Vanguard

Updated November 20, 2014
3.3

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 50 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Start

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large Family like atmosphere
    Excellent benefits
    Great training and amount of resources put into the workforce

Cons

Upper mobility can be challenging because talent usually sticks and fights for the same positions
    Raises are not very large
    Can be almost too relaxed of an atmosphere for a company that works in the financial field

Continue to put the resources where it matters: the client experience and talent development

Friendly, supportive, collegial, but you seriously gotta drink the koolaid

Former Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get a free CFA/CFP/7/63/65, work life is awesome, 3.5 weeks vacation starting, everyone is really friendly and helpful, management does want the best for you and does try to open up opportunities

Cons

You're not moving up unless you're in a fast-track of Accelerated Development if you're right out of undergrad. Otherwise moving up will be hard because people like the work life balance and don't move much. Super slow to do anything. They do say they want you to progress, and they give you some tools, but there's not a lot of room to move up. Super koolaid index funds rule the world type culture

Just be upfront, it's a glorified overqualified call center. If you're looking for a chill job with good perks, knock yourself out. If you're really looking to dive in, you gotta be in philly at HQ or somewhere else.

Client Relationship Specialist

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy job, not very stressful or a great deal of pressure. Great team atmosphere and work environment. Met many friends through this company all coming from different backgrounds. great benefits and health

Cons

Lower than average pay for the industry/licenses required
    call center environment

good people.

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits. great vacation time off.

Cons

not great salary. Too much "culture"

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They train you well to have a large skill set and licenses. The culture is great and very friendly, relaxed, and they emphasize work-life balance. I'm proud to work here. I always thought I would just start my career here, but I've now thought about the possibility of staying here for my entire career. PTO is amazing and benefits too

Cons

The only reason I would leave is that I could probably get paid much more for doing a similar job somewhere else

Solid company that makes a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Vanguard is an industry leader in the investment management area. It is a highly ethical company, looking for the best interest of its shareholders. It offers good total compensation and benefits, on-site gym facilities, healthy menu options cafeterias, and strong community impact.

Cons

Vanguard has a very strong corporate culture that is collaborative. This might be difficult to navigate by those who want things done exactly their own way.

Good Benefits, Great company, Good Collaboration

Former Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and Partnership plan.

Cons

Low Salary, No work from home

They only hire college recruits. They need to start hiring experienced people or former employees.

Great Place to start a Career

Current Employee - Financial Administrator in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Administrator in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vanguard has a facade of different Career options for you to follow. Vanguard has great benefits and will pay for higher education. Vanguard has the best Paid time off I have ever encountered.

Cons

The pay is on the lower level for the industry. Very Corporate and Regimented. Career Progression does take a long time.

Great company, great ethics, great crew.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vanguard has been a great place to learn and grow as a professional in the financial services industry. I started in the call center and moved up through the ranks to manager. The company paid for licensing when I came on board and additional training and certifications as my job responsibilties required. I have become ASPPA certified thanks to Vanguard and continue to learn even at my level.

Compensation is fair, bonuses are truly performance based, and can be generouse for a high performing employee, and retirement plan benefits are generous.

Cons

Management places little value on "technical" abilities and does not aways recognize an individual's committment and contribution in that area.

Solid company, ideals, benefits, and team dynamic. Decent pay. The catch? It's a call center for most roles.

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vanguard's all about power to the people. It's evident in their business structure and their industry-low expense ratios. You don't walk away feeling like you've nickel and dimed a client.
    Typically you start off with 3+ weeks of PTO, with the option of buying an additional week's worth of PTO that you get reimbursed for at the end of the year if you haven't used it.
    Diverse demographic of people you work with, and they're all fun. Building and developing relationships with colleagues is probably the most rewarding aspect.
    You get Series 7 & 63 licensed, and are equipped with investment acumen that benefits you whether or not you decide to remain in the industry.
    Decent salary. No competitive commissions. Which could either be a pro or con depending on how you're wired. You're not hard-selling clients or cold-calling; all calls are inbound. You get a mid-year partnership bonus that's relatively substantial (based on your pay grade level, how long you've been with the company, and how the company's performed over the past year).

Cons

It's a call center. Prepare yourself for mind-numbing drudgery.
    Modest pay continues to remain modest pay. Which is either a pro or con depending on your objectives in life.
    Lack of transferrable skill sets unless you really know how to spin and embellish your role on your resume.

Allow your team to switch up their routine with other roles, projects and tasks. The monotony is crippling and is potentially the lead cause of attrition.

Vanguard Photos