Varian Medical Systems

Varian Medical Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Varian Medical Systems President & CEO Dow R. Wilson

Dow R. Wilson

Pros
  • Work life balance, respectful mangement(in 9 reviews)

• Great mission, great products, good people, excellent corporate culture(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible, but not many great paying jobs will offer that(in 3 reviews)

• No career growth based on individual performance, need to stay atleast 5-6 yrs to even grow next level(in 3 reviews)

Good place to work

ProsGreat feeling knowing that each employee has a role in helping people. It's also good to see that same spirit with the people I work with. Management has really made an effort to unite all parts of the company into a positive direction and make sure that communication lines are open.

ConsEnacting measures to cut costs while maintaining quality; this is a good thing and will help us stay profitable and keep our workforce. It's just that it adds a little pressure in every aspect of our work.

Safe,steady but slow!

Software Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prosstable company with great products and safe is this hard economy to stick too

Consold school,no bonus or 1% yrly bonus(max),avg iteration of ppl =1% may be,so none leaves-hence its stangant mind set of ppl in middle management...anyone is from european non-indian will be becom manager

Advice to Senior Managementcreate bottom up clarity.empower low people and prmote them,pay good bonus..salary is as per texas area standarad not as per bay area

A little overworked, a little underpaid

ProsI really like our foundation, the message that we stand behind, and the product that we deliver. I am very proud to be apart of that. They offer outstanding benefits and are relatively flexible with the work-life balance.

ConsManagement seems a little dated- no one leaves the company and no one new is brought in for fresh ideas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company with 65 year history in Silicon Valley.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsOne of the first Silicon Valley companies, with a long history of innovative, high quality products. Truly, strives to add customer value.

ConsOver the years the company has grown extremely conservative, sluggish and "corporate". The present company is NOT for those who want a dynamic, fast-paced tech company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the company's and founder's roots and bring the company back to the leading edge of human and social capital theory, and more aggressive product revolution.

Best Job Ever!

ProsThere are alot of employees at Varian that have been with the company for 10-20+ years because it is an awesome company to work for. Medical benefits are great for families, plenty of days off plus the option to borrow more time off, and a Christmas shutdown for a week. The company has money to spend spend so everyone has the supplies and tools they need to do their job. The employees are very nice. No office gossip or drama at all! Everyone is prety l;aid back and very understanding. Good work/life balance. Very little stress. Tons of training on variety of topics. Education reimbursement program. Cafeteria has amazing food and employees get a pretty good discount. FREE gym with free exercise group classes all day!!! This is only the tip of the iceberg! Too many perks and benefits to mention. Ok, so they basically spoil you!

ConsIT is a pain. They send your IT request to India. It takes a day for someone to get back to you only to tell you they can't help you and need to dispatch someone on site. Meanwhile, you can't print or whatever the priblem is for almost two days before anything is resolved. HR is horrific! Avoid them like the plague. Some of the employees feel entitled. A lot of moaning and complaining about not wanting to do their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore corporate events would be nice, but overall great job!!!

Stable company with great people and culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood opportunities for growth. Great culture. Stable and profitable company.

ConsSome middle management philosophy improvements needed

Ok experience

Design (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsBenefits, Salary, Casual Atmosphere, bonus, the product

ConsMicro Managed Atmosphere, inexperienced managers, negative culture

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better culture for employees

Great place to work

ProsA solid place to work for. A huge percentage of people have been with company for decades yet it has not slowed ability to innovate.
    Everyday, the work you do contributes to saving a life.

ConsLikes to run lean for a resource standpoint. Though it potentially means job security it also means that there is much more demand and pressure to produce more in less time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take advantage of the dedication of the people who care about what this company does, hire the right amount of resources to do what needs to be done.

Overall - great company!

Manager, District Field Operations (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsMy team, as well as individuals from other functions, were very dedicated and knowledgeable. The customers (Medical Physicists and Radiation Therapists) were highly professional, yet very caring and personable. I occasionally had the opportunity to interact with patients. In spite of the trials they were going through (cancer treatments), they were consistently friendly (some with a great sense of humor!) and appreciative of what we – through our product and their health providers – were doing for them.

ConsThe sheer volume of work was the challenge! It was constant triage to see what items were delayed or had to slip completely in order to meet the higher priorities. While the frequent travels were fine, the actual travel time, especially driving, wasn’t really “built” into the job load. If a week of travel included 20+ hours of actual drive time, that lost time came out of personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate job scope with respect to travel. Reduce unnecessary reporting requirements, and provide evidence of how reporting is used and subsequent improvements.

Challenging and rewarding

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsOverall Varian is a great company to work for. They seem to be concerned about the folks in the field when trying to meet our needs, both personal and professional.

ConsPoor oversight of low level managers.

Worked for Varian Medical Systems? Contribute to the Community!