Vanguard

Updated November 20, 2014
3.3

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 50 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

138 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Great Start

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large Family like atmosphere
    Excellent benefits
    Great training and amount of resources put into the workforce

Cons

Upper mobility can be challenging because talent usually sticks and fights for the same positions
    Raises are not very large
    Can be almost too relaxed of an atmosphere for a company that works in the financial field

Continue to put the resources where it matters: the client experience and talent development

Friendly, supportive, collegial, but you seriously gotta drink the koolaid

Former Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get a free CFA/CFP/7/63/65, work life is awesome, 3.5 weeks vacation starting, everyone is really friendly and helpful, management does want the best for you and does try to open up opportunities

Cons

You're not moving up unless you're in a fast-track of Accelerated Development if you're right out of undergrad. Otherwise moving up will be hard because people like the work life balance and don't move much. Super slow to do anything. They do say they want you to progress, and they give you some tools, but there's not a lot of room to move up. Super koolaid index funds rule the world type culture

Just be upfront, it's a glorified overqualified call center. If you're looking for a chill job with good perks, knock yourself out. If you're really looking to dive in, you gotta be in philly at HQ or somewhere else.

good people.

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits. great vacation time off.

Cons

not great salary. Too much "culture"

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They train you well to have a large skill set and licenses. The culture is great and very friendly, relaxed, and they emphasize work-life balance. I'm proud to work here. I always thought I would just start my career here, but I've now thought about the possibility of staying here for my entire career. PTO is amazing and benefits too

Cons

The only reason I would leave is that I could probably get paid much more for doing a similar job somewhere else

Good place to work, little chance for advancement unless located in PA.

Former Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good culture, friendly co-workers. Great brand-name work experience in financial services. Company offers ample opportunities for professional development in the form of a CFA program, CFP program, and other opportunities. Benefits and paid time off are great.

Cons

Below average pay for the industry. Limited career advancement opportunities, unless you are in the PA office. The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles. They are working on bringing some fund related roles to AZ, but for now the only advancement opportunity is to move into a supervisor role, or move to PA.

There are many talented people in offices other than PA. You should provide more substantial opportunities to other sites, and take advantage of these individuals and their abilities.

Great, if you are 22 and part of leadership = otherwise, be ready for disappointment

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus, good benefits, security of set hours and location to report to

Cons

Office culture, not having the tools you need (training, etc.) necessary to perform your role successfully, punitive leadership, not promoting

Teach your crew what is needed to succeed

Back Office Team Lead

Former Employee - Back Office B2B Team Leader in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Back Office B2B Team Leader in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great ethical company and a very low risk environment. Easy to move laterally, which is highly encouraged, giving you great experience in different areas of the business. The benefits are excellent all around. When visiting the doctor's office, I was often told that my insurance was amazing. Time-off is ample and easy to take with little restriction (everything is PTO, no "sick days"). Overall my experience was great but I was seeking something more exciting.

Cons

Making any kind of procedural change is painfully slow. If you aren't willing to keep pushing hard, you won't get anything accomplished. Pay was mediocre which drove away some talented people. Though the upper management open door policy made it easy to interact with all levels, it also contributed to a lot of office politics.

The decision making process is painfully slow, limiting the impact of those who really want to make a difference.

Very positive

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I felt they had a very positive experience working with Vanguard. It's a great firm with excellent leadership and and a very mixture of work/life balance and support for continuing your education and networking within the company.

Cons

I felt the salary was far too low and the opportunities to move up in the firm were too slow. You are not given much room for creative thought or feel much ownership in improving the efficacy of the company outside of your specific role.

Consider ways to retain your young workers with better salary packages and ways to increase worker satisfaction by making the work flows more dynamic to incentive them to stay with the firm.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Great environment. Vanguard supports it's employees when personal needs arise. Good benefits. Bonuses.(performance based, so salaries are lower than similar companies). Like everyone I work with - great group of people. They offer a lot of training opportunities.

Cons

Metrics on calls are unreasonable if you want to give excellent customer service. I won't rush anyone, I make they thoroughly understand everything we discuss. This can take awhile, especially with inexperienced investors. I know my customers appreciate it, but it does hurt my opportunities since my call times are a little longer. I also believe in helping other less experienced crew members, which adds to my call handle time as we'll. Difficult to advance...fewer jobs up the pyramid and lots of competition.

Metrics should not be as important as quality customer service.

It's pretty good

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people. It's a company that values integrity and putting client first.

Cons

As it grows, there's a lot of red tape to cut through which can slow innovation.

Sometimes the attitude and "vanguard-speak" makes me feel like I'm at a high school pep rally.

Vanguard Photos