Varian Medical Systems

Updated September 7, 2014
3.7

Varian Medical Systems President & CEO Dow R. Wilson
Dow R. Wilson

Pros
  • They offer outstanding benefits and are relatively flexible with the work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great mission, great products, good people, excellent corporate culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible, but not many great paying jobs will offer that (in 3 reviews)

• Old world middle management style disables the employees connection to the company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Mission!

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

Love working at Varian. It provides me the work life balance needed at this point in my career and it feels good to be part of mission to save lives. I’m very excited about the future products we are working on. Knowing my children will not have to be as scared of the word cancer in the future is comforting as we are working really hard to design better treatment options.

Cons

Interacting with the staffing function within the past year has become horrible, just horrible. My team and I thought we were the only ones experiencing it but learned we are not alone. The words bully, nasty, and confrontational come to my mind, and it's obvious that upper management must be immune from this experience. Another con is that our pay isn’t as competitive compared to other companies within Silicon Valley.

stay the course!

Overall, a great company with great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It is a great feeling to be on a mission to help as many people as possible to overcome a really nasty disease. Everyone that I worked with is genuinely concerned with doing what they can to make treating cancer as effective as possible, which includes the patient and the treater that needs to operate the machine correctly. It is one of the rare companies I've seen in Silicon Valley where many people I met had worked there 10 or 15 years.

Cons

The reality of medical devices of this scale is there is lots of complexity in the machine and in the software. That fact, coupled with regulatory oversight, makes it very difficult to add/change/modify features. You have to be willing to jump in for the long term in order to make improvements.

Interesting job

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems

Pros

You get to travel all over and see the wold.

Cons

You have to travel all over the world.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Current Employee - Manufacuring Technician  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manufacuring Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

No micro management, interesting work

Cons

Fixed yearly raises, does not cater well to weekend/off shifts

None

Great Benefits, nice co-worker, decent salary but boring routine work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Varian is a great and well establish company, I was working with a group of higher educated people (30% of them are PHD), great benefits, you do get to learn a lot when I started working there. My immediate manager was kind, and he actually works, not just playing with PPT or projects timeline, he gets his hand dirty. So the environment there are more like working for a captain instead of being managed.

Cons

Unstable, during my time there, 2009-2012, there were lots of management change, 3 rounds of lay off.

Work gets boring real fast

Opportunity for moving up is VERY limited

My experience has been mixed. I have had great times but now I am getting burnt out.

Current Employee - Commodity Specialist  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Commodity Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is a lot of stability. The office culture is still stuck in the 70s-80s.

Cons

The salaries are not very competative for Silicon Valley however the benefits are fine and the stock does well.

In the past year there have been many additions to the management in Supply Chain but few or no workers to get the job done. The organization is also full of nepotism.

Good company, slow growth for career opportunities

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, casual culture, and positive mission

Cons

Slow career growth opportunities, slow to adopt business process improvements, old systems

Great Mission

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Our IT roadmap is fantastic. Our CIO is wonderful to work with and have a lot of confidence in her. Varian has great products that save lives. Feel like we are making an impact in patient lives in a positive way. We are growing at a nice pace. Great new cafeteria. I'm very proud to tell people I work for Varian and plan to be there for a long time.

Cons

IT budgets get tight sometimes and projects get delayed. Communication between business units can be improved. My team finds it disheartening working with the new HR staffing culture and that's a shame. Need more people in my group and always feel a little overstretched. Varian doesn't have a lot of younger employees.

Keep up with the great oncology product roadmap. Be careful not to hire new employees who clash with our long established friendly and respective culture. Continue to be conservative on the finances!

Good company. Excellent products.

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beyond state-of-the-art medical technology that actually can save lives.
    Stable market. Excellent world-wide engineering talent. Top-down search for excellence in execution: from the CEO to engineering, manufacturing and service.

Cons

Niche market. Modest growth. Too much resistance to change.

Invest a higher percentage of revenue in R&D. Decrease bureaucracy and too many layers of management. Achieve a better balance between an obsession with quarterly results vis a vis long-term goals. Expand beyond radiation oncology.

Software Enginneer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good, friendly work environment. Lots to learn and work on. Everyone is friendly

Cons

The only con is that the company has an older crowd of employees

Hire more young talent, Keep up the good work!

Worked for Varian Medical Systems? Contribute to the Community!