Vanguard Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Ethical, Friendly, Takes Care of Employees

Former Employee - College to Corporate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are incredible, everyone is willing to help you learn here. I came in as an intern and found no shortage of people willing to help me find ways to help the team, contribute, and ultimately be successful. If you put in the effort and enjoy a place where it's easy to network and try out positions you might not have the training for this is a great place to work. My boss consistently went to bat for me when needed and was always interested in finding ways to help me move up, I was even lucky enough to set up meetings with people 2 and 3 levels above my boss and they were no different. CEO Bill McNabb is even in the cafeteria enough days, showing how down-to-earth the C-suite staff are. Their training and education programs are top-notch and easy to access. Work/life balance is a huge priority and I found most weeks I wouldn't even receive any emails between Friday at 5pm and Monday morning!

Cons

Pay is better at other places, but if the friendly, networking-based culture is something you like, there's not many better places to work.

Great company

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, benefits, management, training.

Cons

Pay is low, little room to grow your career.

Listen to employee opinions from all job levels and age ranges.

15 years down the drain

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO policy is decent for starting out, plus you can deduct from your weekly pay in order to add time. 401k matching investment plan is good

Cons

After 15 years of doing everything that was ever asked of me (quite well at that - I regularly received awards from management and coworkers), I was nitpicked and harassed to the point that I took advantage of the early retirement. The abuse was so bad that on several occasions I needed medical attention for anxiety. (My supervisor KNEW that I was suffering PTSD from a car accident).
    Vanguard might be an ok place for someone starting out, but if you're and older person who's been there for years, you will be driven out in favor of younger (cheaper) new hires. They get around their no layoff policy by treating people like dirt to make them quit.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at VG more than 5-6 years. After that, take your skills where you'll be appreciated.
    When I received my 'retirement' gift in the mail, I sent it back to them.That's how disgusted I am with them, but I'm sure they really don't care. They didn't while I worked for them.

Stop giving kids just out of college management positions! One of my managers admitted that it was her first real job. How could anyone think this is a good idea? Inexperienced, immature, pulling the same kind of games that don't belong in junior high school, let alone a professional corporation

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UI Developer

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

A lot of technical and leadership training available. Gives you access to multiple functional roles outside of just being a developer.

Cons

Just like any well established company, growth may be hard to come by at VG. However, they try their best to elevate ppl. But there is only so much you can do when you have so many employees but only a select few leadership roles.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Mobility and Job opportunities for those who are motivated. Culture is extremely strong and supportive.

Cons

Decisions are made by committee. That gets frustrating at times. Some leaders care more about their own career than those that work for them.

Trust your employees. They are the experts.

Technical Analyst

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company. Benefits are very good. Most managers are concerned about the people working for them and try to give a good work life balance

Cons

Salary package is not competitive as compared to other companies
    But considering the benefits and other incentives the over all package is not bad at all.

Promotions are very difficult. Many youngsters in IT department have left the company because they got better offers in different companies. Vanguard needs to reward the hard working people and appreciate them.

Client Relationship Associate

Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, easy work, and good starter job.

Cons

Low pay, boring work, call center environment, tied to your desk and every minute is tracked .

If you are career driven this is not your place

Current Employee - Processing Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

As much as I dislike working for vanguard there are some positives.. This is such a slow paces conservative company that it would be nearly impossible to get fired from most of the positions that you would get hired from externally. The benefits are not bad but I've had better at my two companies prior to VG. Vanguard is also a profit sharing company and partnership time is a lot of fun and normally you get a decent sized bonus/partnership.. I can't think a whole lot more

Cons

Any non-exempt position you're only scheduled 27.5 hours a week... why is this bad? First it is simply a direct pay cut.. They sell it as "oh we care about your life at home", nonsense. Which means when overtime is available to work(which is only year end and tax season) the company saves themselves loads of money by not having to pay overtime till you hit that 40 hours. My salary is lacking an additional 4 or 5K because of this.. Management is really hit and miss. Some of them are good and some are horrendous. They don't hire externally which means people will get switched in divisions with in VG and will get promoted without any experience in a division. The biggest issue for me is career growth. Once you hit a certain labor grade they will start expecting you to horizontally move instead of climbing the ladder. Horizontal movement is a direct contradictive to our company's strengths.

Great benefits.....not for long term career.

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO and Retirement Plan is great.

Cons

Seem to manage anyone over 40 out the door. Not very diversed. Take a look at how many people are in management over the age of 40. They prefer inexperienced college grads. Very disappointing place to work in the long run. Not many races working in company. They also discriminate against overweight individuals. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The culture is not as good as it use to be.

Great company for the right fit

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company that doesn't lay people off. Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time. They provide a lot of resources if you know how to take advantage of them.

Cons

Job postings are very competitive and it can be tough to move up. You must learn to navigate the corporate culture very well. Benefits are great but salaries for loyal employees are downright insultingly low. It's also a very conservative work environment.

Reward your loyal and tenured employees with more competitive pay. Stop putting so much weight into interviews and do more research on job candidates. Make yourself more available to the employees that follow you

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!