Vans Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.1

Vans President Kevin Bailey
Kevin Bailey

Pros
  • Great discount, people oriented, authentic to action sports industry (in 21 reviews)

• 50% Discount, Rad music, SOME great people, mellow dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm rating the work/life balance lower because I honestly have too much life and not enough work to balance it out (in 4 reviews)

• Pay for junior managers and sales associates is the lowest I've ever seen it in my retail experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

very clicky

Current Employee - Design  in  Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Vans full-time for more than a year

Pros

discount on shoes. warp tour . I've heard the president is a good guy.

Cons

cheap salary they pay less then industry standard , hr seems very uncaring and condescending. not very clear on job description .it's very clicky and thought process ,design ideas seem very one dimensional.

the action sport market is struggling and you need to broaden your aesthetics and offerings. you really need to function like a fashion company. don't get stuck on old ideas of what the vans customer needs to look like.

Entry Level Retail

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Vans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to lead to upper management level BUT only if you kiss the DM ass. The customers were the best part of the company, sharing the passion for the brand.

Cons

VERY heavy workload on top of having sales and excellent customer service. VERY underpaid compared to other retailers! 4 years with the company and went through so many different changes and tools, etc. NO worklife balance at all.

Great culture, laid back, kind and easygoing people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Vans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid back. Skateboarding are welcome at the office.
    Small, intimate, like a family.
    Cross department collaboration.
    Awesome market/inspiration trips.
    Authenticity earns its credit and respect.
    Socially responsible. Volunteering are encourage.

Cons

Slow and limited career growth.
    Politics. Have to "fit in" or befriend with the "right group" in order to climb.
    Limitation from mother company.
    Short on staff on many departments.
    Below industry standard pay.

Listen to your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vans, Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor  in  Woodstock, GA
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Woodstock, GA

I have been working at Vans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Vans, provides a great employee discount but also provides great work experience. I have worked for many companies similar to Vans and have never loved a job as much as I love Vans. The atmosphere is always positive and very motivating. The Customer base is even better. Customers come in and know what they want. The few who dont know that brand fall in love with it very quickly

Cons

There is a lot of paper work. like any retail job, Vans does its best to balance out the everything. I wouldn't say there is much in terms of cons for Vans.

Having more than enough payroll for the store I believe is essential for the business.

Great coworkers and environment but the starting pay was non-negotiable.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Vans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment and flexible dress code, plus they have an excellent employee discount and you occasionally get free product as well.

Cons

Low compensation with limited opportunity to move along the ranks.

Higher wages.

Met some of the greatest people with this company

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Vans full-time

Pros

Great discount, people oriented, authentic to action sports industry

Cons

Upper management showed favoritism, salary could be better, expect all work to be done with no payroll

Be able to see that some people are all talk.

Underworked, underpaid, and underappreciated.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vans for more than a year

Pros

The employee discount is great and some of the employees I work with are wonderful people. Vans itself fosters a culture of music and art focused around both fashion and action sports, which already sets a good tone for workplace/employee culture.

Cons

Generally, a sales associate only works a four hours per shift at minimum wage with two or three-day work weeks. There is, especially during non-holidays, a seeming surplus of sales associates and a shortage of hours for them. Sales goals are daunting, ranging between $1,000-$3,000 per four-hour shift. You're told that working hard and meeting sales goals will result in you getting more hours. Surprise! It doesn't! Instead, you're just scheduled at busier hours and therefore given higher sales goals; this forces you to bend over backwards to maintain your high performance while dealing with the crème de la crème of customers out of retail nightmares. Having your sales stolen by other sales associates is common, and there tends to be a competitive, stressful atmosphere on the sales floor during peak hours when everyone is trying to meet their goals. A sales associate's 10-minute break request is often looked over in favor of management's 1-hour breaks (which generally happen back-to-back), making it hard for you to take what should be a required break.

The management for my location is pretty dreadful, but I suppose it's different at every store. Some of them are very kind and good at what they do, namely our manager. Otherwise, the rest of management needs a collective attitude adjustment. Multiple times, sales associates have been given instructions by an assistant manager on tasks (such as filling out session accountability numbers and applying certain discounts to items), only to find out that the method they were taught was wrong as another assistant manager condescends to them as though the associate's personal incompetence led to the mistake. This is an anonymous plea to the unnamed management - please don't be complicit in our dehumanization so you can squeeze the most profit out of us. It shouldn't be hard to treat us like people when we have our nametags on.

Its OK

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MD

I worked at Vans part-time for less than a year

Pros

1 hour breaks, pretty cool customers, SOME decent management, 50% discount on full price items and 30% off sale items, we get 20 - 30% off timberland, The northface & other vanity fair stores.

Cons

$8.00 pay is ridiculous for all the work and odd hours the we get during holidays.

certain assistant manager that's been there for 8 yrs is close to being unbearable she talks down to customers and employees, she steals sales, works slow, barely works & is all over unpleasant she ruins the job and atmosphere aka Darleen Ridgeway at Arundle mills mall in hanover md

Fun work environment if working with a positive team.

I have been working at Vans part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount is great, fun working environment, extremely casual dress code, great culture to share with customers. Has been easy to work while being in school (both high school and college).

Cons

Payroll is usually low, making it hard to get a lot of hours. Can take awhile to get promoted.

Overall fun place to work!

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor  in  Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Vans part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Atmosphere, fun family like workplace. The discount is excellent especially if that is the attire you wear or if you like to skate. There are cool bonuses you can get during holiday season etc... if your store performs well.

Cons

A lot of work at times for little pay. The higher up you are the more pay but less work needed to be done. It is best to be at the top of the totem pole.

Remember the work that the lower level employees do with little recognition. Be grateful for a great team.

Worked for Vans? Contribute to the Community!