Vanguard Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 113 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 49 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great, if you are 22 and part of leadership = otherwise, be ready for disappointment

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus, good benefits, security of set hours and location to report to

Cons

Office culture, not having the tools you need (training, etc.) necessary to perform your role successfully, punitive leadership, not promoting

Teach your crew what is needed to succeed

Communications Associate

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Communication with management and senior management is readily accessible. The company values of being an at cost provider echoes through and through making Vanguard investments cost efficient.

Cons

When compared to other companies in the investment industry, Vanguard has a low median salary. This is already known and Vanguard has a reputation for having low salaries.

Need better compensation. If you wish to promote the best company to work for, you need to provide above average compensation. Not middle of the pack below average pay.

A different class

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You are in an elite class. There are a lot of people who have been there over ten years. Vanguard has community involvement. If you think outside of the box and go the extra mile, you can go far.

Cons

There is favoritism.

Stop with the favoritism it is obvious.

Back Office Team Lead

Former Employee - Back Office B2B Team Leader in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Back Office B2B Team Leader in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great ethical company and a very low risk environment. Easy to move laterally, which is highly encouraged, giving you great experience in different areas of the business. The benefits are excellent all around. When visiting the doctor's office, I was often told that my insurance was amazing. Time-off is ample and easy to take with little restriction (everything is PTO, no "sick days"). Overall my experience was great but I was seeking something more exciting.

Cons

Making any kind of procedural change is painfully slow. If you aren't willing to keep pushing hard, you won't get anything accomplished. Pay was mediocre which drove away some talented people. Though the upper management open door policy made it easy to interact with all levels, it also contributed to a lot of office politics.

The decision making process is painfully slow, limiting the impact of those who really want to make a difference.

Very positive

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I felt they had a very positive experience working with Vanguard. It's a great firm with excellent leadership and and a very mixture of work/life balance and support for continuing your education and networking within the company.

Cons

I felt the salary was far too low and the opportunities to move up in the firm were too slow. You are not given much room for creative thought or feel much ownership in improving the efficacy of the company outside of your specific role.

Consider ways to retain your young workers with better salary packages and ways to increase worker satisfaction by making the work flows more dynamic to incentive them to stay with the firm.

It's pretty good

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people. It's a company that values integrity and putting client first.

Cons

As it grows, there's a lot of red tape to cut through which can slow innovation.

Sometimes the attitude and "vanguard-speak" makes me feel like I'm at a high school pep rally.

Great culture and a company on a mission for its clients

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great company culture. They really care about your success and want you to develop the skills critical to success over time. Great benefits too.

Cons

The pay is not as great as other industry competitors.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Great environment. Vanguard supports it's employees when personal needs arise. Good benefits. Bonuses.(performance based, so salaries are lower than similar companies). Like everyone I work with - great group of people. They offer a lot of training opportunities.

Cons

Metrics on calls are unreasonable if you want to give excellent customer service. I won't rush anyone, I make they thoroughly understand everything we discuss. This can take awhile, especially with inexperienced investors. I know my customers appreciate it, but it does hurt my opportunities since my call times are a little longer. I also believe in helping other less experienced crew members, which adds to my call handle time as we'll. Difficult to advance...fewer jobs up the pyramid and lots of competition.

Metrics should not be as important as quality customer service.

Ethical, Friendly, Takes Care of Employees

Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are incredible, everyone is willing to help you learn here. I came in as an intern and found no shortage of people willing to help me find ways to help the team, contribute, and ultimately be successful. If you put in the effort and enjoy a place where it's easy to network and try out positions you might not have the training for this is a great place to work. My boss consistently went to bat for me when needed and was always interested in finding ways to help me move up, I was even lucky enough to set up meetings with people 2 and 3 levels above my boss and they were no different. CEO Bill McNabb is even in the cafeteria enough days, showing how down-to-earth the C-suite staff are. Their training and education programs are top-notch and easy to access. Work/life balance is a huge priority and I found most weeks I wouldn't even receive any emails between Friday at 5pm and Monday morning!

Cons

Pay is better at other places, but if the friendly, networking-based culture is something you like, there's not many better places to work.

UI Developer

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Good work life balance. Not a lot of long hours.

Cons

Takes to long to use the latest technology. Technology is somewhat dated.

Vanguard Photos