Vanguard

Vanguard Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb

William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Non inspiring mediocre growth.

Software Developer (Former Employee) Valley Forge, PA

ProsPeople are great. Company reputation as a stable safe place to work is amazing. Very close to Philadelphia.

ConsSlow to no innovation. Not really a place if you want personal and skills growth. Pay is average or low in comparison to other financial firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to change the community, listen to your employees and not outside sources.

Job description does a poor job depicting actual job

Client Relationship Specialist (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGood benefits. You can say they have the best mutual funds with confidence

ConsThey don't truly care for their crew members. On Saturdays, they don't turn on AC in the Arizona office. That is just insane. Plus on Saturdays they turn on the light three hours after work starts. I guess at-cost also means, poor working conditions. Also, you can try all you want, your management team will tell you "those positions are in PA only", "honestly, it will take you at least 5 years to get there", or "those positions rarely open up so just apply for something thats kind of similiar". Very discouraging.
    And work/life balance?????????? Working 11:30-8pm is not work/life balance. How am I supposed to have a life in the morning or super late at night. Do not be deceived by their 37.5 hour work week. They will give you a horrible shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should tell your applicants that "your license is used about 5% of your calls. just get used to generating temporary passwords, changing addresses, and filling out change of ownership forms".

difficult onboarding, old technology

UI Development (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsThey have a very slow and steady approach to things, which would probably be really good for someone late in their career who just wants to go home at 5. (The office empties out at around 5:30 most days.) They also appear to be flexible with things like time off, working from home one day of the week, or letting people stay late some days to leave early on others. Stress level is also pretty low, and the culture is friendly.

It's a nice area to live in - about an hour from the city (and on a train line), with two cute, walkable, low-cost suburbs to either side, one of which is a college town. I don't understand why so many of the full-time people have long commutes. (The included intern housing was 40 minutes away, but it was possible to take the train.) I'd definitely consider working for a different company in that area.

As an intern, compensation is good - when I worked there, rent was included during the two months of the official internship program, even though the pay was enough to cover cost of living even without that.

ConsThe culture is very businessy - they like people to be conventional. There's a lot of different people who need to approve things before you can do anything, and dependencies on legacy software, so the technology moves slowly.

They're slow at training new people and giving them real work to do (I heard full time entry-level people has the same experience), so the first couple months can be boring. Even after learning how to use everything, the pace is slow, and you can still end up just waiting for the day to end. This means that if you want to learn anything technology-wise during your internship, this isn't the best place to do it.

Based on their presentation about full-time compensation, it's not very competitive for junior developers, even after factoring in a very good 401k plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm pretty sure you're using the internship program as an extended job interview. Better planning in advance to make sure the interns have something somewhat challenging to do would keep them from getting bored and give you a better idea of their skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful, low pay

Client Relations Associate (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat benefits package.
    Get paid to study for licensing exams.

ConsCall center environment.
    Tough to get days off between January and April.
    Very low pay compared to other companies with similar roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what their worth!

Great Company , AWESOME Pay

Communication Associate (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsI loved working for Vanguard... They company is awesome and advancement was easy

ConsIt was difficult for me to pass my series exams at first.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Vanguard

Problem Resolution Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsPto..benefits..fitness center. Academic reimbursement. First shift hours only

ConsLimited flexibility and call center related jobs. Some team leader s micro manage.

Best to place to work in IT

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsGreat work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

ConsLow pay and not many promotions

Fund Financial Associate

Fund Financial Associate (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsCorporate Culture, Work-Life Balance and a Positivie Learning Environment

ConsPay - You could be getting paid a lot more for your skills

Stable & strong

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to start a career in the finance industry

ConsNot one to air dirty laundry.

Telecommunications Engineer

Information Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsGreat work life balance pending your manager.

ConsSome middle management slow things down or disrupt work flows due to lack of knowledge or their own ego.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompetitive pay and benefits . Health care costs going up to fast.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!