Vanguard Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

No reason to work here longer than 2 years.

Former Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get your licensing, learn the basics, go somewhere where they will pay you and you will have a future. Vanguard is a abyss of mediocrity and middle management cubicle jockeys.

Cons

Vanguard is a better place to invest then work. There is 0 motivation or incentive to do a good job. Everyone gets paid the same and if you are breathing everyone gets the same bonus. The odd thing is some people still try and do good job and they get passed over by the fratty bro who attends the most happy hours at Four Peaks. Look around the parking garage - do you really want to aim big and be able to afford a '99 Civic or just 3 roommates when you are a 30 yr old D Level??

Fire 80% of management and then let Fidelity buy you out.

Very dissatisfied

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Medical benefits, great people to work with, clean buildings, gym on site.

Cons

I was told if I can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

People over 40 still can add value to the company.

Met great people

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Onboard experience is great.
    People you work with are great.
    Wonderful benefits.
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Managers care more about metrics rather than the quality of service you provide.

Moving up depends a lot on your average "handle time" (how long it takes for issues/requests during and after phone call). Little consideration is taken for the quality and effort put into each phone call. A person with great handle time but poor call quality will move up over someone w/ great call quality and not as great handle time. This is surprising as Vanguard promotes their integrity and "one call resolution".

Training is completely ineffective. You are constantly fixing mistakes, which can lead to embarrassing situation and higher handle time, which makes it near impossible sometimes to get the average handle time down.

Compensation for the type of work put in is a joke.

The information about the job during the interview is very misleading as to what you actually do.

Be more concerned w/ the quality and substance of a phone call. More recognition for tenured associates who have to fix mistakes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't let managers fool you, it's a call center

Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will get a lot of PTO, however you won't be able to use to around any holidays. Vanguard is great firm to invest with and they do have a great focus on their culture. You only have to work 37.5 hours here so I feel like I'm working for the government. If you want to come in each day and work 7.5 hours and leave and don't feel motivated, this is the place for you.

Cons

First off, it's a call center. Don't let any manager fool you by saying that youre an investment adviser. The advice we give to clients if flat-out cookie cutter. I don't even think you could classify it as advice. Our "financial plans" are all computer generated with the same exact funds for each client. While you may "manage a book of business" for high-net-worth clients, your real job is to just solve their problems and answer calls. You will have to make "proactive outcalls" in which 90% of the time clients say "why are you calling me?"
    Taking PTO at Vanguard is horrendous. While they give you a ton, don't expect to spend any time with your family over the holidays. You'll work even though nobody calls in and if a client does call in, even they will say "why are you working today?"
    While there is room to move up in the Charlotte office, the only place to move up is in the retail investor group which means you'll still be taking calls all day everyday. Move up to PA and there will be many more opportunities.
    Compensation is low compared to similar jobs in the industry but understandably so as at Vanguard they only have you working 37.5 hours.

Great company to invest your money, not so good for employment

Former Employee - Line Manager  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Line Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable Jobs, company never laid off anybody for the last 35 years..
    Good retirement benefits, great place to retire from
    Strong culture

Cons

Lack of opportunities to develop and grow
    People don't leave, so no upward momentum (strength becoming weakness)
    Company is too slow to change and adopt

Do right sourcing...to be able to do it successfully, go out and hire right talent to do that.. Look for talent that were with Vanguard (understands Vanguard Culture), and also succeeded in the outside world (Knows how the outside world works), so they can marry these 2 for success..

All smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, good reputation in industry

Cons

If your not fresh out of college or young, don't expect to advance. Poor work life balance. Pride themselves on not laying off, they just give you 90 days to find another job or drop you in another dept. do not value tenured crew. Poor pay in relation to competitors. No opportunity to work on projects for exposure. Only if your the dept pet.

Have a uniformed company work life balance program versus by dept. Hire internally based on skill set and not based on who you know. Pay more. Offer equal opportunities to all employees.

Used to be amazing.....

Former Employee - CRA  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - CRA in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits still best in the biz/ a monkey w/a disability could do 95% of the jobs..very stress free

Cons

Vastly under-utilized associates answering inbound phone calls about '401k loans' for one of the most meager salaries in the industry...

Most are useless and micromanage too much to cover own hide

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

-Great place to work for

Cons

-No cons I can think of

-Great company to be employed by.

Great place to start a career I hear... Unless you're a contractor.

Current Employee - Adjustments Associate  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Adjustments Associate in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Vanguard as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I worked as a processing associate through Randstad for a little under a year here and my time was quite enjoyable. Sure the work was a bit dull, but the people and culture at Vanguard made that seem alright.

Cons

There is definitely a stark difference in the way "actual crew" and contractors get treated. You really get the picture that you are the bottom of the barrel and basically only there to complete your job and then leave. I don't know if this is Randstad's doing and Vanguard plays along, but when I started they all wore rose colored glasses saying how our contract was basically a six month long interview and that there will be some that get hired full time afterward. TAKE ALL TALK LIKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. After my contract was up you knew no one was getting hired and that the Vanguard supervisors knew this from the very beginning. It was just a ploy to make you excited and work harder.

Although everyone was nice and professional, you can really tell that you guys are like that because you have to. Like you're being forced to work with us peasants and that if it were up to you, you would rather be with people who are just as qualified as we are; only difference being that they full time crew.

Vanguard Review

Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance. Very encouraging crew members. Pretty much everyone elves the office at around six
    o'clock and weekends are optional.

Cons

Vanguard has a high turnover rate

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!