Vans Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

Vans President Kevin Bailey
Kevin Bailey

Pros
  • Great discount, people oriented, authentic to action sports industry (in 21 reviews)

• 50% Discount, Rad music, SOME great people, mellow dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm rating the work/life balance lower because I honestly have too much life and not enough work to balance it out (in 4 reviews)

• Pay for junior managers and sales associates is the lowest I've ever seen it in my retail experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Left a Fortune 500 company to work here, and I love every minute

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Vans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unity. Positive leaders. Fun. Great discount. Easy. Money is great for management. Flexible.

I left a large insurance company to go to Vans. Very pleased with the perfect balance of "corporate" and "skate shop" feel. Love being able to dress in the clothes, couldn't be happier!

Cons

Sometimes I feel there's a disconnect between the stores and corporate. Other than that, none.

Don't forget about the east coasters! I feel like sometimes (although I'm aware we are a Cali-based company) we're forgotten about. Even though we bring in a large volume and rule the V66. I also respect their drive for "national consistency" but at the same time, what works for a northern Cali store may not be as successful in a southern Atlanta store. Visuals, POP, types and styles should be congruent to the market.

Lots of work, little pay, good atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Vans part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employee discount was really great. 50% off of everything including a free pair of shoes and 2 shirts when I started working. Also, most of my coworkers were really cool.

Cons

For a minimum wage job, I was constantly being pressured and pressured to do better in every aspect of sales while I was already working hard. Not to sound lazy, but they really do ask a lot of you in terms of sales, and hours were not good at all. Also, they had on calls where you had to call in 3 hours before potentially working about twice to three times a week. However, 100% of the time I was told that I was not needed. This was annoying because I would have to take time out of my day that I could talk on the phone and make sure to always have a reminder.. and if I were to call 20 minutes late I would get chewed out by management.

Stop being lazy while expecting so much from the people doing the actual work.

Retail me not.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Towson, MD

I worked at Vans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome discount and some good coworkers easy to request off. Pretty relaxed work environment.

Cons

As a sales associate at the store I worked at you can almost forget any chance of promotion. I've been a die hard fan of vans products all
    My life and always wanted to work at vans when I finally got a chance too had to know someone to get a job. Management was in a clique and put incompetent 18 year old kids in floor supervisor positions the kind who's open the back door to smoke and ask you to watch the floor alone then you pull your phone out to check the fine and he writes you up for it. There's zero hope in working on your deck book management says they're too busy with other tasks when there's plenty of down days. They just don't care and don't want you to move up. People are super lazy and never put drags away managers think they're better then that and would rarely help put them away or fold shirts typically the store closing procedures went well onto 11pm because no one was tending to the drags and clothes who left earlier. There's a very "f it it's not my problem attitude " just overall a sad learning expierence. The managers would often steal all the hours from asosociates and just work all manager shifts by that I mean run managers and no sales staff. Also noone cares about skate certifing you unless your again in thier "clique" It took me 8 months to get certified to ring while others were always stealing my big sales. I had to call hr 3 times in regards o why I wasn't certified. I have a clean record and I'm not a thief. So I'm not sure what thier issue was. Eventually I got other jobs and just worked at vans less and less never quit just would work a day once in awhile until I was randomly terminated. And also never informed of it. There's probably only two good managers at this store the rest and old manager are incompetent morons.

Promote from within it just irritates people who are all about the brand with product knowledge you wouldn't believe get skipped over for promotion after working at the store for 2 or more years in favor of someone who knows little about vans from the outside.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

I have been working at Vans part-time

Pros

Great selection of shoes, nice management.

Cons

Little hours. sometimes rude customers.

none

Vans has great values that they believe in and that they hold true

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vans full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very fun work environment. Great employee discount. They allow you to be your own leader.

Cons

Compensation is low for workload responsibilities. Training seems to be unattainable at times with work envirionment.

Never stop learning.

If you're not in it for the money, it's a lot of fun.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Vans full-time for more than a year

Pros

-A relaxed dress code
    -A decent employee discount (50% full price, 30% off sale)
    -A good work/personal life balance (outside of peak business periods)
    -Lots of overtime for key holders and Assistant Managers (not for Store Managers)
    -A very cool culture company wide

Cons

-They require you to wear Vans shoes but will only provide them once when you start. So a few months down the line you have to buy your own and they will not be reimburse you.
    -Terrible pay. I understand that a lot of people will complain they want more money, but Vans is not competitive. As a Store Manager you can expect 25-30% less salary compared to its competitors (PacSun, Adidas, etc). The same goes for key holders and Assistant Store Managers. Key holders get just above minimum wage (in California), and ASMs are also underpaid for the workload.
    -Lots of cooks in the kitchen. Merchandising, Operations, and allocations can't get on the same page resulting in lots of frustration at the store level.
    -Vans has the most broken payroll system I've ever seen. The expectation as a region that if payroll budgets aren't being met that all stores slash payroll to the bone, taking bodies off the sales floor and creating a much larger workload.

Consider creating new positions to help District Managers. Area Managers or GM's could help out in the field. Remove or terminate poor performing Store Managers (maybe for freestanding stores) and have a General Manager run two or more locations.
    Allow your store managers to run their business the way they see fit. Provide a P/L and other company tools so that Store Managers can make decisions that build their business.
    Look at fixing the payroll system. Reach out to the field and to your Store Managers for feedback. At least the stronger managers, some of us might have some good ideas. (I understand a lot of us won't)

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX

I have been working at Vans part-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide cross-training from learning the register to the back of the house, stocking to the providing customer service/working the sales floor.

Cons

You sometimes do not get the amount of hours you would like to work. The work-life balance is adequate. Management training is available if you choose to climb the retail chain.

Keep up the good work.

Its OK

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Vans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing discounts 50% on Everything is amazing
    If you get the right staff it will be fun
    did i mention the discount

Cons

Pay raise was a joke
    Very rude maneger
    Very rude Workers
    Very rude People

Pay your star sellers better

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Vans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Us second hand, Least favorited people got close. The few good customers that came in were the nicest. Meeting corporate.

Cons

The " Managers " hardly knew how to sell a shoe.
    If you weren't a manager you just just an " Eh " employee.
    They hired about 10 new people when they could have given us all raises to have us stay longer without struggling so much. Customers in the location I was at were horrible, never happy and often snapped or whistled at you.
    It was part time but felt full time... 7.25 then tax deduction cuts you up bad... I was making about 7 bucks an hour, but yet every day for four months straight I sold 3K dollars worth of shoes and shirts and hardly recognized for it.
    Extreme work for very little pay..

Be fair.
    If you say not to pull out your phone but you pull out yours and make a phone call, its sort of... unfair?

Fun coworkers, great discount, but low amount of hours and pay

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate  in  Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Tustin, CA

I worked at Vans part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vans had a great work environment, the job was relatively easy, they gave great discounts, and flexible hours for part time employees.

Cons

The only major down side to working here was the low pay and low hours. Furthermore, depending on the store you can either be extremely busy or extremely bored.

Stop hiring a bunch of new employees and give more hours to the veterans.

Worked for Vans? Contribute to the Community!