Vanguard Reviews in Scottsdale, AZ

Updated September 12, 2014
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

129 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's pretty good

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very nice people. It's a company that values integrity and putting client first.

Cons

As it grows, there's a lot of red tape to cut through which can slow innovation.

Sometimes the attitude and "vanguard-speak" makes me feel like I'm at a high school pep rally.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Great environment. Vanguard supports it's employees when personal needs arise. Good benefits. Bonuses.(performance based, so salaries are lower than similar companies). Like everyone I work with - great group of people. They offer a lot of training opportunities.

Cons

Metrics on calls are unreasonable if you want to give excellent customer service. I won't rush anyone, I make they thoroughly understand everything we discuss. This can take awhile, especially with inexperienced investors. I know my customers appreciate it, but it does hurt my opportunities since my call times are a little longer. I also believe in helping other less experienced crew members, which adds to my call handle time as we'll. Difficult to advance...fewer jobs up the pyramid and lots of competition.

Metrics should not be as important as quality customer service.

Very positive

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

I felt they had a very positive experience working with Vanguard. It's a great firm with excellent leadership and and a very mixture of work/life balance and support for continuing your education and networking within the company.

Cons

I felt the salary was far too low and the opportunities to move up in the firm were too slow. You are not given much room for creative thought or feel much ownership in improving the efficacy of the company outside of your specific role.

Consider ways to retain your young workers with better salary packages and ways to increase worker satisfaction by making the work flows more dynamic to incentive them to stay with the firm.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want a career in finance, STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to be if you don't know what you're doing. Vanguard has this pathological disgust with their own industry. Because of this Vanguard regularly advances people with little industry knowledge and no desire to deepen their knowledge. This truly is the place to be if you are not ambitious and know you are not the archetype for success. Pay is below industry average, the W-2 benefits are the same as anywhere else in the industry, the non W-2 benefits are non-existent: bad coffee unless you pay for it, Christmas party is a pot luck you provide and it's on your own time, no parties, no trips, they'll provide lunch on days where they cut your lunch in half but it's never good and it will have been sitting out for hours depending on your shift. Hell, they once awarded me 2 movie tickets but they were MATINEE ONLY!!!!! Most employees think they have it good, but that's only because they've never worked anywhere else. If you're still interested, know this: You will be expected to drink the Kool-Aid. The only people who last and advance are those who buy into the propaganda without question. Bogle is a genius who is responsible for the work other people won Nobel Prizes for, Vanguard is generous, Vanguard doesn't treat their clients with disdain, etc.

Cons

The main problem with working here is that it makes it incredibly hard to find a job elsewhere. Vanguard employees have a reputation for being incompetent, unintelligent, and overly emotional (I've gotten this from frank discussions with friends and connections I've talked to on Linkedin, many of whom are in charge of hiring). To be honest, this reputation is mostly deserved. Managers especially have no chance of finding a job elsewhere, but those who stay less than 2 years have a chance of staying in the industry, but it's a seriously uphill battle.

Create a new metric for performance measurement that gives weight to qualitative measures. Many of your "stars" have great call times, but they give clients the run around, will often refuse to help clients with simple requests because of the effect it will have on their call times, and regularly refuse to do their due diligence and follow up on client issues because they know how few calls you listen to and they know they won't be punished for these sorts of things when caught. Stricter standards for who you place in management positions is needed as well. Most team leaders are far less competent than the average B and C level under them… that's a serious problem.

Do you want to feel like a cog in the call-center machine?

Current Employee - Assigned Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Assigned Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company...to invest. Just don't take their advice or investment "education". Chances are the rep you're speaking with is probably a recent college grad with little to know investment knowledge and is just reading off a script provided to them by Vanguard.

Cons

Call-center environment, micro-managers, required to participate in "voluntary" United Way activities, given movie tickets and candy bars as recognition, bonuses barely keep up with inflation, more tenured and knowledgeable employees being pushed out, replaced with just-out-of-college new hires that can be trained to think the Vanguard way, not very much diversity in the workforce, career opportunities plateau at a certain point, not much career mobility, salaries are a good 20% below industry, they try and say benefits make up for that...but they don't.

Stop creating a culture where only whitewashed and sanitized personalities have opportunities. Diversity is a real thing. Accept it.

Client Relationship Associate

Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, easy work, and good starter job.

Cons

Low pay, boring work, call center environment, tied to your desk and every minute is tracked .

If you are career driven this is not your place

Current Employee - Processing Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

As much as I dislike working for vanguard there are some positives.. This is such a slow paces conservative company that it would be nearly impossible to get fired from most of the positions that you would get hired from externally. The benefits are not bad but I've had better at my two companies prior to VG. Vanguard is also a profit sharing company and partnership time is a lot of fun and normally you get a decent sized bonus/partnership.. I can't think a whole lot more

Cons

Any non-exempt position you're only scheduled 27.5 hours a week... why is this bad? First it is simply a direct pay cut.. They sell it as "oh we care about your life at home", nonsense. Which means when overtime is available to work(which is only year end and tax season) the company saves themselves loads of money by not having to pay overtime till you hit that 40 hours. My salary is lacking an additional 4 or 5K because of this.. Management is really hit and miss. Some of them are good and some are horrendous. They don't hire externally which means people will get switched in divisions with in VG and will get promoted without any experience in a division. The biggest issue for me is career growth. Once you hit a certain labor grade they will start expecting you to horizontally move instead of climbing the ladder. Horizontal movement is a direct contradictive to our company's strengths.

Great company - for the investor

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vanguard has extremely great values and company culture. Their at-cost investing is a formula for success. The work-life balance is exceptional and from year 1, you are afforded 18 days of paid time off which is pro-rated going forward. Benefits are phenomenal as well. Vanguard is a great place to start your career especially if you're a fresh college grad. They teach you so much about the industry and even pay for your Series 7 and 63. Vanguard even has CFA and CFP programs.

Cons

As a direct result of low cost investing, compensation is low. Compared to competitors in the industry, employees are paid slightly below the average. There is a lot of lateral movement within the company. It takes time to move up and even after you move up, your salary is not much greater than what you were making in your previous position.

Job description does a poor job depicting actual job

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Good benefits. You can say they have the best mutual funds with confidence

Cons

They don't truly care for their crew members. On Saturdays, they don't turn on AC in the Arizona office. That is just insane. Plus on Saturdays they turn on the light three hours after work starts. I guess at-cost also means, poor working conditions. Also, you can try all you want, your management team will tell you "those positions are in PA only", "honestly, it will take you at least 5 years to get there", or "those positions rarely open up so just apply for something thats kind of similiar". Very discouraging.
    And work/life balance?????????? Working 11:30-8pm is not work/life balance. How am I supposed to have a life in the morning or super late at night. Do not be deceived by their 37.5 hour work week. They will give you a horrible shift.

You should tell your applicants that "your license is used about 5% of your calls. just get used to generating temporary passwords, changing addresses, and filling out change of ownership forms".

Solid company with an emphasis on quality and personal growth.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team leaders are all great and the amount of training they are willing to give is outstanding. They do take time to get to know you and help with your career.

Cons

The only thing I would complain about is the ridiculous amount of political correctness like the diversity training. I assume all corporations are like that however. The pay could be a little higher but the job security is excellent.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!