Vantage Laboratories

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Patrylak

Innovative culture, excellent engineering, and smart caring people

I have been working at Vantage Laboratories full-time

ProsOpportunity to work on outstanding products,fun, cutting edge technologies, and technically challenging/interesting projects. Every person has the opportunity to make a major difference in the company and make an impact on our product, services, and customers. One of the most financially stable businesses.

ConsThe pace, accountability, and growth opportunities are not a fit for every person. For some people it is a great fit and some not.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing, hire smart, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Create more and more opportunities to recognize people in all roles.

Decent compensation, family atmosphere, mostly disorganized environment.

Yardley, PA

I have been working at Vantage Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood family atmosphere. Decent compensation. Excellent exposure to changing technologies.

ConsFar from the metro Phila. area. Difficult to get to the office in winter storms and tyrannical office managers. Flat management structure compared to other similar sized companies I worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to extend flexibility to your managers, and don't be ashamed to reap the benefits from doing so.

Run as fast as you can. Don't look back. Don't ever look back!

I worked at Vantage Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNone, unless you truly want to feel like a third grader getting scolded. this is a great environment for someone who truly enjoys dreading going to work, lack of enthusiasm, and a demeaning owner.
they do have amazing technology, just miserable leadership.

ConsToo many to list all of them, but a few are:
*Management through fear: They provide absolutely no positive rewards. It's always great when the owner of the company yells at the majority of meetings.
*Too many products, not enough support
*Sales: Horrible.I mean horrible expense policy. No corporate cards and payback at the earliest is 4 weeks late.
*Promises not kept. Look out for the bait and switch when talking about any changes.

Advice to Senior Managementreward employees who work hard and provide support.

Come In, learn a thing or two. Leave quickly!

I worked at Vantage Laboratories

ProsFast-paced environment offers you the ability to learn a lot in a short period of time. There's free food once a quarter. All employees are in the same boat, so you have lots to talk about, even on day one.

ConsWhat boat is that? The fact that you are absurdly underpaid, you will never get a raise, nor cost of living adjustment, their mileage rate is almost half the government's, there is too much work for your understaffed department, so-and-so employee is leaving/just left and they're not going to backfill their (business-critical) position for at least 6 months while they look for the cheapest candidate. Morale is negligible... the only ones who have it are the ones that just started, and they lose it within the first few months.

"Communications from management about important issues and changes?" *Laugh* You should always have a box under your desk, just in case you need to move yourself to a new office 5 miles away without any notice or assistance.

This place is literally a revolving door for employees. I can't remember a single week where it wasn't somebody's last day, or somebody wasn't fired for not meeting their impossible-to-meet sales quota. But if you're in senior management, don't worry, you'll never get fired regardless of how incompetent you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe brave and fire those in your upper management that have no business running anything other than the coffee machine. Fix your compensation plan... all of it. Have a plan in place to *proactively* hire support staff, as opposed to waiting until you're being crushed to start the 6-month process.

No respect, no respect at all.

I worked at Vantage Laboratories

ProsSome of the employees are good, competent people.
Depending on the year it may be in a good location.
If you know a higher-up you might be able to get a job doing something you have no experience or skills with.
Free coffee

ConsNo raises, unless you get a promotion, but even then it's not guaranteed. The fun part is that they'll tell you that you're getting one even though they know the owner of the company will never let it go through.
Poor benefits and pay.
Unless you're on sales, prepare to have the company not pay any attention to you.
People who do work seem to get fired more often than people who don't.
The free coffee may horribly burn you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are three kinds of people at Vantage. The first won't pay any mind to anything bad about the company. The second kind already know all this and are trying to leave. The third are sticking around to make some money and to watch the company slowly fail.

Low Morale, Poor Business Environment. Stay Away!

I have been working at Vantage Laboratories

ProsGood way to get your foot in the door if you want to get into the software industry. There is free coffee in the break room. You collect a check every 2 weeks.

ConsThere are very little internal promotion and growth possibilities. A "promotion" generally means increased stress and responsibility with little or no monetary increase.
Very little is left up to the managers who are not allowed to think for themselves. No decision can be made without going through the CEO. Employee morale is very low. Salespeople are given astronomical quotas but get little to no support and very little commission. The turnover at this company is extraordinarily high. There is no focus on employee retention and well-being.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you decide to hire someone, then you should have enough faith in the person that he/she will get the job done. Treat your employees with more respect as it is earned and not given. Most importantly, pay your employees!

Good job security, but no advancement

Help Desk Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Vantage Laboratories

ProsThey are always hiring for every department.
No micromanaging of any kind.
Company caters quarterly meetings and throws a nice holiday party.

ConsThey are always hiring because people are quitting.
Employee morale is horribly low.
The pay is very very low.
Upper management needs to take their heads out of their butts and listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more money.
Listen to some of the suggestions your employees provide.
Go back to school to learn business management skills.

Morally Bankrupt Company with Poor "Leadership" STAY AWAY !!!!!!

Product Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vantage Laboratories

ProsThere seems to be some fairly talented technical people with a sophisticated product offerings.
The office offers free coffee and has a ping pong table in the break room ...

ConsI worked for a company that was bought by Vantage Laboratories and had a nightmare experience. The communication was poor at best .. the HR department was unresponsive, the reimbursement from company sponsored travel was often up to two months late and there were numerous times when management could not answer simple procedure questions. The vacation time offered was unsatisfactory, the benefits were minimal and even after working at the company for 8 months I was still not able to enroll in the 401K program ... which had 0% company matching contribution.
The company posted positions ... with certain salary offerings ... but when the job was offered to a qualified candidate ... they offered $30K less than what was originally offered ... The candidate wisely declined ... and the company opted to just not fill the position ..
The final straw and probably the most egregious offense by this company was the manner in which they handle their people ... My personal experience was absolutely horrendous .. I had an existing contract when my company was purchased by Vantage .. and I was told I would be offered a standard Vantage contract when my deal ended ... I was sent a letter 60 days before the contract expired ... and for the next 59.5 days ... no one at the company would answer any of my questions regarding the status of my employment ... after a dozen inquiries to the HR department ( most of which went unanswered ) I received an email ... 30 minutes before the end of the day to let me know that I was not going to have my contract renewed ... to say that getting an email termination notice was the lowest of lows ... but after thinking about it ... this seems to be the way Vantage operates ... my "supervisor" didn't have the moral compass to pick up the phone and offer a verbal explanation ... what a company !!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems that every decision that is made by the company is made by the owner / President .. and there are no other managers that have the authority to make decisions on their own. To think that the Owner of the company .. which employs over 500 people world wide, signs each and every expense check is absurd ... so if the owner is out of town ... or busy ... the employees do not get reimbursed in a timely fashion ..
Advice ... let your managers make decisions .. hire some people that will challenge the status quo and not stand idle by when they see people being mistreated ...

Family-like, inspiring atmosphere but few tangible benefits

New Hope, PA

ProsInspiring top-level executive leadership
Thinks big - often visionary
Diverse product portfolios in multiple domains
Good opportunities for personal advancement given personal commitment and performance
Decent family-like culture with quarterly companywide events

ConsRelatively poor benefits (unmatched 401k, few holidays/vacation/sick time, lower salary pool)
Loosely defined matrix management structure is not for everyone
Very high turnover rates with little done to retain employees

Advice to Senior ManagementMore competitive packages
More clearly defined opportunities for advancement

Growing Company

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Vantage Laboratories

ProsDecent compensation, nice people, strong growth, plenty of opportunities to promote, growth from within, constantly hiring, free coffee, out of office events, employee of the month, fun,

ConsLocation could be better, upper management seems distant, heavy work load at times,

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more,

Worked for Vantage Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vantage Laboratories reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vantage Laboratories CEO Robert Patrylak. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Vantage Laboratories employees.