Vanguard Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company for the right fit

Current Employee - Investment Analyst  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company that doesn't lay people off. Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time. They provide a lot of resources if you know how to take advantage of them.

Cons

Job postings are very competitive and it can be tough to move up. You must learn to navigate the corporate culture very well. Benefits are great but salaries for loyal employees are downright insultingly low. It's also a very conservative work environment.

Reward your loyal and tenured employees with more competitive pay. Stop putting so much weight into interviews and do more research on job candidates. Make yourself more available to the employees that follow you

Not much of a career here

Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people work here for the PTO.
    Nice 401k matching plan
    They have nice gyms
    Its not a bad ho-hum job. (no long hours, while salaries are below average) Raises are around 1% or 2% at best. Everybody gets about the same yearly meager raises.

Cons

If your on the phones they are constantly micro-managing your day. It gets pretty stressful. Most of lower management is made up of "Yes men/women." Very few Team Leaders think for themselves.

Management is overly concerned about winning best place to work awards. Beware of the short one sentence reviews on here.

Networking is a joke. Upper management controls everything. Promotions consist of going to other phone jobs at the same salary.

The company's goal is to lower the companywide expenses from .14% to .10% and that money has to come from somewhere. On a percent basis that's more then a 40% decrease. I'm afraid its only going to tougher on the average crew member. Including myself.

They give you a ton of PTO but its almost impossible to take days off around the major holiday's. In three years, I have not gotten a day off around Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's.

Stop trying to squeeze everything out of your employees. Value your people. Its not all about costs.

Great company - for the investor

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vanguard has extremely great values and company culture. Their at-cost investing is a formula for success. The work-life balance is exceptional and from year 1, you are afforded 18 days of paid time off which is pro-rated going forward. Benefits are phenomenal as well. Vanguard is a great place to start your career especially if you're a fresh college grad. They teach you so much about the industry and even pay for your Series 7 and 63. Vanguard even has CFA and CFP programs.

Cons

As a direct result of low cost investing, compensation is low. Compared to competitors in the industry, employees are paid slightly below the average. There is a lot of lateral movement within the company. It takes time to move up and even after you move up, your salary is not much greater than what you were making in your previous position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company culture, goof benfits, so-so pay, older employess struggle to gain new positions

Current Employee - CSS Representative  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - CSS Representative in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and work / life balance.

Cons

Employess hired externally struggle once in the company to advance into management positions. Previous experience is rarely taken into account. Low raises.

Look at outside management experience crew can bring to the table.

Solid benefits, secure job, low pay

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are solid. PTO policy is pretty generous. They have a good deal with their Retirement and Savings Program, too. They do a dollar for dollar 401k matching contribution, up to the first 4% of your pay, which is 100% vested. They also do quarterly contributions of 10% of your eligible earnings, which are fully vested after 6 years working there. It's pretty difficult to get fired--you have to screw up pretty badly. And they've never had layoffs in their history, so there's definitely good job security. My experience with management has all been pretty positive. Some of the higher ups (like 3 levels above me) don't listen well to the average peons, but that's pretty typical. My direct supervisors have all been pretty good though.

Cons

Opportunities are limited, at least at the Charlotte office. They're turning it into a call center. If you work at the Charlotte office, you will either be on the phones, or managing or supporting people on the phones. Across Vanguard, pay isn't competitive at all compared with other companies in the industry. And I've heard that external hires into the same role that I'm in started off with higher pay than me, despite my being more valuable to them by knowing Vanguard's internal systems and procedures.

Vanguard

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pto..benefits..fitness center. Academic reimbursement. First shift hours only

Cons

Limited flexibility and call center related jobs. Some team leader s micro manage.

Fund Financial Associate

Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate Culture, Work-Life Balance and a Positivie Learning Environment

Cons

Pay - You could be getting paid a lot more for your skills

Best to place to work in IT

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

Cons

Low pay and not many promotions

Solid company with an emphasis on quality and personal growth.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team leaders are all great and the amount of training they are willing to give is outstanding. They do take time to get to know you and help with your career.

Cons

The only thing I would complain about is the ridiculous amount of political correctness like the diversity training. I assume all corporations are like that however. The pay could be a little higher but the job security is excellent.

Stable & strong

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

Good place to start a career in the finance industry

Cons

Not one to air dirty laundry.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!