Vanguard Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Stress-free culture, absurdly large amount of PTO, average pay

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great benefits, great 401k/PSP plan, work is easy, flexibility for exempt employees is great

Cons

Promotion opps limited, decision-making from "senior leaders" is highly questionable, very average pay

If you want a career in finance, STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to be if you don't know what you're doing. Vanguard has this pathological disgust with their own industry. Because of this Vanguard regularly advances people with little industry knowledge and no desire to deepen their knowledge. This truly is the place to be if you are not ambitious and know you are not the archetype for success. Pay is below industry average, the W-2 benefits are the same as anywhere else in the industry, the non W-2 benefits are non-existent: bad coffee unless you pay for it, Christmas party is a pot luck you provide and it's on your own time, no parties, no trips, they'll provide lunch on days where they cut your lunch in half but it's never good and it will have been sitting out for hours depending on your shift. Hell, they once awarded me 2 movie tickets but they were MATINEE ONLY!!!!! Most employees think they have it good, but that's only because they've never worked anywhere else. If you're still interested, know this: You will be expected to drink the Kool-Aid. The only people who last and advance are those who buy into the propaganda without question. Bogle is a genius who is responsible for the work other people won Nobel Prizes for, Vanguard is generous, Vanguard doesn't treat their clients with disdain, etc.

Cons

The main problem with working here is that it makes it incredibly hard to find a job elsewhere. Vanguard employees have a reputation for being incompetent, unintelligent, and overly emotional (I've gotten this from frank discussions with friends and connections I've talked to on Linkedin, many of whom are in charge of hiring). To be honest, this reputation is mostly deserved. Managers especially have no chance of finding a job elsewhere, but those who stay less than 2 years have a chance of staying in the industry, but it's a seriously uphill battle.

Create a new metric for performance measurement that gives weight to qualitative measures. Many of your "stars" have great call times, but they give clients the run around, will often refuse to help clients with simple requests because of the effect it will have on their call times, and regularly refuse to do their due diligence and follow up on client issues because they know how few calls you listen to and they know they won't be punished for these sorts of things when caught. Stricter standards for who you place in management positions is needed as well. Most team leaders are far less competent than the average B and C level under them… that's a serious problem.

Comfortable, but stifling.

Current Employee - Rich Media Designer  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Rich Media Designer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent job security
    Some folks are very talented
    Nice perks and bonuses
    Genuine love for the clients

Cons

Extremely slow moving
    Massive amounts of red tape
    Conservative to a fault
    Terrible IT support for designers
    Poorly-staffed IS department limits the available tools
    Management can be horrendous
    Their no layoff policy means you will work with people that are horrible at their jobs

In my current position as a designer, I have 4 non-billable jobs (jobs related to improving your team or department) for every 1 real job. With initiatives for Best Place To Work, BHAGs, VUE, personal plans, and team activities and projects, I spend 80% of my time working on things that are not design. Some people enjoy it, but I wanted the job so I could use my degree.

Listen to your crew
    Stop approaching conversations with handbooks on corporate speak and "crucial conversations" and just talk with us.
    Get rid of the people that are bad at what they do.
    Completely rethink your IT and IS infrastructure, because they're beyond repair.
    Educate or fire all the tech support reps who refuse to learn Mac support because they don't like the platform. This makes designers' work infinitely more frustrating and wastes a ton of time and money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits.....not for long term career.

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO and Retirement Plan is great.

Cons

Seem to manage anyone over 40 out the door. Not very diversed. Take a look at how many people are in management over the age of 40. They prefer inexperienced college grads. Very disappointing place to work in the long run. Not many races working in company. They also discriminate against overweight individuals. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The culture is not as good as it use to be.

Not much of a career here

Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people work here for the PTO.
    Nice 401k matching plan
    They have nice gyms
    Its not a bad ho-hum job. (no long hours, while salaries are below average) Raises are around 1% or 2% at best. Everybody gets about the same yearly meager raises.

Cons

If your on the phones they are constantly micro-managing your day. It gets pretty stressful. Most of lower management is made up of "Yes men/women." Very few Team Leaders think for themselves.

Management is overly concerned about winning best place to work awards. Beware of the short one sentence reviews on here.

Networking is a joke. Upper management controls everything. Promotions consist of going to other phone jobs at the same salary.

The company's goal is to lower the companywide expenses from .14% to .10% and that money has to come from somewhere. On a percent basis that's more then a 40% decrease. I'm afraid its only going to tougher on the average crew member. Including myself.

They give you a ton of PTO but its almost impossible to take days off around the major holiday's. In three years, I have not gotten a day off around Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's.

Stop trying to squeeze everything out of your employees. Value your people. Its not all about costs.

Good company, below to average compensation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Valley Forge, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley Forge, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vanguard provides many different work opportunities and great training. I was able to develop many skills in numerous positions. Phenomenal product and focus on the client. Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Low pay and too much focus on cost cutting and doing more with less. The company is an industry leader but continues to alienate employees unnecessarily. Promotions are often given to those who excessively network rather than to the highest performers.

Stop cutting costs and share the wealth with the employees. Reward those most deserving rather than those who network the best.

15 years down the drain

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO policy is decent for starting out, plus you can deduct from your weekly pay in order to add time. 401k matching investment plan is good

Cons

After 15 years of doing everything that was ever asked of me (quite well at that - I regularly received awards from management and coworkers), I was nitpicked and harassed to the point that I took advantage of the early retirement. The abuse was so bad that on several occasions I needed medical attention for anxiety. (My supervisor KNEW that I was suffering PTSD from a car accident).
    Vanguard might be an ok place for someone starting out, but if you're and older person who's been there for years, you will be driven out in favor of younger (cheaper) new hires. They get around their no layoff policy by treating people like dirt to make them quit.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at VG more than 5-6 years. After that, take your skills where you'll be appreciated.
    When I received my 'retirement' gift in the mail, I sent it back to them.That's how disgusted I am with them, but I'm sure they really don't care. They didn't while I worked for them.

Stop giving kids just out of college management positions! One of my managers admitted that it was her first real job. How could anyone think this is a good idea? Inexperienced, immature, pulling the same kind of games that don't belong in junior high school, let alone a professional corporation

UI Developer

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

A lot of technical and leadership training available. Gives you access to multiple functional roles outside of just being a developer.

Cons

Just like any well established company, growth may be hard to come by at VG. However, they try their best to elevate ppl. But there is only so much you can do when you have so many employees but only a select few leadership roles.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Mobility and Job opportunities for those who are motivated. Culture is extremely strong and supportive.

Cons

Decisions are made by committee. That gets frustrating at times. Some leaders care more about their own career than those that work for them.

Trust your employees. They are the experts.

Technical Analyst

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company. Benefits are very good. Most managers are concerned about the people working for them and try to give a good work life balance

Cons

Salary package is not competitive as compared to other companies
    But considering the benefits and other incentives the over all package is not bad at all.

Promotions are very difficult. Many youngsters in IT department have left the company because they got better offers in different companies. Vanguard needs to reward the hard working people and appreciate them.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!