Vanguard Reviews

Reset
3.1
Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 120 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 53 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Didn't Appreciate what I had until I was gone

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

As you get older, you appreciate the 'total compensation' package even more.
    The health benefits are steller as is the PTO and retirement. I have not seen a company even compare.

No mass layoffs

Cons

Some Depts are great, some aren't. It all depends on the dept that you are in. If you are not in a dept that you enjoy, then post out to another one. A bad dept is not a reflection on the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and offer more flexible scheduling for work life balance.

2. If you can handle a call center....

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is laid back and very friendly. No pressure about sales, books of business, etc. Great benefits. Company does a lot to support community.

Cons

Being a call center, it gets very robotic after a while. Pay is less than competitors salary. Not much incentive to stay if you don't mind doing a little more elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as well as you treat your clients.

3. Copywriter

I worked at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Great company that takes care of its employees. My experience was overwhelmingly positive.

Cons

The starting pay wasn't great, but if you put your time in, this company takes care of you and opens doors for your career.

5. Anonymous

Current Employee - Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great culture and ability to move

Cons

Pay, far from city, but not too far

6. Overall a solid place to build a career

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-work/life balance
    -decent benefits
    -make significant contributions to your 401(k)
    -ability to move around the company often and try different roles/gain new skills
    -great at training employees and encouraging development
    -good profit sharing plan paid out yearly

Cons

-hard to negotiate salary increases. Base salary can be low. Have to really speak up for yourself and do your homework to make sure you are getting a fair base
    -some management there is great, truly inspiring leaders, but more of the leaders there should stick to what they do best and should not be in a people leadership position
    -slow to try new things, make decisions. A lot of bureaucracy and red tape
    -it's a huge company and it can be hard to stand out and make a name for yourself

Advice to Management

Put only people in leadership positions that truly want to be there and are strong leaders and coaches. Stand up for your employees and make sure they are being paid competitively.

Low base pay rigid management no room to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Good 401k match and partnership

Cons

Literal children managers, no real world experience through VADP. People who move up 'play the game, talk the talk' but are simply not qualified to run a circle k, let alone a team

Advice to Management

Rethink entire interview process. Restructure departments and teams. No one is happy. Everyone seems like overworked and underpaid drones.

8. Not bad

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great culture, supportive work environment

Cons

Pay understandably lower by industry standards due to company structure

Good and bad

Former Employee - Project Administrator in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Total compensation after many years was worth it.
    -Benefits are great, including PTO , etc.
    -Ability to move around the company and experience different departments.
    -If you have a good manager they will take you with them. Recognized the good ones!
    -Flexible work schedules
    -Diverse workforce... Except at upper management/executive level.
    -That's about it. 15 years and that's all I've got.

Cons

-While ability to move around exists... Ability to move up does not. Unless you "know" someone. After multiple distinguished ratings I couldn't seem to get to the next level no matter what I did.
    -Favoritism is rampant. As with all large companies, it is who you know and where they are, not necessarily what you do.
    -The "graduate programs" are a joke to the long term loyal employees that have put in decades of work to this company. Let's bring in a college graduate, let them rotate departments for a year and a half, and then land in a position equal to mine, at higher pay than I had after 15 years working my way up. Better yet, how about an MBA graduate... Let's let them rotate for a year, wine and dine them, give them a signing bonus, and then have them land a level above me with much higher pay... After you used me and my 15 years of loyalty to train them. Vanguard, your talent is within... Look for it, recognize it, and use it instead of bringing in fresh blood who will use the experience, your name, and the "stepping stone" and leave in 2 years! If you are a new graduate this is a great place to start! They love their graduate programs... You will be spoiled, highly regarded and rise to the top in a heartbeat! Do it!
    -If you are 6+ years tenure, and stagnant at a bonus level (D and above) , they will find a way to force you out. It costs more to keep you than to hire a new graduate. If you are late in your career this is not the place for you.
    -They encourage independent thinking... But not really. If you have your own thoughts and new ideas this is not the place for you.
    -I could go on but I am adhering to the rules not to rant. My hope is to give inside information to both new prospects and existing employees. It truly was a great place to start. I didn't think I'd be there as long as I was. And because I was, I saw how poorly they treated the long term employees. The benefits and pay (total compensation accounted for) are fantastic.
    -My advice... Get your start here you recent grads... Use the name and reputation to further your career and then get out before they hook you in and eventually force you out.

Advice to Management

-See above regarding the graduate programs. You may get great people... But you demoralize your long term loyal employees. Time to weigh the benefits.
    -Analyze your management team more than your front line folks. Front line can only do so well under poor management.
    -Keep the total comp programs going. They work!!! Kept me there for may years.
    -Look more closely at your existing high performers. These are the loyal employees that will make you a #1 Employer. Not your new grads, your contractors or the outsourced from India for IT projects that I've recently learned about. You have the talent within your 15000 employees... Stop looking outside of that!

Good place to start a career. Bad place to advance.

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Great place to start a career in finance. (Will learn a lot)
    • Good benefits. (401k, PTO)
    • Great place if you just want to come to work and take phone calls. (Ambition is not necessarily encouraged/rewarded)
    • Lots of vacation time. PTO + market holidays

Cons

• Very difficult to advance and "get off the phones." There has been a lot of hiring for entry level positions, which has created a lot of demand for the higher "letters."
    • If you are able to get a "promotion" you're limited to a 10% raise. Non-negotiable! The only time you might be able to negotiate your salary is when first being hired. This is VERY important, because your starting salary will dictate your potential increases moving forward.
    • When accepting a promotion, be careful of the start date. They may "delay" your start date for a couple months so that your bonus the following year is significantly less.
    • Vanguard is getting VERY big and a lot of the fun that smaller departments used to have seems to be going away.

Advice to Management

Attempting to increase crew engagement while "bending the cost curve" is a challenging task. Just a couple years ago there was a solicitation from crew about what they wanted in a break room. A lot of those things were implemented. However, about a year later this break rooms were converted to training rooms. That was very disengaging. I encourage management to not lose sight of some of the things that have made Vanguard a great company. Reducing costs makes sense (to a certain extent), but at what costs?

Vanguard is not for everyone.

I worked at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Tuition reimbursement is helpful, good benefits, and client focus.

Cons

Management creates an environment of back-stabers. Many managers are not knowledgeable of the area in which they manage.

Advice to Management

Establish a culture that embraces diversity where everyone has a fair shot at exposure and promotions.

RSS Feed </> Embed