Vanguard

Vanguard Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb

William McNabb

Pros
  • They also strive to give you a work/life balance and are very liberal(in 101 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path(in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions(in 43 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones(in 13 reviews)

128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall it is a great company to work with, they always put our clients first

Brokerage Associate (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThey practice what they preach, super ethical company

Conspays less than other competitors

Great if you're willing to engage in the politics

Project Administrator (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

Pros-Great benefits (PTO & Healthcare)
    -Opportunities for continued learning
    -Fairly easy to maintain good work/life balance

Cons-Skewed view of what it is to be a leader
    -Need to fall in line with company norms to make into managment
    -Internal hiring practices for management positions don't fall with their culture of "diversity"
    -Salaries could be higher

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit focusing on the universal leader and retain talent and knowledge within departments.

Great place to work.

Client Relations Associate (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThe benefits at Vanguard are amazing including a 14% 401k company contribution and excellent healthcare. The company is also growing fast with many opportunities for advancement.

ConsIt is hard to think of downsides of working at Vanguard. They only have a couple of locations so unless you live in Arizona or Pennsylvania there are few outside positions available.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that has integrity in how they approach their clients.

Investment Consultant (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsA company that puts their clients first.

ConsLow salaries and management's methodology to career paths.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more competitive in your salaries and value outside experience.

Great company to work for, grow up within and plan for the future.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

Pros- Phenomenal leadership overall. Where it counts this group is driven by a commitment to developing our employees to better our clients. From the top down this is evident. Naturally, there is some hit a miss as you move down but for the most part it rings true.

- Work life balance. You have five weeks off. Paid. Five. That is over a month. Beyond that there are programs designed to allow from work for home, flex scheduling and "life happens" adjustments.

- Opportunity to develop. You can do anything you want in the company. Especially at the leadership level. If you historically have served Institutional Clients and discover the itch to lead a Retail team you will be given every opportunity to do so. You never have to be pigeon held.

- Real talk. You work for a company that is dedicated to its mission, to give our clients the best chance for investment success. No other investment firm can point to each aspect of its operation and say the same, not Chuck, Fidelity, B of A etc etc. If you are out solely for your wallet, than another company may better suit your motivations. Just don't be surprised when that company is only out for theirs.

Cons- Morale: This is more of a comment on the 22 - 36 year old demographic (which I am in) being rather entitled.

1) People right out of college (or even worse, an MBA program without any work experience) assume they should be making more than should without ever demonstrating performance. Anyone can read a book, tell me what you learned and show me how to apply it before you expect a reward.

2) People want to be rewarded for tenure without having to raise their own performance year over year. You shouldn't be given anything for just managing to attend work for 10 years.

As a result, individuals and even departments can become cranky to a point that they forget (or play make believe) to the quality of the organization. It can be tough to work around people that essentially act like disenfranchised high school students who think it is cool to not try hard.

Yes, the majority of people hired in are, and will continue to be, in a contact center environment. This is the best way to serve our clients at cost but we could do a better job explaining it.

That being said, some people are just entitled.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel we do a good job aspiring to transparency but that is such a hard goal we should probably error on the side of being over transparent.

Corporate culture with lack pf passion for investing

Participant Services (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsVanguard has a great 401k and good benefits for employees. The people that work at Vanguard also are a strong positive.

ConsMediocre pay. Corny corporate culture. There is a real lack of passion for investing. Most of the people are just there because it's a job. it seems like it's a good place to start a career in finance, but if you want to be paid what you are worth you will have to leave after you get some experience. The prevailing sentiment that I hear is people just wanting to get fully vested in the 401k and then leave. There seems to be a high amount of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly want employees to be engaged the pay needs to increase.

Sadly deceptive

Client Relationship Administrator (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsWork life balance, free parking, free lunches when it's really busy, and not much else I can say because it's a 20 word minimum.

ConsHR is dishonest in its hiring practices, employees are grossly underpaid, low cost is akin to "drinking the koolaid" …. very political environment, management has absolutely no idea how to lead a department and reach goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're unable to keep people in Flagship because you refuse to tell people that it IS a call center. It is NOT a relationship management position. The Client Relationship Administrator position is now being advertised as a Wealth Management Consultant position so you can get more potential employees interested in the position, and you act like that's a good thing? That's deceptive and dishonest. HR sent out a broadcast message that more people are applying, but their title will be Client Relationship Administrator/Registered Representative/Assigned Representative. You're trying to hire people under extremely false pretenses with a false title. You really should be ashamed of yourselves!

Company dedicated to employee happiness

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat vacation and benefits. Great culture and environment.

ConsThey could pay employees more

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on fixing processes and being more efficient rather than just hiring bodies to answer phones. (ie Contractors)

Vanguard is a great place to work because they invest in the interest of their clients, crew, and the community.

Team Leader (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

Pros10% salary contribution to 401k automatically, 4% match to 401(k) and good health care benefits.

ConsIt appears to be harder and harder for people over 40 to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more time with ensuring those introverted crew members voices are heard. They have a lot to offer but sometimes are quiet when they are at the table.

Easy & Low-cost

Intern (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThe funds are low cost and the iPhone app is very simple to use.

ConsNo local offices to meet with people in person.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the crew members what they are worth.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!