Vanguard

www.vanguard.com
Employer Engaged

157 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Solid company with an emphasis on quality and personal growth.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team leaders are all great and the amount of training they are willing to give is outstanding. They do take time to get to know you and help with your career.

Cons

The only thing I would complain about is the ridiculous amount of political correctness like the diversity training. I assume all corporations are like that however. The pay could be a little higher but the job security is excellent.

Great culture, awesome start career, just not for me

Former Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company has a great culture, is very encouraging, welcoming, and inclusive. They make sure you have all the training and support that you need and are very supportive of building your career and getting you promotion opportunities after you've gained some experience.

I felt really comfortable with my team and management and really everyone I came in contact with, and felt very confident in my job role and all the added responsibilities that I gained over my year there. Also, their retirement plan is one of the best I've seen, very generous.

Cons

The only challenge I had was with the actual day-to-day job in itself. I learned in my time there that a call center environment is just not for me and on top of that, I needed more of a creative outlet and not to sit in a cubicle on the phone all day. This was a great place to start a career, but what it came down to is that I ended up realizing that I had zero passion in investments and retirement accounts so I had to move on to something more creative. Really the only cons are the call center environment and the fact that they are a huge, corporate company so it can feel a tad stuffy from time to time.

I felt that management was more or less on the ball when it came to training and leading their staff. They were very understanding when I decided to pursue another career path.

No reason to work here longer than 2 years.

Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get your licensing, learn the basics, go somewhere where they will pay you and you will have a future. Vanguard is a abyss of mediocrity and middle management cubicle jockeys.

Cons

Vanguard is a better place to invest then work. There is 0 motivation or incentive to do a good job. Everyone gets paid the same and if you are breathing everyone gets the same bonus. The odd thing is some people still try and do good job and they get passed over by the fratty bro who attends the most happy hours at Four Peaks. Look around the parking garage - do you really want to aim big and be able to afford a '99 Civic or just 3 roommates when you are a 30 yr old D Level??

Fire 80% of management and then let Fidelity buy you out.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Work-life balance, and challenging work.

Cons

Slow to make various decisions.

You are doing great!

Used to be amazing.....

Former Employee - CRA in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - CRA in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits still best in the biz/ a monkey w/a disability could do 95% of the jobs..very stress free

Cons

Vastly under-utilized associates answering inbound phone calls about '401k loans' for one of the most meager salaries in the industry...

Most are useless and micromanage too much to cover own hide

Time to move on..

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great starter job to get you introduced to the industry. a large group of young people to meet.

Cons

very structured and developed company so it's difficult to be involved in any projects that can potentially make a difference. extremely repetitive with the inbound calls resulting in a lack of skills being used on a daily basis. most employees are complacent in this call-center environment.

Unless you're a recent graduate right out of school not an ideal place I would want to be.

Former Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people and that's about it.

Cons

Horrible pay, slow advancement opportunity.

Quality company

Current Employee - Investment Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Investment Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great peers, growing company, ethical, outstanding product.

Cons

Moving around the company all hinges on how well you interview internally. Assuming you get past that hurdle, the maximum increase you get is either 10% or 15%. The result is working with outside hires with less experience making significantly more money; not a very good promote from within policy.

Do not have those hired from the outside making significantly more than those who were promoted from within who often have more experience and better skills. That is probably the biggest reason for losing your best employees.

Customer Service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good people, claim to embrace diversity, no lay offs, good paid time off, large stable company that is growing

Cons

low pay, not a lot of opportunity for advancement, very youth oriented i.e. not many people advancing if they are over 50,

If VG is so transparent and investor oriented, why not publish what the CEO and officers earn? Public companies make that disclosure. Vanguard is owned by its shareholders but its owners (i.e. shareholders) don't know what they are paying their employees i.e. CEO etc. Also pay your employees a better wage. Vanguard wants to be a leader in the financial industry but they are very tight with the purse strings i.e. wages, computers, web site, etc.

Overall good. Gets kind of old after a while. It starts to feel like this weird overly sanitized church after a while.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, annual bonus is awesome, 401k matching, benefits, etc. are all good. Easy to get promoted if you work hard and make connections.

Cons

You have to be extremely politically correct at all times which gets very old after a while. Think, elevator conversation pretty much a lot. Everyone is kind of in this happy fake positive mood all the time and it gets super annoying after a while.

Not sure, management is perfect overall, that is why it gets annoying, because you can't have an actual real conversation. They are all like robot droids.

Vanguard Photos