Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014

2.6

Michael Feurer

SUPER fun, but uneven payouts

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really fun environment to work in, great discounts, awesome customer base, great product, visual merchandising freedom

Cons

Payout for the bonus is the same for all stores, regardless of volume tier.

Fun atmosphere but minimal hours

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Position was very fun, working with a large variety of individuals

Cons

minimal hours available, poor metric measuring, no benefits (ie: health, dental, pd. vacation etc) Minimal leadership/training outside of the store manager

implement training schedules for new employees, employ fewer people to provide more hours to the dedicated employees

GREAT!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

Pros

Overwhelming majority of employees - from Stores to Warehouse to Corporate Office - are positive, hard-working and want the company to succeed. There's honesty, transparency and a desire to make a difference. Love the open communication and the fact that the Corporate Office listens to the Stores and the Stores appreciate & respect the efforts made by the Corporate team.

Cons

Owners/Board used to create a lot of confusion, constantly changed direction and focused only on the numbers. That old culture has been turned around, but there are still some lingering practices/processes that need to be updated to be relevant to the new culture.

Keep building on this new direction of the brand, keep listening to your people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company has taken a turn for the worse.

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Fergus Falls, MN
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Fergus Falls, MN

I have been working at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The jeans are amazingly wonderful.

Cons

They do not care about their employee's. They treat them like they are just a mannequin in the store. Their pay is real bad for what they expect of you without showing any appreciation for how hard we work in the field, making their wages for them.

Take a look at what your employees do for you and how hard they work for you in the field, show them some respect and not like they are just there to open and close the store. Take a look at the people that have given so much of themselves to the company to only get slapped in the face.

Worst business decision I've made...

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks

Pros

The customers are the only good thing about that store. They sometimes ran decent sales on clearance but since you're supposed to wear new product it was irrelevant to work.

Cons

There are no hours for anything, you spend your day on one person coverage which makes it hard to use the bathroom or grab anything from the backroom for the floor without leaving your store open to shrink. However the DM and RM still expect you to check emails on the back office computer and be available for conference calls when you are the only one running the store. Very little coaching from DM and RM, also a lack of support they are generally unreachable if you have questions and do not return phone calls or emails in a timely fashion and if you reach out to home office you get reprimanded because you didn't turn to them, even if you did try and they didn't respond. There is a lot of confusion between policies, nobody seems to be on the same page about what is and is not acceptable. Most of the sales goals are unrealistic for the traffic that comes in the store and they expect commission style selling without commission pay. The clothing is overpriced considering you can get a lot of the same products at their competitors' stores for about a 1/3 of the cost. I found a lot of clothing that I could have gotten cheaper even after my 40% employee discount was applied at other retailers. There is a lack of concern for their employees, my DM expected myself and the SSM to work everyday day for a whole month when our 2 leads quite without once offering to send in help from another store in the district making for poor work/home balance, especially considering we are both moms. There is no investment in developing associates just a high turn over rate. They also do not do performance reviews or give raises like every other company I've ever worked for. There is no secondary option concerning pto that you, depending on your stores circumstances may not be able to use, you just lose it when the time comes. They do not value associate time both my DM and RM on numerous occasions expected me to drop my family on my day off to come in and speak with them if they made an impromptu visit and times when I couldn't I was reprimanded for my "dedication to the business" Overall it this is one of the worst companies I've ever worked for and if you value yourself and peace of mind I wouldn't recommend working for them.

Treat your associates as if they are disposable and they will start to believe it and employee morale goes out the window but if you show them they are valuable and an asset they will work hard to make your business flourish...

Good company but disappointing salaries, etc.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are great! Job is flexible. Promotions are amazing. Awesome 40% employee discount.

Cons

Salaries aren't great. You have a sales number goal that you have to achieve during your shift; too bad they don't do commissions. Sometimes, coworkers like to steal your customers!

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, okay pay, likable emloyees.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up

More communication

Worked as a sales lead in St. Louis, MO. Loved what I was doing, but had to resign because they needed new management.

Former Employee - Sales Lead/Key Holder  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Lead/Key Holder in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, high energy, great clothing, and great repeat business.

Cons

Store management was terrible and never took responsibility for their mistakes. I was always going above and beyond for this company and helping cover for the manager that my sales started dropping. When this happened, instead of feeling appreciate for all the hard work I had done, the manager harrassed me about sales and not getting my tasks done. I would have been able to maintain high sales and finish all of my tasks on time, if I hadn't been covering for my manager and doing her job for her. This manager stole sales from other employees, crediting them as her own. Unprofessional.

Someone needs to keep an eye on individual store management so that associates and leads can better focus on their jobs instead of covering for the managers and taking responsibility for their mistakes. Also, instead of letting someone go for not selling well, figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. Watched a lot of fellow co-workers either get fired or resign because the manager was always on them about selling instead of giving them the proper techniques needed to make a sale. A manager is suppose to advise, guide, and be there for their employees, not make them feel like they are uncared for, unappreciated, and don't know what they are doing.

Horrible company no training provided

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time for more than a year

Pros

none everything is done unethically

Cons

most unethical place ever, and extremely rude upper management

tell every perspective employee that they will be fired if they dont sell 75 dollars per hour.

Long hours high expectations low pay

I worked at Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a great discount on merchandise. It is 40 percent off original prices too bad its not off sale.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours and meet their high expectations and store goals that often ment working by yourself. There is no suppport from upper management and its really hard to run a store for 12 hours without another employee there and maintain a low shrink.

you get what you pay for

Worked for Vanity Shop Of Grand Forks? Contribute to the Community!