Vantage

Nikou Mohajerani

Loved it

Current Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Vantage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Such a fun place to work with an amazing opportunity. All you have to do is work hard and want to make money. If you have the drive and motivation, give it a shot. If you are lazy, stay away.

Cons

Requires long hours if you want to set your goals high, hit them, and move up in the company fast. I wanted to become an owner ASAP so I worked as hard as possible to earn it.

Keep it up!

The perfect opportunity... for the right person - NOTE: I could be wrong! This is based on 3 days of experience

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Vantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Short Version:
    Truly incredible coworkers and leaders
    Superb corporate culture
    Quick advancement opportunity
    Almost unlimited earning potential
    Paid crash course in business

TL;DR Version:
    You get to work with AMAZING people who really care about their coworkers, who have their priorities in order, who are working to grow as people and as professionals. The corporate culture is just really fantastic, and there is insane earning and advancement potential. It is a promising program which will teach you almost everything about owning and running a business. They do this because they are looking to train future management ASAP. Employees who perform well can expect to advance in the company within 2-4 weeks and begin training new recruits. Those who continue to excel can expect their own office location and their own staff within a year. I spoke to multiple people who had advanced that quickly. HOWEVER...

Cons

Short Version:
    Unpaid Training
    No benefits
    Poor work-life balance
    Demanding schedule: 9 hours M-F + 6 hours Sun

TL;DR Version:
    The three day, 8-9 hours a day training is unpaid. Candidates are informed of that, though they have to ask carefully. I don't think that's deviousness on the part of the company; I think they pay structure is just complicated, and it's easy to get confused or misunderstand. The entry level position is a sales position, and it does involve approaching strangers at a retail location all day long, up to 50 people per hour, in order to pitch them a product or service. The things you pitch are of good quality which are useful to the right consumer, but customers are understandably resistant to being approached for any reason. The earnings are commission based. There is a minimum wage safety net, but anyone performing at minimum wage level will be asked to leave in short order. Employees are scheduled for 8 hours, but are paid for 7, because there is a mandatory 1 hour lunch, which employees are very subtly discouraged from taking (by their peers, not by managment) in favor of gaining more sales. In addition, many employees stay an additional unpaid hour in the evening to gain more sales. This all sounds bad, but it makes a certain sense from a commission-based standpoint, since pay in centered on leads, not hours. The pressure to perform is intense. While your team is motivated to help you succeed, and then will try to teach you and refine your approach, if you don't get the numbers, you will be cut. There are no benefits at any level of the company as far as I know, though I never asked directly about the salaried upper management positions. Those who advance to the 3rd level (2-3 months) seem to have enough money to not need them. This is a great position for charismatic people with nerves of steel. Those who can hack it are richly rewarded.

Final notes: I am the ultimate skeptic, yet in three days they managed to convince me that they were everything that they seemed to be. I strongly encourage those who fit the profile to try it out. But if you have some nagging doubts after three days, if you just don't know if it's for you, don't beat yourself up, or let the company tell you that you aren't working hard enough. This job is not easy. It is not for everyone. If it's not for you, appreciate the opportunity you got, remember the experience fondly, and move on. Maybe come back to this site and write about what happened. ;)

I would urge you to develop that sincerity you already have with your employees. Most of the time, I was shocked and amazed by how open and honest the management at this company seemed to be. It was incredibly refreshing to feel like I could trust my boss, that my leaders were just laying it all out on front street, nothing to hide, no hidden agenda. However, there are times when I felt as though the marketing strategies being taught to your employees, which I can and will not detail, as they are proprietary and thus confidential, were being used on your employees, particularly new ones. Maybe it's because that is effective. All companies try to maximize the productivity of their employees in some way or another, and maybe that's an effective way to retain recruits when they are struggling with adapting to the program. Appealing to impulse is certainly more cost-effective than compensating those who are learning the ropes and thus not yet effective at earning commission. But whatever the reason, it felt like manipulation, and it made the whole company seem more suspicious, more like a scam. And it must be said that perhaps I am wrong, and there is no actual conscious effort to use those impulse strategies on your employees. In that case, I would suggest that you might be applying pressure subconsciously. As you read this, you may feel very defensive. I implore you to revisit my earlier comments, and remember that I left your employ with the firm opinion that Vantage is a wonderful company offering a wonderful opportunity, one for which I regret I am not better-suited. I am merely offering a note of caution or an alternate viewpoint, in the event that what I felt was not merely a misconception. Let me give you a few examples to substantiate what I've said. The first thing which made me uneasy was the way in which that compensation for the next few months was described in detail, but compensation for the next few days of training was glossed over. (This may have been unintentional, as I mentioned above. It simply elicited unease.) My next pang of hesitation came when I had to ask several times before someone would explain to me precisely when I was expected to work. I knew when I should arrive the next day, but had no idea when I was working past that. When I finally got an answer, it was presented as though it should be obvious that I was expected to work 6 days a week. I didn't mind the schedule itself, I just didn't like the implication I felt, that by asking about the schedule I was less dedicated to the work. My dissatisfaction was compounded during the days of my training: first, we were expected to arrive 15 minutes early, which was fine; then, I was informed that most employees stayed an hour later than required in order to get more sales, which again made sense from a commission-based pay point of view; but I did get distinctly uncomfortable when it became obvious that none of my coworkers took more than one or two 5-10 minute breaks during their 9 hour shifts. There was a definite subtle pressure, a sense that actually taking even 30 minutes of our 1 hour unpaid lunch was something only lazy employees would do. Over the days of my training, I asked many blunt and brutally honest questions of my trainers, because I wanted to know about the company behind the enthusiastically repeated rhetoric of quick advancement. My trainers were wonderfully patient with my questions, but it was obvious that my skepticism was not really a valued quality in a candidate. I continued pressing, however, because I had been taken advantage of by employers before. The more I asked for specifics, the more rhetoric I encountered. They honestly seemed confused that I would doubt the company's smooth phrases. I only managed to explain my reservations by talking about how I had once been a hostess for six weeks, each day being told that my server training would start "the next week." My trainer seemed shocked that I thought Vantage would do something like that. I couldn't believe how much I felt like the only person who had ever asked if this program was represented truthfully in its marketing campaign! The many many times I was counseled to stop holding back and dedicate myself to the program really made me feel that somehow I was being fleeced. The biggest red flag I had was on my third day of training, when the newly appointed regional manager delivered a rousing speech to her employees, including myself and four other trainees. She orated enthusiastically about how those who didn't succeed in her program and dropped out of training did so because they simply didn't want it bad enough, how they were just lazy and didn't want to work hard enough to succeed. One account manager tried to suggest that this program also just wasn't for everyone, a sentiment with which I wholeheartedly agree. The regional manager, however, disagreed with him. She seemed like she was usually quite kind, intelligent and reasonable, but on this point she was unbending: anyone who left the program, did so out of laziness and lack of ambition. After the meeting, I was asked to stay back and speak to her in her office. There, she asked me if I thought that I was in the right program. I didn't mind being asked, and I quite enjoyed talking with her, but I had the distinct impression that I was called in because I had been skeptical of the program at first, and it felt as though that skepticism was being chastised. The whole training experience combined being enthusiastically recruited with being evaluated and just barely qualifying to make one disingenuous whole. To repeat, I don't know if this was intentional, and it didn't stop me from liking and respecting everyone at Vantage, or from eventually concluding that the program was in fact genuinely valuable. And I speak from a position of optimistic naïveté; I know that what I've described is par for the course in the business world, and thus barely worth comment. However, since Vantage is a place so full of genuine and outstanding people which has such a positive and transformative culture, I hope that you find a way to present yourselves and this terrific opportunity that feels more authentic.

BEWARE SCAM!!!

I worked at Vantage

Pros

They lie to you and are scammers! They will tell you they are hourly vs commission until you get there and realize it's 100% commission!

Cons

Perfect word! They are truly CON ARTISTS! There is no opportunity for growth within the company! You are slave owners!

Stop lying to people and working them like slaves for 100% commission and making them travel to brainwashing seminars to get them to believe the BS dreams you are selling to them! You all are some CON ARTISTS!!!

Cautious

I have been working at Vantage

Pros

Seems like a good positive atmosphere, everyone is real nice and friendly.

Cons

There seems to be some bad reviews of this company on other website which makes me reconsider

Vantage Response

Aug 19, 2014PR

Thank you for your feedback about Vantage Co. We strive to maintain a positive atmosphere and provide opportunities to all of our team members. We appreciate your positive feedback about our company ... More

Real

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Vantage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been able to accomplish so much with Vantage. I started out just like everybody else in the program, and through my hard work and dedication, along with the guidance of management, I have been given the opportunity to manage my own marketing firm. The opportunity is so REAL!

Cons

Hard hard work. Must be willing to grow both professionally and personally. Must have a strong work ethic and student mentality. Not for your average 9-5er, Must be looking for a career.

Keep striving for excellence.

An awesome opportunity!!

I have been working at Vantage full-time

Pros

During my time at Vantage I truly gained a wealth of knowledge and experience. I came into Vantage not knowing what to expect; looking at it like just another job. Little did I know; that working with this company would be far more than just a job, but an amazing opportunity and an outstanding experience. I’ve learned so many things about business, about life, and even about myself; most of which I may not have learned had I not taken this opportunity and gained this experience.

Cons

This career definately is not for the weak. This is an amazing opportunity for growth and progression, not only professionally, but in life as well. So if you're not driven, excited, hard working, open to a fast paced and diverse working environment; this may not be the place for you.

An experience that help open my perspective on life!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Vantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If your looking for a team atmosphere it's there, if your looking to grow in the business world it's there, if creativity is what fuels you work for Vantage!

Cons

No one said getting to the top would be easy, but hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.!!

Be the Labor great or small do it well or not at all.!!

Vantage review

I have been working at Vantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are driven, self motivated and love a challenge then this is the place for you! An individual will receive all the training they can handle and learn more in 6 months than they would in an entire 4 year university, I know I did! Great staff who is energetic and great to work with!

Cons

The opportunity is very demanding and fast paced. You have to work harder than you ever have to reach a management position, which is a good thing! I like to think of Vantage as the nba of marketing. A lot of people play high school ball, not a lot play in college and even less make it to the nba a.k.a management!

Kind staff, Horrible work.

I worked at Vantage

Pros

Staff is upbeat and very positive.

Cons

This place is MLM-style marketing although Vantage prefers to sell it as direct marketing. The job entails having to power walk all day long chasing down customers within The Home Depot to convince consumers to agree to an appointment with a designer. Vantage simply does not pay you enough for what they ask you to do. If you manage to pass your probationary period (in which you work for free) and become full-time, they pay you minimum wage of up to 40 hrs a week (no overtime is compensated, but trust me they expect you to work about 50+ hrs a week) OR commission. It's really really rough work. No benefits are given. There is an 80% turnover rate for a reason. It's easy to see why there's always so many new faces in and out of their office every day even though there's promise of big money. It's simply not worth it. Watch out. If it acts, looks, and talks like a pyramid scheme company...then it probably is a pyramid scheme company.

Vantage Response

Jul 15, 2013PR

Vantage strives to provide a positive work environment with career opportunities to all that join our team. It is our intention to always act in the best interest of our team members and our clients ... More

Best Company Ever!

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Vantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people in the company are amazing, have great attitudes and are genuinely happy to be there!

Cons

There are no cons with this company!

Keep up the great work!