Vans Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Floor Supervisor

I have been working at Vans

Pros

Discount for yourself and immediate family, Room to Grow

Cons

Limited hours, too many people on the management team

Advice to Management

Too much paperwork

2. It was fantastic. Excellent staff.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Vans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful staff, products, and customers. The vibe of the store is really great and you create a Vans family. It's really a fun place to work.

Cons

The only con is that they do not hire many people and it is difficult to get hired. In my experience, they told me I could go back to company on my winter break from college but then retracted the offer once I asked.

3. Not what you're expecting...

Current Employee - Sales in La Mirada, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in La Mirada, CA

I have been working at Vans part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most stores are very flexible with schedules if you're going to school or have another job or other obligations. The environment is friendly and team-work oriented to work efficiently in a fast paced job. Lots of tools and resources available to those that ask regarding the company's history and specific information about product and career path progression. Make lots of friends!

Cons

Some associates take advantage of the relaxed environment and availability agreement; TIP: if you don't provide enough open availability then don't expect to work very much.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA

I have been working at Vans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off shoes, 30% off ontop of sale items, 70% off when new season comes, chill job

Cons

Dealing with customers that forget you're also a human and make mistakes, sales associate's longest shift = 4.5 hrs. BS. Seriously a job that'll get you a snack.

6. Retail Associate

I have been working at Vans part-time

Pros

Fun environment 50% discount on all products

Cons

Policies that were dumb and didn't work -- but were enforced.

Fun Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Vans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great discount, 50% off everything, I love skating so it is great to work around that culture.

Cons

People are saying they didn't get enough hours, but they fluctuate from week to week, ultimately comes down to sock sales, the more overpriced socks you push onto the customer, and the more frequently you meet your sales goals you get more hours.

Advice to Management

don't put so much emphasis on sock sales, or make them more affordable so people will actually want them.

The. worst. ever.

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Vans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A laid back environment. Some of the people who work for the company are cool.

Cons

The culture of Vans has died. This is a prime example of what happens to a company when it gets too big. There's a huge disconnect between the corporate office and the stores. The bottom line in all cases is dollars and cents. I understand that's there;s money to be made, but don't advertise yourself as being about the people if that isn't the case. "You can't take KPI's to the bank, make more money" Payroll here is horrible. I like to believe that that's because of VF and Not Vans, but since communication to the field is a lackluster who knows. In this company your forced to buy uniform pieces. Since the company outsourced to outside the great USA and the shoes are made in Asia, the shelf life on them for someone who works 40 hours a week is about 2 months. You're provided one pair of shoes a year, once those are blown out you have to pay out of pocket. In the California stores nobody takes 10 min breaks because there's no coverage on the sales floor (horrible labor allocation). The company continues to open new stores but doesn't have the man power to back it up. It's no wonder Vans has such a high turn over rate. The pay? The worst in the industry I've ever seen. Everyone in the stores is under paid by about 30% on average. Vans does not pay competitively. Supervisors are paid just above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Break away from VF and go back to the roots of Vans. If you can't do that, start paying your people more. Hold the corporate office to the same expectations as the field. The HUB updates you use are six months old and no longer relevant.

Intense pressure in a fast pace environment

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor

I have been working at Vans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 50% discount on apparel - 30% off sale, 20% off proskate - Free pair of shoes & T-shirt on first day - 70% off for employee of the month

Cons

- STRICT rules, regulations, procedures enforced - Cram an IMMENSE amount of information (history, product knowledge, operations) - intense selling focus (like a robot or car salesman) - Short Shifts * Working under pressure in a fast pace environment is a MUST. Managers put a lot of pressure on associates to sell as much as they can to as many people as they can. Even when there are two people working and 10 different customers in the store. You must follow selling technique protocol with every customer. I love the culture and history of vans and I love that I could share that knowledge and admiration with my customers, but at the same time I did not think that working here would turn me into a "robotic car salesman" Most of the time, its almost as if money and sales come before the customers.

10. Loved it, but it's not well-paying.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lehi, UT

I worked at Vans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing discounts on about everything. They also start you off with a free pair of shoes and a shirt. The environment is so fun and friendly.

Cons

Not a lot of work time and my pay wasn't wonderful. Usually, most of my hours went to "on-call" times that are required to be left open in your schedule but are usually not used.

Advice to Management

Schedule the Sales Associates for longer shifts. Not getting a lot of hours is the reason I left and there have been many times that I have been overburdened by the large quantity of incoming customers.

11. I had a great time working for Vans

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at Vans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's always interesting customers coming into Vans, and one of the best parts of the job is just chatting with them. The atmosphere is very comfortable and there's always something to keep you busy.

Cons

One of the downsides of Vans is that when it gets busy, it gets extremely busy, as in weaving in and out of people and helping three or four customers at once.

RSS Feed </> Embed