Varian Medical Systems

Varian Medical Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Varian Medical Systems President & CEO Dow R. Wilson

Dow R. Wilson

Pros:
  • "Work life balance, respectful mangement"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great mission, great products, good people, excellent corporate culture"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is nearly impossible, but not many great paying jobs will offer that"
    in 3 reviews
  • "There is a lot of lip-service from upper management saying things that are not true"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The only thing good is the people

Prosfriendly co-workers and good environment

Conspay, raise, bonus, strict work from home policy

All stick, no carrot, old equipment, under staffed, micromanagers

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsPay is ok for engineers

ConsForced shut downs, forced vacations to hit numbers. Senior managers will micromanage at all levels to work on pet projects and constantly pull people away from their main responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employee's as people not property. Invest in modernizing.

good company with a great employee workforce, the only problem is the raises

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

Prosgreat benefits, lots of cool health fair bonuses, for simply being healthy and also profit sharing is nice

Consraises are tough, its best to move departments or leave the company to get a significant raise it forced me to look elsewhere

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company - unbalanced life

ProsBenefits are top tier and competitive.

ConsWork-life balance is nearly impossible, but not many great paying jobs will offer that.

Final Test Technician

ProsBest company I will probably ever work for

ConsLots of Over Time can be a con.

Good company.Improvement needed.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI love my job.Company takes care for employees.I wish all companies are like that.If you like to stay forever to work in production,then this is excellent place to work for.If you think about moving your career upward,it will not be the best place for you.

ConsI work for Varian in Salt Lake City.It is family place.That mean management will always give a job or promotion to family member.You can have better education,experience...Nothing matters.You have to be family connected to management to be first in line for promotion.I applied for different management positions and never got any.Sometimes not even an interview.I am Masters Degree holder,VA,experienced in managing people,speak German and Chinese.Sometimes I apply for position that require German or Chinese language.Somehow people that do not speak any foreign language get that position.It is sad to be production worker and have Masters Degree.I am having interviews with GE and Adobe so I hope they will recognize my talent.I come from minority.I feel my disadvantage in Varian is because I am member of minority group.I see diversity among production workers,not among management.Few people made it.Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI see every day big sign that Varian is EOE.Yes,it is on that piece of paper.Please think about how to attract the best talent not just family members.

IT manager

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsFriendly. Integrity in management team. Pace is not too fast allowing work life balance.

ConsPace is not as fast as other Siicone Valley companies.

Constant paycheck discrepancies for Sales force

Oncology Sales (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent Linac maker. The brand alone as a Sales employee will get you in the door easier than any other vendor.

ConsIncompatibility internal systems communication leads to inaccurate record keeping for both sales and service contracts. Constant paycheck discrepancies (always fighting to get paid what you are due) and comp plan changes at fiscal year end (almost every year) typically results in lower than anticipated annual salary. Annual sales quotas have recently become not achievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the typical sales employee expected to bring in more than $40,000,000 each year, they can be paid a little better.

Who's running the show?

Palo Alto, CA

ProsExcellent employees, very knowledgable, sincere and friendly. Good salary, ok benefits, and good educational opportunities. If your a middle manager you can easily hide in the fold.

ConsDirect, middle, and some high management seem clueless, disorganized and arrogant. Old world middle management style disables the employees connection to the company. Forced vacations to cut costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone contributes the the companies success. Treat all employees like they count.

great

Prosgreat company, good pay, meaningful work, lots to learn, room to grow, stay busy

Conscontinuous pressure to increase production

Worked for Varian Medical Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Varian Medical Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Varian Medical Systems CEO Dow R. Wilson. All 117 reviews posted anonymously by Varian Medical Systems employees.