Vanguard

Vanguard Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb

William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture, awesome start career, just not for me

Client Relationship Administrator (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThis company has a great culture, is very encouraging, welcoming, and inclusive. They make sure you have all the training and support that you need and are very supportive of building your career and getting you promotion opportunities after you've gained some experience.

I felt really comfortable with my team and management and really everyone I came in contact with, and felt very confident in my job role and all the added responsibilities that I gained over my year there. Also, their retirement plan is one of the best I've seen, very generous.

ConsThe only challenge I had was with the actual day-to-day job in itself. I learned in my time there that a call center environment is just not for me and on top of that, I needed more of a creative outlet and not to sit in a cubicle on the phone all day. This was a great place to start a career, but what it came down to is that I ended up realizing that I had zero passion in investments and retirement accounts so I had to move on to something more creative. Really the only cons are the call center environment and the fact that they are a huge, corporate company so it can feel a tad stuffy from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI felt that management was more or less on the ball when it came to training and leading their staff. They were very understanding when I decided to pursue another career path.

Great Place to work. People are engaging and friendly - very smart.

Project Administrator (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsGreat benefits, room for growth for someone coming in at an entry level. Continuing education opportunities are encouraged. It is a multi-generational and multi-cultural working environment. HR is a force there. Team oriented work environment.

ConsTechnology improvements are very slow to materialize. Most technology dollars are used for what the client sees - slow to improve internal systems. Many departments use there own technically skilled staff to build workaround solutions to solve processing issues locally - the risk here is the know how may leave when that staff member moves on to another position.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply more technology dollars to internal systems. Offer technology budgets at a departmental level.

Vanguard

ProsThey have great benefits and a great work environment.

ConsBecause the benefits are so good this causes the pay to be on the low side.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Brokerage Investment Professional (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsThey helped me study and pass the series 7 and then I succeeded in getting promoted during a very busy time for the company. Met many great people, including Mr. McNabb, who told me to call him Bill.

Conslots of red tape and policies to follow

Advice to Senior Managementkeep listening to all your employees and the company will be great.

It was ok, i've had much better experiences in my professional career.

Client Relations Associate (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsIt was a paycheck, young professional atmosphere.

ConsLow pay for industry, very conservative, answering 80 calls a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more ambitious with your own careers

Stressful, low pay

Client Relations Associate (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat benefits package.
    Get paid to study for licensing exams.

ConsCall center environment.
    Tough to get days off between January and April.
    Very low pay compared to other companies with similar roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what their worth!

Job description does a poor job depicting actual job

Client Relationship Specialist (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGood benefits. You can say they have the best mutual funds with confidence

ConsThey don't truly care for their crew members. On Saturdays, they don't turn on AC in the Arizona office. That is just insane. Plus on Saturdays they turn on the light three hours after work starts. I guess at-cost also means, poor working conditions. Also, you can try all you want, your management team will tell you "those positions are in PA only", "honestly, it will take you at least 5 years to get there", or "those positions rarely open up so just apply for something thats kind of similiar". Very discouraging.
    And work/life balance?????????? Working 11:30-8pm is not work/life balance. How am I supposed to have a life in the morning or super late at night. Do not be deceived by their 37.5 hour work week. They will give you a horrible shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should tell your applicants that "your license is used about 5% of your calls. just get used to generating temporary passwords, changing addresses, and filling out change of ownership forms".

difficult onboarding, old technology

UI Development (Former Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsThey have a very slow and steady approach to things, which would probably be really good for someone late in their career who just wants to go home at 5. (The office empties out at around 5:30 most days.) They also appear to be flexible with things like time off, working from home one day of the week, or letting people stay late some days to leave early on others. Stress level is also pretty low, and the culture is friendly.

It's a nice area to live in - about an hour from the city (and on a train line), with two cute, walkable, low-cost suburbs to either side, one of which is a college town. I don't understand why so many of the full-time people have long commutes. (The included intern housing was 40 minutes away, but it was possible to take the train.) I'd definitely consider working for a different company in that area.

As an intern, compensation is good - when I worked there, rent was included during the two months of the official internship program, even though the pay was enough to cover cost of living even without that.

ConsThe culture is very businessy - they like people to be conventional. There's a lot of different people who need to approve things before you can do anything, and dependencies on legacy software, so the technology moves slowly.

They're slow at training new people and giving them real work to do (I heard full time entry-level people has the same experience), so the first couple months can be boring. Even after learning how to use everything, the pace is slow, and you can still end up just waiting for the day to end. This means that if you want to learn anything technology-wise during your internship, this isn't the best place to do it.

Based on their presentation about full-time compensation, it's not very competitive for junior developers, even after factoring in a very good 401k plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm pretty sure you're using the internship program as an extended job interview. Better planning in advance to make sure the interns have something somewhat challenging to do would keep them from getting bored and give you a better idea of their skills.

Think again! There are better opportunities.

Brokerage Associate (Former Employee) Paoli, PA

ProsThey truly care about the client. It was a great place to learn about the investment industry and about investing in general.

ConsAdvancement was not going to happen unless you were under 30 years old, a kiss-up, or from the outside. The pay was just enough to get by. Merit increases where not possible unless you were at least a supervisor. Everybody else received a paltry .50% to 3% increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to revamp everything surrounding your HR team. I would suggest you fire everyone and start over. Maybe then you could recognize contributors from kiss-ups.

Great learning experience

ProsGood work/life balance, Retirement plan, and excellent vacation benefits. The company has a solid training program, and offers incentives to pursue educational endeavors such as an MBA and other graduate programs.

ConsBase salary is weak, and opportunities to negotiate base salary are limited, or non-existent for most employees.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!