Vanu

Add Photos

Vanu Bose

good while it lasted

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prossmart people, newish technology, great location

Consconstant churn in projects, business goals were not always obvious

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck!

The management is not efficient.

ProsCompensation is fair. It's a C++/Linux shop, which is nice if you're into that sort of thing. Most of the engineers are pretty sharp.

ConsCommunication between different sectors of the company is abysmal. There is literally no explanation from anyone what is supposed to being done at any given time, making the process of developing software difficult or impossible. The company continually changes direction, making for a large amount of wasted development effort. The layer of middle management currently in place is incapable any decision-making. I've never seen anyone promoted in my time there. Managers are always hired from the outside, meaning that they often have no experience with software or the sector that we're in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't always hire from outside. Justify your decisions to the rest of the company. Provide requirements for software. Don't hold people accountable for fictional deadlines.

Steer clear of this train wreck.

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsSmart people. Smart People. word5.

ConsThe indiscriminate rounds of firings. The company running out of money. Most of the smart people are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn engineering company, does in fact, need engineers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You'd better not be in it for the money.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsVery flexible about time-off requirements and balance of personal life. Telecommuting is accepted to facilitate employee schedules. Engineering is run as a full UNIX/Linux shop, no usage of Microsoft products is required or expected.

ConsPoor compensation. Virtually no path for advancement within the company, or for compensation increases. Extremely capricious promotions to very high level positions. Hard work not rewarded financially. Lack of compensation increases or promotion paths provides no disincentive for slow/poor performance.

Purchasing budgets appear incomprehensible, resources are scarce in some departments, and sit idle in others.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and reward talent within the organization. Emphasize communication from upper level management. Realize that upper level management should explain/justify their decisions to "regular staff".

Best Company to work with

ProsGr8 work culture & free hand to work

ConsNo cons at this moment

prioritization not optional

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGood, smart, engineers. A cool idea even if it didn't turn out well.

ConsThere's an old saying that if you chase two rabbits, you will catch neither. Turns out if you chase twenty rabbits with only three people and change which rabbits twice a week, you won't catch them either.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a little late for advice, but for next time... you can't blame your underlings when you haven't been paying attention.

Worked for Vanu? Contribute to the Community!