Vanguard Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Copywriter

I worked at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Great company that takes care of its employees. My experience was overwhelmingly positive.

Cons

The starting pay wasn't great, but if you put your time in, this company takes care of you and opens doors for your career.

2. Just say no

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vanguard provides a lot of vacation time. There are onsite amenities that make it convenient like dry cleaning and onsite clinic in Pennsylvania. Some managers are very flexible with schedules and some are totally rigid so its the luck of the draw.

Cons

If I could rate this at 0 stars I would.

Despite all of the accolades, this is a company that does not value diversity. Not just in the areas of race or culture. Older, more tenured employees are routinely "managed out" to make room for younger, less experienced, darn near right out of high school cheap labor. The organization does not realize that the cost of training these kids is far higher than giving its tenured workforce a better salary.

Salary by they way is a joke. There are some reviewers that feel the total compensation package makes up for the low salary. But for the drama that one has to endure just doesn't seem to make up for it in my opinion. You are not rewarded for your work; you are rewarded by having the most "friends." The better you play the game, the better you can advance.

Buck the system once and all hope is gone for you. If your name ever shows up on Crew Relations' radar you are blacklisted. You will never advance. If you do, its just to keep you from suing. Your life will be made miserable and you will still be managed out at some point.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately nothing written here will make any difference to management. Although the CEO is a decent person, he is insulated by his staff and he doesn't really know what truly goes on in the trenches.

3. Anonymous

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great culture and ability to move

Cons

Pay, far from city, but not too far

Good place to start a career. Bad place to advance.

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Great place to start a career in finance. (Will learn a lot)
    • Good benefits. (401k, PTO)
    • Great place if you just want to come to work and take phone calls. (Ambition is not necessarily encouraged/rewarded)
    • Lots of vacation time. PTO + market holidays

Cons

• Very difficult to advance and "get off the phones." There has been a lot of hiring for entry level positions, which has created a lot of demand for the higher "letters."
    • If you are able to get a "promotion" you're limited to a 10% raise. Non-negotiable! The only time you might be able to negotiate your salary is when first being hired. This is VERY important, because your starting salary will dictate your potential increases moving forward.
    • When accepting a promotion, be careful of the start date. They may "delay" your start date for a couple months so that your bonus the following year is significantly less.
    • Vanguard is getting VERY big and a lot of the fun that smaller departments used to have seems to be going away.

Advice to Management

Attempting to increase crew engagement while "bending the cost curve" is a challenging task. Just a couple years ago there was a solicitation from crew about what they wanted in a break room. A lot of those things were implemented. However, about a year later this break rooms were converted to training rooms. That was very disengaging. I encourage management to not lose sight of some of the things that have made Vanguard a great company. Reducing costs makes sense (to a certain extent), but at what costs?

Good and bad

Former Employee - Project Administrator in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Total compensation after many years was worth it.
    -Benefits are great, including PTO , etc.
    -Ability to move around the company and experience different departments.
    -If you have a good manager they will take you with them. Recognized the good ones!
    -Flexible work schedules
    -Diverse workforce... Except at upper management/executive level.
    -That's about it. 15 years and that's all I've got.

Cons

-While ability to move around exists... Ability to move up does not. Unless you "know" someone. After multiple distinguished ratings I couldn't seem to get to the next level no matter what I did.
    -Favoritism is rampant. As with all large companies, it is who you know and where they are, not necessarily what you do.
    -The "graduate programs" are a joke to the long term loyal employees that have put in decades of work to this company. Let's bring in a college graduate, let them rotate departments for a year and a half, and then land in a position equal to mine, at higher pay than I had after 15 years working my way up. Better yet, how about an MBA graduate... Let's let them rotate for a year, wine and dine them, give them a signing bonus, and then have them land a level above me with much higher pay... After you used me and my 15 years of loyalty to train them. Vanguard, your talent is within... Look for it, recognize it, and use it instead of bringing in fresh blood who will use the experience, your name, and the "stepping stone" and leave in 2 years! If you are a new graduate this is a great place to start! They love their graduate programs... You will be spoiled, highly regarded and rise to the top in a heartbeat! Do it!
    -If you are 6+ years tenure, and stagnant at a bonus level (D and above) , they will find a way to force you out. It costs more to keep you than to hire a new graduate. If you are late in your career this is not the place for you.
    -They encourage independent thinking... But not really. If you have your own thoughts and new ideas this is not the place for you.
    -I could go on but I am adhering to the rules not to rant. My hope is to give inside information to both new prospects and existing employees. It truly was a great place to start. I didn't think I'd be there as long as I was. And because I was, I saw how poorly they treated the long term employees. The benefits and pay (total compensation accounted for) are fantastic.
    -My advice... Get your start here you recent grads... Use the name and reputation to further your career and then get out before they hook you in and eventually force you out.

Advice to Management

-See above regarding the graduate programs. You may get great people... But you demoralize your long term loyal employees. Time to weigh the benefits.
    -Analyze your management team more than your front line folks. Front line can only do so well under poor management.
    -Keep the total comp programs going. They work!!! Kept me there for may years.
    -Look more closely at your existing high performers. These are the loyal employees that will make you a #1 Employer. Not your new grads, your contractors or the outsourced from India for IT projects that I've recently learned about. You have the talent within your 15000 employees... Stop looking outside of that!

Political land mine filled with hypocrisy and favoritism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None that really stand out

Cons

It is the most political and hypocritical environment and the longer you stay there the worse it gets, because once you hit 40 they will do everything to get rid of you under the pretext that you are not doing your job.

Advice to Management

It would be futile to give any advice to management because they do not listen to anyone who disagrees with them

8. Not bad

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great culture, supportive work environment

Cons

Pay understandably lower by industry standards due to company structure

Okay for a first job

Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

*Relaxed culture
    *Easy to get hired
    *Lateral opportunities to move around

Cons

*Low pay
    *Extremely rigid
    *Many of the large departments are terrible
    *Poor mid-level management

Advice to Management

*Higher base pay
    *Reevaluate who immediate supervisors are and why
    *Take more suggestions from front-line crew
    *Numbers (processing rates and phone talk time are not end-alls be-alls)

Vanguard is not for everyone.

I worked at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Tuition reimbursement is helpful, good benefits, and client focus.

Cons

Management creates an environment of back-stabers. Many managers are not knowledgeable of the area in which they manage.

Advice to Management

Establish a culture that embraces diversity where everyone has a fair shot at exposure and promotions.

Good and Bad

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Partnership is good but not what it used to be

Cons

Health benefits are def not what they used to be. Limited opportunity for people who started at the bottom, favoritism is given to people in the specialty programs, minorities, and women. If your a white male who started on the phone, I've been here many years with an MBA and have no prospects to ever be management. There's a culture of feedback which is a constant telling on people for the most ridiculous things. Def a passive aggressive culture. Most employees barely work a full shift and no one seems to care. Pay is horrendous compared to the industry peers

Advice to Management

Cut the fat, stop discriminating against white males, raise the pay, been here many years and my salary is below $60 still at a supervisor level.

RSS Feed </> Embed