Vans

Vans Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Vans President Kevin Bailey

Kevin Bailey

Pros:
  • "50% Discount, Rad music, SOME great people, mellow dress code"
    in 13 reviews
  • "This corporation has a Great discount on vans as well as all their other sister companies in vf"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "I'm rating the work/life balance lower because I honestly have too much life and not enough work to balance it out"
    in 4 reviews
  • "No hours, not even if you've been working there for over 2 years"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It wasn't the worst place, but I felt as if I didn't fit in with other employees.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Newport News, VA

I have been working at Vans part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's very fun and unique

ConsWasn't diverse enough. Everyone was basically the same

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a more diverse crowd of people, rather than people of all the same interest.

Best first job I could have asked for!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vans part-time for more than a year

ProsThe company encourages you to be original and so it doesn't matter if you have a clean look or if you're all tatted up. There's always good music playing and it's a fun environment! Living in California I've been lucky to get to work some major Vans events and so if you work hard you get to be part of some amazing things!

ConsHard to get a raise or to move up in management. You often get told you're going to get promoted and then nothing happens for months and months.

Great Company, Great Culture

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Augustine, FL

I have been working at Vans full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome money and super good company with wonderful perks. The culture is great.

ConsInterview process was tough but other than that not much was bad.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Vans life

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vans part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat first job. Fun environment.

ConsThe company's operations are inconsistent and outdated.
Not the most professional work environment.

Back Stock manager/ Floor supervisor "in training"

Stockroom Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vans part-time for more than a year

Pros50% Discount, Rad music, SOME great people, mellow dress code. awesome brand.

ConsFor the back stock manager- under payed, lots of hard work, on a good day you'll get 20 boxes of shipment, on a bad day you can get up to 120 boxes.
 "at my store at least" I'm the only one who works on BC shipment, no one else, I work really hard to move shoe boxes to make space, then to have it all messed up the next day. No one else cares to help keep the shoes organized as well as the back room in general. No one ever cleans the bathroom, i end up doing it on my own time, cause i use, it id like a clean bathroom. Bi polar hours, one week i'll have 26 the next 11, hours, not enough time to get anything done especially in a 3 hour shift. no credit for sales, since stock manager doesn't count for that. when you have an open scheduled like me usually company take full advantage, vans doesn't. when someone cant make it to their shift they;'' call me 20 min before the sift starts and asks if i can cover it, of course i say yes... taking me 30 min to get to work leaving me with -10 minuets, why not have just used a reliable employee for that shift in the first place if you know that someone has a bad attendance as usual?

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a better manager, someone who is well planned and doesn't take up our whole pay role making over $20 so you can give us more hours. don't be greedy with your employees like that cause we are the ones selling your products! perhaps hire 2 stock managers, and give them equal hours to finish task as well as keeping the back room in order.

It was fun in the beginning but when management I dreaded going to work.

Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Modesto, CA

I worked at Vans part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat friends that I still have.

ConsBad management who eventually did get let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overuse your employees.

off the wall

Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Vans part-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat staff. challenging work experience, as well as great company discounts

Consroom for advancement and promotion is limited.

Advice to Senior Managementconnect and teach the sales staff with more passion for wanting to help others

Good first job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I worked at Vans part-time for more than a year

ProsThe atmosphere is awesome especially if you grew up with action sports and vans but its cool even if you didn't you learn a lot. You gain a lot of valuable skills. The 50% discount is awesome. The shoes sell themselves since they are so popular so sales goals are fairly easy to meet

ConsSometimes on the slow seasons you get very little hours. Some weeks I would just work one 4 hour shift a week and my paycheck would be like $60. Sometimes corporate would demand to much from us especially when changing floor sets and they would not provide extra payroll for us.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more payroll when doing floor sets so that they can be done in a timely manner and not half assed. Maybe hire less people so that more hours can be spread out.

Overall, a very disappointing experience. Didn't feel like a real job

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I worked at Vans part-time for less than a year

Pros-A generous 50% discount

-For the most part, my coworkers were chill, laid back, and would help you out if you asked for it

-I love Vans. Very cool brand

-Fairly easy work. You get the hang of things pretty fast

Cons-HORRIBLE hours! I was under the impression I'd get a lot of hours because since I worked here during the holidays and they hired about 10 of us seasonal workers, it would always be crazy busy and they needed a lot of help. Quite the opposite! They were way too overstaffed (over 30 of us worked at our store). Therefore, unless you have been working there for awhile, your hours will be bad. On a good week, we will get scheduled for 8 hours. On a regular week, we might get scheduled for 4 hours. It was not uncommon for many workers to get 0 hours. What is the point of having a job with hours so low?

-On call shifts. You have to call in 3 hours before your shift starts to see if they need you to come in. They never need you because they are so overstaffed. Still, they expect you to not make any plans so you can be on stand-by just in case. Such BS.

-Sometimes, they would cut your shift. So, if you had 8 hours a week, it's highly probably it will go down to 4. If you had 4, it could potentially go down to 0. Sometimes, it would be so slow at Vans that they would send workers home after 2 hours. They would claim they "don't have the payroll to go around". So why did you hire so many people then? I don't get it.

-Embarrassingly bad paychecks as a result of terrible hours. If you're trying to make some actual money, do not work here.

-They didn't really have time to train the new seasonal sales associates properly. They kind of briefly went over things on the first day, and that was it. They were helpful if we had questions later on though. But they never even trained us to use the register, because supposedly they "didn't have time" even though sometimes it would be so slow at the store we would all just be standing around pretending to fold clothes.

-I didn't feel like the managers/assistant managers gave a crap out of me. They were using us seasonal sales associates as backup and they didn't make an effort to really get to know us. I felt unappreciated and disposable. They told me during my interview there would be a good chance we would be kept on after the holidays were over. This is a lie because they don't want to scare you away. In reality, they hire about 10 people, and then they play favorites (not who is the best worker), and pick 1 or 2 people they had fun working with as the ones they keep. The other 8 or 9 people just get dropped.

-The way they let us go was really insulting. Our names were just cut from the schedule once they were finished with us. No phone call, no final shift to say good bye or thank you...nothing at all! They didn't even say anything to me about it until I went in to pick up my final paycheck a week later. It was impersonal and nonchalant. So stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire seasonal sales associates if you don't have the hours or the payroll to go around. How about instead of hiring an additional 10+ employees during your holiday season and give them 0-4 hours a week, you hire only 2-3 good ones and give them 20-25 hours a week? I don't understand their logic. It was like I didn't even work there because I was almost never there. Better yet, you didn't even need seasonal sales associates at all because you had a good sized staff to begin with. Such a waste of time!

Fun when you are not a part of management. I made very little money and the hours were awful, even as a supervisor.

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)
Arlington, TX

I have been working at Vans part-time for more than a year

ProsThe discount is awesome, the people you work with will probably become good friends, the atmosphere is laid back and fun.

ConsThis company is cheap, dirt cheap. This job is fun as a sales associate but working your way up through the company is useless.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, you succeed because we exist.

Worked for Vans? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vans CEO Kevin Bailey. All 112 reviews posted anonymously by Vans employees.