Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks Reviews

Mickey Quinn

1. Manager

Current Employee - Manager and District Manager in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Manager and District Manager in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Company great clothes Great people to work for

Cons

Crazy Hours retail theft was high

2. Management makes or breaks it!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sartell, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sartell, MN

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Of course, the discount. Decent benefits, decent pay (only if you fight for it and are hourly) - with a great management team, it's a fun, upbeat, busy place to work.. it's an AMAZING experience. The Grand Rapids, MN SSM will be there with you every step of the way. With high expectations comes high respect. She will never ask you to do something she wouldn't do. If you're a solid employee that shows up and gets stuff done, she will be flexible with you with whatever you need. She deserves a raise and a promotion! The DSM of this district is tough, blunt, and won't sugar coat things.. I'll take that because it bring success (for the most part) -- you truly learn to love her. Be a good employee, she'll fight for you.

Cons

Well.. like I mentioned before, it's the SSM that makes or breaks it. The SSM in St Cloud, MN and Duluth, MN --- poor choices for management but for completely different reasons. Duluth is just lazy and doesn't take pride in her store. All about the show with the DSM shows up (pop in visits now though!! :) ) She doesn't train her staff, most importantly, her management team the essentials to a functioning store. I am thankful I was there before she was. That store is a disaster. Customer service isn't up to par either --- but, low standards from the SSM... that's what you get from everyone else. St cloud.. well, it's frustrating the turn over rate. It's for a reason. Terminate a good part time associate for a 1 shift schedule conflict? Doesn't make sense to me. Terminate another good part time associate for asking for a week of for a vacation (would work maybe 3 shifts) --- again, doesn't make sense to me. What gets me... falsely tell your DSM that they were no call, no shows? Sure the store LOOKS ok, and the sales are there per the traffic.. so why dig any deeper? There are some serious management skill issues here. In my opinion, she's not the right fit for the store. In just over a year and a half... 90+ employees shouldn't have gone through the system. In a month... we shouldn't have to term 20+ employees. 6 of which were in 1 week. The attitude and cliques in this store just amaze me. I'm blunt and real with people, I'll challenge you on "company policies" that are written out. If you don't communicate with an employee, how are you going to expect them to know they are doing something in a displeasing way? Communication is key.

Advice to Management

Be understanding, these associates are young and have school and second jobs.. there WILL be schedule conflicts. You're honestly making it more difficult for yourself and for your staff... that's probably a key to your turn over rate. Keep a positive attitude and if you have negitive comments about an associate, talk to THEM about the issue and coach in the moment. You preach everything that the company wants, but you won't do it yourself. Have realistic, high... but realistic expectations and properly train your staff for success. You were thrown to the wolves, you hated it... why do it to your entire staff? Stay flexible. Stay HONEST. You have all the tools you need to be successful. To the DSM -- looks are deceiving and so are words. Take the time in your very busy schedule to truly DIG into the store at the underlying issues... talk to people OTHER than the SSM and ASM.. You see a trend... go with your gut. :)

Ok

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Watertown, NY
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Watertown, NY

I have been working at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great clothes and discount, good music, easy dress code, constant pay, good insurance benefits including vision and dental, ok

Cons

Work all the time, no days off, hard to staff, upper management is half way across the country when you need help

5. Great experience up until new store manager

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Midland, MI

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customer service experience Great people Have a lot of fun at work

Cons

Little hours in low demand stores Not as organized Seems like supervisors are the only ones that are needed.

Advice to Management

Work with your employees, try and work with their schedule the best you and your store can afford.

6. A Complete Nightmare

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Fargo, ND

Pros

Predictable income, steady hours, corporate experience- If you're trying to figure out what you don't want to do with your life, apply for a job at Vanity Corporate.

Cons

No training program, little compensation for what you do, unclear expectations- Working for Vanity Corporate was an absolute disaster from day one. As an assistant, you have little to no say in decision making, you're there to do the tasks that nobody else wants. There's no confidence and absolutely no training. They expect you to know exactly what they want from you, it's like they go out of their way to see you fail. It's clear that the higher ups think they're better than you and they'll form into their cliques just to prove it. The pay is also incredibly disrespectful for all of the work that you do. The company is miserable and I would go out of my way to highly recommend passing on any position there.

Average retail company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

quality product growing company strong cliental relationships possible networking possibilities

Cons

salary caps based on volume tier levels inconsistency with Standards and Operations Procedures High turn over limited room for advancement

Advice to Management

Easy to take advantage of tools available for success. This company provides you with a strong structure to excel if you're willing to work.

8. good environment

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Clarksville, TN

Pros

easy pace and work environment

Cons

the pay is very low

Advice to Management

pay us better!

Easiest retail job I've had.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back, not a lot of stock to take care of, maybe 1 box a day if that. Floor moves are just one day a month instead of constant updates compared to other stores I've worked at. Keeping your numbers up is definitely important so your sales skills need to be on point, but it's a sales job so that is to be expected.

Cons

Very few employees so it's not easy to get days off when an emergency occurs. A lot of the time you are working alone so on slow days it can drag on, even when you have things to do.

Advice to Management

Feedback is important. I would love to hear how I'm doing more often. Also, I would love to have the opportunity for a raise but I hear that is mostly unheard of in the company. Vbucks are nice, but real money is a much more widely accepted form of appreciation for hard workers.

10. I promise you will make more anywhere else.

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clothes and staff were great. I also did some traveling which was fun.

Cons

No matter how hard you pushed...it was never enough. Working 50 hour weeks...paid for 40. Constant change from upper management on procedures and expectations. No time for life outside of the store.

11. The worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Moscow, ID
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Moscow, ID

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is great at 40%-50% and it is very easy to get hired into "management" for resume experience.

Cons

ADSMs and DSMs are highly hypocritical and love to gossip and end up talking bad about you behind your back. Corporate constantly contradicts itself and you get bashed for following their directives by your DSM who thinks they know a better way to do it and then corporate reprimands you for not following company directive. Corporate is completely incompetent along with the district and regional managers and they love to give out busy work instead of focusing on the real issues at hand. Turnover is high and there is no work life balance. As a store manager, you will not get sick days, incentives when you succeed, or appreciation. I highly recommend never working for this company. You will lose a lot of happiness and waste your time being abused by upper management for no pay. After you leave, your boss will drag your name through the dirt, no matter how hard you worked or how much you accomplished.

Advice to Management

DSMs need to develop their employees in helpful ways, and stop giving them tasks to make themselves look smart. Create a positive atmosphere and stop living for gossip. You need to treat your employee with respect, not make up stories about them.

RSS Feed </> Embed