Vanguard Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 115 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 50 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Promotions are very rare after the first one

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are great, and work life balance is a lot better than it used to be.

Cons

It's very frustrating to get good reviews year after year, and never get a promotion or even more than a few percentage points in a raise. The promotion policy changes so often that it is hard to hit a moving target.

You used to reward employment longevity, now it seems that you want us all to leave so you can hire cheaper less experience workers. Don't worry so much about being top heavy, instead look at all that gets accomplished by senior technical crew.

Once you know what you want to do, possibilities are endless

Current Employee - Web Content Administrator in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Web Content Administrator in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A certain amount of autonomy is provided as long as you stay focused on getting the expected tasks completed. Overall, friendly environment, excellent work-life balance, and plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. Leadership is hit or miss, as with any company.

Cons

YOU have to be in control. If you do not demand your goals, you will be left in the dust. Also, VERY conservative culture. You will struggle if you do not tow the line.

Use the tools that you have and make ratings more transparent. Reviews and personal ratings, salaries can be private, but be honest with promotions, bonuses, etc. Making everyone be open and responsible for showing their progress takes a lot of work off the managers to actually manage instead of spending so much time in January, June and November providing ratings and feedback.

Great Experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, positive people. A company I can be proud to say I work at.

Cons

Despite outside experience you often have to start at an entry level position.

College to Corporate Internship

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

They gave training in the beginning stages of the internship. After which you were to complete tasks that were given throughout the internship. The work depends on the department you are placed in. You can be placed into a Java developer role or a Database role which are very competitive in itself. Great company which instill great values and ethics in your work life.

Cons

Not much con. Great experience would not change a thing,

The right atmosphere and values for me...

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We hear all the time about Vanguard's unique ownership structure and how that leads to low cost...Having worked for a couple of the competitors before joining Vanguard, I can't imagine going back to the traditional publicly-traded "profit at all costs" mentality. Not that Vanguard's perfect, but the stakes are too high for me to consider giving my energy and my days to a company pretending to help clients achieve financial success while working them over for every cent they can get. It may not be the right place for everyone, but in this industry, it's the only place that I feel lines up with my own values and perspective. In addition, the benefits are excellent, and I've found it to be a rewarding place to work.

Cons

Occasional "red-tape" -related frustrations that accompany working for such a large company...Some people in management are ineffective leaders, though that's true of every corporation.

Perception is more important than reality.

Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Health benefits and bonus (used to be very good but are dwindling). Office complex is very nice; landscaped, free parking. Work-from-home 2 days a week.

Cons

Apparent ageism/sexism. Hiring only straight from college, or a few good contractors. Young up & comers, sorority sisters are being pushed up the ladder and experienced workers are being pushed out (some dirty tricks). Moving to off-shoring some IT work. Limited career path unless you want to move to PA, or are a white guy at least 6'6" tall. Business-casual dress code physically but virtually a white-shirt-and-tie mentality. Proud of their diverse workforce; keep most of it in AZ and NC, dress them all up in white shirts & ties and pretend there are no differences. Perception is everything regardless of the reality. Management easily snowed by brown-nosers. Company standard is 37.5 hour week; IT was put on mandatory 40 hours BILLABLE time a week; if you weren't averaging at least 45 hours a week you were not "bonusable". Development methodology - and middle-management - changes every couple of years, so everyone just keeps doing the same old thing with different jargon. Some serious gaps in methodology - no proper documentation of products. IT complains of not having the material & equipment to do their jobs effectively.

Get real. Value your people. Return to the values of Mr. Bogle. Quit drinking the kool-aid.

Good place to start out, but not to stay long term

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Generous vacation, interesting software to work on

Cons

Very uptight culture, lots of heads up activities

Let you people be good at what they are good at.

Great, if you are 22 and part of leadership = otherwise, be ready for disappointment

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus, good benefits, security of set hours and location to report to

Cons

Office culture, not having the tools you need (training, etc.) necessary to perform your role successfully, punitive leadership, not promoting

Teach your crew what is needed to succeed

Internal Audit

I worked at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Partnership - Annual bonus distributed company-wide based upon tenure, level and company performance
    Opportunities to grow within the firm
    Training

Cons

Culture is wonky
    Headquarters is in the middle of no man's land
    Diversity in Senior Leadership is lacking

Communications Associate

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Communication with management and senior management is readily accessible. The company values of being an at cost provider echoes through and through making Vanguard investments cost efficient.

Cons

When compared to other companies in the investment industry, Vanguard has a low median salary. This is already known and Vanguard has a reputation for having low salaries.

Need better compensation. If you wish to promote the best company to work for, you need to provide above average compensation. Not middle of the pack below average pay.

Vanguard Photos