Vanguard

Vanguard Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb

William McNabb

Pros:
  • "They also strive to give you a work/life balance and are very liberal"
    in 98 reviews
  • "There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path"
    in 55 reviews
Cons:
  • "site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to start a career

Communication Associate (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat people, benefits, starting pay (while lower than other companies) is still better than other industries. You take inbound calls without having to worry about sales goals or product pushing.

ConsExternal hiring brings in candidates that are paid more but don't do a great job once they are here. If you are not in PA you are limited on job growth opportunities.

Vanguard

ProsThey have great benefits and a great work environment.

ConsBecause the benefits are so good this causes the pay to be on the low side.

Great learning experience

Brokerage Investment Professional (Former Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsThey helped me study and pass the series 7 and then I succeeded in getting promoted during a very busy time for the company. Met many great people, including Mr. McNabb, who told me to call him Bill.

Conslots of red tape and policies to follow

Advice to Senior Managementkeep listening to all your employees and the company will be great.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with excellent training.

Brokerage Associate (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsSchedule flexibility, paid training, licensing opportunities, oustanding reputation in the industry.

ConsVery corporate. Huge emphasis on diversity rather than the most qualified. Low pay for the job requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrickle down pay to the employees and dont worry about lowering expense ratios when we are already 75% lower than the competition.

Great place to work!

Client Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsBenefits, Work-life balance, and challenging work.

ConsSlow to make various decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing great!

Pros-Great place to work for

Cons-No cons I can think of

Advice to Senior Management-Great company to be employed by.

Overall a good company to start a career.

ProsVery flexible
    Nice campus
    Good job security

ConsSalary
    Lock-step advancement
    The most talented people tend to leave for more money
    A lot of useless meetings
    Tons of talk on how to improve things but no real action

Great company, poor management style

Client Relationship Associate (Former Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsCompany focuses on diversity, finally! It has wonderful perks from PTO to partnership and 401k company-made contributions.

ConsVery limited personal growth opportunities due to micro-management, unless you are sucking up 24/7. The focus is more on 1 mistake made which trumps the thousands of times you've excelled or performed well in the position. They say they don't "lay people off" but in sectors of the business that they ultimately downsize, they make it a performance-related issue. This is why management is usually not qualified for their roles, unless they "network" well enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give your associates more respect! Also, don't act like you care about each crew member, it's obvious that you don't.

Client Relationship Specialist

Client Relationship Specialist (Former Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsThere are many nice perks and benefits from working at the Malvern campus including a great cafeteria, auto maintenance, discounts to area businesses etc as well as an insulated very nice campus.

ConsI don't believe that there was a full and complete disclosure regarding the licensing requirement. Yes they did mention upfront that it was conditional for employment but they also downplayed the intensity, difficulty and finality of it. In the interview process they stated it was no big deal and that most of the people "scored in the 90's" for the series 7 exam. In reality a great number of people struggled to barely pass. The reality was that the majority of the preparation was home study, the licensing formal prep once you got there was completely ineffective. My advice: Score what you need to score (high 80's/low 90's) before you set foot on the campus for your first day of work via the Kaplan study material or immediately start looking for another job. They will fire you if you do not pass no matter if you moved across the country, don't have another job lined up or any other immediate prospects whatsoever. If that happens your U4 is also "dirtied" and you will have no other real chance in financial services.

No doubt that perhaps it wasn't the career for me (for all those who will say I hold ultimate responsibility). I don't disagree but I think Vanguard has a responsibility to do pre-aptitude screening and testing to check for the probability as to whether someone would be successful in this field and be able to pass the mandatory licensing. Merrill Lynch for one does that even before selling someone on a career there. I believe it is Vanguard's ethical responsibility to have full transparency before people make major life changes for nothing more really than a possibility.

While I was there I also saw whole departments (processing for one) have to secure the Series 63 license before losing their jobs. In my training class there were people who had worked with the company for over 20 years and who were now forced to pass the licensing in 3 tries or they would be let go. The company was not willing to move them elsewhere. It was obvious that they needed more personalized attention to focus on their weaknesses in order to pass. It was also clear that they were in danger of losing the benefits of years of service.

I liked the idea of Vanguard as a whole but found many inconsistencies within from the image I had always admired from the outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare statistics on pass/fail rates for the series 7 and 63 exams in the recruiting process and be completely transparent about exactly what is involved. The licensing class was a joke. Let your candidates make an informed decision and let them know they need to make the mark before the first day. Give them that information upfront via HR analysis before hire instead of putting people through 6 weeks of underlying panic. It was a beyond a stressful process. There were BOTH those who were successful and those who were not who were going to therapists for calming medication, having anxiety attacks and perpetual loss of sleep during licensing. All that would be fine for willing participants who knew overall what to expect and the nature of the hurdle to be overcome. From what I could tell talking to people, there are around 5-10 people who fail and lose their positions out of every incoming class. Give online assessments up front to determine if someone is going to be successful before they accept the position and make major life changes. There is a reason that the series 7 is considered the hazing rite of passage for stockbrokers. Having a business background and being smart or from a top university has little to do with it. It is a barrier to entry and the complexity, intensity and severity need to better communicated especially to those coming from outside the financial services industry.

Great company to invest your money, not so good for employment

Line Manager (Former Employee)
    Malvern, PA

ProsStable Jobs, company never laid off anybody for the last 35 years..
    Good retirement benefits, great place to retire from
    Strong culture

ConsLack of opportunities to develop and grow
    People don't leave, so no upward momentum (strength becoming weakness)
    Company is too slow to change and adopt

Advice to Senior ManagementDo right sourcing...to be able to do it successfully, go out and hire right talent to do that.. Look for talent that were with Vanguard (understands Vanguard Culture), and also succeeded in the outside world (Knows how the outside world works), so they can marry these 2 for success..

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard Videos

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vanguard CEO William McNabb. All 638 reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees.