Vans

Vans Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Vans President Kevin Bailey

Kevin Bailey

Pros:
  • "Great discount, people oriented, authentic to action sports industry"
    in 17 reviews
  • "50% Discount, Rad music, SOME great people, mellow dress code"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay for junior managers and sales associates is the lowest I've ever seen it in my retail experience"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I'm rating the work/life balance lower because I honestly have too much life and not enough work to balance it out"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good first job

Tucson, AZ

ProsThe atmosphere is awesome especially if you grew up with action sports and vans but its cool even if you didn't you learn a lot. You gain a lot of valuable skills. The 50% discount is awesome. The shoes sell themselves since they are so popular so sales goals are fairly easy to meet

ConsSometimes on the slow seasons you get very little hours. Some weeks I would just work one 4 hour shift a week and my paycheck would be like $60. Sometimes corporate would demand to much from us especially when changing floor sets and they would not provide extra payroll for us.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more payroll when doing floor sets so that they can be done in a timely manner and not half assed. Maybe hire less people so that more hours can be spread out.

Overall, a very disappointing experience. Didn't feel like a real job

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

Pros-A generous 50% discount

-For the most part, my coworkers were chill, laid back, and would help you out if you asked for it

-I love Vans. Very cool brand

-Fairly easy work. You get the hang of things pretty fast

Cons-HORRIBLE hours! I was under the impression I'd get a lot of hours because since I worked here during the holidays and they hired about 10 of us seasonal workers, it would always be crazy busy and they needed a lot of help. Quite the opposite! They were way too overstaffed (over 30 of us worked at our store). Therefore, unless you have been working there for awhile, your hours will be bad. On a good week, we will get scheduled for 8 hours. On a regular week, we might get scheduled for 4 hours. It was not uncommon for many workers to get 0 hours. What is the point of having a job with hours so low?

-On call shifts. You have to call in 3 hours before your shift starts to see if they need you to come in. They never need you because they are so overstaffed. Still, they expect you to not make any plans so you can be on stand-by just in case. Such BS.

-Sometimes, they would cut your shift. So, if you had 8 hours a week, it's highly probably it will go down to 4. If you had 4, it could potentially go down to 0. Sometimes, it would be so slow at Vans that they would send workers home after 2 hours. They would claim they "don't have the payroll to go around". So why did you hire so many people then? I don't get it.

-Embarrassingly bad paychecks as a result of terrible hours. If you're trying to make some actual money, do not work here.

-They didn't really have time to train the new seasonal sales associates properly. They kind of briefly went over things on the first day, and that was it. They were helpful if we had questions later on though. But they never even trained us to use the register, because supposedly they "didn't have time" even though sometimes it would be so slow at the store we would all just be standing around pretending to fold clothes.

-I didn't feel like the managers/assistant managers gave a crap out of me. They were using us seasonal sales associates as backup and they didn't make an effort to really get to know us. I felt unappreciated and disposable. They told me during my interview there would be a good chance we would be kept on after the holidays were over. This is a lie because they don't want to scare you away. In reality, they hire about 10 people, and then they play favorites (not who is the best worker), and pick 1 or 2 people they had fun working with as the ones they keep. The other 8 or 9 people just get dropped.

-The way they let us go was really insulting. Our names were just cut from the schedule once they were finished with us. No phone call, no final shift to say good bye or thank you...nothing at all! They didn't even say anything to me about it until I went in to pick up my final paycheck a week later. It was impersonal and nonchalant. So stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire seasonal sales associates if you don't have the hours or the payroll to go around. How about instead of hiring an additional 10+ employees during your holiday season and give them 0-4 hours a week, you hire only 2-3 good ones and give them 20-25 hours a week? I don't understand their logic. It was like I didn't even work there because I was almost never there. Better yet, you didn't even need seasonal sales associates at all because you had a good sized staff to begin with. Such a waste of time!

Fun when you are not a part of management. I made very little money and the hours were awful, even as a supervisor.

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Arlington, TX

ProsThe discount is awesome, the people you work with will probably become good friends, the atmosphere is laid back and fun.

ConsThis company is cheap, dirt cheap. This job is fun as a sales associate but working your way up through the company is useless.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, you succeed because we exist.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing company to work for

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Ellenton, FL

ProsTreated as part of the family
    Freedom to run your store like a local skate shop
    Competitive salaries

ConsNone that I can think of...

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an Area Manager position to assist DM's and to prepare oneself for future DM position

Accessories Developer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits and awesome experience for employees & their families. They also give back to the community.

ConsWork and Personal Life Balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect for Talent, Define the right outcome, focus on strength, and find the right fit. Need more leadership.

The overall position was completely undersold by the District HR. And I was willing to patiently see a change in the DC.

Multi Unit Management (Former Employee)
    Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

ProsVans provides discount on their product to their associates

ConsVans HQ itself seems extremely friendly and easy going location to work for. Sadly, not the case at Vans DC poor overall management to include HR as a whole. Very minimal support to associates who are not at the management level. The main reason as to why I decided to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome a stronger force to deal with as far as it pertains to Human Resources. Bring someone onboard who truly is for the people and supports their concerns. Current manager lack sensitivity, humbleness and empathy to others. Not the ideal way to build a strong TEAM.

Seasonal Employment

Menlo Park, NJ

ProsI loved working at Vans, I loved the people I worked with. The discount was fantastic and the culture of the company was amazing.

ConsThe commute wasn't worth the hours I worked. I broke even with the money I made and the gas I used to get there. But that's just because of the traffic.

Vans was a fun place to work.

Floor Sales (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsDiscounts, fun, and experience were all worth working there. Sales experience looks good on future resumes!

ConsStarting salary is low, but expected at an entry level job for teenagers! I also found the video training to be a total joke...

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter, hands-on training.

Great company

Lynnwood, WA

Pros-Great associates
    -Fun to work with

Cons-Not much room for growth

Good for a first job in high school, not recommended for a long-term career.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros50% discount. Pretty cool, relaxed environment and like-minded coworkers.

ConsLots of favoritism. Too much pressure to be pushy and force customers to look at and buy items they didn't ask for. Too many young, incompetent people hired who didn't know what they were doing. 4-hour shifts, even on Black Friday (not sure if it varies from mall to mall, but we only got 1 or 2 shifts a week, while the managers got 40 hours). A typical shift was one manager + one salesperson on the floor -- not enough hands to bring out shoes for customers AND do stock-related stuff in the back. They more often hired managers from the outside rather than promoting from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive longer shifts and have more people on the floor during a shift.

Worked for Vans? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vans CEO Kevin Bailey. All 125 reviews posted anonymously by Vans employees.