Vans

Updated November 25, 2014
3.4

Vans President Kevin Bailey
Kevin Bailey

Pros
  • Great discount, people oriented, authentic to action sports industry (in 26 reviews)

• 50% discount of regular priced merchandise, 30% off sale (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting out, look at 4-8 hours a week on minimum wage (in 10 reviews)

• Pay for junior managers and sales associates is the lowest I've ever seen it in my retail experience (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone there is so cool and laid back. There is a generous discount and I've never had a problem with any coworker

Cons

The only con I really have is I feel like I work a lot for minimum wage. The other day the manger left me to run the store for the last hour all by myself and do the majority of the closing again, by myself.

This is a job for experiences, not for money. Store environment all depends on management team and fellow associates.

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vans is a job for the benefit of feeling involved, personal achievement, and gaining knowledge, NOT the money. I want to say first that if you are in need of a job just for the paychecks Vans is not the place for you. I have been a sales associate for almost a year, and even during peak periods I've never been scheduled to work more than 20 hours a week. However, while here I have achieved goals, been shown appreciation from customers in surveys (Great resume add on!), developed a great Vans wardrobe, and built friendships with my team members.

- 50% discount of regular priced merchandise, 30% off sale.
    - Star Sales Associate of the month and Supervisor of the month get 70% off the following month on regular price and 50% off sale items.
    - Employee uniform is Vans shoes and a Vans T-shirt. Very easy to get ready for work.
    - One free pair of shoes under $65 each consecutive year of working.
    - Awesome amount of knowledge built about store products to carry even after leaving.
    - Fun work environment.
    - Strong customer relationships
    - Cool prizes received for achieving goals (pins on name tag, name on wall, etc..)

Cons

- A lot is asked of associates for a low hourly pay. Your numbers (units per transaction, average dollar sale, sales per hour, daily sales goal) are taken seriously. If your numbers are not good, it will reflect on your hours for the week. (For example: Fellow associate overslept and was late, only given 8 hours the following week. However, management team members have forgotten they were scheduled an opening shift and shown up late to open the store with no disciplinary action.)

- Managers are competitive, and their goals are based off the associate goals. Associates are pushed to focus less on customer satisfaction and more on selling and adding on at times.
    - In store competition for who has to do closing activities, drags (putting shoes back on shelf), folding, based on individual numbers at that given time can be frustrating.
    - Favoritism shown on the schedule based on "Star of the week" (clearly stated in management that it's not allowed).

- Focus more on customer satisfaction, and less on numbers and goals. If a customer does not want socks added to their transaction, stop encouraging associates to pressure them into it. It creates a stressful work environment.

- Keep in mind that associates are not responsible for customers who do not want to buy certain items to better a sale/are not interested in taking advantage of promotions if it's mentioned and the customer says no.

- Solve problems with communication in the management team. Managers saying mean things about other managers to associates creates unnecessary drama in the work environment.

- Don't hire a vast number associates for peak periods (Back to School, Holiday, Summer) so everyone stays with low hours. Hire a small number of new associates and give better hours to everybody.

vans

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Vans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount is crazy.

Cons

salary and hours are limited

Stock Supervisor

Former Employee - Stock Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Stock Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Vans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

VF discounts rock! 50% Vans is hard to pass up. Great attitude in the store. Everyone loves getting Vans, so it makes the job a more pleasant place when you see the smiles.

Cons

Vans is unstructured. No communication between departments or campaigns. They hire too many. If you are looking for more hours and a higher paycheck, it may not be for you. Starting out, look at 4-8 hours a week on minimum wage. You can work your way up to 12 if you bust it. 20 if you're lucky.

Push for better organization in the corporate office. Invest in hiring strategies. Don't hire 20 and then let them "fade out."

Assistant Stock Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arcadia, CA

I worked at Vans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, culture, good work environment

Cons

No opportunity to grow with in the company, Manage is brought in outside of the company with no true importance of the brand for it can save money. Hours are not dispatched correctly even wit higher sales or work ethic. The pay is minimal

Promote from with in the company to give employees motivation to stay with in the comapny

Left a Fortune 500 company to work here, and I love every minute

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Vans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unity. Positive leaders. Fun. Great discount. Easy. Money is great for management. Flexible.

I left a large insurance company to go to Vans. Very pleased with the perfect balance of "corporate" and "skate shop" feel. Love being able to dress in the clothes, couldn't be happier!

Cons

Sometimes I feel there's a disconnect between the stores and corporate. Other than that, none.

Don't forget about the east coasters! I feel like sometimes (although I'm aware we are a Cali-based company) we're forgotten about. Even though we bring in a large volume and rule the V66. I also respect their drive for "national consistency" but at the same time, what works for a northern Cali store may not be as successful in a southern Atlanta store. Visuals, POP, types and styles should be congruent to the market.

Lots of work, little pay, good atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Vans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount was really great. 50% off of everything including a free pair of shoes and 2 shirts when I started working. Also, most of my coworkers were really cool.

Cons

For a minimum wage job, I was constantly being pressured and pressured to do better in every aspect of sales while I was already working hard. Not to sound lazy, but they really do ask a lot of you in terms of sales, and hours were not good at all. Also, they had on calls where you had to call in 3 hours before potentially working about twice to three times a week. However, 100% of the time I was told that I was not needed. This was annoying because I would have to take time out of my day that I could talk on the phone and make sure to always have a reminder.. and if I were to call 20 minutes late I would get chewed out by management.

Stop being lazy while expecting so much from the people doing the actual work.

Retail me not.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Towson, MD

I worked at Vans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome discount and some good coworkers easy to request off. Pretty relaxed work environment.

Cons

As a sales associate at the store I worked at you can almost forget any chance of promotion. I've been a die hard fan of vans products all
    My life and always wanted to work at vans when I finally got a chance too had to know someone to get a job. Management was in a clique and put incompetent 18 year old kids in floor supervisor positions the kind who's open the back door to smoke and ask you to watch the floor alone then you pull your phone out to check the fine and he writes you up for it. There's zero hope in working on your deck book management says they're too busy with other tasks when there's plenty of down days. They just don't care and don't want you to move up. People are super lazy and never put drags away managers think they're better then that and would rarely help put them away or fold shirts typically the store closing procedures went well onto 11pm because no one was tending to the drags and clothes who left earlier. There's a very "f it it's not my problem attitude " just overall a sad learning expierence. The managers would often steal all the hours from asosociates and just work all manager shifts by that I mean run managers and no sales staff. Also noone cares about skate certifing you unless your again in thier "clique" It took me 8 months to get certified to ring while others were always stealing my big sales. I had to call hr 3 times in regards o why I wasn't certified. I have a clean record and I'm not a thief. So I'm not sure what thier issue was. Eventually I got other jobs and just worked at vans less and less never quit just would work a day once in awhile until I was randomly terminated. And also never informed of it. There's probably only two good managers at this store the rest and old manager are incompetent morons.

Promote from within it just irritates people who are all about the brand with product knowledge you wouldn't believe get skipped over for promotion after working at the store for 2 or more years in favor of someone who knows little about vans from the outside.

Great company

I have been working at Vans part-time

Pros

Great selection of shoes, nice management.

Cons

Little hours. sometimes rude customers.

none

If you're not in it for the money, it's a lot of fun.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Vans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-A relaxed dress code
    -A decent employee discount (50% full price, 30% off sale)
    -A good work/personal life balance (outside of peak business periods)
    -Lots of overtime for key holders and Assistant Managers (not for Store Managers)
    -A very cool culture company wide

Cons

-They require you to wear Vans shoes but will only provide them once when you start. So a few months down the line you have to buy your own and they will not be reimburse you.
    -Terrible pay. I understand that a lot of people will complain they want more money, but Vans is not competitive. As a Store Manager you can expect 25-30% less salary compared to its competitors (PacSun, Adidas, etc). The same goes for key holders and Assistant Store Managers. Key holders get just above minimum wage (in California), and ASMs are also underpaid for the workload.
    -Lots of cooks in the kitchen. Merchandising, Operations, and allocations can't get on the same page resulting in lots of frustration at the store level.
    -Vans has the most broken payroll system I've ever seen. The expectation as a region that if payroll budgets aren't being met that all stores slash payroll to the bone, taking bodies off the sales floor and creating a much larger workload.

Consider creating new positions to help District Managers. Area Managers or GM's could help out in the field. Remove or terminate poor performing Store Managers (maybe for freestanding stores) and have a General Manager run two or more locations.
    Allow your store managers to run their business the way they see fit. Provide a P/L and other company tools so that Store Managers can make decisions that build their business.
    Look at fixing the payroll system. Reach out to the field and to your Store Managers for feedback. At least the stronger managers, some of us might have some good ideas. (I understand a lot of us won't)