Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks
www.vanity.com Fargo, ND 1000 to 5000 Employees

Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Michael Feurer

Good company but disappointing salaries, etc.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are great! Job is flexible. Promotions are amazing. Awesome 40% employee discount.

ConsSalaries aren't great. You have a sales number goal that you have to achieve during your shift; too bad they don't do commissions. Sometimes, coworkers like to steal your customers!

This company has taken a turn for the worse.

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Fergus Falls, MN

ProsThe jeans are amazingly wonderful.

ConsThey do not care about their employee's. They treat them like they are just a mannequin in the store. Their pay is real bad for what they expect of you without showing any appreciation for how hard we work in the field, making their wages for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at what your employees do for you and how hard they work for you in the field, show them some respect and not like they are just there to open and close the store. Take a look at the people that have given so much of themselves to the company to only get slapped in the face.

Worst business decision I've made...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers are the only good thing about that store. They sometimes ran decent sales on clearance but since you're supposed to wear new product it was irrelevant to work.

ConsThere are no hours for anything, you spend your day on one person coverage which makes it hard to use the bathroom or grab anything from the backroom for the floor without leaving your store open to shrink. However the DM and RM still expect you to check emails on the back office computer and be available for conference calls when you are the only one running the store. Very little coaching from DM and RM, also a lack of support they are generally unreachable if you have questions and do not return phone calls or emails in a timely fashion and if you reach out to home office you get reprimanded because you didn't turn to them, even if you did try and they didn't respond. There is a lot of confusion between policies, nobody seems to be on the same page about what is and is not acceptable. Most of the sales goals are unrealistic for the traffic that comes in the store and they expect commission style selling without commission pay. The clothing is overpriced considering you can get a lot of the same products at their competitors' stores for about a 1/3 of the cost. I found a lot of clothing that I could have gotten cheaper even after my 40% employee discount was applied at other retailers. There is a lack of concern for their employees, my DM expected myself and the SSM to work everyday day for a whole month when our 2 leads quite without once offering to send in help from another store in the district making for poor work/home balance, especially considering we are both moms. There is no investment in developing associates just a high turn over rate. They also do not do performance reviews or give raises like every other company I've ever worked for. There is no secondary option concerning pto that you, depending on your stores circumstances may not be able to use, you just lose it when the time comes. They do not value associate time both my DM and RM on numerous occasions expected me to drop my family on my day off to come in and speak with them if they made an impromptu visit and times when I couldn't I was reprimanded for my "dedication to the business" Overall it this is one of the worst companies I've ever worked for and if you value yourself and peace of mind I wouldn't recommend working for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your associates as if they are disposable and they will start to believe it and employee morale goes out the window but if you show them they are valuable and an asset they will work hard to make your business flourish...

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsFlexible hours, okay pay, likable emloyees.

ConsNot a lot of room to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication

Worked as a sales lead in St. Louis, MO. Loved what I was doing, but had to resign because they needed new management.

Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsFriendly environment, high energy, great clothing, and great repeat business.

ConsStore management was terrible and never took responsibility for their mistakes. I was always going above and beyond for this company and helping cover for the manager that my sales started dropping. When this happened, instead of feeling appreciate for all the hard work I had done, the manager harrassed me about sales and not getting my tasks done. I would have been able to maintain high sales and finish all of my tasks on time, if I hadn't been covering for my manager and doing her job for her. This manager stole sales from other employees, crediting them as her own. Unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone needs to keep an eye on individual store management so that associates and leads can better focus on their jobs instead of covering for the managers and taking responsibility for their mistakes. Also, instead of letting someone go for not selling well, figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. Watched a lot of fellow co-workers either get fired or resign because the manager was always on them about selling instead of giving them the proper techniques needed to make a sale. A manager is suppose to advise, guide, and be there for their employees, not make them feel like they are uncared for, unappreciated, and don't know what they are doing.

Horrible company no training provided

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Johnson City, TN

Prosnone everything is done unethically

Consmost unethical place ever, and extremely rude upper management

Advice to Senior Managementtell every perspective employee that they will be fired if they dont sell 75 dollars per hour.

Fine experience for a part-time job

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Independence, MO

Pros40% employee discount is good, friendly relations with co-workers and management

ConsSales goals are required and highly enforced but no commission made, hours are easily cut if not enough customers in the store. Don't count your money before you work the hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed new equipment, cash registers outdated. Stop being so cheap with hours. Pay consultants more than minimum wage and keep them for their entire shift.

Long hours high expectations low pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a great discount on merchandise. It is 40 percent off original prices too bad its not off sale.

ConsYou are expected to work long hours and meet their high expectations and store goals that often ment working by yourself. There is no suppport from upper management and its really hard to run a store for 12 hours without another employee there and maintain a low shrink.

Advice to Senior Managementyou get what you pay for

Stay away from Vanity

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity to meet new people. Stepping stone company.

ConsHorrible company to work for. Lack of common sense in upper management. They can't keep it straight what they want from you. Visual floor sets are changed much too often. Send too much product before you can even sell what you have. Outdated technology. Unrealistic expectations of associates. They would rather break their store manager down and cause them to practically go insane than give more hours to other management members. They keep cutting hours to save money on payroll but make it hard to keep associates. Very unbalanced work/home life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Talk to your workers in stores and find out their needs. If you continue to treat people the way you currently are they will continue to quit quickly. Give us a reason to stay.

Great experience

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Grand Junction, CO

ProsGreat team environment, opportunity for advancement, Sales goals give you a challenge to overcome everyday, Overall it was a wonderful place to have worked

ConsOne coverage most of the time at the lower stores which makes it difficult to generate sales when more then one person is shopping, can't give them all the attention they deserve.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate a less threatening environment, I would read emails daily about firing my girls that weren't making their goals. fear is never a good motivator.

Worked for Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks CEO Michael Feurer. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks employees.