Vanguard Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated September 17, 2014
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

137 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great if you're willing to engage in the politics

Current Employee - Project Administrator  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great benefits (PTO & Healthcare)
    -Opportunities for continued learning
    -Fairly easy to maintain good work/life balance

Cons

-Skewed view of what it is to be a leader
    -Need to fall in line with company norms to make into managment
    -Internal hiring practices for management positions don't fall with their culture of "diversity"
    -Salaries could be higher

Quit focusing on the universal leader and retain talent and knowledge within departments.

A company that has integrity in how they approach their clients.

Current Employee - Investment Consultant  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A company that puts their clients first.

Cons

Low salaries and management's methodology to career paths.

Become more competitive in your salaries and value outside experience.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits at Vanguard are amazing including a 14% 401k company contribution and excellent healthcare. The company is also growing fast with many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

It is hard to think of downsides of working at Vanguard. They only have a couple of locations so unless you live in Arizona or Pennsylvania there are few outside positions available.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for, grow up within and plan for the future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Phenomenal leadership overall. Where it counts this group is driven by a commitment to developing our employees to better our clients. From the top down this is evident. Naturally, there is some hit a miss as you move down but for the most part it rings true.

- Work life balance. You have five weeks off. Paid. Five. That is over a month. Beyond that there are programs designed to allow from work for home, flex scheduling and "life happens" adjustments.

- Opportunity to develop. You can do anything you want in the company. Especially at the leadership level. If you historically have served Institutional Clients and discover the itch to lead a Retail team you will be given every opportunity to do so. You never have to be pigeon held.

- Real talk. You work for a company that is dedicated to its mission, to give our clients the best chance for investment success. No other investment firm can point to each aspect of its operation and say the same, not Chuck, Fidelity, B of A etc etc. If you are out solely for your wallet, than another company may better suit your motivations. Just don't be surprised when that company is only out for theirs.

Cons

- Morale: This is more of a comment on the 22 - 36 year old demographic (which I am in) being rather entitled.

1) People right out of college (or even worse, an MBA program without any work experience) assume they should be making more than should without ever demonstrating performance. Anyone can read a book, tell me what you learned and show me how to apply it before you expect a reward.

2) People want to be rewarded for tenure without having to raise their own performance year over year. You shouldn't be given anything for just managing to attend work for 10 years.

As a result, individuals and even departments can become cranky to a point that they forget (or play make believe) to the quality of the organization. It can be tough to work around people that essentially act like disenfranchised high school students who think it is cool to not try hard.

Yes, the majority of people hired in are, and will continue to be, in a contact center environment. This is the best way to serve our clients at cost but we could do a better job explaining it.

That being said, some people are just entitled.

I feel we do a good job aspiring to transparency but that is such a hard goal we should probably error on the side of being over transparent.

Corporate culture with lack pf passion for investing

Current Employee - Participant Services  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Participant Services in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vanguard has a great 401k and good benefits for employees. The people that work at Vanguard also are a strong positive.

Cons

Mediocre pay. Corny corporate culture. There is a real lack of passion for investing. Most of the people are just there because it's a job. it seems like it's a good place to start a career in finance, but if you want to be paid what you are worth you will have to leave after you get some experience. The prevailing sentiment that I hear is people just wanting to get fully vested in the 401k and then leave. There seems to be a high amount of turnover.

If you truly want employees to be engaged the pay needs to increase.

Sadly deceptive

Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, free parking, free lunches when it's really busy, and not much else I can say because it's a 20 word minimum.

Cons

HR is dishonest in its hiring practices, employees are grossly underpaid, low cost is akin to "drinking the koolaid" …. very political environment, management has absolutely no idea how to lead a department and reach goals.

You're unable to keep people in Flagship because you refuse to tell people that it IS a call center. It is NOT a relationship management position. The Client Relationship Administrator position is now being advertised as a Wealth Management Consultant position so you can get more potential employees interested in the position, and you act like that's a good thing? That's deceptive and dishonest. HR sent out a broadcast message that more people are applying, but their title will be Client Relationship Administrator/Registered Representative/Assigned Representative. You're trying to hire people under extremely false pretenses with a false title. You really should be ashamed of yourselves!

Company dedicated to employee happiness

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great vacation and benefits. Great culture and environment.

Cons

They could pay employees more

Focus on fixing processes and being more efficient rather than just hiring bodies to answer phones. (ie Contractors)

Vanguard is a great place to work because they invest in the interest of their clients, crew, and the community.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

10% salary contribution to 401k automatically, 4% match to 401(k) and good health care benefits.

Cons

It appears to be harder and harder for people over 40 to be promoted.

Invest more time with ensuring those introverted crew members voices are heard. They have a lot to offer but sometimes are quiet when they are at the table.

Easy & Low-cost

Current Employee - Intern  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Intern in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The funds are low cost and the iPhone app is very simple to use.

Cons

No local offices to meet with people in person.

Pay the crew members what they are worth.

OK

Current Employee - Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are great and good culture

Cons

Salary are low and do not match market rate

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!