need leading the organization.

Workplace

Former Employee - Processing Associate in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Processing Associate in Wayne, PA

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

Good if you like working alone, great initial training

Cons

No ongoing training, no solid timetable on length of contract work

Building atmosphere feels like an up tight high school

Vanguard is a great place to kick off a new career; it offers good benefits and there are a lot of young people there

Former Employee - Fund Financial Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Fund Financial Analyst in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fun co-workers, great place to start a career, fairly easy to move up from an entry level job

Cons

Highly political, lots of favoritism, if you are not "in" with management within 5 years - look for a new job immediately or else you will get "stuck," they are in heavy cost cutting mode now

Go back to the company's roots of treating its employees as the true assets of the company and not expendable resources; need to evaluate your employee's performance based on value brought to company, not based on how good of friends you are with management

Good company but expect a lot from the investment professionals for the average salary.

Former Employee - Flagship Assigned Representative in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Flagship Assigned Representative in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

Fair policies, advancement opportunities especially for younger crew

Cons

Huge client base, high expectations, call center environment , strict with call quality and advice policies

Less meetings and fewer coaching sessions less micro management and favoritism. Practice what you preach regarding diversity.

Software developer

Former Employee - Developer Associate in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Developer Associate in Wayne, PA

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

2 people seemed to be nice

Cons

I was given a job which has nothing to do with the interview guidelines and job description. I was misled.

I created a database, which would help management to estimate better the developing effort...but I was laid of because of that

It was terrible

Former Employee - CRA in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - CRA in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co workers team birthdays regular schedule

Cons

Micromanaging too conservative better education

get to know your staff better

I'm constantly learning and growing.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent retirement plan and benefits, life resources, and an ethical company in which to invest.

Cons

The commute, the culture is not conducive for creativity, who you report to can make or break you.

Opportunities for growth are increasingly limited within some areas, and not every one is treated equally.

It pays....

Current Contractor - Financial Processing Associate in Wayne, PA
    Current Contractor - Financial Processing Associate in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Vanguard as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I am a contractor with Randstad, so I don't reap the benefits of a full-time Vanguard employee. My pros would be working around young people, friendly office environment, some what of a "work-life-balance", and a decent first job out of college to build upon my skills

Cons

The job itself is mind numbing. I feel like a hamster spinning on a wheel, doing the same thing all day everyday. I also work extremely long hours, but get 3 days off a week. The amount of time I'm physically in the office (11 hours) makes it feel like I have no time off, and working every other Saturday is kind of a drag. They also micro manage a bit here, but that's to be expected for a bunch of low paid entry level workers. By micro manage-- they listen to every conversation amongst coworkers intently, and will hold it against you. They also keep track of how often you go to the bathroom and how much/how fast you get done work everyday. It feels like a factory line.

Interactions with management is generally pleasant, but a lot of those in management positions are under 30 and don't know what they're doing/use intimidation to scare you into getting work done.

Not For Everyone

Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is honestly tough.

-I met some great supervisors and managers who truly looked out for their subordinates' best interests, even if it was relaying the honest truth that Vanguard isn't a suitable company for everyone.
    -Partnership day.
    -Ability to peruse available jobs and apply from within the company through their internal bulletin.
    -Almost a month of PTO after "buying" an additional 5 days - in your first year!
    -Once you get past the entry-level jobs a crew member will most often have more independence and more intellectually stimulating job responsibilities.

Cons

I'll start by saying that this job wasn't for me.

After 2 and half years in a technical role where we were pretty much tied to our desks, it was difficult to stay "engaged". These things may describe a typical office atmosphere, and maybe I am too sensitive regarding office politics, but nonetheless this should prove useful to prospects...

-The job's pay grade was similar to entry level phones, but involved demanding and higher complexity work.
    -3 months of training in a job that should require a minimum of 6 months with on the job training and labs.
    -You will spend literal years learning the processes only to find that this knowledge is almost exclusively useful in this job and this job only.
    -Being off of main campus - unhealthy people, no respect for the dress code, entitled and generally spiteful colleagues who have no interest in working in a team atmosphere.
    -Rising sophistication of technology lead to more specialized and technical work, without a raise in pay.
    -Despite constant patches and updates, internal systems and technology were well behind the technical prowess of rival firms resulting in daily crashes, sometimes effecting the entire department (which would lead to lunch cuts and mandatory OT).
    -Vanguard will not "lay off" employees in times of hardship, but they will manipulate any situation in order to justify a termination. This happened to many.
    -Many of my close friends were high performers, who in their first year were given strong reviews, raises, and a pay grade bump. In the second year, after 3 department head rotations and multiple manager transitions and replacements, these high performers were met with increased criticism, sandbagging, and general mind games which lead to decreased motivation, higher stress, and decreased productivity, while leaving them basically helpless to build upon themselves professionally.
    -Multiple restrictions to employee schedules over time (from 6 available shifts to a dismal 2). Better hire that babysitter you can't afford.
    -Forced OT (I heard about this after I left) for remaining staff due to attrition and numerous terminations.
    -Constant pressure from management to do more work than you can actually do.
    -Despite some truly amazing supervisors and managers, there are always the people who can ruin your experience with a company. Not much accountability for supervisors. Walk in at 9:30, leave by 11:30 to shop at KOP, return at 2, absent from desk until 4, never returning an email. I honestly have never seen people get paid so much to do so little.

This is basically scratching the surface. I have read the rules and this is not a rant. This is intended to warn those who seek entry level employment within Vanguard's processing departments. If you truly love the markets and financial services in general, you will most likely be able to look past most of these issues and find something that truly drives you beyond this role. If you are a creative person, if you like to have an impact on the company you work for and expect your opinion to be valued, this is NOT the place for you. If you respect your own humanity and believe that people should be treated as people and not as a unit or a number, this is NOT the job for you. This is a big company who is pretty well known for being old fashioned and "at-cost" (cheap). Compensation is low, Partnership is nothing like it used to be, and office politics will drown you. Do yourself a favor and consider other options before accepting $34,000 a year in hourly salary in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Good luck with that right out of college with student loan debt.

Watch more TED Talks on the mismatch between science and business in regards to incentives. Create a more accepting and less prejudice office culture. Be better to your employees, they are starting to desert you.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Problem Resolution Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Problem Resolution Analyst in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

They really are flexible when it comes to work life balance

Cons

I wish they were located in the city which would have made the commute easier

Vanguard Photos