Vanguard Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 111 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 48 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Works but limited salary growth

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Decent benefits package, decent team environment

Cons

Drink the Cool-Aid, Salary does not change even with promotions. limited growth after mid level management

Start paying your employees reasonable salaries.

Perfect for someone young trying to gain experience in the financial industry.

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

They pay for licensing and further education. The job is very easy once you get the hang of things. You learn a lot very quickly.

Cons

Low pay. There's a manager for every 8 people so you're constantly being watched and micromanaged. If you're on the phones, you have to deal like being treated like customer service instead of an advisor. Vanguard keeps a very tight leash on what you can and cannot say, so all of your conversations are basically the same. It gets very monotonous. Promotions are very political so if you want to get ahead don't expect your performance to speak for itself - you must make friends with management and play the game.

If you would invest more in the salaries of your client-facing reps and give them a little more freedom you wouldn't need to pay the inflated salaries of so many managers to make sure that no one is making mistakes

Vanguard

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Very easy work once you pass the series 7. 401k is great

Cons

the pay is very low and the annual increase is not a lot.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want a career in finance, STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to be if you don't know what you're doing. Vanguard has this pathological disgust with their own industry. Because of this Vanguard regularly advances people with little industry knowledge and no desire to deepen their knowledge. This truly is the place to be if you are not ambitious and know you are not the archetype for success. Pay is below industry average, the W-2 benefits are the same as anywhere else in the industry, the non W-2 benefits are non-existent: bad coffee unless you pay for it, Christmas party is a pot luck you provide and it's on your own time, no parties, no trips, they'll provide lunch on days where they cut your lunch in half but it's never good and it will have been sitting out for hours depending on your shift. Hell, they once awarded me 2 movie tickets but they were MATINEE ONLY!!!!! Most employees think they have it good, but that's only because they've never worked anywhere else. If you're still interested, know this: You will be expected to drink the Kool-Aid. The only people who last and advance are those who buy into the propaganda without question. Bogle is a genius who is responsible for the work other people won Nobel Prizes for, Vanguard is generous, Vanguard doesn't treat their clients with disdain, etc.

Cons

The main problem with working here is that it makes it incredibly hard to find a job elsewhere. Vanguard employees have a reputation for being incompetent, unintelligent, and overly emotional (I've gotten this from frank discussions with friends and connections I've talked to on Linkedin, many of whom are in charge of hiring). To be honest, this reputation is mostly deserved. Managers especially have no chance of finding a job elsewhere, but those who stay less than 2 years have a chance of staying in the industry, but it's a seriously uphill battle.

Create a new metric for performance measurement that gives weight to qualitative measures. Many of your "stars" have great call times, but they give clients the run around, will often refuse to help clients with simple requests because of the effect it will have on their call times, and regularly refuse to do their due diligence and follow up on client issues because they know how few calls you listen to and they know they won't be punished for these sorts of things when caught. Stricter standards for who you place in management positions is needed as well. Most team leaders are far less competent than the average B and C level under them… that's a serious problem.

Stress-free culture, absurdly large amount of PTO, average pay

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great benefits, great 401k/PSP plan, work is easy, flexibility for exempt employees is great

Cons

Promotion opps limited, decision-making from "senior leaders" is highly questionable, very average pay

Ethical, Friendly, Takes Care of Employees

Former Employee - College to Corporate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are incredible, everyone is willing to help you learn here. I came in as an intern and found no shortage of people willing to help me find ways to help the team, contribute, and ultimately be successful. If you put in the effort and enjoy a place where it's easy to network and try out positions you might not have the training for this is a great place to work. My boss consistently went to bat for me when needed and was always interested in finding ways to help me move up, I was even lucky enough to set up meetings with people 2 and 3 levels above my boss and they were no different. CEO Bill McNabb is even in the cafeteria enough days, showing how down-to-earth the C-suite staff are. Their training and education programs are top-notch and easy to access. Work/life balance is a huge priority and I found most weeks I wouldn't even receive any emails between Friday at 5pm and Monday morning!

Cons

Pay is better at other places, but if the friendly, networking-based culture is something you like, there's not many better places to work.

15 years down the drain

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO policy is decent for starting out, plus you can deduct from your weekly pay in order to add time. 401k matching investment plan is good

Cons

After 15 years of doing everything that was ever asked of me (quite well at that - I regularly received awards from management and coworkers), I was nitpicked and harassed to the point that I took advantage of the early retirement. The abuse was so bad that on several occasions I needed medical attention for anxiety. (My supervisor KNEW that I was suffering PTSD from a car accident).
    Vanguard might be an ok place for someone starting out, but if you're and older person who's been there for years, you will be driven out in favor of younger (cheaper) new hires. They get around their no layoff policy by treating people like dirt to make them quit.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at VG more than 5-6 years. After that, take your skills where you'll be appreciated.
    When I received my 'retirement' gift in the mail, I sent it back to them.That's how disgusted I am with them, but I'm sure they really don't care. They didn't while I worked for them.

Stop giving kids just out of college management positions! One of my managers admitted that it was her first real job. How could anyone think this is a good idea? Inexperienced, immature, pulling the same kind of games that don't belong in junior high school, let alone a professional corporation

Great company

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, benefits, management, training.

Cons

Pay is low, little room to grow your career.

Listen to employee opinions from all job levels and age ranges.

UI Developer

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

A lot of technical and leadership training available. Gives you access to multiple functional roles outside of just being a developer.

Cons

Just like any well established company, growth may be hard to come by at VG. However, they try their best to elevate ppl. But there is only so much you can do when you have so many employees but only a select few leadership roles.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Mobility and Job opportunities for those who are motivated. Culture is extremely strong and supportive.

Cons

Decisions are made by committee. That gets frustrating at times. Some leaders care more about their own career than those that work for them.

Trust your employees. They are the experts.

Vanguard Photos

Headquarters
Charlotte Campus
Scottsdale Campus
Headquarters

+ Add Photo

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!