Vans

Updated August 13, 2014

3.2

Vans President Kevin Bailey
Kevin Bailey

Pros
  • Great discount, people oriented, authentic to action sports industry (in 21 reviews)

• 50% Discount, Rad music, SOME great people, mellow dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm rating the work/life balance lower because I honestly have too much life and not enough work to balance it out (in 4 reviews)

• Pay for junior managers and sales associates is the lowest I've ever seen it in my retail experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporate Done Right

Pros

Raises and promotions are consistent; training is standardized and refreshed often; employees are treated with respect and given lots of incentive programs

Cons

Part-time management does not receive any benefits; consistently large workload

Realize that people who work here are mostly college kids just looking to make a few extra bucks and this isn't going to be their career!! Most stores' employee turnover rate is extremely high, even for retail!

Lovely staff, horrible job

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Staff is like a big family, most get along well, are friends outside of work, makes going to work easy.

Cons

No promotions, hard to move up or get a raise. Incompetent management members are hard to fire so you have to keep dealing with it while working under someone who is worse at their job than a monkey.

Promote internally! And pay your employees who have been with the company for a long time more. Instead of yearly reviews with raises perhaps twice a year or quarterly.

ehh

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great discount, still supports skating and a great "edgy" culture, fun for the most part. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Low pay, but that's most retailers. Takes awhile to move up. Sometimes it's unfair; you'll be the hardest worker you can be, showing up on time and then the least hardest associate will have more hours than you the next week.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people horrible hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Job is very laid back, the hourly wage is great no complains.

Cons

Manager made us compete for hours. I expected to get at least 20 a week, but instead only received 8-12.

great experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

company atmosphere, employee discounts, time-off policies

Cons

room for growth, future development in sales

Impressed with internal promotion system

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

I am very happy with the work that I do and that the hard work I put in does not go unnoticed. I have been in retail for over 10 years and I have received some of the best coaching and development with Vans than with any other company. They really want to work with you on leveraging your strengths and growing your opportunity areas to see you succeed. If you take care of them, they take care of you which can't be said of most retail companies who take and take and take from you and give next to nothing in return.

Cons

They are a bit stingy with their pay. I am under paid for my position and have been on my boss for over 6 months for my raise that is over due. We have a meeting to discuss very soon we shall see how that goes.

Do not underpay the people who are performing for you. The internal promotions should be given a considerable raise to match those similarly who are external hires. You have the benefit of someone who is already trained, they deserve more than a small percentage. It bothers me that this isn't just THIS companies practice. Most people in management I know have to job hop to climb the pay scale. Its hard to keep good people this way.

Had a brief and fun experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brea, CA

Pros

Discounts!! Loved getting the discounts and just meeting new people. The interview was extremely easy, just wear vans stuff and you're pretty much set.

Cons

They have this thing called "3 to the floor" where if a customer asks for a shoe you bring them the one that actually want, one in a slightly bigger or smaller size, and one of a completely different color. Every time! You can see how this can become a little obnoxious during busy hours.

Modernize the sales requirements.

Waste of effort and time

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Valencia, CA

Pros

The discount, it's only worth it if you really love the products

Cons

Bad workers are able to get away with doing less especially management, if you had less than satisfactory management team, you were pretty much stuck with them until they decide to leave, this company is all about connections and who you know, their pay is below average to other companies on their level, hours are horrible from 4-13 hours a week unless you were a store manager or assistant manager

The DMs only care about candidates past experience and choosing those from outside the company over their own loyal workers, the biggest flaw is not knowing how a candidate works, and deciding to choose them over someone already with the company who has proven themselves

A fun atmosphere but slightly stagnant

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I LOVED working at Vans when I had my first Manager. We got a new one, and though I would like to say I'm adaptable, it has made all the difference and now I hate it!
    IF you have a good manager, this job can be super fun, easy going, and the discount is SUPERB!

Cons

The pay is very poor.
    If you have a terrible manager or DM then forget about it. If I'm going to hate my life, I better at least be paid well for it.

Stop promoting people before they're ready to take on the responsibility. Focus on hiring sales and lower management from outside the company and then promote up.
    Offer employees of higher positions pay that is at least high enough to where after yearly raises, lower positions aren't getting paid more.
    Payroll should be given to suit business needs, not on money spent. We can't make the money back with an understaffed team.

very clicky

Current Employee - Design  in  Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Cypress, CA

Pros

discount on shoes. warp tour . I've heard the president is a good guy.

Cons

cheap salary they pay less then industry standard , hr seems very uncaring and condescending. not very clear on job description .it's very clicky and thought process ,design ideas seem very one dimensional.

the action sport market is struggling and you need to broaden your aesthetics and offerings. you really need to function like a fashion company. don't get stuck on old ideas of what the vans customer needs to look like.

Worked for Vans? Contribute to the Community!