Varian Medical Systems Reviews

32 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Friendly but inefficient work environment

Former Employee - Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Varian has a great mission: fighting cancer and save life's. There is a great effort in bringing innovation to the radiation oncology field

Cons

Unfortunately, lack of experience and synergy with the rest of the oncology market make most of these efforts go wasted. Also, career opportunities are very poor, unless you are among the 5-10% people blessed by senior management.

Advice to Management

Medical guidance should drive the company more, not just engineers. Careers opportunities are too few, causing a poor retain of talents.

Great stability, but very little upward mobility.

Current Employee - Manufacuring Technician in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacuring Technician in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Varian is the quality of life. Its a very stable company with great benefits. The human resources department is very helpful and always doing a great job representing the staff.

Cons

I have been here for three years now and I have to say that there are very limited promotions. I have a college degree and continue to excel within my department, but I have not seen many opportunities for growth. Lateral movement is available if you are lucky but if you are looking for a chance to move up or explore other oppportunities with the company it is very difficult. The main reason is that this place is like the DMV, it is flooded with people who have been working for many years and do not want to retire. MIx that with job stability and you can see why it is almost impossible to move up. Many managers have the mentality that you have to put in the years before you can progress instead of basing your progress off your work and professionalism. Also within the three years that I have been hear I have seen quite a few hiring freezes. If you plan on working here, do NOT start at the bottom...

Advice to Management

For manufacturing, try and be more professional at the work place. We are global company that excels by making the best products. Our behavior and image should reflect this.

Innovative technology archaic management

Former Employee - Installation Project Manager
    Former Employee - Installation Project Manager

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a part of the team that brings the best solutions to market. Varian has set the standard for radiation oncology and is on the cutting edge of new innovations. If you enjoy being on the road this job is for you. While demanding at times the influx of work was pretty cyclical ebbs and flow. The ability to work from your home office provided a lot of flexibility and management was pretty good about allowing time off as long as you were able to find a backup.

Cons

The installation management team was stuck in the stone age; typical "good 'ole boys club", if they didn't like you good luck getting anything pushed through. Management was ridged to listen to manager suggestions and input on how to streamline project planning documentation and report submission. This job requires upwards of 75% travel and if you have a family or loved ones that like to see you this may not be the best fit. Here you will be just another number keep your head down and mouth shut and you will maintain a job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team in the filed they know what they need and stop adding busy work just for reporting purposes. Request more assistance and accountability from sales; hold sales managers accountable for when they misquote or promise an unattainable install date. Hire more people!

Stable but stagnant

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, established and respected company with steady profit growth. Product is health-care related and company has good ethics. Good work-life balance. Mufti-disciplinary projects. Multi-cultural atmosphere. If you are looking for stability and don't care if you do the same thing for 20 years, this is it. If you have a family and want to have dinner with them, this is a good place.

Cons

No opportunities for lateral movement. Bureaucratic to the point of ridiculous--product life cycle is cumbersome and admin-heavy. Mid- to lower-level management more interested in finger-pointing than solving process problems. Priority is to see butts in chairs, not productivity. Slow to innovate (however, product is quite dangerous). Difficult to coordinate with teams in other parts of the world.

Advice to Management

More telecommuting options. Productivity can be measured by quality and quantity of work rather than time employee spends in their chair. Working in groups is not productive for all disciplines. Give people opportunities to move laterally.

Favorism for certain language speakers

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time

Pros

The company's motto is really good to cure cancer for patients.

Cons

If you are in Engineering, better you speak "Hindi". Otherwise, Look for something else. Place to know the meaning of "unorganized/unethical". Such a big company, so messy. Many small companies in valley are way better.

Advice to Management

Look at your project managers. Don't get mesmerized with fancy words such as Lean project managment. It means PMO get to do nothing than forwading emails and appointment scheduling for meetings. You can get that done by

A place I used to love to work.

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits of product I believe in.

Cons

Lack of support and investment to make real and lasting change. Compensation that hasn't increased in five years even though performance reviews are positive. Growth opportuities are rare.

Advice to Management

In my opinion we have a poor management structure, although I don't believe the same holds true for our corporate team. I would love to see more opportunities where employees can become engaged and appreciated.

All stick, no carrot, old equipment, under staffed, micromanagers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is ok for engineers

Cons

Forced shut downs, forced vacations to hit numbers. Senior managers will micromanage at all levels to work on pet projects and constantly pull people away from their main responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Treat employee's as people not property. Invest in modernizing.

9. Great company - unbalanced life

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are top tier and competitive.

Cons

Work-life balance is nearly impossible, but not many great paying jobs will offer that.

Constant paycheck discrepancies for Sales force

Former Employee - Oncology Sales
    Former Employee - Oncology Sales

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time

Pros

Excellent Linac maker. The brand alone as a Sales employee will get you in the door easier than any other vendor.

Cons

Incompatibility internal systems communication leads to inaccurate record keeping for both sales and service contracts. Constant paycheck discrepancies (always fighting to get paid what you are due) and comp plan changes at fiscal year end (almost every year) typically results in lower than anticipated annual salary. Annual sales quotas have recently become not achievable.

Advice to Management

With the typical sales employee expected to bring in more than $40,000,000 each year, they can be paid a little better.

Who's running the show?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent employees, very knowledgable, sincere and friendly. Good salary, ok benefits, and good educational opportunities. If your a middle manager you can easily hide in the fold.

Cons

Direct, middle, and some high management seem clueless, disorganized and arrogant. Old world middle management style disables the employees connection to the company. Forced vacations to cut costs.

Advice to Management

Everyone contributes the the companies success. Treat all employees like they count.

RSS Feed </> Embed