Vanguard Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Ethical, Friendly, Takes Care of Employees

Former Employee - College to Corporate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are incredible, everyone is willing to help you learn here. I came in as an intern and found no shortage of people willing to help me find ways to help the team, contribute, and ultimately be successful. If you put in the effort and enjoy a place where it's easy to network and try out positions you might not have the training for this is a great place to work. My boss consistently went to bat for me when needed and was always interested in finding ways to help me move up, I was even lucky enough to set up meetings with people 2 and 3 levels above my boss and they were no different. CEO Bill McNabb is even in the cafeteria enough days, showing how down-to-earth the C-suite staff are. Their training and education programs are top-notch and easy to access. Work/life balance is a huge priority and I found most weeks I wouldn't even receive any emails between Friday at 5pm and Monday morning!

Cons

Pay is better at other places, but if the friendly, networking-based culture is something you like, there's not many better places to work.

UI Developer

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

A lot of technical and leadership training available. Gives you access to multiple functional roles outside of just being a developer.

Cons

Just like any well established company, growth may be hard to come by at VG. However, they try their best to elevate ppl. But there is only so much you can do when you have so many employees but only a select few leadership roles.

Great Company , AWESOME Pay

Former Employee - Communication Associate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Communication Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved working for Vanguard... They company is awesome and advancement was easy

Cons

It was difficult for me to pass my series exams at first.

Keep up the great work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vanguard

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

They have great benefits and a great work environment.

Cons

Because the benefits are so good this causes the pay to be on the low side.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, Work-life balance, and challenging work.

Cons

Slow to make various decisions.

You are doing great!

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

-Great place to work for

Cons

-No cons I can think of

-Great company to be employed by.

I love the CORPORATE ENVIRONMENT. Promotes a great balance of work and personal life.

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vanguard has such a positive attitude all around. Our clients are our "bosses" because they own the company. Anyone who invests at Vanguard is an owner of the company. It makes customer service take top priority. As a company Vanguard invests a lot into educating its employees, promoting personal health and well-being, and provides a very positive working environment…all with the goal of taken the best care of our customers. When I began working there I was amazed at how supportive everyone was around you. We were all out to do our best and help everyone else do their best…and the bottom line is providing the best customer service and products for out clients while keeping costs down for them. We have some very busy times and we are asked to work over time to help with the over load. Vanguard does its best to be supportive and accommodating to personal situations. I love the fact that they really care about employee health and do a lot to promote that (with various programs, fitness facilities, and other opportunities.) They have a great benefits package and are generous with there PTO days (Paid Personal Time Off for vacation, personal, or sick days.) The first year you get 18 days to start and have to ability to purchase 5 extra days (which is deducted from your paycheck. If you don't use those 5 days by the end of the year you get the money returned to you.) Vanguard also makes a great effort to give back to the community with many volunteer programs. All employees get a "Volunteer Time Off" day to spend doing community volunteer work and still get paid (similar to a vacation day.) The Leadership takes the time and effort to listen to employee feedback and really care what we think. I am so proud to for for such a great company.

Cons

There are times when the work load is heavy, but that is the nature of the business. That's when it gets its toughest. The pay is decent, but similar jobs in the industry do pay more. Vanguard's goal to keep costs down for the clients flows over to the lower pay scale. What helps to make up for it, though is that is is such a great place to work. A very positive work environment and very supporting.

Since I am so happy with Vanguard it would be hard to give them advice. If I could change anything it would be to make some tech improvements to help our do our jobs better and more efficiently.

great

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

It is a great place to work

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

none.

Marketing professional

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great people, good work life balance & strong client focus

Cons

Change in Health care structure in the last couple of years & pay in comparison to industry averages

Client Services Associate

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vanguard has excellent benefits. They include medical coverage, profit sharing, retirement that they pay for you, 401k, excellent vacation benefits. I didn't like their sick leave policy. The training was 3 months long when I started there and that was so beneficial because one knew how to answer certain questions that shareholders would ask. They also had ongoing training for consistently changing software.

Cons

The salary wasn't up to standards for all one had to do. It was very difficult to advance. A lot of times I felt that management were too robotic in that everyone talked like everything was always wonderful.

You really should listen to members of your team more to see how everything was doing.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!