Vans Reviews

187 reviews filtered by

1. Awesome people awesome brand

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Vans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome brand with good benefits

Cons

Huge disconnect from corporate to store level. Especially when it comes to alloted payroll vs. the insane amounts of work load and tasks while still expected to maintain customer service and store standards.

Get a payroll system that actually works. Insane expectations with limited payroll and support.

Start here. Get a better job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Vans part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount is higher than most other companies (from what I've heard/seen from friends working in retail) 50% is pretty good (sometimes it sucks because the merch has a high price tag)
    Generally speaking your co-workers are decent people. The job isn't too difficult once you understand the stock room, and basics of the job.

Cons

For part-time work there are no benefits, except your discount. Hours are hard to come by, you're looking at 4-8 hours a week most of the time. The only two peak seasons are back to school (August - September) and the holiday season (late November-January) the payroll is always very strict, so working over 28 hours (which is considered part time) is very bad. You will be scolded for doing this. Even though every month you have a new floor set, new merchandise coming in, old merchandise going out, new standards to fulfill, all while maintaining stellar customer service and keeping the store at visual standards. Sometimes it is very difficult to take on such a workload on the hours you are given. On top of the shortage of hours, there are about 14 other sales associates in the same boat, competing for hours just like you.
    I know plenty of other part time sales associates that get paid twice what I do, it's a very hard job to have if you're trying to live off of it. When I first got this job I had to get a second one because the hours were so terrible. There is a very large disconnect between corporate and the stores. If your store does "well" in any aspect of retail (sales, shrink, reviews, etc.) then your store manager is rewarded, and you (as the sales associate) get nothing. It's hard to feel like this company cares about its employees actually pushing the product and selling it. It's very difficult to move up, there's very little flexibility as far as management goes (must be able to pretty much work all the time)

Close the gap between corporate and the stores. Allow for extra payroll to be used when large projects need to be completed. Provide more benefits for part-time work, the discount is nice. However, it's hard to feel like that outweighs the low pay and shortage of hours. I think I speak for many people when I say it's difficult to feel valued by this company. It seems as though that if you are not a store manager, or in corporate, you are very expendable and useless.

3. Floor Supervisor

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vans part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great armoshphere and work environment
    CoWorkers are almost like family to me
    50% discount is awesome

Cons

The work in the retail side of the company is very redundant and gets stale pretty fast. Also the pay is somewhat on the lower side compared to rival companies.

5. Bad Experience

I worked at Vans

Pros

Discount on shoes and gear.

Cons

Let go for no reason.

6. Good discount

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Vans part-time

Pros

Great discount on clothes/shoes. I believe the discount was 40% and then more on clearance items. Another pro is you get to wear vans clothes and the job has a lot of potential to move up.

Cons

they expect too much for minimum wage. not worth it.

7. Great first job with mobility

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Capitola, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Capitola, CA

I have been working at Vans part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training program and team environment

Cons

Highest you can really get promoted is Store Management. Takes years to get corporate attention

8. Awesome Job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at Vans part-time (more than a year)

Pros

discount, managers (Alex was awesome!), really cool environment to work in, time off policy was good, awesome co-workers, get to work with someone the coolest shoes. Really sad I had to leave.

Cons

pay, sometimes the hours were short.

9. Love it, but it's retail.

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Vans full-time

Pros

Amazing leadership in corporate.
    Awesome brand to work for.
    Lots of charity.

Cons

It's retail.
    People are mostly super laid back... And this means no sense of urgency in lower management.
    Training is EXTENSIVE and tedious.
    Lacking organization.

10. Great company to work for

I worked at Vans part-time

Pros

great discounts. Able to move up quickly in the retail industry if you are motivated

Cons

give employees minimal hours to work. hard to get by with just working for them.

give more hours to sales associates

11. Vans Review

Former Employee - Stockroom Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Stockroom Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Vans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount is great. my whole wardrobe and shoes are set for the next couple years because of there great discounts. Good music to listen too. The people you work with are fun. ability to put your personality into your work.

Cons

At first i thought this pay ways amazing. but then i realized how much other people in my position got payed for what i did in other companies and it was crazy. There are stores that pay there associates what out management team was getting paid for a lot of work. Most of the time you will have a low payroll so most of the work( which is a lot) is done by yourself, on top of your managerial duties. Lack of support/respect from district Managers. Also there allocation team is horrible.