Vanguard Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Ethical, Friendly, Takes Care of Employees

Former Employee - College to Corporate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are incredible, everyone is willing to help you learn here. I came in as an intern and found no shortage of people willing to help me find ways to help the team, contribute, and ultimately be successful. If you put in the effort and enjoy a place where it's easy to network and try out positions you might not have the training for this is a great place to work. My boss consistently went to bat for me when needed and was always interested in finding ways to help me move up, I was even lucky enough to set up meetings with people 2 and 3 levels above my boss and they were no different. CEO Bill McNabb is even in the cafeteria enough days, showing how down-to-earth the C-suite staff are. Their training and education programs are top-notch and easy to access. Work/life balance is a huge priority and I found most weeks I wouldn't even receive any emails between Friday at 5pm and Monday morning!

Cons

Pay is better at other places, but if the friendly, networking-based culture is something you like, there's not many better places to work.

Great company

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, benefits, management, training.

Cons

Pay is low, little room to grow your career.

Listen to employee opinions from all job levels and age ranges.

15 years down the drain

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO policy is decent for starting out, plus you can deduct from your weekly pay in order to add time. 401k matching investment plan is good

Cons

After 15 years of doing everything that was ever asked of me (quite well at that - I regularly received awards from management and coworkers), I was nitpicked and harassed to the point that I took advantage of the early retirement. The abuse was so bad that on several occasions I needed medical attention for anxiety. (My supervisor KNEW that I was suffering PTSD from a car accident).
    Vanguard might be an ok place for someone starting out, but if you're and older person who's been there for years, you will be driven out in favor of younger (cheaper) new hires. They get around their no layoff policy by treating people like dirt to make them quit.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at VG more than 5-6 years. After that, take your skills where you'll be appreciated.
    When I received my 'retirement' gift in the mail, I sent it back to them.That's how disgusted I am with them, but I'm sure they really don't care. They didn't while I worked for them.

Stop giving kids just out of college management positions! One of my managers admitted that it was her first real job. How could anyone think this is a good idea? Inexperienced, immature, pulling the same kind of games that don't belong in junior high school, let alone a professional corporation

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UI Developer

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

A lot of technical and leadership training available. Gives you access to multiple functional roles outside of just being a developer.

Cons

Just like any well established company, growth may be hard to come by at VG. However, they try their best to elevate ppl. But there is only so much you can do when you have so many employees but only a select few leadership roles.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Mobility and Job opportunities for those who are motivated. Culture is extremely strong and supportive.

Cons

Decisions are made by committee. That gets frustrating at times. Some leaders care more about their own career than those that work for them.

Trust your employees. They are the experts.

Technical Analyst

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company. Benefits are very good. Most managers are concerned about the people working for them and try to give a good work life balance

Cons

Salary package is not competitive as compared to other companies
    But considering the benefits and other incentives the over all package is not bad at all.

Promotions are very difficult. Many youngsters in IT department have left the company because they got better offers in different companies. Vanguard needs to reward the hard working people and appreciate them.

Client Relationship Associate

Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, easy work, and good starter job.

Cons

Low pay, boring work, call center environment, tied to your desk and every minute is tracked .

Great benefits.....not for long term career.

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO and Retirement Plan is great.

Cons

Seem to manage anyone over 40 out the door. Not very diversed. Take a look at how many people are in management over the age of 40. They prefer inexperienced college grads. Very disappointing place to work in the long run. Not many races working in company. They also discriminate against overweight individuals. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The culture is not as good as it use to be.

Good company, below to average compensation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Valley Forge, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley Forge, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vanguard provides many different work opportunities and great training. I was able to develop many skills in numerous positions. Phenomenal product and focus on the client. Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Low pay and too much focus on cost cutting and doing more with less. The company is an industry leader but continues to alienate employees unnecessarily. Promotions are often given to those who excessively network rather than to the highest performers.

Stop cutting costs and share the wealth with the employees. Reward those most deserving rather than those who network the best.

Not much of a career here

Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people work here for the PTO.
    Nice 401k matching plan
    They have nice gyms
    Its not a bad ho-hum job. (no long hours, while salaries are below average) Raises are around 1% or 2% at best. Everybody gets about the same yearly meager raises.

Cons

If your on the phones they are constantly micro-managing your day. It gets pretty stressful. Most of lower management is made up of "Yes men/women." Very few Team Leaders think for themselves.

Management is overly concerned about winning best place to work awards. Beware of the short one sentence reviews on here.

Networking is a joke. Upper management controls everything. Promotions consist of going to other phone jobs at the same salary.

The company's goal is to lower the companywide expenses from .14% to .10% and that money has to come from somewhere. On a percent basis that's more then a 40% decrease. I'm afraid its only going to tougher on the average crew member. Including myself.

They give you a ton of PTO but its almost impossible to take days off around the major holiday's. In three years, I have not gotten a day off around Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's.

Stop trying to squeeze everything out of your employees. Value your people. Its not all about costs.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!