Vans

Vans Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Vans President Kevin Bailey

Kevin Bailey

Pros
  • Great discount, people oriented, authentic to action sports industry (in 21 reviews)

• 50% Discount, Rad music, SOME great people, mellow dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm rating the work/life balance lower because I honestly have too much life and not enough work to balance it out (in 4 reviews)

• Pay for junior managers and sales associates is the lowest I've ever seen it in my retail experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Vans has great values that they believe in and that they hold true

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery fun work environment. Great employee discount. They allow you to be your own leader.

ConsCompensation is low for workload responsibilities. Training seems to be unattainable at times with work envirionment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever stop learning.

Fun coworkers, great discount, but low amount of hours and pay

Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsVans had a great work environment, the job was relatively easy, they gave great discounts, and flexible hours for part time employees.

ConsThe only major down side to working here was the low pay and low hours. Furthermore, depending on the store you can either be extremely busy or extremely bored.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring a bunch of new employees and give more hours to the veterans.

Great co-workers, that's about it

Backstock Supervisor (Former Employee) Gilroy, CA

ProsCo-workers were amazing.
    Discount was great.
    Easy to get days off

ConsHorrible pay. As a supervisor I had less than 20 hours a week and the full time employees were coerced into giving up on hours routinely. I only made 1.50 more than a normal associate, yet had far more responsibilities. Breaks were unheard of and working overtime off-the-clock wasn't uncommon just to get the DAILY DUTIES done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of your butts. You're letting extremely talented employees get away from you because you don't want to fork out the cash to keep them. I wasn't the first management level employee to leave and I'm surely not going to be the last.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for but not for the long term

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe biggest perk of working at Vans is the generous employee discount. Most of the people that tend to work within the company embody the overall aesthetic of the products it sells.

ConsScheduling always seemed to be a problem and though I rarely requested time off, whenever I did it seemed to be a huge hassle for my manager as we were usually low-staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the newer employees better and allow more opportunity for advancement rather than seeming so complacent.

Lovely staff, horrible job

Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsStaff is like a big family, most get along well, are friends outside of work, makes going to work easy.

ConsNo promotions, hard to move up or get a raise. Incompetent management members are hard to fire so you have to keep dealing with it while working under someone who is worse at their job than a monkey.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote internally! And pay your employees who have been with the company for a long time more. Instead of yearly reviews with raises perhaps twice a year or quarterly.

ehh

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat discount, still supports skating and a great "edgy" culture, fun for the most part. Flexible work schedule.

ConsLow pay, but that's most retailers. Takes awhile to move up. Sometimes it's unfair; you'll be the hardest worker you can be, showing up on time and then the least hardest associate will have more hours than you the next week.

Great people horrible hours

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsJob is very laid back, the hourly wage is great no complains.

ConsManager made us compete for hours. I expected to get at least 20 a week, but instead only received 8-12.

Corporate Done Right

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRaises and promotions are consistent; training is standardized and refreshed often; employees are treated with respect and given lots of incentive programs

ConsPart-time management does not receive any benefits; consistently large workload

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that people who work here are mostly college kids just looking to make a few extra bucks and this isn't going to be their career!! Most stores' employee turnover rate is extremely high, even for retail!

great experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Lynnwood, WA

Proscompany atmosphere, employee discounts, time-off policies

Consroom for growth, future development in sales

Impressed with internal promotion system

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI am very happy with the work that I do and that the hard work I put in does not go unnoticed. I have been in retail for over 10 years and I have received some of the best coaching and development with Vans than with any other company. They really want to work with you on leveraging your strengths and growing your opportunity areas to see you succeed. If you take care of them, they take care of you which can't be said of most retail companies who take and take and take from you and give next to nothing in return.

ConsThey are a bit stingy with their pay. I am under paid for my position and have been on my boss for over 6 months for my raise that is over due. We have a meeting to discuss very soon we shall see how that goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not underpay the people who are performing for you. The internal promotions should be given a considerable raise to match those similarly who are external hires. You have the benefit of someone who is already trained, they deserve more than a small percentage. It bothers me that this isn't just THIS companies practice. Most people in management I know have to job hop to climb the pay scale. Its hard to keep good people this way.

Worked for Vans? Contribute to the Community!