Vantiv

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
2.0

Charles D. Drucker

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are competitive (in 3 reviews)

• Matched 401k, average benefits, tuition reimbursement, company cafe "overpriced" good experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not one person of color is in upper management (in 6 reviews)

• Until recently, Vantiv was basically Fifth Third with a new paint job (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging yet fullfilling

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst III in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vantiv as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Cons

Communication between departments is an issue. It seems difficult to get them to work together even though it would benefit the company as a whole.

Make it easier for contractors who have proven themselves worthy and opportunity to become fulltime Vantiv Employees.

Random projects.

I worked at Vantiv

Pros

Willing to trust with client private information.

Cons

No clear sense of direction. Changes regularly.

Have a clear plan for projects and stick with it.

Fair pay, progressive company, going through growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Vantiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced and aggressively seeking growth opportunities = lots of opportunity. Going through a lot of restructuring trying to find the best operating model.

Cons

Fast pace plus lots of change = quite a bit of stress. Constant flux in the operating model and the constant influx of work mean there's lots to do within very tight timelines.

National Sales

Current Employee - National Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - National Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Vantiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The money and some of the people.

Cons

Everything - management style is from the 80s and older banker, no strategy, no clear cut direction, no collaboration and no communication or transparency. Inter department competitiveness which is a HUGE time waste, off shore many jobs so no cohesiveness with technology. Departments which need full time employees are the ones off shored like technology. The company is like an old "boys" club that covers for poor management. It is way to top heavy with AVPs, EVPs and SVPs. The board should look at cutting the redundancy which exits in managment HUGE waste of money.

Learn new updated management styles like LRN. Remove some of the dual management roles within corporation. Hire IT within corporate instead of off shoring most of these jobs to save money. Create original plans and strategy that has not already been done in the industry ten years ago. The communication and transparency within departments let alone divisions is not existent. I wish the board would take a hard look at ALL the broken systems and top heavy management at corporate. Vantiv has not had an original thought in the last ten years. IF they want to be a technology company hire a CEO who has ran a technology company then see what happens. All the senior executives with the exception of one or two need their golden parachutes and need to leave IF the investors want to see a profit in the next five years. The investors have to see what this CEO has done for the last seven years - nothing!

The company went through a series of transformation steps to evolve IT and unlock much needed growth.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Vantiv full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New and innovative ways to accelerate transformation in IT and in the payments industry; IT taking a different and exciting role in the company; salary and benefits

Cons

It is a company in transition and some colleagues have a difficult time letting go of the old way of doing things. New management is coming through, their ideas and and approaches are making the company better.

Be patient. Folks will eventually get it.

Accept a job at Vantiv if you really need a job, but continue your job search after you begin

Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Vantiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's close to home and parking is free

Cons

Daily tasks
    • The job that was in the job description, and for which I interviewed does not exist at Vantiv. The day to day requirements are so different from the position description that I feel deceived. I have had to refuse to interview other job candidates for openings here because I cannot deceive others, selling them on a job that does not exist. This is common throughout the company.
    • My job lacks meaning, has no impact and is unsatisfying

Work environment
    • I have no control, even over my own work
    • Authority is concentrated in a very few individuals. SVP’s and C level executives get involved in the simple and silly decisions and control meaningless activities like ordering lunches, choosing colors for a meeting theme or selecting wallpaper styles.
    • You will be disempowered.
    • Constantly taking orders from less qualified and less capable people whose authority stems from many years at the company, commonly as a telephone customer service rep or supervisor. Many are uneducated and unqualified for their positions.

Leadership
    • Vantiv fires good, hard-working people based on whim and impulse (I can name 15 – 20).
    • Restructurings are routine and done without any rational explanation.
    • Managers and executives are unpredictable and erratic and operate largely on ego, demonstrating their personal power and authority rather than skill or competency
    • The company continues to hire many highly paid (when I say highly paid, I mean in excess of $250,000) people from First Data, or from companies that have been acquired.

Company culture
    1. The company encourages employees to gossip and report on each other, which destroys cohesion and trust while creating an environment of suspicion. I feel surveyed, paranoid and worthless. Once lost, the trust and cohesion cannot be regained. Because of this, I trust no one here. Others feel the same way.

2. There is a pervasive practice of going over people’s heads to express dissatisfaction, “concerns” or other negatives. (See above: Mangers are unpredictable and erratic and demonstrate their personal power over others) This is openly encouraged.

3. Very cliquey. Almost a caste system. You are either in or you are out. You will know with certainty which you are. Management participates in it and cultivates it.

4. If you’re in the clique or otherwise favored, you can do no actual work, or produce shamefully poor work that in any other company would be deserving of some corrective action.

5. Performance goals are ridiculous and no real performance measures exist. Because of this, any sort of recognition, advancement or other personnel action is capricious and based on subjective evaluation and clique status. PEs are used to intimidate and gain conformity

6. Meetings are laugh-out loud funny. People roll their eyes and shake their heads. Its embarrassing, but these people cant be embarrassed.

These guys don't care about advice. They are all short-timers who know they will leave in a year or two with millions. I have worked here for 4 years and have not even seen the CEO. This maybe because he lives in Iowa and commutes in a day or two per week.

Call Center Agent

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Vantiv full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The co-workers are helpful because they also know how crappy Vantiv.

Cons

Lack of training, poor leadership & money hungry sr leaders.

There are people that have been dedicated to this company for a long time that are being treated like trash. Only caring about the bottom dollar causes you to loose knowledgeable, dependable, loyal people. How many times can you start the same process over & over again? Making the donuts as one member of sr leadership stated. Catch a clue Vantiv buying companies is not the path to success, caring for your staff & showing them application causes better work & success.
    Thank you for letting me go, best push I ever received. 12 years for the same company doesn't mean anything.

So much wasted potential

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Vantiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing and full of quality employees. The pay is good and the bonus program is one of the best I have experienced.

Cons

Lack of direction by upper management and the outsourcing of IT has made it nearly impossible to do your job.

Start spending money to support the technology needed in the back office to support the growth the company has experienced. Also, allow managers to make decisions.

Solid company to work for

Former Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Vantiv full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Data processing company with good market share

Cons

Gap in pay between workers and executives is significant

Improve overall compensation for workforce.

Project manager

I worked at Vantiv

Pros

Fast moving dynamic company, always looking to expand into new revenue verticals. Great for shares.

Cons

Sr mgt dialed into the day to day details, which leads to errors in decisions

More concerned about thier equity positions